Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: November 4, 2016
Universal acclaim based on 1887 Ratings
1,623
Watch Now
spongeswiftApr 6, 2019
There are just those movies that are good, but you in particular cannot like, Doctor Strange is that movie for me. I am not a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch so my expectations weren't high but this still just wasn't a movie for me. I thought theThere are just those movies that are good, but you in particular cannot like, Doctor Strange is that movie for me. I am not a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch so my expectations weren't high but this still just wasn't a movie for me. I thought the first act was pretty good but it went downhill from there for me. This is easily my least favorite Marvel movie even if I would consider it better than most objectively. Expand
xplo99Nov 5, 2016
This movie is fun to watch but does git a bit boring due to its cliched story line and character, overuse of so-so CG special FX, and (suspension of belief breaking) nonsensical happenings. The main antagonist is boring at best and theThis movie is fun to watch but does git a bit boring due to its cliched story line and character, overuse of so-so CG special FX, and (suspension of belief breaking) nonsensical happenings. The main antagonist is boring at best and the protagonist is the Medical Doctor version of Tony Stark who uses magic instead of technology. I was hoping for something fresh and new but didn't get it.

All that said, the movie is somewhat entertaining if you have a few bucks to spare and some time to kill. You certainly wouldn't want to skip anything even semi-important to see this movie.
ReubenIsAGodNov 4, 2016
Man, going back and being critical is fun. Doctor Strange wasn't bad. I actually really enjoyed the ride, and am kinda super happy to have this character in the MCU. But like, HEY, its another Marvel affair. Its solidly entertaining, nice andMan, going back and being critical is fun. Doctor Strange wasn't bad. I actually really enjoyed the ride, and am kinda super happy to have this character in the MCU. But like, HEY, its another Marvel affair. Its solidly entertaining, nice and kinda lighthearted action fare fun. Its not bad, at all really, its just kinda plain and kinda lifeless, it really lacks personality. THIS is my biggest issue with a lot of these MARVEL Films, they lack personality and voice. They just seem like these big corporate flicks, that not necessarily terrible, lack a certain amount of opinion and voice to them. Expand
PeterAlexanderDec 11, 2016
This movie is undoubtedly strange, but entertaining in its pure absurdity. The film has issues developing characters, particularly the villains, but Benedict Cumberbatch plays Doctor Strange expertly. The film strives on its mystery, thusThis movie is undoubtedly strange, but entertaining in its pure absurdity. The film has issues developing characters, particularly the villains, but Benedict Cumberbatch plays Doctor Strange expertly. The film strives on its mystery, thus rendering the final act somewhat disengaging in comparison to what it could have been. Expand
FolderMathJun 25, 2017
This movie felt a little strange. The CGI and picture were extremely beautiful, and the landscape bending bent my mind as well. I liked the Ancient One, and I thought her final speech to Strange was brilliant. I didn't like Ejiofor'sThis movie felt a little strange. The CGI and picture were extremely beautiful, and the landscape bending bent my mind as well. I liked the Ancient One, and I thought her final speech to Strange was brilliant. I didn't like Ejiofor's character and Doctor Strange himself. They weren't as fleshed out as they could have been. Doctor Strange's training felt rushed (like he got too good too soon). The romance is minimal, and not well done at all. Maybe I would have liked the movie more if I had read the comic beforehand. Expand
JcondicNov 27, 2016
As a Marvel movie it doesn’t stray far from their typical formula. Humour, drama and action all mixed in safely. As usually the villain feels under developed with the exception of Loki and Bucky in previous marvel films. The Sequel shouldAs a Marvel movie it doesn’t stray far from their typical formula. Humour, drama and action all mixed in safely. As usually the villain feels under developed with the exception of Loki and Bucky in previous marvel films. The Sequel should have a better villain with Mordo. The film is entertaining and the visuals are fantastic but everything is safe and you always know it will turn out okay. The fact that Strange can turn back time and reset worries me for future marvel films where if they decided to kill a character, strange will reverse with marvel having a big “Gotcha” moment. In the end Strange is on the upper end of Marvel films with Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. But if the marvel films don’t start evolving and taking risks it’ll be safe to say they will become more and more forgettable. Expand
MicrOxydeNov 4, 2016
Doctor Strange allows the mind of the spectator to wonder but the movie itself lacks real characters (like almost all MCU characters). Kaecilius, the vilain, portrayed by Mads Mikelsen, is just plain ridiculous. He's one of the less developedDoctor Strange allows the mind of the spectator to wonder but the movie itself lacks real characters (like almost all MCU characters). Kaecilius, the vilain, portrayed by Mads Mikelsen, is just plain ridiculous. He's one of the less developed characters, not only in this movie, but in all the MCU.
Another problem with the movie in the plot. As a whole, it's very, very basic. Dialogue scenes followed by a combat followed by another dialogue scene and so on. It's the basic formula of all late MCU movies but this time it's too much.
The movie does have it's moment. The beginning is very captivating, and Doctor Strange is a good character.
In the end, the movie shows all the problems that the MCU suffers : boring characters and a very basic plot, but the visuals and the beginning of the movie saves it all.
I believe that Marvel should really change their formula by giving their chance to unorthodox directors so that we get more polished movies.
TrevorsViewDec 9, 2016
Meet neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange. He is as egocentric as any politician, yet as clever at his job as any detective. The well-acclaimed British actor Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game, Sherlock) takes the stage in the MarvelMeet neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange. He is as egocentric as any politician, yet as clever at his job as any detective. The well-acclaimed British actor Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game, Sherlock) takes the stage in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to depict one of the cleverest caped crusaders within the franchise. He is certainly a delight as always, but it’s the unusual approach to Doctor Strange that may either paralyze you with amazement or scare you away.

His life at this point is pretty normal: go to work, save a life, have a fight with his nagging coworker/girlfriend played by Academy Award nominee Rachel McAdams (Midnight in Paris, Spotlight), cherry pick the patients he wishes to save, and gloat about the spectacular perfection that is his life. That is, until an uncalled for car crash leaves his hands paralyzed with severe nerve damage.

…Which leads him to Nepal, where an Ancient One is said to be there with knowledge of spiritual healing. It’s not in his comfort zone but hey? What has he got to lose?

So he goes under spiritual training by a cult, receiving far more than he bargained for. Next thing he knows, he is dawned with the abilities to remove his spirit from his material body, create portals in midair, and fly with the powers of a levitating cape, and all in an effort to save the world from an outer demon.

My biggest problem with this highly entertaining (and funny) addition to the MCU is its swaying away from the familiar gadgets and aliens of the previous films and more into an out-of-place exploration of man’s relationship with the occult. It’s not odd to say, especially considering that they do not do a very good job at portraying it.

Normally, if there was a cult such as this one who depend on old spiritual tradition, why are they of all different races around the world? We have one White woman, one Black man, and one Asian, and several others who are from places I cannot possibly pinpoint. It may not matter to you, but this really hurts the film’s believability.

Although I do give director Scott Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) credit for telling the story as if it were a real Buddhist or Hindu legend, while at the same time a part of our own modern culture. He does this best through the most obvious yet brilliantly executed way of combining the two: colorful trips through the spiritual universe that wows you off guard, especially when viewed behind 3-D glasses. While not in the infinite realms of the nonmaterialistic universe, Dr. Strange and his comrades fight against the assassins of time and space through showcases of city environments spinning and losing form within itself, as if you’re watching Inception though a kaleidoscope.

Older traditions of Hindu training are also exploited here in the same fashion done by The Matrix: Dr. Strange is thrown to the top of Mt. Everest to test how quickly he can form a portal back to base. It would generate shrieks of joy from all anime fans, but it later turns out to be a missed chance of character development, which leads into this film’s biggest problem…

With something as controversial and delicate as occult practices driving the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I doubt there could be a reasonable way to do something like this under Marvel’s wing perfectly. I do appreciate the risks that they have been taking to be different with each of their films (just compare and contrast Guardians of the Galaxy with Captain America: Civil War for a minute). But frankly, some risks are not worth taking. It was worth it to create the mind-bending kaleidoscopic fight sequences, but when Marvel’s name is attached, I do not believe that it would help with their branding.
The__ShowmanNov 4, 2016
Age old cinematic formula which is just looping in Hollywood especially in Marvel movies. Its the same story again with better VFX of-course plus Sherlock (Cumberbatch). Age old puns (some people do call it humor, but I don't), beaten toAge old cinematic formula which is just looping in Hollywood especially in Marvel movies. Its the same story again with better VFX of-course plus Sherlock (Cumberbatch). Age old puns (some people do call it humor, but I don't), beaten to death screenplay and Stan Lee (tired of your cameos) makes a stodgy Normal (not anymore Marvel) movie. I believe we need much better movies with good scripts and screenplays.

Just Style NO Substance!!!!
43in2014Nov 5, 2016
Related media: I have watched all of the previous Marvel films but do not know much about Dr Strange.

What's it like?: It's like a good vs evil fight, among wizards, but the twist here, since it has to relate to the modern world and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is that the prize is the control of time.

Pros:
1) There are some nice special effects that push beyond what was shown in Inception, but see Cons #2.

Cons:
1) The writing/story just wasn't good enough. Most of the characters' backgrounds and motivations were not properly explained. Most of the magical concepts and their rules weren't clearly explained too. A bit of explanation was offered at the end, but it was too little.
2) The Inception-like special effects, the fractal geometry and the spells graphics were interesting until they were over-used and they became non-events. It also left me confused as to what was going on.
3) Dr Strange did not come off as a likabe person in the end due to his multi-faceted character. I cannot root for him and I cannot root for the film.
4) Scenes involving the ultimate villain were only so-so. The most commonly seen villain was also inadequately covered.

How would the the different age groups rate it?
Children: (The film is not rated for children.)
Teens: Good
Young adults: Good
Medium age adults: Average
Old adults: Poor

Tip: There are two 'post-credit' scenes.

Rating: 3/5 (no half scores). Sorry folks. Save your money and watch it on TV.
AxeTNov 6, 2016
Starts off great, and almost thought Marvel was back telling a real world human story seriously and economically enough to pull you into the fantastic and supernatural... Well it doesn't sustain! From about the halfway point it goes rightStarts off great, and almost thought Marvel was back telling a real world human story seriously and economically enough to pull you into the fantastic and supernatural... Well it doesn't sustain! From about the halfway point it goes right down the toilet dissolving into sheer nonsense of multiverses, astral planes (I was with the initial premise even so), and resulting in monotonous overly-formulaic boredom. As a superhero flick, incredible plausibility straining scenarios are to be expected but when the very fabric of reality becomes completely unreliable as it does here, the stakes are pointless and the care for outcomes or how they come about completely nullified.

Take Superman for an example of the ultimate outlandish superhero premise:  a man who can do practically everything and is near totally invincible.  Yet because he is from another planet and the story told is executed thoughtfully and consistently on its own terms, it works. We are in suspense regarding the Man of Steel despite his too immense powers (this is regarding the comic book character and original movie series, certainly not the awful "Man of Steel" released more recently).  However with this story and its shifting natural world and changing realities regarding all space and time, it gets so ridiculous and totally out there that the audience cannot care anymore.  You cannot stay tuned to this mumbo jumbo after a certain point. So who cares about some stunning visuals?  I love the black lit alternate multiverse set pieces, but that's just a look and can never substitute for smart involving story.
Likely they stayed true to the comic book origin story with this script, however while I believe it was maybe great as a comic book in its time, this movie doesn't work at all beyond the decent beginning.

side note: Marvel's new logo sucks! They had it right with the animated flipping comic pages of the last however many years: iconic, simple, timeless. Now with the actual movie character inserts: it's already dated, too specific to recent movies, and cheap looking! Can't leave well enough alone when you're lacking in taste and analytical thought.
ryecaNov 4, 2016
To start, I saw this in IMAX 3D, which detracted from my experience of the movie. I can not recommend 3D as a viable movie technology yet; it is still more distracting than elevating. Skip 3D for now. The visuals will be more stunning withoutTo start, I saw this in IMAX 3D, which detracted from my experience of the movie. I can not recommend 3D as a viable movie technology yet; it is still more distracting than elevating. Skip 3D for now. The visuals will be more stunning without it.

Yes, this movie has some nice effects, definitely stealing or paying homage to Cyriak and Inception, etc. However, the rest of the set design in this movie is extremely cheesy - dressed up like a Disneyland parody of Nepali culture. The same goes for the costumes. I know they have to reference the comics, but they are really lame and should have taken more liberties to refine or update the characters. They pattern the fabric like the repetitious landscapes, which can work but just doesn't here. They look like they are dressing up as halloween costumes of themselves.

How is the dialogue? Really bad. Maybe intentionally bland and simple? At one point in the movie, a character says something like, "You don't choose a relic (weapon), it chooses you." Late in the movie, another character says, "Pick up a weapon (the relics)! Choose wisely!" Lol. Its like they couldn't even take the time to match the cliches they were using.

How is the action? Very mediocre. Between the unnecessary "martial arts" and the cg "energy" weapons that don't do more than regular weapons (why re-create a knife in a very complex way?), it was all just kind of boring. Some movies have small glints of special action sequences, very visceral fighting, or contemporary fighting styles, but this was very very generic. It is cliche fighting + landscape bending. They never seem to integrate the two concepts very well, except in one instance in the beginning. This is a point of confusion for me - with all of these powers, why are all of these characters fighting in such lame punch-punch-kick ways? Jackie Chan was way more creative about using his environment, and he couldn't bend space and time.

So, if the dialogue is bad, the plot is just as you would expect, the jokes are mailed-in, the action is uninspired, but the visuals are decent, I guess you might as well put that Cyriak music video "Cirrus" on repeat for two hours instead. I checked my brain out at the door and was still very underwhelmed.
djniceyNov 4, 2016
I was really hoping Marvel/Disney was going to do something fresh and original for this movie, but no, its just the same old origin story we've seen countless times before. This kind of movie is getting really stale, I don't read comic booksI was really hoping Marvel/Disney was going to do something fresh and original for this movie, but no, its just the same old origin story we've seen countless times before. This kind of movie is getting really stale, I don't read comic books but like good movies and this is only an average movie. Kaecilius is yet another underpowered, bland, villain that poses no real threat, so there is no suspense or tension, its just another by the numbers forgettable superhero film. Expand
twall3May 30, 2018
As a Christian, I chose not to see this movie when it came out, knowing it was all about new age spirituality. But then seeing Infinity War, and how cool Doctor Strange was, I was just too curious not to see it. My concerns were confirmed -As a Christian, I chose not to see this movie when it came out, knowing it was all about new age spirituality. But then seeing Infinity War, and how cool Doctor Strange was, I was just too curious not to see it. My concerns were confirmed - icky fake spiritual crap, dabbling both in new age garbage and the occult. But more than that, it was confusing and boring. Bending architecture in Inception was mind-bending, because it was a dream (we can all relate to dreams). Doing the same thing in Doctor Strange, and even more so, because of, well, I'm not sure, was meaningless and empty. I love Marvel movies, but in my opinion, this film, and Thor 2 (Dark World) can and should be ignored. The ONE good thing that came from this movie was the business of getting his hands healed. If they are healed, he'll want to go back to being a Dr, while without the healing, he'll continue to guard things as Dr. Strange. Good point to remember when we don't get everything we want in life - it may be for a higher reason. Expand
MrMovieBuffNov 4, 2016
After seeing Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe kick off with our two main heroes separated due to their different political ideologies, we are now introduced to a more interesting, and magical hero. This time, we are about toAfter seeing Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe kick off with our two main heroes separated due to their different political ideologies, we are now introduced to a more interesting, and magical hero. This time, we are about to witness a neurosurgeon harnessing magical, portal powers.

Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) is an arrogant, cocky, intellectual, and charming neurosurgeon, at times, it may seem that Cumberbatch is channeling Robert Downey Jr. when he portrays Tony Stark. He often shows off in front of his colleagues including; Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) and Nicodemus West (Michael Stuhlbarg) at the hospital he works in.

One day, as he is driving and ends up in a car accident, his hands have been damaged to the point where he may be unable to perform surgery ever again. Christine tries to help him move on, but he is too arrogant and full of himself to even try. He hears about a once paralyzed patient named Jonathan Pangborn (Benjamin Bratt), and how he was able to walk again. When he meets him, he tells Strange that the place he went to where he was able to heal was a place called "Kamar-Taj". It is there that Strange meets a man named Karl Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor) who tells him about who he must go to to cure his hands.

The person that is able to instruct him is referred to as "The Ancient One" (Tilda Swinton), and she manages to expand Strange's mind, sending him on all these mysterious, hallucinations. She does decide to train him, and he decides to listen... upon studying about what sorts of powers there are to use and how to use them, he becomes fluent in opening portals and releasing his "Astro body", which is almost like an out-of-body experience.

One of The Ancient One's former students, Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen) is planning to use the darker magic, as he feels that The Ancient One has been lying to him and underestimated his abilities.

'Doctor Strange' is an average and generic superhero movie disguised as a special effects, almost 'Inception' (2010)-like extravaganza. Yes, the kaleidoscopic effects are amazing, and actually I do recommend paying extra to see this in 3D. The action sequences are eye-popping as we see our characters constantly manipulate and bend landscapes to get away from the antagonists.

Cumberbatch proves to be a worthy addition to the Marvel Universe, his charm and wit will surely be a good replacement once Robert Downey Jr's contract ends. I was disappointed as to how underused Rachel McAdams was... to me, she was nothing more than another superhero love interest, I thought that there could be more depth to her character.

Once again, Mads Mikkelsen joins the club of another underused Marvel villain, at this point, it shouldn't surprise you. Not to mention that the humor in this film is mainly hit and miss, we get some pop-culture references from time to time, and they felt tacked on and forced... there is nothing wrong to add levity, but when it's not needed, it's not needed.

The first act is very clunky, and rushed, the execution of how Dr. Strange was able to find the place he was looking for felt rushed, and he learns how to control these powers in the first twenty minutes of the movie. When you look back on 'Iron Man' (2008), it took Stark at least forty-five minutes of the movie to learn how to control his suits before he truly became "Iron Man". I also felt that the third act could have done with a bit more tension, as the final confrontation felt convenient as the solution was not hard to figure out.

I am familiar with the "Doctor Strange" comics years ago, in fact, I'm surprised that not many people have heard of this character... I'm surprised that he considered a sort-of B-List Marvel character, as I thought a magical hero like him should be more popular. With this film, which is only clocking in at 1 hour and 55 minutes, I feel that it's too short, in fact I wasn't able to tell where the second act ended and where the third act began, it all felt like one huge action scene. Maybe, it could have been 15 minutes longer? To develop the characters a bit better.

The direction by Scott Derrickson is inspired, and the music by Michael Giacchino is somewhat disappointing. The special effects are incredible and one of the best in the MCU... but overall, the story is just... okay.
DimajexMar 2, 2017
The Marvel Formula get applied to Inception... meh. Other than some decent actors it is hard to find much to like about this movie. Magic is a bit painful because at least in the world of Dr. Strange it doesn't seem to have any rules. So aThe Marvel Formula get applied to Inception... meh. Other than some decent actors it is hard to find much to like about this movie. Magic is a bit painful because at least in the world of Dr. Strange it doesn't seem to have any rules. So a bunch of stuff happens and the audience is left saying, "Sure, why not." Expand
wesker2012Mar 11, 2018
It's the usual modern super hero formula. Gets the job done, but in the end, it's pretty forgettable. Good special effects, but pretty predictable and not very exciting.
JackalJan 18, 2017
The movie was Ok. Love Marvel and the character was a comic book hero I had as a child. A tad OTT thus the score but it was still a good film. Well portrayed and well made...just went too far unfortunately but still worth watching.
sanyrubApr 10, 2017
One more basic superhero origin story. Nothing new under teh radar. Despite the great visuals (that keep improvinga nd improving with each blockbuster we get), the story is a very simple one, as expected. As in most Marvel flicks, there´s noOne more basic superhero origin story. Nothing new under teh radar. Despite the great visuals (that keep improvinga nd improving with each blockbuster we get), the story is a very simple one, as expected. As in most Marvel flicks, there´s no room for acting pieces or anything that stands out. Just pure "entertainment" at the very well planned same pace. It just becomes more boring with each new release. People who love visuals with not much thought will keep enjoying this. The rest of film lovers can skip this, as usual. Expand
eagleeyevikingFeb 23, 2017
Despite awe-inspiring, trippy special effects and fantastic action, Marvel's Doctor Strange is plagued by wooden dialogue, a dour tone, poor performances and clichéd plot.
BlueskymotionMay 17, 2017
sorry but I was greatly dissapointed of this movie - the script is flat and predictable. Yes, the special effects are great but annoyingly overblown .. I don't hink this movie deserves any rating more then 6.5 - 7 .. so I give it a 6
BitmouseNov 7, 2016
Meh. More Marvel mediocrity.

Meh. More Marvel mediocrity.

Why does every Marvel hero need to be a white male who is either an arrogant condescending prick or a martyr (in psych language this term is often used to describe someone who has a poor sense of self worth and often takes on the pain of others to justify being loved)? Thoughts on the racial bias of lead roles aside, where are the balanced normal people?

This movie starts with a fairly decent existential exposition with an interesting exploration of the nature of reality. However, it soon descends into the normal Marvel drible of madman serving some unconvincingly shrouded reimagining of one dimenosional personified evil who must of course be fought, through brute force, by some previously mentioned prick/martyr to save the world and usually get the girl.

While I do admire all of these adaptations of the monomyth, for they do hold the cultural imagination, loosely, by their shaky reflection of these classic tropes, I find Marvel as always squanders the opportunity to do something truly great.

Movie could be the living bible of our civilization. Base entertainment could combine with high spiritual truth and myth. However, most film falls far.

It makes me for what purpose people write these movies? I would imagine for profit, prestige, and power.

Had they learned from the myths to which they owe their livelihood they would learn that such goals lead to naught.

A higher course would yield higher fruit.
evokingsMay 1, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There were moments where it was interesting, but there was no real ending, or fight worthy of a marvel comic movie, and with no real enemy to fight that could match wits with DR Strange, the whole thing felt single sided in DR Strange's favor, his attitude is I don't know what I'm doing then out of nowhere hes all like, nothing can touch me I only just got this cloak LoL...I feel you could eliminate the hollow love interest in this movie, Strange barely is in contact with her, and he shunned her out for a long time thats interesting but not pivotal to the main plot, and of course there are lots of matrix like effects in this movie that look okay, That reminds me of The "I'm here to bargain moment" ugh the lazy writing, and cost cutting, why repeat the same scene over and over again, I honestly felt this was more to annoy the viewer then door-mom-moo LoL, I wish he had a real villain, this is a kinda stupid plot a generic monk with guy-liner... We know little about this monk and his motives, in the movie we get 1 or 2 moments vary rush-revealing them and nothing else, I can empathize with villains like the joker in batman, or doctor Octavius from Spider man then this generic monk, and I don't understand the comments made in the movie about DR Strange being an arrogant doctor/person in the movie [no matter what you think or say, Hugh lorry is a million times more arrogant lol]... Strange is not arrogant, this is a paper thin statement thats presented to the viewer, there is vary little to asses this as factual in the movie,I think more development on that would make the statement less hollow, honestly he sounds like a guy that wants to do the right thing and save lives as a doctor... he kinda reminds me of Richard Kimball from the movie the Fugitive. I have not read the comics but I might like them better then this movie. Expand
potatoman222Jul 21, 2017
Doctor Strange chamou a atenção de todos com sua promessa de uma experiência nunca antes vivida em um filme da Marvel e em partes, ele paga essa promessa. Entretanto, o filme não se larga da 'formula Marlvel' e toda a novidade que o filmeDoctor Strange chamou a atenção de todos com sua promessa de uma experiência nunca antes vivida em um filme da Marvel e em partes, ele paga essa promessa. Entretanto, o filme não se larga da 'formula Marlvel' e toda a novidade que o filme oferece é ofuscada pelo roteiro arroz-com-feijão que é tão auto-explicativo que chega a ser redundante. Expand
Termin8terFeb 13, 2018
This movie made me give up on the MCU. This movie is so average, so forgettable, that it made me feel numb in my mind. Yes, the CGI is good, but you barely give a damn because the movie is so mind-numbingly dull. The acting, directing, storyThis movie made me give up on the MCU. This movie is so average, so forgettable, that it made me feel numb in my mind. Yes, the CGI is good, but you barely give a damn because the movie is so mind-numbingly dull. The acting, directing, story and action is quite bland. I have not seen an MCU movie since I saw this one, and I only plan to see Avengers 4, because it's the culmination of the 5 year build up of Thanos and the Infinity Stones, which I admittedly find exciting. But don't see this movie. You have been warned. Expand
weirdcryoNov 26, 2016
I never got involved emotionally with any of the characters of the screen, a waste of great actors in meaningless performances because of how limited their rols are, the only character with enough time to grow on people (Stephen Strange)I never got involved emotionally with any of the characters of the screen, a waste of great actors in meaningless performances because of how limited their rols are, the only character with enough time to grow on people (Stephen Strange) missed me completly.
The story is interesting but it could definitely be developed more as a tv show making characters more engaging, as film, it felt rushed and as a missed oportunity that doesn't deserve a second watch.
The visual effects are superb, the music in the other hand, as other in the Marvel Universe, is uninspiring and generic.

What bothered me the most was the wasted oportunity of having great actors and not give their characters a correct development, specially Mads Mikkelsen.
tethysdustNov 24, 2016
The visual effects and action are really good. However, there's not that much story and the characters feel empty. There are several gaping plot holes that you have to just accept. I enjoyed watching it, but I don't think it will beThe visual effects and action are really good. However, there's not that much story and the characters feel empty. There are several gaping plot holes that you have to just accept. I enjoyed watching it, but I don't think it will be remembered as the height of Marvel. Expand
Xan_RyilDec 9, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. About Dr.Strange, I would like to quote what my late (Imaginary) mentor said about Angelina Jolie’s Salt back in 2010 “This movie has holes in it big enough to drive the whole movie through. The laws of physics seem to be suspended here the same way as in a Road Runner cartoon”.

But is it a good film, we will establish that first we need to look into the matter if “Dr. Strange was rip off, of Christopher Nolan’s movies”
Throughout the movie, characters, special effects and plot was shouting Nolan’s name because it was strikingly very much similar to at least 3 of his movies.
1. Batman Begins
A rich guy goes to Himalayas then comes back enriched with new deathly set of skills/arts with a new persona, does that rings a bell? And the whole texture of the screen, clouds, darker colors, soul shaking crush on a friend who is taking her job very seriously.
There is another tiny bit resemblance, which might the homage to longer twist in batman. Initially Ras’ul Akh’s identity is mistaken by Bruce. So is done by Strange with ancient one.
2. Inception
Now that’s what everyone is talking about the physics defying scenes of inception have been stretched out. Also worth mentioning are those Hallway/Lobby scenes from Inception where no CGI was used and in Dr. Strange it’s all about CGI with excessive artwork and too much goes on too quick that it loses it’s charm. Apart from the visual similarities, the ending of Dr. Strange has huge influence from Inception where characters might get trap in the deepest of the memories for ever. In Dr. Strange it also takes inspiration for ending from another of Nolan’s movie.
3. Interstellar
We travel in alternate dimensions many times in Dr. Strange but do we remember our travels through wormholes? Of course there had been worm holes in movies since decades but we got familiar to the term after Interstellar but the design of wormholes and the fact that it takes you inside a black hole instead of future or past is impact of Interstellar. Dormammu (as funny as it sounds, especially from Bennedict’s mouth) is a fantasized version of a black hole trying to take over the earth. As explained earlier, ending is also inspired by Interstellar where key to save the world lies within a black hole and Hero has to go into it. Ancient One’s character is hugely inspired by Professor Brand from Interstellar as they both introduce the lead character to the object of the plot near the end shown to have kept secret to themselves.
Beside Nolan’s massive impact on the movie, there are other influences which are quite visible. Kaecilius sidekicks were much like characters from Thor, I would not be much surprised to know that they were using same costume, considering the fact that they will share the Marvel universe soon will make it cost effective for producers. It seems like Bennedict is the guy to play role of photographic memory as it’s his 3rd role after Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock and Alan Turning in The Imitation Games. Although Bennedict is brilliant actor but if you are playing similar role again and again it might not be that much entertaining. His role of Alan Turning was different but playing Dr. Strange is very much similar to Playing Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness. Tilda Swinton is brilliant and the only person who fits into the role and does justification to it. Swinton brings charisma with her personality, mild British accent and ability to look stunning with bald head. It’s a shame her character met its destiny, as it could have brought interesting background in upcoming movies. Rest of the cast were not given much chance to prove anything.
Story is not that different from any action or superhero movie ever made. With lose ends like the death of Ancient One (who only has aliases and not funny name), accident of Strange over shoreline, the object to control time was just laid around and the fact how strange manage to successfully maneuver the feat at first attempt, how skull of ancient one was still intact after falling from height of hundreds of feet. And the strategic scheduling of the movie right after Captain America Civil War, where it introduces mirror reality concept. So now all the dirty fight can take place in mirror universe while real one remains intact saving Avengers from future lawsuits. Overall Dr. Strange is enjoyable, especially for its opening sequence and special effects. But again it’s more of form over no substance.
moothemagiccowJan 28, 2017
This is an incredibly cheesy fantasy movie that gets a pass because it's from Marvel.
The first scene had me laughing out loud at the wizards in bad costumes running through modern-day London. At least Harry Potter had the sense to tone down the pointy hats and robes. The costumes blend in during the temple scenes, but Strange's iconic outfit and hair still looks silly.

The plotholes are really too many to count. You can turn back time to save X, but not Y. Strange is a novice getting lucky in a fight for ten minutes, while a pro is dead in seconds. Then said novice is fighting for the planet fifteen minutes later and doing exceptionally well. People walk on walls to attack him, well, just because they can, I suppose. Strange's friends show up to help in seconds... or sometimes they arrive after everything has gone wrong.

The romance subplot is forced. His love interest starts out as someone for the doctor to talk to, and instead of being left behind as the story enters a fantasy realm, is the only on-call surgeon in all of New York City, which Strange conveniently finds himself returning to over and over. She's then relegated to gags where she's surprised at his superpowers.

Cumberbatch's American accent is cringe-inducing. I see no reason why they couldn't just let the character be English. The sequel setups and hamfisted mentions of other Marvel movie characters will also make you wince.

A plethora of CGI scenes seem more useful in describing an acid trip than serving any real use for the movie. They drag on just like the glut of fight scenes against faceless warriors with no lines and identical outfits. Even the main villain gets no more backstory than "disciple who lost his way." The monstrous force he's summoning? Well it likes eating planets, and hungers particularly for Earth. Why? Well that's not important right now. Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but even the 2007 animated movie handled the story better than this. The saddest part is the movie's attempts at humor. Sometimes it works - Strange's sight gag of lifting library books was a great scene - but most of the jokes seem like the work of a Disney Channel writers' room. When they get something that might be worth a chuckle, they run it straight into the ground.

The movie wasn't great, but it had the occasional bright spot, and it wasn't boring enough to shut off.
Judge_ReddNov 14, 2016
I really enjoyed the special effects. This film clearly had a high production budget and reminded me of Inception. Still, while the actors did a fine job, I became a little disappointed with the clunky character development of theI really enjoyed the special effects. This film clearly had a high production budget and reminded me of Inception. Still, while the actors did a fine job, I became a little disappointed with the clunky character development of the protagonist and shallow reasoning of the characters. I feel like I could have taken 10 restroom breaks and come back without having missed anything of substance. Expand
ComandanteCobraNov 14, 2016
Mixed Movie. Not bad, but not great. It's main weakness is in the script that isn't very memorable and tend to hit the same beats of other movie.
Average story, prevedible jokes, anonimous Bad guyz, too much introduction, boring action sequences...and some characterisation is also not up to the mark or way off the comics (for example Ancient One).
Good: Scenography settings are a very good homage to psychedelic '60s comic books art.
shiftworkerNov 30, 2016
Martial Arts fantasy. Benedict Cumberbatch's days as a surgeon are ruined, leading him to spiritual training in the Far East and a contest between good and evil forces. Starts well. But then becomes bogs down in mumbo jumbo and set pieceMartial Arts fantasy. Benedict Cumberbatch's days as a surgeon are ruined, leading him to spiritual training in the Far East and a contest between good and evil forces. Starts well. But then becomes bogs down in mumbo jumbo and set piece fights. The special effects are impressive and the cast put in good performances. Expand
hassallNov 6, 2016
I liked the movie but the story was a bit weak and i wanted more from the bad guy. I feel like marvel is just coping the comic books they did years and put them into movies, the movie wasnt bad wasnt good
dspratlinNov 19, 2016
What’s it about?

What’s it about?

A former surgeon with damaged hands named Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) becomes a powerful sorcerer under the tutelage of a mystic known as the Ancient One (Tilda Swinton). Rachel McAdams, Mads Mikkelsen, and Chiwetel Ejiofor co-star in this entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

What did I think?

A highly polished affair featuring possibly the most impressive visual effects I've seen in the MCU so far, Doctor Strange checks off most of the boxes. The performances are top notch, the often difficult transition of magic onto the big screen is well-handled and Marvel’s penchant for ever-present humor is, of course, still on show. The storyline is a bit too simplistic for my tastes but that’s the danger of an origin story combined with a need to dumb-down complex concepts. Still, Doctor Strange is a worthy addition to the ever-burgeoning MCU and will entertain for a few hours.
SturmhardtFeb 13, 2017
Very cool visuals, but the story is very boring to say the least. You have seen this story many many times: The egotistical genious who gets his life destroyed, learns how to be a good guy and saves the world. Pretty mediocre movie overall.
HomelesssJun 4, 2017
If it was the start of the Marvel Cinematic Universe the movie would've seen way much better to me, but since I already watched the same movie back when Iron Man was in the big screen...
RepentantSkyDec 20, 2017
It may seem weird to review a movie that didn't even come out this year, as the year itself is wrapping up, but I feel I have something to add to the opinions listed here. That addition, as you can see by the rating I've given is not a one ofIt may seem weird to review a movie that didn't even come out this year, as the year itself is wrapping up, but I feel I have something to add to the opinions listed here. That addition, as you can see by the rating I've given is not a one of high praise, or of utter disgust, but rather more something in the middle. Doctor Strange is by no means a bad film, but it falls into that quickly done "Hero's Journey" story we all seen tine and again. That doesn't make it bad or anything mind, but predictable, plus there's something to be said about the fact that the final third act is basically fight after fight with little to no story involved. The plights some of the characters go through are hard to believe, Strange's story is one we've seen a thousand times before, just going off of basic stereotypes we've all gotten pretty tired of and the plot is easy to figure out, making it feel less impactful than it should. Sure, the ending is smart, and that on top of Cumberbatch's performance are what lead me to give the film a six, but it's a clear sign that the MCU needs to do more to try and keep fans of the comics, and fans of the film pleased, but don't quite know how. I don't hate this film, I don't love it, and that's the problem, because I used to love everything that MCU was despite my love of the comics, and this was just okay, and so has every MCU film been since. Let's hope Infinity War can fix the issues and somewhat stagnant feeling brought on by recent works, and really reinvigorate the film franchise the way the first film did, because right now, I don't feel the hype for the upcoming films that I used to, and I miss it. Expand
WalterKovacsDec 26, 2017
Enjoyable film with a plot more original then the typical comic book film. A must see for fans of the genre.
bw14916Feb 4, 2018
Doctor Strange has great visuals and a creative ending, but they don't save this boring story. The origin story is very uninspiring. With the introduction of magic, a lot of time is spent on exposition which drags things down. The villain isDoctor Strange has great visuals and a creative ending, but they don't save this boring story. The origin story is very uninspiring. With the introduction of magic, a lot of time is spent on exposition which drags things down. The villain is very weak and you won't even remember his name at the end of the movie. Expand
Raouf314Apr 3, 2018
It's just tea, with a little bit of honey - they said
Would be nice to have a cup every once in a while.
LivingTribunalApr 23, 2018
Those special effects were so good and I remember thinking that in 5 years, there won't be a huge development from this movie's CGI because it is perfect, but I realised that it was not true after seeing Ready Player One. I understand thatThose special effects were so good and I remember thinking that in 5 years, there won't be a huge development from this movie's CGI because it is perfect, but I realised that it was not true after seeing Ready Player One. I understand that it's a good movie, but the plot was not enough to support its CGI. The Villain was so disappointing, however I was entertained a lot when I was watching the movie. Expand
criticssuckdickAug 3, 2018
This movie is good but it made me confused.
The visuals are very strange but very beautiful aswell
If you like doctor strange and strangely beautiful visuals then give it a watch.
ShiningLionApr 11, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "After a tragic car accident" says the synopsis, but it couldn't be more wrong. The car accident is not tragic in the sense of evoking sympathy, and it's hardly even an accident. The title character ends up mutilating himself and losing proper function of his hands by driving like a cocky idiot speeding around in his Ferrari (or whatever it is) and passing cars on a snaking cliff roadway in a no-passing zone. He gets what he deserves for playing with a car like it's a toy instead of a hazardous piece of machinery, and we never even hear if the people he crashed into were injured or died, the film is so focused on trying to make us feel sympathy for its egotistical, entitled, cocky watered-down rehash of Tony Stark. Everything about the story in this film is ridiculous, nonsensical, or outright cheesy (there's a fight scene that would not be out of place in Ghostbusters). The redeeming qualities of this film are that the visual effects and fight scenes are incredible eye-candy, some of the best I've seen in film. This movie is a safe and legal alternative to huffing air cans and staring at a screensaver, but that's about the best it does. The characters are cliche and uninteresting. Dr. Strange is actually rather unlikable, even more so than Tony Stark, with little redeeming qualities. The film doesn't really convince us that he was able to master these abilities so easily and so quickly. It seems to happen overnight giving off a really strong Mary Sue vibe for the Doc. If you've seen the anime X and the movie Inception though prepare yourself for a film that basically heavily borrows from both (whether intended or not). Oh yeah, there's also several extended and close-up shots of surgery and people getting stitches, which is anxiety-inducing and about as fun to sit through as a live birth. I honestly think a 4 is a little generous for this film since I really hated almost everything about it except the action and the visuals, but again, Marvel outdid themselves with the visual effects so I'll give them credit where it's due. Expand
CoreGamer1408Oct 11, 2018
The terrible American accent killed it for me. The guy should of got some speech coaching lessons off the actor who plays Rick Grimes in the Walking Dead TV series. I keep forgetting he is British for sure. Film was ok-ish when Dr StrangeThe terrible American accent killed it for me. The guy should of got some speech coaching lessons off the actor who plays Rick Grimes in the Walking Dead TV series. I keep forgetting he is British for sure. Film was ok-ish when Dr Strange wasn't talking. Expand
Joseph13Dec 5, 2020
after civil var, age of ultron etc. this movie was disappointment;( i try so hard to not fall asleep ugh it’s definitely not a bad film but it’s just lack something and idk what
noob328Dec 8, 2020
this movie is just a bootleg inception and was really boring at times. cumberbatch was good tho
I9gzMar 30, 2021
Great visuals and fun action sequences paired with a mediocre everything else.