The Film Arcade | Release Date: July 22, 2016
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 82 Ratings
Watch Now
RvwFromUpHereSep 16, 2016
Who: Mike Birbiglia, Ted's girlfriend at the end of Scrubs, Britta, and Hingle McCringleberry as Jack
What: A heartfelt comedy with improv comics
What: A heartfelt comedy with improv comics
Where: The poor part of New York City where dreams go to die, and people move to to follow their dreams.
When (Can I watch again): For every 3 times you watch Sleepwalk with Me, you can watch this movie again.
Why: If you're a fan of Mike Birbiglia's standup, or just independent comedies in general, this movie will be a delight.
moothemagiccowDec 13, 2016
This movie is incredibly hard to watch because the comedy troupe is incredibly annoying. They spend every minute together trying to be funny, on and off stage, and it just does not work. You suffer through a series of awful in-jokes andThis movie is incredibly hard to watch because the comedy troupe is incredibly annoying. They spend every minute together trying to be funny, on and off stage, and it just does not work. You suffer through a series of awful in-jokes and bizarre habits, and that's before you have to watch people pretend to do improv comedy.
The story itself is actually fairly good. Once you can get past how irritating four people trying to get on TV are, there's a good lesson about the perils of obsessing over "making it."
tcoldironJan 8, 2017
The critics have really lost their way on this one. The immensely talented Keegan-Michael Key is the only reason to watch it, but he can't carry the whole movie. My advice: Do not waste your time. Just trying to be helpful.
moviemitch96Aug 20, 2016
This film got rave reviews (99% on RT) and after seeing it, I can't understand for the life of me why. I found it to be nothing more than an inept and indecisive dramedy that couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be funny or serious.This film got rave reviews (99% on RT) and after seeing it, I can't understand for the life of me why. I found it to be nothing more than an inept and indecisive dramedy that couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be funny or serious. Yes, the whole "dramedy" thing has worked in the past for several other films, but this one just couldn't seem to find a good balance for it. In addition, with the exception of Keegan-Michael Key, the whole cast just looked bored and confused the whole film and it seemed like they had no idea what they were doing and their improv skills were amateurish at best. Admittedly, it did have its sweet and fun moments, but they weren't near enough to make up for the rest of the film's awkwardness and I only recall getting only one genuine laugh out of the whole film. Overall, I'm still quite baffled and trying to wrap my head around this film's unanimous critical hype. There's no way I saw the same film as the critics. Expand
BananafishAug 6, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Usually reviewers come online to rant or rave, and I wish to do neither as I felt it was truly just "OK". However, I must ask -w here are these stellar reviews coming from? Did they see a different movie? This was the Citizen Kane of dramady about improv comedians?

Look, I like Brigbiglia and Glass a lot (have been fans for a long time) and love improve comedy and really wanted to like this movie more than I did. With the exception of his character, the rest of the characters are totally two-dimensional. The still lives-at-home pothead. The emo doodle girl (the only thing missing was a heart on her sleve.) The detached "trouble as a child" girl who now has overly-expressed "issues". The hummus guy was a believable character but just very boring and melodramatic. Some of the dialogue these two-dimensional characters was ok, a little was clever, but most seemed totally contrived.

This is another "dramady", a la Silver-linings Playbook or August in Osage County that attempts to play to both important genres, truly doing neither successfully. This movie does not captivate emotionally as a drama; we never really care about the characters and the plot elements are totally grade school and predictable. That's ok, if it was just meant as a comedy to provide some laughs, but despite a full auditorium, I heard only a few polite chuckles. Common, you have all seen great comedy. This was not really funny - not even by a long shot.

More than anything I'm frustrated, because I really, really wanted to like this movie and want a wonderful Improv comedy movie to come out. Is this what we've come to, when a movie has a quasi-intellectual dilemna about one member of a troup "making it" and others not, that gets 90's and 100's from all the critics? Someone publish a scholarly journal on this one.

To use a line from the movie, when someone is asked why they had a bad day and they complain "I got back earlyyy from Europe". The actors can't help but mock that person as being somewhat petty, self-indulgent and also really just who cares because that's not really something worth dwelling on. Well, the entire movie is like that line. I just had to point that out, because apparently everyone else saw Citizen Kane.
TVJerryAug 20, 2016
Comic Mike Birbiglia stars in, wrote & directed this dissection of an improv troupe that finds their friendships tested when one of them gets a job on a SNL type show. This excellent ensemble captures a warm camaraderie that's all the moreComic Mike Birbiglia stars in, wrote & directed this dissection of an improv troupe that finds their friendships tested when one of them gets a job on a SNL type show. This excellent ensemble captures a warm camaraderie that's all the more poignant when conflicts arise. Yep, there are some funny moments, but this film wallows in awkward encounters and unhappy, unstable egos. As a result, there's much more drama than comedy. Still, it's an enjoyable indie for anyone who enjoys the world of improvised theatre. Expand
Brent_MarchantJul 30, 2016
A lively, funny, irreverent look at the world of improv comedy and the struggle for that proverbial big break. From start to finish, the film feels genuine in its storyline, its humor, and its attempts to convey the hopes, dreams andA lively, funny, irreverent look at the world of improv comedy and the struggle for that proverbial big break. From start to finish, the film feels genuine in its storyline, its humor, and its attempts to convey the hopes, dreams and frustrations of making it big while remaining true to oneself and one's peers. A sure-fire winner in virtually every regard. Expand
BrianMcCriticJan 1, 2017
Wow this film really surprised me. You really feel these people's struggles, but you understand their desire to continue as this is their singular focus in life. This film is the most grounded film of the year in my opinion and I really enjoyed it. A
skeptic303Sep 20, 2016
Don't Think Twice is one of the most under-watched movies of 2016. Its story about a group of people involved with improvisational comedy is excellent. The people in this group watch as a member of their group makes it to a hit TV comedyDon't Think Twice is one of the most under-watched movies of 2016. Its story about a group of people involved with improvisational comedy is excellent. The people in this group watch as a member of their group makes it to a hit TV comedy show, and they realize that despite their wishes, they maybe won't make it after all. Everything here was done well: characters, story, conflict, plot. Additionally, Don't Think Twice is another excellent example of comedy done right, and in case people are unfamiliar with improvisational comedy, the movie explains what it is. Though it approaches its themes with a light touch, it doesn't resort to steering clear from its conflict. This is a short, flawless movie, and it isn't just the best comedy of the year. This is one of the best movies of the year, and I'll proudly award it my seal of approval. Expand
podaddySep 7, 2016
Funny and heartfelt film. Some of the critiques here are rather puzzling. One common knock is that the film doesn't know if it wants to be funny or serious. That's a pretty ridiculous observation. This film reminded me of the Netflix seriesFunny and heartfelt film. Some of the critiques here are rather puzzling. One common knock is that the film doesn't know if it wants to be funny or serious. That's a pretty ridiculous observation. This film reminded me of the Netflix series "Master of None" It's about as much of a "slice of Life" film that I have seen in sometime. I don't need my comedies to be of the laugh a minute variety, usually films that aim for that usually end up being pretty damn stupid. Give me a heartfelt comedy with soul like "Don't Think Twice" anyday. Expand
SkulbJan 23, 2017
I usually get things but I really don't get Don't Think Twice or why anyone would want to watch it. I honestly don't even know how to watch something like this. It's not actually a movie in any meaningful sense of that word, because it isI usually get things but I really don't get Don't Think Twice or why anyone would want to watch it. I honestly don't even know how to watch something like this. It's not actually a movie in any meaningful sense of that word, because it is either not scripted at all or deliberately made to appear to not have been scripted. Whatever the case is I managed to sit through about 15 minutes of the actors in this dubious variety show of a movie talking over each other about nothing; one more vapid, self absorbed and uninteresting than the other. Not a single interesting word was said in these 15 minutes and not a single compelling event happened to any of the boring people featured. Other than maybe a few hundred improv enthusiasts around the world I can't for the life of me see who would be interested in this movie. I also don't understand why it has gotten so much a single favorable review anywhere. Am I supposed to have been entertained by this?

Not since After Earth have I turned a movie off after 15 minutes. If someone had been around to force me to keep watching I might have thrown a big tantrum. 43 years old and on the verge of a major tantrum, all because of Don't Think Twice. You have been warned... And, in the spirit of full disclosure, I fell asleep from boredom during After Earth and there was no near tantrum experience that I can recall. So I guess not even that compares to this travesty. If the movie develops a point, structure, dialogue, character or anything at all to commend it after this point I apologize. It came too late for me if it manifested itself. If ever there was a pointless, overrated hipster movie, this is it. It's even worse than Birdman.
DAL1960Sep 22, 2016
Mike Birbiglia is interesting cat. He's a stand-up comedian I found him on "This American Life" He's a pretty funny guy. Now he's transitioned into a pretty good film director. I saw his last film "Sleepwalk with Me" and it turned out to beMike Birbiglia is interesting cat. He's a stand-up comedian I found him on "This American Life" He's a pretty funny guy. Now he's transitioned into a pretty good film director. I saw his last film "Sleepwalk with Me" and it turned out to be charming and funny. His new film, "Don't Think Twice" is different from his first, but it's still good.
The plot is rather simple. How does a small improv group deal with the loss of one of its member. "Key and Peele" Keegan-Michael Key leaves the group to find fame on a Saturday Night Live type show.
I really don't want to give too much away. Let me say that Key is good, not like anything he's played on TV or other movies. I thought the real star was Gillian Jacobs. She's plays Key's girlfriend. Her character has a few problems, but mostly they are in head. she's not crazy, just a little unsure of herself.
Birbiglia is good. as the group's leader. To save ttme,I'll just say the rest of the cast is fine.

I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't as funny as I hoped, but it still worked.
smiyamotJan 5, 2017
Good character study of 6 close friends/comics/co-workers. They are the 6 Musketeers till one of them gets the dream job. Then the flaws start to show up. Well done movie if you are in the mood.
DirigiblePulpJul 8, 2017
Everyone struggles making art, trying to make it, thinking about it, etc. Success can be random, can be frustrating, can be different than you think it is.

An enjoyable cast with an insider-y look at improv troupes and the neverending dark cloud that is "moving on" in the form of SNL, or TV and movies. And that same logic as it applies to life. There's a little of everything. It's a nice movie.
LeZeeDec 14, 2016
Just spit it out whatever comes to your mind!

Just spit it out whatever comes to your mind!

From the director of 'Sleepwalk with Me', another similar kind of theme, but this time a little bigger that concerns a group of people. The film was focused on the members of an improv troupe called the Commune. They are not the big shots, but everything was going well with their performances. Soon the Commune begins to fall apart when one of the member decides to try on his luck in a bigger platform. Slows the troupe loses its charm and what is its future was told on the later parts.

I can't say it is overrated, but I did not find it funny or entertaining. The story of the film characters, like how they fall apart and how they try fix it was very interesting. Like it said in the film, the comedies looked funny, but it was not. Honestly, I did not get that improv part. Maybe because that is an American thing, I'm totally not into it, in fact, I came to know it with this film only. For me it is an average film, so I don't know I can suggest it to anybody. But who knows, you might like it better than me.

RalfbergsFeb 19, 2017
As far as I remember the trailer tried to sell this as a comedy, but it actually is more of a drama and most of the jokes there are unfunny. I mean the actual improv I have seen is much more funny, here most of it wasn't really. But if youAs far as I remember the trailer tried to sell this as a comedy, but it actually is more of a drama and most of the jokes there are unfunny. I mean the actual improv I have seen is much more funny, here most of it wasn't really. But if you look past it, the story was good. I do think they should've made it funnier, otherwise there are so many good actors in it, but they don't have many material to work with. Expand
ThomassMay 6, 2017
Great creative movie. I don't think anyone has dealt with this art form in the movies. Very touching story and well carried out. How would you portray someone improvising? They do just an excellent job.
andrewbrownJan 10, 2017
not funny. really hard to watch.

Its like SNL, but less funny then the already not funny SNL.
The improv group is annoying, the story is annoying.

No Likely, Don't Watch. Brain hurts.
bobbymcdFeb 22, 2018
Really took us by surprise. Sweet and funny with a great cast. Mike B wrote and directed and I hope he makes more films like this. He has an eye and ear for character that we could use more of.
mcarr390Jan 16, 2017
This movie is a comedy in the sense that it is a movie about the comedy industry, a 3rd person perspective of that industry, in this case improv. The movie funny people is a good example, it was not so much a comedy as it was a movie about aThis movie is a comedy in the sense that it is a movie about the comedy industry, a 3rd person perspective of that industry, in this case improv. The movie funny people is a good example, it was not so much a comedy as it was a movie about a comedian. Movies like this cant decide which genre they are pursuing so they end up doing a bad job in both areas. The comedy that was involved was not funny and didnt use the extremely talented Keegan-Michael Key to his potential at all. Remember this movie is not really a true comedy, its an attempt at a drama of the events within the comedy industry. Expand
whatithink33May 5, 2017
A good movie. Well paced and the characters are interesting. The plot involves the hopes and fears of a small improv group and how they deal with their changing circumstances. The group is small enough that you get to know the characters,A good movie. Well paced and the characters are interesting. The plot involves the hopes and fears of a small improv group and how they deal with their changing circumstances. The group is small enough that you get to know the characters, but large enough that you get to see some variety. A lot of the improv work isn't especially funny but then neither are the skits on SNL. A thoughtful movie, probably better suited to viewing at home - no need for the wide screen here. Expand
Slovenly_MuseAug 23, 2018
An absurd, sweet, heartbreaking film that beautifully dramatizes the process of making good comedy. It examines the struggle to find value in doing work that you love, if opportunities for advancement may never come, or may have passed you byAn absurd, sweet, heartbreaking film that beautifully dramatizes the process of making good comedy. It examines the struggle to find value in doing work that you love, if opportunities for advancement may never come, or may have passed you by years ago while you weren't looking. Expand