Focus Features | Release Date: February 6, 2009
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 717 Ratings
Watch Now
KayVen17Dec 30, 2018
Deutsche Review - Kritik Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt dasDeutsche Review - Kritik Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden? Dann sind hier meine Punkte. Punkte: 94/100 Expand
reviewfrom19842Sep 3, 2016
Not only a good movie for kid but adult to. It is entering for all ages The animation is fantastic the story is really dark so a kids movie in a good way and the charters are likeable.
JunelKeanJul 2, 2017
Animation has never been better with Laika as they have improved their stop motion technique over the past years from its movies like ParaNorman and The Boxtrolls. And one movie in particular, has been defined by history causing it to be anAnimation has never been better with Laika as they have improved their stop motion technique over the past years from its movies like ParaNorman and The Boxtrolls. And one movie in particular, has been defined by history causing it to be an animation milestone of our modern cinema and being Laika's first stop motion picture.

After Coraline (Fanning) moves on the Pink Palace with her parents (Hatcher & Hodgman) her life starts to become boring. But she is not aware that a portal to the Other World is opened and as she explores it, her life has been a dream come true. But little does she know, there are sinister secrets hidden behind its perfection.

The creativity and originality of this film is fantastically incorporated. The optimism could be observed all over the screen by using Henry Selick's eerie tone and bizzare techniques. But what makes Coraline so impactful, is its ability to reach to all of the ages, whether young or mature. It allows the audience to escape and be transported to a whole new universe of both exciting and exhilarating spectacle.

The nice musical score and beautiful visuals blend to form an appealing story that everyone would absolutely adore. Metaphorically moving with flying colors.
VirgonoShakaNov 21, 2017
Coraline has three aspects that work greatly: the production design: the colors, character designs, the enviroment, etc. are just great and so imaginative. 2- The story: it is so simple in its message but the main character is so charming andCoraline has three aspects that work greatly: the production design: the colors, character designs, the enviroment, etc. are just great and so imaginative. 2- The story: it is so simple in its message but the main character is so charming and presents the message in so simple but effective way. 3- The movement: while the movement is standard for the studio and with the style choosed, I have to say that some of the movements for the characters are just so natural and fun. I can definitely recomend to watch it for s heart, character, and a great lesson. Final verdict: 8.1 Expand
mrkrambeckFeb 13, 2017
“Coraline” Makes You Want to Get Your Butt-on Your Couch to See It “Coraline,” a dark fantasy movie, in my opinion was a fantastic movie. The movie was produced by Lakia Pandemonium. The director is Henry Selick, and the characters are“Coraline” Makes You Want to Get Your Butt-on Your Couch to See It “Coraline,” a dark fantasy movie, in my opinion was a fantastic movie. The movie was produced by Lakia Pandemonium. The director is Henry Selick, and the characters are Coraline (Dakota Fanning), Other Mother (Teri Hatcher), Miss Spink (Jennifer Saunders), Miss. Forcible (Dawn French), and Mr. Bobinsky (Ian McShane).
The movie “Coraline” follows Coraline Jones, an 11-year-old girl as she moves to the Pink Palace along with her parents. Coraline spends a lot of time outside since her workaholic parents neglect her, and meets a geeky and weird boy named Wybie and his black cat who lives with his grandmother who is the landlady of the Pink Palace Apartments. Coraline also meets Mr. Bobinski, the Russian acrobat, and Miss Spink and Forcible the retired actresses. Wybie gives her a doll that strongly resembles Coraline that she keeps with her. One night, Coraline follows a mouse that leads her to the small door that she found that day while exploring and travels through the hole that leads her to another, parallel world. Her parents in that world love her and do nice things with her unlike her real parents. These button-eyed characters are called Other Mother and Other Father. As Coraline goes to the other world, she is told not to go through the door, but she doesn’t understand why since that place has everything she ever wanted. But the more time she spends there, the more “creepy” things get and Coraline finally realizes that the other world may not appear as it seems. Some of the pros are that it’s able to be more enjoyable at a higher age, something can pop out of nowhere very unexpectedly, and the animation is stop-motion which is not too often seen in a movie. It also has very unique and diverse characters, like a talking cat or 80 year old show women. The only real criticism is that it can be very creepy for young children, and the plot can be stagnant at times. I thought that Coraline was a little scary at the part where her other mom and dad had buttons sewed to their eyes in the parallel world. The general feel to the movie however, like how it’s animated was very pleasing to look at. This movie also has a really interesting and engaging soundtrack that can make you want to move to it, or even be a little creeped out, like when Coraline is laying in bed trying to go to sleep. Another thing that I noticed is that strange customs like stuffing dead dogs so that you would not have to part with them. While “Coraline” may have a PG rating, you may want to consider if you would want your child to see it or not. I would recommend that the age groups that should watch it are around 13 and up. The reason for this recommendation is that kids may be scared of some intense scenes like jump scares and creepy events. Kids might not also understand the storyline, for it is very intricately written. But overall, for most people, this will be a very interesting movie to watch for a delicate story yet filled with action.
Final Movie Rating Out of Five Stars: Four Stars: * * * *
JORDYNP2021Feb 13, 2017
You will get lost in the movie “Coraline” “Coraline” will take you to a magical new world. The dark fantasy novella “Coraline”, written by Neil Gaiman, was developed for the screen and adapted by the screen by Henry Selik. Created in 2009 byYou will get lost in the movie “Coraline” “Coraline” will take you to a magical new world. The dark fantasy novella “Coraline”, written by Neil Gaiman, was developed for the screen and adapted by the screen by Henry Selik. Created in 2009 by Laika Entertainment, it is a fantasy thriller and is one hour and forty minutes long. Eleven year old Coraline Jones isn’t happy with her new life in Pink Palace Apartments. Her new house is dingy and falling apart, and there seems to be no one her age around, besides a weird boy named Wybie and his stray cat. Worst of all, her parents, especially her mom, seem not to care about anything Coraline does. When Coraline discovers a strange hidden door in their living room, she is thrilled to leave her boring and run down life. The door takes her into an alternate version of her world, one that gives Coraline everything she has ever wanted, including the ‘Other Mother’ that treats her as a princess. After several visits to the Other World and mysterious warnings from her eccentric neighbors, Coraline starts to question whether this ‘perfect world’ holds a dark and sinister secret. “Coraline” was an incredibly detailed stop-motion film. The dark fairy tale style of the animation really caught my eye. Coraline, Other Mother, and the other characters were detailed and each had their own, distinct personality.The intricate plot will keep entertained and anxious for what comes next, although it may be too complex for young viewers to fully understand the film. Some scenes may also be scary for children younger than 7. “Coraline” conveys the message to children and parents to appreciate one another. I would recommend this movie to children above the age of ten. The MPAA rating is PG, but some scary scenes and the intense plot may not be suitable for younger kids. Overall, I felt that this movie was extremely creative and unique. Our Rating 3.5 out of 5 stars. Expand
jurassic_jess6Feb 13, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “Coraline Has Us Sewn In From The Beginning” We just watched the movie “Coraline” and Laika Entertainment hit us hard with an easy movie for older kids to understand. The animation style in this movie is amazing it goes it extreme detail. This movie isn’t really appropriate for younger kids but if kid enjoys creepy Tim Burton Movies then they would enjoy this movie. Laika Entertainment once again made a genius movie for people wanting to watch animated movies that are gloomy.
In the movie “Coraline”, Coraline moves into here new apartment called the Pink Palace in the middle of nowhere. At first she doesn’t like the Pink Palace because she thinks it is boring and there is nothing to do. She found somebody named Wybie and he gave her a doll that looked just liked her. Her parents always are working and never have time for her. She goes looking around the house and finds the door. She goes into the kitchen and asked her mom for the key, her mom finds the key in a drawer and goes to open the door Coraline was talking about. She opens the door and it's a brick wall. Then it was time for bed, she went to her room and fell asleep and mice came in her room and woke her up and lead her to the little door. She opened the door and found there was an opening and it lead her to her other mother, who is a creepy and controlling. Watch this movie in order to find out Coraline’s fate. I really enjoyed this movie and the actors and how they put emotion into this movie. One of my favorite parts was when they went into the alternate reality and met the other parents. The animation was so bright and colorful. The garden scene is vibrant and makes you want to be in a garden. Coraline is known for her blue hair an d daring personality.What i didn’t like was how it had too many plot holes for you to figure out as the movie went on. A plot hole is basically how you have to figure out what happened without the movie directly telling what has happened.
I would recommend this movie to the age of 8 and up. An 8 year old may not understand it as well but they would still enjoy it. A 13 year old would understand some of the difficult topics like the alternate reality. This movie might scare little children because there is some parts where it can or may scare them. Its rated PG because of the images and some of the language. I also think it was a great movie because it explained a perfected story and it explained things really well but some parts did get confusing that's why we gave it a four star rating. 4 out of 5 stars rating
asdfghgggggggFeb 13, 2017
“Coraline”, Buttons You Up at the Start

“Coraline”, Buttons You Up at the Start

After I watched “Coraline” in English for a project, I haven’t been able to look at a button the same. Coraline is a PG animated fantasy / thriller movie. The producer of “Coraline” is Laika Entertainment. Some main character's voices include actors such as Dakota Fanning as Coraline, Teri Hatcher as the Mothers, and Ian McShane as Mr. Bobinsky. I enjoyed this film but I still have some critical thoughts.

Coraline and her parents move into The Pink Palace Apartments and it seems to be very bland and normal, but she comes to find this mysterious place has big secrets behind a little door. Coraline wishes for a better life. Her parents are caught up in their own business and leave her to make fun for herself. While Coraline explores the house she meets her boring neighbors and a bizarre boy who is the grandson of the owner of the complex. This boy is Wybie, he says his grandmother doesn’t usually rent to people with children. He tells her things that leads her to question her new home. She then unlocks the door to a perfect universe. She meets her other parents and Coraline has everything she has ever wanted. Her other mother just needs one thing in return, to sew buttons into her eyes. But what all does that involve, you say? Watch the movie to see for yourself!

One thing I noticed while watching the film was stop motion. Some might think stop motion isn’t very good, but in this movie it’s really effective with the plot. The details in this movie are excellent. All the characters including mice and stuffed animals had buttons for eyes. For Coraline, a child that wants the perfect life, this image sure is maintained, of course until all turns evil. I disliked the creepiness and scenes where you see the true side of the other mother.

This movie is rated PG. This movie can be frightening to little ones but it doesn’t contain any content to have it be PG 13. I would recommend not taking your little children of ages 8 and under to this mature animated movie. Your child would likely not understand the concept of this film and would have nightmares for the rest of their lives. Some scandalous scenes with grandmas are best not seen by youngsters. These parts are not inappropriate but not recommended for the button eyes of a child. I would suggest that parents should view this movie before taking their kid to view this. I would not refer to this as a scary/horror movie but it does in fact have a very eerie vibe to it.
ConnorT2021Feb 13, 2017
Everyone remembers as a kid wishing for a different life, or different parents. The movie “Coraline” is a very unique movie And you can tell that these producers put a lot of work into this movie. I thought that this was a movie that isEveryone remembers as a kid wishing for a different life, or different parents. The movie “Coraline” is a very unique movie And you can tell that these producers put a lot of work into this movie. I thought that this was a movie that is different from most other movies that I have seen. “Coraline” has a very eventful storyline, it gives off a sort of dark feeling and leaves you in suspense throughout the whole movie. Laika Entertainment also did a great job in casting as well.
“Coraline” is very creative and has some very precise details that I found interesting. For an example, the setting, Ashlynn, Oregon was settled around 150 years ago. Look out for a part in the movie where they mention that in the movie as well, you can tell that these people did some serious research. The movie starts off by Coraline (Dakota Fanning) moving to a new house called the Pink Palace Apartments and she is not exactly excited about leaving her friends behind. Coralline is quickly introduced to some of her next door neighbors. Wybie (Robert Bailey Jr.) , the next door neighbor, is a young boy who lives with his grandmother. Mr. Bobinsky (Ian McShane) , her other next door neighbor, is a retired acrobat that works with circus mice and helps her along the way. The ladies downstairs to her apartment also play a big role in the story. Coraline’s parents ( John Hodgman and Teri Hatcher) work all day for a flower catalogue and they never spend time with their daughter. All Coraline wants is to have a loving family and some nice friends to play with. Coraline soon realizes throughout this movie that there is no perfect family.
This movie has its pros and cons. One thing I disliked about “Coraline” is that I wouldn’t say it is appropriate for little kids. There are a few scenes that would most absolutely be scary for them, such as a few jump scares. Another thing I didn't like about this movie is that the storyline is very confusing and I definitely had to watch this more than once to actually understand what was even going on. One pro I had for this movie is that it had a good theme, which I won’t spoil for you. Another thing I enjoyed about this movie is that it left me at the edge of my seat. I had no idea what was going to happen next! I have one more thing that impressed me. The animation is just wonderful. I cannot believe how seamless it is. This certain type of animation is labor intensive and so hard to do, and this movie had great animation.
Even though this movie is rated PG, I would recommend this movie to kids over eight years old. Due to some very scary and inappropriate parts. If you are really wanting to have your child watch this, maybe you should watch it first just to be safe. Overall, I thought that this film was pretty decent, but I do believe that it could’ve been better.

Rating
3 out of 5 Stars
TwerkDouglasJul 1, 2018
Melhor filme do gênero, surpreendente cada cena uma surpresa diferente, chocante
SilentTacticianMar 25, 2018
One of those films that a lot of people seem to enjoy but I couldn't connect with. I thought the plot was predictable and the main character Coraline annoying. Although it was amazing to see all of the work that went into it. Overall I wasOne of those films that a lot of people seem to enjoy but I couldn't connect with. I thought the plot was predictable and the main character Coraline annoying. Although it was amazing to see all of the work that went into it. Overall I was bored and uninterested in what was happening with Coraline and her parents. the pacing was off and that this affected a lot of my viewing experience. Expand
MacsMusicDec 29, 2017
There is no other movie just like Coraline today, and probably never will be. It is one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen, and one of the only movies that made me lose sleep. In fact, I stayed up all night the day I watched it. I wasThere is no other movie just like Coraline today, and probably never will be. It is one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen, and one of the only movies that made me lose sleep. In fact, I stayed up all night the day I watched it. I was afraid of the things that change at night, I was afraid of the door to another world... Years later, I re-watched Coraline, and it was still very unsettling, creepy, and original. The animation, story, and world are pretty much flawless, fascinating, and extremely creepy. The music is also really good and adds to the creepiness of the movie very well. All in all, a truly original, amazing stop-motion film. Expand
21siukosaarilJan 30, 2018
Coraline is a beautifully illustrated and the story is extremely creative. The plot is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Very creepy... but very fascinating! The illustration still doesCoraline is a beautifully illustrated and the story is extremely creative. The plot is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Very creepy... but very fascinating! The illustration still does have to be one of my favorite parts of the film, it is incredibly unique and very interesting to watch. Expand
SKSKAug 1, 2018
The movie animation is gorgeous and unique. The visuals are incredibly surreal. The storyline, for the major part of the movie, is great but, by the end, it starts to get rushed and a little bit senseless. Overall it's a great movie.
hornysoulSep 23, 2018
Um filme com um roteiro excelente e com uma animação estelar bem feita. Eu não vi o filme em 3D, mas não deixou de ser impressionante. "Coraline" possui uma animação imaginativa e bonita e, por outro lado, o suspense e o perigo. FiqueiUm filme com um roteiro excelente e com uma animação estelar bem feita. Eu não vi o filme em 3D, mas não deixou de ser impressionante. "Coraline" possui uma animação imaginativa e bonita e, por outro lado, o suspense e o perigo. Fiquei interessado e atento até ao final. Expand
Tiffany797Jan 23, 2019
"Coraline" is an "Alice in Wonderland" story done "Corpse Bride" and "Nightmare before Christmas" style, about a particularly rude girl who goes on a psychedelic adventure which should result in her becoming a better person. Not sure if it"Coraline" is an "Alice in Wonderland" story done "Corpse Bride" and "Nightmare before Christmas" style, about a particularly rude girl who goes on a psychedelic adventure which should result in her becoming a better person. Not sure if it did that for Coraline. It is not very apparent if her morals have improved, but her redeeming qualities are her bravery and tenacity. What is unique about this film is that it is a cautionary tale about child predators - as that is what the villain is, who has already been feeding off the life-essence of three children prior to trapping Coraline and attempting to do the same to her. The villain, the "other mother", tries to win her affections and trust through the wonder of her world Coraline escapes into as Coraline was dissatisfied and bored with her current life. Coraline does eventually escape. If this message of caution were clearer it would have made for a more brilliant movie in my eyes. Certain points of concern: sexual content: during a stage play, there are scantily clad performers for a few solid minutes. Moral content: Coraline's parents are neglectful toward her while under stress and could have lost Coraline in that time while Coraline was being swayed by the villain. There is some resolution but not enough here in their attitudes. Coraline is particularly rude to friends who are fiercely loyal to her: her age-match neighbour Wybie, and the cat who acts as a guide. Needed more turnaround and resolution here on her attitude. The animation is high quality, and will be enjoyed especially if you like stop-motion. I don't recommend it's age 14+ as it does have things that are hard to swallow. And as I said, if its messages were clearer it would have been far more brilliant, and it would have easily attained its PG rating in my eyes. Expand
BrunoVn00Mar 17, 2020
Even if you don't like this movie, you have to admit that the stop motion animation is amazing. There are some genuinely breathtaking sequences and even if the story has flaws I still will give this movie tons of credit for the effort made inEven if you don't like this movie, you have to admit that the stop motion animation is amazing. There are some genuinely breathtaking sequences and even if the story has flaws I still will give this movie tons of credit for the effort made in the animation, cinematography, shot composition, etc.

Everything from the production design to the character design, to the overall mood and atmosphere is genuinely haunting and scary. It creates a tone and a truly creative world that I don't see too many kids movies do now. It doesn't have a shoehorned-in comic relief character, it doesn't have forced emotional moments, this movie doesn't give a sh*t to follow that "kids movie formula" and I really want more movies like this.

The story flows quickly and all thanks to the writing and character development (along with the editing, of course). We get to know a lot about Coraline in a matter of minutes. The pacing was perfect until the third act, which I felt like it dragged a lot. This movie feels like it ends two times and I thought that the script should've get another draft. I really love this movie, it's Laika's best movie until now.
LifickDec 12, 2019
Esse filme é uma obra de arte sem comparações eu acho que eles picharam na história Capricharam no fato de ser bom para adulto e criança
Kreview22Jun 13, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, so it was quite CREEPY when I watched it. I did not LIKE IT AT ALLLLLL! TO THIS DAY, IT FREAKS MEH OUT! Expand
GopaccoAug 26, 2020
(french below)
Very good children's movie, and can definitely be watched as an adult.

Très bon film pour enfant, et se laisse définitivement regardé en tant qu'adulte.