Universal Pictures | Release Date: January 17, 2020
5.1
Mixed or average reviews based on 46 Ratings
Watch Now
JortigoJan 17, 2020
This is basically the worst movie of 2020 that has just begun... The studio that made this movie must be very sorry for investing in this ****
HipsterDufusJan 18, 2020
Not good. Eddie Murphy version is better IMO. This was boring and the farcicle story is incomprehesable. I kept thinking Downeys voice was voiced over by another actor. Little kids should enjoy it.
ChrisMizerakJan 19, 2020
I think most if not all of us can agree on one thing. “Dolittle” seemed set up to fail from the start, and hardly anything about the current final product could fix that. Now before we call the vet, doctor, pet detective or ambulance ontoI think most if not all of us can agree on one thing. “Dolittle” seemed set up to fail from the start, and hardly anything about the current final product could fix that. Now before we call the vet, doctor, pet detective or ambulance onto this typical crime scene, let’s acknowledge a few things the film gets right. It starts off just fine with a 2D animated sequence detailing Doctor Dolittle’s backstory. In fact, I think if the entire film were done in traditional animation, that would have made much more sense. It would bring something new to the table in comparison to the previous live-action film adaptations before it. Unfortunately, it’s just a few minutes. But imagine the possibilities of this film working had they attempted going for this approach. I will also commend the filmmakers for not doing wall-to-wall excremental humor jokes throughout the entire feature, which considering the subject matter they could very well have done. Don’t get me wrong, that juvenile humor is still ever present in the final product, but it isn’t as in your face as something you’d get from a standard Happy Madison production, at least not yet. And finally, the film has its mind set in the right place in terms of its concept. The idea in question being the befriending of animals and coming to their aid, which in return results in vice versa. The spirit behind this attitude is well meaning, as proven by the box office success of films tackling similar subject matter: “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective” and the Eddie Murphy version of “Dr. Dolittle”. If done the right way, a film about an animal doctor or detective can work. Needless to say, this is not the right way.

You don’t need a medical professional to tell you that “Dolittle” is in dire need of a cure for its inconsistent direction and tone alongside its thoroughly confused script. The dialogue is handled either one of the following two ways: it’s Victorian-era authentic or common sayings you hear in the 2010s. About a hundred years worth of difference in speech styles is easily noticeable and distracting, and a lot of this goes a long way. The characters, both human and mammal, are incredibly weak. Character development and motivations are not set up properly. The young boy aiding Dolittle in his quest brags about doing this and that throughout his arc, but his self-weighted importance never matches his actual contributions to the story, which is simply nothing. The young English girl that we see at the film’s beginning and end was a more suitable sidekick in my book. Antagonists to Doctor Dolittle are established, but the motivations and reasons why they were established seemed to be forgotten about. Some of you may be bold to ask: how many times do we see our titular character do anything resembling an animal doctor? Thankfully, yours truly has an answer ready: TWO! One takes places early on and is handled alright, all things considered. The other takes place in the third act with a dragon of all creatures, and reminds me how badly the film lost its way. You know you’re in trouble when something such as “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective”, a film that barely focuses on pet detection half the time, does more with animal doctors than this film does. “Dolittle” hardly does anything with an interesting concept, instead following a tired family formula of going on a globe-trotting adventure around the world in search of an immensely valuable resource. I would have liked this film much better if it dared to do something more grounded in reality. In other words, follow the everyday life of an animal doctor that can care for multiple species and speak all of their diverse languages. Maybe have this doctor promote world peace amongst the humans, birds, dogs, elephants, lions, tigers, bears, and insects that populate Earth. Maybe Dolittle could have training schools to teach aspiring students what he knows, have students open up different divisions for animal care (psychologists, dentists, things of that sort), just go all out with this idea. Anything but this stale formula family film template that doesn’t take advantage of the possible quirks of the main protagonist’s profession. Because as it is now, there’s no way that a disjointed, tone-deaf and unimaginative mess such as “Dolittle” is going to make it in the long run. Not with an overdependence on CGI and animals that are never there, not with soulless personalities on screen (despite the talented cast in its realm), and certainly not with an incompetent script that can’t decide what kind of movie this should be in the first place. Ace Ventura, call an ambulance. I’m hit.
ChrisM1979Jan 20, 2020
One big problem I think this movie has is the sound mix. There is an almost non stop music score that is in constant competition with the dialog (meaning the music and he dialog are at the same volume and it was hard to differentiate theOne big problem I think this movie has is the sound mix. There is an almost non stop music score that is in constant competition with the dialog (meaning the music and he dialog are at the same volume and it was hard to differentiate the two). That with the sound effects made it an actual cacophony. I watched the credits to see where the film's sound was mixed and was blown away to see it was done buy Skywalker sound sound which is the best in the business. It was just weird. I could hardly understand Downey's dialog half the time. Also there was a gag every second, it was just too much. There was just no down time to listen to any story or character development. I think re-edited it could be better to the point of it being an "okay" film but as it is wasn't very good. Too bad because I wanted to like it. Expand
TVJerryJan 20, 2020
This reiteration of the doctor who can talk to animals stars Robert Downey Jr., using a weirdly soft voice that sounds like he dubbed the dialogue in the studio. Considering his star power, he's the least interesting thing in the movie. HisThis reiteration of the doctor who can talk to animals stars Robert Downey Jr., using a weirdly soft voice that sounds like he dubbed the dialogue in the studio. Considering his star power, he's the least interesting thing in the movie. His character sets out on an adventure with a young apprentice and a menagerie of personable animals to acquire a special cure for the Queen of England. What children will enjoy most (and yes, this is a film for kids) is the animals. A stellar lineup of actors are voicing them, often with enjoyable personalities. It's a bit sad that the writers felt necessary to cater to today's style, by dropping modern cultural references and even contemporary slang. Still, the creature comments provide the only fun in this ungainly escapade. Expand
The3AcademySinsJan 17, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing Cats and Dolittle back to back, I am quite convinced that movies about animals should never be made ever again.

Dolittle suffers from bad CGI, badly written dialogue, badly developed and utilized characters, and RDJ's really bad accent. This movie is supposed to be an inoffensive kids film, but a dragon enema occurs very abruptly and without warning at the end of the movie. Yes, you read that correctly. Unfortunately, Dolittle is not a movie I hope to ever see again.
JPKJan 17, 2020
Awful
With a great cast, Dolittle had everything going for it, But sadly, It is one of the worst family movies I’ve seen the last few years.
JLuis_001Jan 18, 2020
This felt like a mixture of Sherlock Holmes, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Jungle Book and Land of the Lost and didn't land in any of its attempts.

Downey Jr. will attract the audiences but this was quite disappointing. The voice

Downey Jr. will attract the audiences but this was quite disappointing.

The voice work was pretty good though.
bfoore90Jan 17, 2020
175 million dollars for 100 minutes of Robert Downey Jr's awful accent, underdeveloped characters and getting to watch him give a dragon an enema.......seems legit.
MetaVinceJan 18, 2020
Take the kids, they'll like it. Why are people rating this movie like it's an adult movie. This movie is to take the kids to. Sleep, nap, count to a million, watch... whatever.
HopOnJan 17, 2020
Excellent, nothing is perfect. Different opinions. I don't know what else to say
JamFunJan 17, 2020
Seems like fun journey, okay cgi. Maybe see it once if you're interested in Dolittle.
VidalJan 17, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. great effects, great action, everthing perfect, the voices mach perfectly!!! Expand
ToraResaJan 18, 2020
I loved this movie!!! It was so good and so much like the original than the one with Eddy Murphey. I loved it.
OliverlJan 21, 2020
I really enjoyed this movie I hate it when a movie gets such a bad rap, even though it has such a good heart and had a lot of good humor, really liked it, highly recommend it.
NavyBeanJan 21, 2020
Animals can talk? Apparently a meerkat can write a script too. I hope they hire a llama to write the sequel.
Compi24Jan 21, 2020
More misguided and uninspired than it is just plain "bad" in my opinion, Stephen Gaghan's "Dolittle" represents the textbook case of a studio pouring funds into an adaptation of a shaky IP, not being pleased with the results, and then hackingMore misguided and uninspired than it is just plain "bad" in my opinion, Stephen Gaghan's "Dolittle" represents the textbook case of a studio pouring funds into an adaptation of a shaky IP, not being pleased with the results, and then hacking it to bits in order to cut the runtime so it can get screened more often in theaters. The greatest shame, however, lies not in the questionable effects, iffy plotting, or spotty performance work. The greatest shame is that, I think there was something "there" with this one -- a potentially pleasant story, with satisfying ,emotional undertones and a great sense of whimsy to it. It's just that this movie didn't know what it wanted to be. It has the soul of a PG-13 film (see Robert Downey Jr.'s misanthropic, bitter turn as the titular veterinarian and widower) and the frills and feathers of a G-rated romp (see. . .everything else). Do I feel particularly bad for those involved? Not necessarily. It's a misfire, but I'm certain everyone involved will work once more. I just hope they've taken any/all creative lessons they've learned from this experience to heart. Expand
313btfuJan 22, 2020
Dolittle is a passable film with a concrete plot and vast, colorful settings. While the film may not have the same appeal for adults, the animals are well done and the comedy is simple which should make the movie a good time for youngerDolittle is a passable film with a concrete plot and vast, colorful settings. While the film may not have the same appeal for adults, the animals are well done and the comedy is simple which should make the movie a good time for younger audiences. Robert Downey Jr. as the titular Dolittle felt underutilized as a whole, and no other performances really stuck out. Expand
Charchar17Jan 22, 2020
This movie is of the wall bad I mean some of the worst Cgi ever it's really boring the story isnt good nothing about this movie is good they wasted Robert downey junior