Columbia Pictures | Release Date: September 18, 2009
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 269 Ratings
Watch Now
HalfwelshmanSep 17, 2011
The only way to adequately describe this film is odd...really odd. It goes beyond quirky and verges absolute nutbaggery. It starts promisingly, and has some really nice effects, but at some point the plot takes a dive off a cliff. But maybeThe only way to adequately describe this film is odd...really odd. It goes beyond quirky and verges absolute nutbaggery. It starts promisingly, and has some really nice effects, but at some point the plot takes a dive off a cliff. But maybe that's what the creators of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs were going for - an absolute rejection of the conventional fantasy animation. It's easily among the most surreal film experiences I've ever seen, and that has it's charm, up to a point. But it would be nice to have a bit more characterisation in the mix as well. Worth seeing if only for a jelly castle and spaghetti twisters being realised on screen. Expand
mitchellkSep 27, 2009
Saw the movie in Imax 3d. I love Imax 3d. They probably could make a movie about grass growing or paint drying in Imax 3d and I'd love that too. The theater I went to needs to upgrade or change their glasses because the lenses were Saw the movie in Imax 3d. I love Imax 3d. They probably could make a movie about grass growing or paint drying in Imax 3d and I'd love that too. The theater I went to needs to upgrade or change their glasses because the lenses were getting a "puckered" wrinkled effect to them. Oh yeah, back to Meatballs. Like I said, they could make just about anything in Imax 3d and I'll see it and like it. So goes for this flick. Even though it made somewhat of an effort to be morally visceral, it failed. The relationship between Flint Lockwood and Dad just doesn''t work. James Caan's got about 6 lines in the whole movie. All the relationships weren't devolped much at all. Comedically, it's sporadically fun at best. Visually it's the bees knees. I really wish "Half Blood Prince" had more 3d in it. Expand
KennethS.Feb 15, 2010
The animation is pretty good, but not state-of-the art, and there are some funny moments in the story. The whole thing reminded me of SpongeBob, only with a more ridiculous and cliched plot.
RonaldSNov 14, 2009
I stopped watching after the pier scene where the weather woman sticks her feet in the inventors eyes. Is it just me or did they just cut and paste her from Monsters VS Aliens? It seemed like I was watching someone who escaped from that I stopped watching after the pier scene where the weather woman sticks her feet in the inventors eyes. Is it just me or did they just cut and paste her from Monsters VS Aliens? It seemed like I was watching someone who escaped from that movie in this one.. their CGI department hard up for talent to make a new character? Expand
JacobSep 26, 2013
Do not get me wrong this film is not terrible but it is not great either. I guess I more shocked at just how much of a positive response this film has gotten especially via WatchMojo’s Top Ten list and Spill Review. The major turn off for meDo not get me wrong this film is not terrible but it is not great either. I guess I more shocked at just how much of a positive response this film has gotten especially via WatchMojo’s Top Ten list and Spill Review. The major turn off for me is the cliché writing and unoriginal story. The saving grace of this film though is the characters who are energetic, to an extent likeable, and have a lot of charm. But I am not the intended audience of the film. Cloud With a Chance of Meatballs is a film made for children and as kids films go its ok it’s only when you look at as a film do the cracks start to show. If you are a parent and looking for something charming and safe to so your children this is the film to show them. If you’re not a child I’d say you can afford to skip this one. Nothing bad in this but at the same time nothing spectacular just a cute little film that will keep kids entertained nothing more. Expand
MovieGuysSep 26, 2013
The book is better, and more sanctioned, but the movie is okay for a Saturday afternoon when the kiddies want to watch something and you have nothing else better to do at that moment.
RayzorMooseNov 16, 2013
Cloudy with a chance of itchy balls.
Cloudy with a chance of itchy balls.
The movie is silly, gooey, and most of the time gross. The comedy isn't there, and the characters aren't very likeable. The animation is average at best. I really wouldn't recommend this even as a kids movie because its really just 5% story and 95% randomness.
eagleeyevikingJan 16, 2014
Although it is clichéd and undoubtely overhyped, Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs is funny and offers a visual treat which is hard to resist. (Especially for kids)
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
Striking4gold4Jul 13, 2017
I don't exactly hate this movie, I just find it highly overrated. I will say that the writing is clever and the heart works, not to mention the characters are funny, but with everything else, that's where the movie becomes mediocre. First,I don't exactly hate this movie, I just find it highly overrated. I will say that the writing is clever and the heart works, not to mention the characters are funny, but with everything else, that's where the movie becomes mediocre. First, there's the animation. Sure, the backgrounds are nice and detail gives the food a nice polish, but the characters just look too abstract for a feature length movie. The character animation doesn't help that aspect, as it tries to look way too cartoon-like, as if their bones were rubber chickens. But then there's the connection to the original book. Out of all the movies I've seen based on a children's book, this has to be the one that stays true to the source material the least. I will give it that it does explain how it rains food in a creative way, but where in the original bedtime story did it include an inventor, a food hurricane or a town that lives off sardines? Again, it does have some good qualities, but it's still a below average movie. Expand
bryanbezterMay 10, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great things about the movie:
1. The concept is very interesting, the story is not bad.
2. The animation is very great, the colors and world-building are fantastic.
3. Hilarious jokes and cartoonish characters make it enjoyable.
4. Good performances by Bill Hader as Flint Lockwood, Anna Faris as Sam Sparks, James Caan as Tim Lockwood, Bruce Campbell as Mayor Shelbourne, Andy Samberg as "Baby" Brent McHale, Mr. T as Officer Earl Devereaux, Bobb'e J. Thompson as Calvin 'Cal' Devereaux, and Benjamin Bratt as Manny.
5. Great lessons: acknowledgement, greediness, and responsibility.

Messages from the movie:
1. Everyone needs social life and wants to be part of the society, which means that everyone wants to be acknowledged. Flint wants to be understood and acknowledged by his father, just like his mother did to him, or officer Earl to Cal. He wants to be acknowledged that his inventions make the world a better place, he does not want to be bullied like when he was at school. Baby Brent also feels the same, that when he grows up, he could no longer be the famous and cute baby he was. That is why he was willing to fight the chickens, so that he could contribute to the society. Another example is Sam and her past. She was traumatized after she was bullied as a nerd.
2. Food that the people ask for shows greediness of humans, that we always want more, bigger, and better. The problem is when we try to feed our greediness without considering the consequences. In the movie, the food is abundant and there are so many leftovers. The people keep asking for more food as they like but they never finish what they ask for, in fact they just throw them away. The mayor is a great example of greediness and gluttony, not limited to food, but also wealth and fame. He wants to make the city famous from its tourism and take the city's fame as his own, discrediting the original contributors. He does not think anything else but himself.
3. Once again, with great power comes great responsibility. Flint invents and creates many outstanding machines and tools, but he never considers the consequences and risks, just like the shoes formula, bird-rat hybrid, walking-TV, and his infamous food machine, which cause heavy damage to everyone around the world. He knows that something wrong could take place, that is why he has the danger meter, but he only stops there. We should always consider our actions, especially if it could affect many people.