The Film Arcade | Release Date: July 22, 2016
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 82 Ratings
Watch Now
RvwFromUpHereSep 16, 2016
Who: Mike Birbiglia, Ted's girlfriend at the end of Scrubs, Britta, and Hingle McCringleberry as Jack
What: A heartfelt comedy with improv comics
What: A heartfelt comedy with improv comics
Where: The poor part of New York City where dreams go to die, and people move to to follow their dreams.
When (Can I watch again): For every 3 times you watch Sleepwalk with Me, you can watch this movie again.
Why: If you're a fan of Mike Birbiglia's standup, or just independent comedies in general, this movie will be a delight.
moothemagiccowDec 13, 2016
This movie is incredibly hard to watch because the comedy troupe is incredibly annoying. They spend every minute together trying to be funny, on and off stage, and it just does not work. You suffer through a series of awful in-jokes andThis movie is incredibly hard to watch because the comedy troupe is incredibly annoying. They spend every minute together trying to be funny, on and off stage, and it just does not work. You suffer through a series of awful in-jokes and bizarre habits, and that's before you have to watch people pretend to do improv comedy.
The story itself is actually fairly good. Once you can get past how irritating four people trying to get on TV are, there's a good lesson about the perils of obsessing over "making it."
moviemitch96Aug 20, 2016
This film got rave reviews (99% on RT) and after seeing it, I can't understand for the life of me why. I found it to be nothing more than an inept and indecisive dramedy that couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be funny or serious.This film got rave reviews (99% on RT) and after seeing it, I can't understand for the life of me why. I found it to be nothing more than an inept and indecisive dramedy that couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be funny or serious. Yes, the whole "dramedy" thing has worked in the past for several other films, but this one just couldn't seem to find a good balance for it. In addition, with the exception of Keegan-Michael Key, the whole cast just looked bored and confused the whole film and it seemed like they had no idea what they were doing and their improv skills were amateurish at best. Admittedly, it did have its sweet and fun moments, but they weren't near enough to make up for the rest of the film's awkwardness and I only recall getting only one genuine laugh out of the whole film. Overall, I'm still quite baffled and trying to wrap my head around this film's unanimous critical hype. There's no way I saw the same film as the critics. Expand
BananafishAug 6, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Usually reviewers come online to rant or rave, and I wish to do neither as I felt it was truly just "OK". However, I must ask -w here are these stellar reviews coming from? Did they see a different movie? This was the Citizen Kane of dramady about improv comedians?

Look, I like Brigbiglia and Glass a lot (have been fans for a long time) and love improve comedy and really wanted to like this movie more than I did. With the exception of his character, the rest of the characters are totally two-dimensional. The still lives-at-home pothead. The emo doodle girl (the only thing missing was a heart on her sleve.) The detached "trouble as a child" girl who now has overly-expressed "issues". The hummus guy was a believable character but just very boring and melodramatic. Some of the dialogue these two-dimensional characters was ok, a little was clever, but most seemed totally contrived.

This is another "dramady", a la Silver-linings Playbook or August in Osage County that attempts to play to both important genres, truly doing neither successfully. This movie does not captivate emotionally as a drama; we never really care about the characters and the plot elements are totally grade school and predictable. That's ok, if it was just meant as a comedy to provide some laughs, but despite a full auditorium, I heard only a few polite chuckles. Common, you have all seen great comedy. This was not really funny - not even by a long shot.

More than anything I'm frustrated, because I really, really wanted to like this movie and want a wonderful Improv comedy movie to come out. Is this what we've come to, when a movie has a quasi-intellectual dilemna about one member of a troup "making it" and others not, that gets 90's and 100's from all the critics? Someone publish a scholarly journal on this one.

To use a line from the movie, when someone is asked why they had a bad day and they complain "I got back earlyyy from Europe". The actors can't help but mock that person as being somewhat petty, self-indulgent and also really just who cares because that's not really something worth dwelling on. Well, the entire movie is like that line. I just had to point that out, because apparently everyone else saw Citizen Kane.
TVJerryAug 20, 2016
Comic Mike Birbiglia stars in, wrote & directed this dissection of an improv troupe that finds their friendships tested when one of them gets a job on a SNL type show. This excellent ensemble captures a warm camaraderie that's all the moreComic Mike Birbiglia stars in, wrote & directed this dissection of an improv troupe that finds their friendships tested when one of them gets a job on a SNL type show. This excellent ensemble captures a warm camaraderie that's all the more poignant when conflicts arise. Yep, there are some funny moments, but this film wallows in awkward encounters and unhappy, unstable egos. As a result, there's much more drama than comedy. Still, it's an enjoyable indie for anyone who enjoys the world of improvised theatre. Expand
LeZeeDec 14, 2016
Just spit it out whatever comes to your mind!

Just spit it out whatever comes to your mind!

From the director of 'Sleepwalk with Me', another similar kind of theme, but this time a little bigger that concerns a group of people. The film was focused on the members of an improv troupe called the Commune. They are not the big shots, but everything was going well with their performances. Soon the Commune begins to fall apart when one of the member decides to try on his luck in a bigger platform. Slows the troupe loses its charm and what is its future was told on the later parts.

I can't say it is overrated, but I did not find it funny or entertaining. The story of the film characters, like how they fall apart and how they try fix it was very interesting. Like it said in the film, the comedies looked funny, but it was not. Honestly, I did not get that improv part. Maybe because that is an American thing, I'm totally not into it, in fact, I came to know it with this film only. For me it is an average film, so I don't know I can suggest it to anybody. But who knows, you might like it better than me.

RalfbergsFeb 19, 2017
As far as I remember the trailer tried to sell this as a comedy, but it actually is more of a drama and most of the jokes there are unfunny. I mean the actual improv I have seen is much more funny, here most of it wasn't really. But if youAs far as I remember the trailer tried to sell this as a comedy, but it actually is more of a drama and most of the jokes there are unfunny. I mean the actual improv I have seen is much more funny, here most of it wasn't really. But if you look past it, the story was good. I do think they should've made it funnier, otherwise there are so many good actors in it, but they don't have many material to work with. Expand
andrewbrownJan 10, 2017
not funny. really hard to watch.

Its like SNL, but less funny then the already not funny SNL.
The improv group is annoying, the story is annoying.

No Likely, Don't Watch. Brain hurts.