Summit Entertainment | Release Date: March 21, 2014
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 660 Ratings
Watch Now
EludiumQ36Aug 31, 2014
Long story short: too long, un-charismatic femme lead, and tired premise (you've seen it before). Limited demographic of interest: pre/early-teens, adults will yawn - repeatedly.
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
Divergent arrives with a whimper in the crowded post - Harry Potter young adult franchises largely due to it's failure in generating thrills for most of the movie and it's overly derivative plot.
dogboySep 2, 2014
This movie is complete drivel. It is made for people who thought Twilight was a great movie and the Hunger Games a masterpiece. If this is you, you may like this movie. For everyone else it just plain sucks.
eagleeyevikingJul 29, 2014
FazhaMar 22, 2014
Full disclosure: I haven't read the books, but as someone who has read all of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, I can say that this movie suffers from all of the pitfalls of every young adult novel series that followed either of them, thatFull disclosure: I haven't read the books, but as someone who has read all of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, I can say that this movie suffers from all of the pitfalls of every young adult novel series that followed either of them, that it shamelessly copies the story beats and themes from those greater ones that came before. Divergent offers zero in the way of new or compelling ideas. The premise, that everyone in the future fits into one of exactly 5 psychological types (termed Factions by the film and book) is flimsy at best. The worst offenders are the 'Dauntless', the enforcers/protectors of all of Chicago. You might as well call that faction 'The Idiots' as all they seem to want to do is run around everywhere in dark clothing, climb everything in sight, and jump off of/onto moving trains (although perhaps in the future all trains don't have brakes in which case mea culpa). Why the heroine wants to be a part of that group is as big a mystery as why the Erudite faction (the scientist faction) wants to wipe out the Abegnation (the Amish, er, bureaucrat) faction.
Apart from the story, the actors chosen for the roles all looked like they were taken from The CW, and the art direction and set design looked decidedly 'B' movie, with not great special effects and set design that looks like it was ripped from a Canadian sci fi TV production house.
After seeing this I have no interest in reading the book and hope that the studio doesn't waste it's time and resources with a sequel vs working on something worthwhile.
francisrgoMar 24, 2014
"Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth's young adult series of the same name. The story she has created is very complex and makes readers think about their own "self" and others. Each character in the book are given their own spotlight and"Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth's young adult series of the same name. The story she has created is very complex and makes readers think about their own "self" and others. Each character in the book are given their own spotlight and reader's get to learn more about their traits. My biggest issue of the movie is how they rushed the character development. Even though the movie is already running at 143mins, they could have at least done a more cohesive introduction. You really don't get to know the rest of the characters except for the main protagonist, Tris. What is worst about the movie is that the order of occurrences from the book to the movie are jumbled. It is completely out of order and some scenes they just added. The script could have been so much better and the book has so much potential to be made into a movie. Expand
DearDearMar 25, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divergent was the first time I've walked out of a movie in nearly three decades of going to the cinema. The Hunger Games films, while far-fetched and cliched at times, have worked so far because they have featured strong scripts, great pacing, genuine dramatic tension, interesting characters, and good acting. The dystopian society presented in Divergent, with its personality-based caste system, is intriguing. Unfortunately, it is populated by one-dimensional characters who spout shallow, vapid dialogue and act in incomprehensibly stupid ways. Tris Pryor, the heroine, joins Gryff... er, sorry, Dauntless, the Faction we're told act as the police, protecting the citizens of post-apocalyptic Chicago. But instead the brave folk of Dauntless seem to be a pack of moronic adrenaline junkies who run around everywhere and climb everything in sight for no discernible reason. New recruits to Dauntless, straight out of the Faction-choosing ceremony, are expected to jump onto a moving train and then jump off of it onto a roof with no warning or training. Exactly what purpose does setting new recruits up for nasty injuries on their very first day serve? Then they're made to beat each other up Fight Club-style. They're warned that if they don't perform well, they'll be cast out to fend for themselves as Factionless on the cruel streets, but they don't seem to be given any form of structured combat training to help them become better fighters. Oh, and they all get tattoos at one point, because apparently having a tattoo means you're a BAMF and no one will mess with you. It's like something a twelve-year-old more concerned with coolness than any sort of internal logic dreamed up. So what if there's no reason for the police to engage in random acts of parkour like a bunch of Spider-man wannabes? It's cool! Did I also mention that the cardboard standees on display in the lobby of the theatre had more dimension than the actual characters in the film? Tris is a perfect Mary Sue and everyone else is a one-note stereotype. Christina, who was born into Huffle...er, Candor, the honest Faction, but chose Dauntless, always says whatever is on her mind. The boy who was born into Raven...er, Erudite, the scientific Faction, is a Spockian sort who randomly cites statistics during target practice. It's obvious from the first twenty minutes that Erudite are going to turn out to be the villains, and, frankly, I find the portrayal of scientists and intellectuals as cold, shrewd, and evil to be deeply offensive. Expand
MovieFan123Mar 29, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divergent a movie I thought was actually gonna be pretty good was just horrible. Okay first they spent more money on the sound track than actual character development. You don't even learn any of the characters names until the movie is almost over. Also there are many parts in the book that aren't in the movie. It made the book very good and gave more explanation. Also the whole feels like its on fast forward because 3 minutes into the movie your already at the test and then 20 minutes into the movie the characters are in initiation. In the book it took way more time and explained everything. Also Peter wasn't as sinister and evil and we didn't no his name until the end of the movie. Also they give no motive for Al's suicide and his character isn't talked about for the rest of the movie. We really didn't even know his name. The only good thing about this movie is the soundtrack which helps the movie's pacing. In conclusion this is one of the worst movies I've seen in a while and I would be surprised if it doesn't take home at least one Razzie Award. Expand
MrRandomGuyApr 2, 2014
The movie suffered from obvious plot holes and there were things that just didn't make sense. There are 5 factions living in what appears to be post apocalyptic Chicago. The main character's faction is the one that runs the government. Yet weThe movie suffered from obvious plot holes and there were things that just didn't make sense. There are 5 factions living in what appears to be post apocalyptic Chicago. The main character's faction is the one that runs the government. Yet we have a random woman who doesn't fit in any faction (or at least they don't tell us what faction she's in) that plots and conspires to kill everyone in the ruling faction. What doesn't make sense about that is the woman appears to be the leader of everyone. If she's the leader wouldn't she be part of the faction she's trying to destroy?

That's just one out of many things that didn't make sense. Don't see this movie. You will be horribly disappointed.
diogomendesJul 24, 2014
"Divergent" has an outstanding cast but the director wastes them in a script that borrows heavily from Harry Potter, Twilight series and Hunger Games.
evearcherMay 3, 2014
Wow this movie was as boring as predicted, the acting is not that bad....but not very interesting. It looks like a cheap cash grab "hunger games" wanna be movie. Stay away until it comes out on DVD for a buck.
daijahmetcalfSep 12, 2014
“Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed“Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed to combine gripping action and tender romance. These two factors were supposed to generate “…the next big thing (The Wire)”. But this film did not do enough to blow me off my seat. Shailene Woodley, the protagonist of this movie, plays Beatrice Prior. Her character is an awkward, daring, and combatant sixteen- year old who was born in a selfless faction called Abnegation. Despite her origins she chooses to live in Dauntless, a faction that does not know fear. There she consistently encounters and soon develops a relationship with Dauntless trainer Four, played by Theo James. However, despite the “unexpected” fight scenes and the “star crossed” co-stars, this film was repetitive, dull, and deficient to say the least.
The first element of this movie that already disappointed me was the setting. As shown in the commercials, this movie takes place in a futuristic dystopian society. I am not sure if anyone else remembers, but there has been a recent movie with a similar atmosphere. If you cannot remember, I will be happy to let you know that it was the “Hunger Games”. I do not think Neil Burger or Veronica Roth would want to hear this, but this movie is like the demoted version of the “Hunger Games”. Manohla Dargis points out that the movie does offer the standard aspects for a teen flick, “…but the similarities
between these young adult juggernauts are conspicuous in the extreme (The New York Times)”. In previews, the leaders of this society are attempting to place people in factions according to their identity. So it is already evident that there has to be some kind of distortion to break this cycle. This is where Shailene Woodley comes to the rescue. Since it is not a secret that she is Divergent, it is automatically clear that she is going to be the rebel of this film. This makes it even easier to realize where the movie is going. And the next place it shall go would also cause me more dissatisfaction.
Once Beatrice “unexpectedly” arrives in the dauntless faction, she meets the withheld and painfully attractive transfer trainer Four. As the movie goes on, they magically realize that they are meant for each other. Now I love romance as much as the next person, but I think it is safe to say that the young audience needs a break from it. Just like ice cream, too much of it can make one sick. If you look back in all the recent teen love films, I think a lot of people would agree that the whole “Romeo and Juliet” trend needs to have a break for just a while. Los Angeles Film Critic, Kenneth Turan, supports this topic when he states that the movie “…really drags out the romantic uncertainty element… (LA Times)”. But besides the cliché adoration, there is one more thing that really displeased me.
So far we have had numerous novel-based movies. And to name a few off the back we have had The Fault in Our Stars, Catching Fire, Hunger Games, The Host, and The Twilight Saga. Now that we have an addition of Divergent, I am beginning to question the passion behind these directors. When I see a consecutive line-up of novel-based films, I also see a lack of creativity. And the main thing that adds fuel to the fire is how agonizingly accurate this movie was to novel. If a director decides to make a movie that is based on a novel, they should go beyond the audiences’ expectations. This should really apply to adolescent films, which mostly consists of excitement and thrills. A movie should be so spectacular that a couple of glitches should not matter. Chicago Tribune Film Critic, Michael Phillips felt the same way when he said, “The movie version of ‘Divergent’ is no divergent. It goes along to get along. It’s tame, formulaic, and strictly by the book in every sense (Chicago Tribune)”. And I do not want to declare any director lazy if he or she creates a film from a work. But if you do go for it, go above and beyond the text. Because that will give some people the impression that you’re lethargic in originality.
Surprisingly enough, there is one positive thing that I could take away from this movie. This is the second movie that has portrayed young women as being independent, strong, and superior. This exposure is diluting the “damsel in distress” trend that is often seen on television and in movies. And a lot of girls need to be reminded that they could also do a lot in society. Not going against an entire totalitarian system, per say, but in other things like in their community or in their careers. I am also aware there is suppose to be a second movie next year. I just hope that the director will be more daring the next time around. . Because their boldness might just be what the Divergent movies need to really become “…the next big thing (The Wire)”.
ThatBrayKidMar 21, 2014
As a book reader, I have never been so disappointed in a book-to-movie conversion. Not only did they leave extremely important details out, but many important events occur out of order. Motivations for certain characters aren't evenAs a book reader, I have never been so disappointed in a book-to-movie conversion. Not only did they leave extremely important details out, but many important events occur out of order. Motivations for certain characters aren't even explained; even extremely important plot devices are not included. Many of these changes serve no purpose and hinder the emotional impact certain characters' decisions would otherwise have on the viewer. Book readers will generally be confused with the changes, and by the time the credits roll, most will be asking, "Why?" Expand
Pacific_InfernoMar 22, 2014
I wish I could write this independently of the novel, but I can't. There are omissions and edits all over the place, which can be forgivable if there aren't major plot points or essential to character development, but this film fails toI wish I could write this independently of the novel, but I can't. There are omissions and edits all over the place, which can be forgivable if there aren't major plot points or essential to character development, but this film fails to deliver any reason to attach to any character or the world around it.

If you're thinking about seeing this movie, just buy the book; you can probably get through it in the same 2.5 hours you'd waste at this uninspired film bastardization.
bmaster4616Apr 5, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *WARNING SPOILERS*
Holy cluster **** Let me first start by saying that this movie was one of the worse movie ever. The writers obviously didn't even pretend to make it realistic in anyway. The makers must just wanted to make money out of this and had no interest in making it a quality movie. This cliched , idiotic premise, and cheesy filled movie just kept crumbling down as the movie dragged along. The whole premise of creating five factions to promote peace is probably thee or the second dumbest idea I've ever heard. Creating fractions automatically creates tension. This is not even the tip of the iceberg.

We get to the test to decide what fraction you should be in (rip off of Harry potter by the way). The person is told its a test and given a drug that enhances your dream world. Giving you a test to choice what to do. Any capable mental person would obviously know its not a dream. Maybe the drug gives the dreamer a huge sense of fear...can we explain this please.

The word Divergent is for someone who has no fear, which in fact is totally unrealistic. This allows a different prospective ideas and ideals that span across each fraction. The thing that makes no sense is the fact that they allows people to jump to a different fraction. Isn't that almost like being divergent. Tell me I'm wrong please.

The protectors was this rag tag group of people who jump out of trains while moving, that jump into them while moving, and do all this crazy stuff. The brilliant creators has this smart idea to put this out of control bunch of people in charge of the safety and security of the "colony".

Talking about the fractions. Abnegations hold office and are the leaders of the society. The problem I have here is the fact that they really don't do much. It seems like they're not really in charge at all. The movie doesn't even explain anything about the process of making law. Do the abnegations make law, give it to Candors, and then the leaders signs it or something? Also the leaders live in one of the **** places in the whole society.

Now lets jump back on track.
The Ceremony:
You have these young kids cut themselves (which could cause infection and what knows what) to decide what fraction to go into. What reason exactly? To make it look cool or something? Can anyone example the significance of it? It doesn't explain that at all. Why could you just thrown the **** or anything else?

Now we get to the middle of the movie where it wasn't that bad. It started off shaky but turned to be a pretty good movie. It was at about a 3.5/5 at one point until of course it started to fall apart at a colossal rate.

The movie does a great job showing this society that's eaten itself apart and it's moments away from falling apart. We see get this test to determine if you have what it takes to be in the fraction. I understand that most actors don't know how to fight and I get that. Though you would think that they would bring in trainers that can actually teach someone how to fight. Woodley looked like a ****ing idiot out there. She was punching like she was Parkinson's disease. It was as if she was trying to have a **** fight with a labradoodle. It was quite embarrassing. Then you have this weird hand position of the hands that would never ****ing work. Now I'm not an expert in fighting (though I do do karate). That hand position will not protect **** and will actually cause your hand to come back and pop you in the face. Okay yes the position of a person doesn't determine how bad a movie is. Stick with me.

So then we go through test after test of getting to know someone. The tests were pretty awesome and seemed to be a highlight. Though you have Woodley; who basically fails at every test, all of a sudden gets this holly light in her. she didn't receive any major help. Tris moves up the ranks and makes the cut.
Yeepy!
You don't really see any of the outcasts though. They are just thrown out without an acknowledgement. Whatever at this point.

One side note:
The movie was extremely sappy, but i should have know that coming in.

The Ending:

Then the ending starts to roll around and all hell of idiocy happens. We first learn about this "army" that four shows us. You know kids out there and few people of an apocalyptic outcome. When you see an army that's being made up and constructed; will you please tell someone besides your girlfriend. You would think that if there's a rumor of an overthrow; that some one would get a hold of it. They would then get this information and do something about it. You would also think that Abnegation would confront the issue. They're the leaders of the control for god's sake.

Four then comes to the conclusion that they are building an army on the sole mariet of Erudite bringing in supplies in to Dauntlet's place. Maybe the leaders would have killed him for bringing up questions. I would tell you to go to other fractions. Another problem could have occurred.
What if they stopped him?
A. but then how did Tris get out so easily.

Maybe they wouldn't have listened to him?

I'm pretty sure when they hear this "rumor" of an overthrow; they would have listened. The fraction to go to would have been Abnegation. That's the exact fraction trying to get wiped out. Also why in god's name would the Dauntless be on the side of the erudite in the first place. What do they get out of this? Would they become military "slaves" of the erudites? Why get rid of a peaceful people like the abnegation? They seem to be hated throughout the movie with no explanation.

So now the army that's created by this serum that makes their own people turn into "zombie". These zombies kill and don't ask questions. The premise is the fact that Divergents don't get affected by it. Why? No explanation is need I guess.

Let's get the fan fact of why the movie was one of the worse movies I've seen. The decisions of the characters was like a five year old was making them. These decisions were dosed in cliches and lit with some bad acting.

Let me combine both of them in my next paragraph. I'll just start off this section by examining the ending other. I'll be here all day if it was the whole movie. The audiences watch as the two main characters pretend to be zombies while Daughtless takes over the homes in Abnegation.

First, they watch one of the people shot as they walk by them. You're a zombie! Please act like it. They then run in Triss's house while screaming their heads off for her parents. There are people outside killing other people. They can hear you and obviously you're not a zombie if you're screaming your head off.

Later they get stoppped by the head guys of Daughtless. They have their cliched laugh of the warrior in Four looking like an mindless idiot. They then all of a sudden notice that he's Divergent. The cliched "everyone has a gun and everyone is pointing at someone" occurs. Stalemate right? Well it didn't have to be if the dumb **** would have just shot both of them in the head from point blank range. They get caught and another cliche appears. "The main character gets away. The friend or family member gets caught". A cliche comes yet again. The "hero is saved from some random person out of nowhere".

Tris goes with her mom into the city to find the group. We get to a part where they are confronted and they kill the evil people. Cool. They come to the end of the alleyway, where the mom stops her and said "cover me". From what! The end of the alleyway was nothing but grass and open space.

Cliche alert again: "no I got this, cover me" type **** comes from Triss. What the F? Why the hell do you need to be covered? A truck then comes around the corner and people start shooting. So did they hear that? If yes then why didn't you just ****ing wait in the alley and let the car go by? I don't get that concept at all. Let's just run into the middle of the field by yourself, so your mom has to save your ass and get killed (cliche by the way). The mom dies and she finds the group. They then go stop the slaughter before it kills all of Abnegation. Tris finds guns on the people that she shot. Apparently "nobody investigates shots getting fired". There was a lot of compotion around the village. I do get that. Though the only gun battle was between those two. I'm also wondering "what the hell happened to the people that were shooting at them from the truck". Did they just not want to pursue the attackers or something? I'm just confused how she was able to get weapons from the people she just attacked? Whatever, lets move on. So the group gets to the place where this program for the zombies are taking place. Which seems to be randomly in dauntless's place and not Erudite's. Why, I don't know? Cliche alert. The dad is responsible this time. "I will distract then and kill them because were running out of time". He runs out and kills the guards by himself. What the flying **** You have three people with guns and there are only four guards. Just have one person shoot two of those ****ers. Lets run out and get killed while only killing two of them. It was like something from a parody. Tris looks towards the dad and said "what are you doing dad?" or "Are you okay dad?". I don't remember. It was one of the two Well the camera pans back to the dad with like seven bullet holes and blood flowing from his mouth. You know he was probably just resting from the hard day. *sigh*. Tris tells everyone to stay there to protect his brother for some reason and goes on alone (cliched). Why? I don't know? She finds four who's staring in one direction like a zombie. She ask "are you okay?". Well he has a mindless stare and has ivies attached to him. He must be fine. Cliche alert "The person can snap out of anything for love type **** occurs and the both of them stop the killing of Abnegation. Okay, so now you have the leader of the bad guys in your hands...who did all this crazy **** and you don't off the **** Fine, morals. Ending her life could have solved everything. Let's say you didn't kill her. The threat is over. You can just kidnap her and give her up to the other fractions. Put her up for trial or something. Even if one of the fractions is still on her side. There's three against one. Kill off the two other fractions and you'll be fine. You don't need to leave for no good reason. Lets say that Dauntless has all the weapons. Well that was an idiotic premise in the first place.This stupid premise goes back to the idiotic premise of having five fractions. Just whatever on the whole premise right now. This movie was just a cluster **** of utter proportions. Again this is a good portion of the cluster ****ness. I would be here all day trying to go through all of it. P.S. This is a rip off of Harry Potter and Hunger Games. Ask me if you want to know why. A solid 1/10. My lowest rating of a blockbuster movie ever. Forgot a couple of things. If you're going to build a wall from an enemy. Please build it around your crops so people won't steal **** or burn them down. Also when those "zombies" became good again. You can use those people to fight off the rest. There's no point of leaving. Also to those who liked it. Pay attention more.
rachiebabieMar 25, 2014
This is a rental folks! The editing of this movie will put you right to sleep! It's just not compelling or emotional, and it is WAY TOO LONG. I found myself looking at my watch many, many times. Now if you're younger than 17, this might justThis is a rental folks! The editing of this movie will put you right to sleep! It's just not compelling or emotional, and it is WAY TOO LONG. I found myself looking at my watch many, many times. Now if you're younger than 17, this might just be your anthem as it's all angsty and full of rebellion. The concept is too simple to be complex. We get it, you're "Different" and "different" is BAD. The world is reminiscent of an amish utopian set in the future, but it looks like it takes place in past....I've seen this world before, it's called The Hunger Games, but at least in the hunger games, their amish lifestyle is juxtaposed by the futuristic lifestyle of the rich. Anywho, if I had to give this movie a grade it would be a solid "ZZZZZZZ" for SNORES because that's the only feeling this movie elicited. Expand
judyburnsideMar 21, 2014
DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. If you have read the book you will be severely disappointed at the lack of crucial characters and events, the terrible casting, and the bland acting. Based on the lack of characters in the first movie, it is impossibleDO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. If you have read the book you will be severely disappointed at the lack of crucial characters and events, the terrible casting, and the bland acting. Based on the lack of characters in the first movie, it is impossible for them to make a second. There are revolutionary characters that they left out! If you have not read the book, you will find yourself confused and unsatisfied at the poor character development choppy and hard to follow. I can only pray that John Green will not let producers butcher his novel The Fault in Our Stars as much as they did this one. Expand
movies87Mar 22, 2014
First things first, this movie is ridiculously long. 2 1/2 hours movie that goes nowhere for the first 2 hours is quite the JOB for a moviegoer. Could have easily been a 1 1/2 hour movie. Movie drags on with little to no plot. VeryFirst things first, this movie is ridiculously long. 2 1/2 hours movie that goes nowhere for the first 2 hours is quite the JOB for a moviegoer. Could have easily been a 1 1/2 hour movie. Movie drags on with little to no plot. Very predictable. Save your money and just watch the trailer. Plenty of other movies to watch. Expand
ThatsameguyApr 26, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best movie ever, I loved it sooooooooooooooooo much, the book is **** but the movie is amazing, you must watch it in the movie theater. The protagonist is so beautiful, inteligent and smart, I LOVE HER Expand
mrmonsterAug 10, 2014
This movie was a complete waste of time. It was nothing more than a knockoff of The Hunger Games, only it didn't have the suspense, the action, the plot, or the Jennifer Lawrence of the Hunger Games. Overall, this movie is just a pointlessThis movie was a complete waste of time. It was nothing more than a knockoff of The Hunger Games, only it didn't have the suspense, the action, the plot, or the Jennifer Lawrence of the Hunger Games. Overall, this movie is just a pointless movie mean to cash in on a book for teenage girls. Expand
EraldSep 4, 2014
It's simple: if you want to see a good movie, go somewhere else. This is a terrible product, made to please those teenagers full of hormones and very little time to see or read something good.
That girl "Woodley" reminds me of a fat uncle I
That girl "Woodley" reminds me of a fat uncle I had and the love story... soooooo bland.
NFWJun 25, 2015
DIVERGENT is an annoying, shameful, and utterly vile excuse for science fiction that has also managed to produce one of the worst romances in recent memory. I honestly can't see this appealing to a anyone other than High School girls.
talisencrwSep 24, 2014
Decent, but nothing more. Its buildup was fine but it then descended into a shoot-em-up, which must have made Republicans and the NRA happy. It's a half hour too long, given epic treatment when it deserves far less, and the dialogue'sDecent, but nothing more. Its buildup was fine but it then descended into a shoot-em-up, which must have made Republicans and the NRA happy. It's a half hour too long, given epic treatment when it deserves far less, and the dialogue's terrible, as if a high school student had written it. I'll pass on any sequels. And the poster's hilarious--Four transcends his fear of heights, just to get Tris' butt in his face. I hope for his sake she didn't have tacos for lunch. Expand
BrontebooApr 18, 2014
I read the book before going to see this film and really enjoyed it. Despite the generic, futuristic teen plot it was still a good read. However as someone who read the book I found the film to be a disappointment. Much of the plot had beenI read the book before going to see this film and really enjoyed it. Despite the generic, futuristic teen plot it was still a good read. However as someone who read the book I found the film to be a disappointment. Much of the plot had been removed or changed and I understand poetic license but some of it was just unnecessary. It missed out some huge plot points that made it difficult to connect with any of the characters on screen. However I do think the addition scenes with Kate Winslet were helpful to the plot and most of the casting was spot on. Expand
NdaulatanaMay 10, 2014
I honestly did not like it. They did not show the important part and not even mention important characters. Dont watch it dont spend your money. When i saw it it ruined my day.
Michael_FormanMay 31, 2014
A simplistic revolution plot stretched out to a painful 2.5 hours with no gratifying resolution. The hour spent watching the protagonist train was filler that never connected with the plot It felt less like a movie and more like a TNT miniseries.
movieclassJul 25, 2014
I prefer to and usually suspend story flaws when watching Sci-Fi or action movies BUT ... in this movie when Four and Be-a-Triss are caught by the enemy and they are NOT killed on-the-spot like all of the other Divergents .... I lost allI prefer to and usually suspend story flaws when watching Sci-Fi or action movies BUT ... in this movie when Four and Be-a-Triss are caught by the enemy and they are NOT killed on-the-spot like all of the other Divergents .... I lost all interest in the too long plot and too many weak characters. As in ... the movie characters. The acting is very strong but this all gets kinda lost in the weak story. I really found myself not caring about how the movie was going to end. I just wanted it to end like .... much sooner ! Expand
LazerfistOct 2, 2014
Terrible...just...awful. Do not spend money on this movie, and make sure that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO for 2.5 hours. Horrible acting. The lead has resting **** face the whole time, and she is just entirely awkward. The restTerrible...just...awful. Do not spend money on this movie, and make sure that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO for 2.5 hours. Horrible acting. The lead has resting **** face the whole time, and she is just entirely awkward. The rest of the cast is still pretty bad, but not as bad as her. Avoid eating anything while she is doing her sob scene; something happened to her face that just aint right. Ashley Judd, Kate Winslet...I expect more from you; why are you associating yourself with this crap. Expand
DokaluJan 15, 2015
This movie is boring, stupid, just for teenagers, has stereotype protagonists and the whole thing is just horrible. I really hope the book is much better than this extremely long cliched sh*t. The worst part is that now that I saw thisThis movie is boring, stupid, just for teenagers, has stereotype protagonists and the whole thing is just horrible. I really hope the book is much better than this extremely long cliched sh*t. The worst part is that now that I saw this stupidity, I have the moral obligation to watch the sequel... Expand
zuratusJul 19, 2015
This movie is a complete waste of time, money and resources. I'm totally disappointed, the actors were good, but the director didn't know how to use their talent.
mek12Apr 10, 2016
I do not believe that any of the movies did the books the justice it deserved as well as the not being well cast for all of the main characters. I do not have much to say the movies are not worth watching if you truly read the books.
reviewfrom19842Dec 29, 2016
Divergent is a rip-off of both The Hunger Games and Harry Potter. Horribly written, and a bad story makes Divergent forgivable and boring. The acting is decent and it has it's moments but Divergent is still a sh*t movie.
NerdConsultantMar 20, 2016
divergent really isn't much of anything it just feels like a bunch of sequences tied together with not much actually happening. it's almost like the film is a 2 hour prologue for the rest of the series which in itself wouldn't be too bad ifdivergent really isn't much of anything it just feels like a bunch of sequences tied together with not much actually happening. it's almost like the film is a 2 hour prologue for the rest of the series which in itself wouldn't be too bad if it was a least good set up, but man is this film boring. the characters fell stock and the plot feels too predictable at times and non sensible at others. also the cinematography and the design of the world feels like they are trying way too hard to be The Hunger Games. Expand
royphishoohApr 28, 2015
Extremely derivative movie with poor acting and dull story lines. As Dogboy observes this is definitely one for the Twilight fans. Why didn't they build a metro station next to the Jock faction's headquarters? All that macho train-leaping wasExtremely derivative movie with poor acting and dull story lines. As Dogboy observes this is definitely one for the Twilight fans. Why didn't they build a metro station next to the Jock faction's headquarters? All that macho train-leaping was extremely silly. Expand
mppSep 22, 2018
While staying with friends I stumbled into the family room where this was on the screen. I honestly thought I was watching some low-budget Sci-Fi channel or WB TV series--low quality production, cheesy, formulaic, predictable, etc etc. ButWhile staying with friends I stumbled into the family room where this was on the screen. I honestly thought I was watching some low-budget Sci-Fi channel or WB TV series--low quality production, cheesy, formulaic, predictable, etc etc. But it kept going on and on and on, until I finally asked when this "show" ended. I do have to give one star to Shailene Woodley, who is a top-rate, though much underrated, actress, evidenced by her solid performance in "Divergent" despite awful writing and an even worse concept. Expand
Naruto78909Apr 22, 2018
Divergent is what lionsgate made and like 90% of there movies its awful bad characters boring effects and just terrible acting divergent fits the lionsgate trash they are always making
zNeverSleepingOct 17, 2020
Sorry, it wont work.

Sorry, it wont work.

Por mais que a premissa não fosse má, a condução do filme para com a mesma é muito mal feita. Primeiro: onde está o desenvolvimento de personagem? Segundo: Devo desligar completamente meu cérebro para me divertir aqui quando qualquer lógica não existe? Terceiro: pra que 5 facções se 3 são figurantes? Quarto: É claro que haveria um romance forçado, senão não seria para o publico pré-adolescente.

A principio, me perguntei: Porque essa personagem é tão vazia? Logo me deparei com mais um clichê, bem parecido com crepúsculo. Vamos pegar uma garota que não tem nada de especial, mas algo acontece que reviravolta a vida da mesma. Isso n'ao lembra alguma coisa? É como se eles quisessem porque quisessem identificar essa personagem com o publico alvo. Ela é uma divergente, mas tá. Porque? É como se o roteiro tivesse preguiça de desenvolvê-la além disso. No final ficamos nos perguntando porque ela é quem é, já que nada mais faz sentido. Ela não é carismática, não é inteligente - até que o roteiro precise disso; não é bonita, carece de habilidades - ela vira a "filha do john wick", mas só quando o roteiro exige que ela seja, pra não focar pra traz. Fora todas as conveniências. Alguém me diz qual é dessa de "regras novas". Serio, assim do nada? Se não desligarmos o cérebro aqui, fica difícil se entreter.

Os personagens são o cumulo da fraquice. Miles Teller mais uma vez é posto no papel do antipático, e aqui forçam tanto o ódio pelos telespectadores que acaba sendo totalmente anti-climático e ineficiente. A protagonista não tem nada de especial, e aquelas frases de efeito são uma vergonha alheia que eu nunca mais vou esquecer na minha vida. E o seu parceiro até tenta, mas não vai muito diferente da mesma.

O desenvolvimento do mundo é nulo, como se tudo girasse em torno da protagonista. O uso de clichês e conveniências vai além do normal, quebrando qualquer senso de perigo e suspense. A morte dos pais, por exemplo, soou extremamente desnatural, só pra se livrar mesmo.

Enfim, eu poderia ficar falando mal desse filme por muito mais tempo, mas vou fazer algo que preste da minha vida.

Audio: English, with portuguese subtitles. Q60T 50' TV Speakers
Quality: 1080p SDR [PrimeVideo]
ViewJarDec 19, 2019
Round about four years after I had read the book and almost forgot everything about it I saw the movie. Since a lot of time has passed, I won't judge how near the movie is to the book.
The music in this movie most time seems very imposed and
The music in this movie most time seems very imposed and I also don't quite like the idea with the different fractions. The main character is pretty okay, also if there would have been better cast options, but that is the case for all characters, because none of them is played well. The world and the costumes look pretty cool, although they are a little bit over the line sometimes. The biggest problem isn't, as i thought in the beginning, the action, which is bad, but the character development and the dialogues are even worse. Almost all characters are two-dimensional, exchangeable and not interesting at all. And the dialogues mostly seem pretty flat and unnatural.
If you are interested in the story, I would recommend to read the book, rather than watching this. Because everything I remember from the book is way better than the movie.
AWESOM-0Jun 12, 2020
The cast is good and the acting isn’t bad but since I haven’t read the novels I can only assume there was serious errors in the screenwriting/adaption. Or the novels were terrible. It’s completely predictable and the sci-fi aspect of it is soThe cast is good and the acting isn’t bad but since I haven’t read the novels I can only assume there was serious errors in the screenwriting/adaption. Or the novels were terrible. It’s completely predictable and the sci-fi aspect of it is so basic and not really thought through at all it’s just ends up being meh. It’s truly on the CW level of creative work and not the high end CW (not saying much). Expand
Toten79Jul 28, 2020
Sorry, can´t watch this Twilight emo, lfick-chicks anymore. I lasted about half an hour, when these "Dauntings" teens started to run and climb all over the city... I think only a 15 year old girl could watch this flicks until the end...