The Film Arcade | Release Date: July 22, 2016
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 82 Ratings
Watch Now
Brent_MarchantJul 30, 2016
A lively, funny, irreverent look at the world of improv comedy and the struggle for that proverbial big break. From start to finish, the film feels genuine in its storyline, its humor, and its attempts to convey the hopes, dreams andA lively, funny, irreverent look at the world of improv comedy and the struggle for that proverbial big break. From start to finish, the film feels genuine in its storyline, its humor, and its attempts to convey the hopes, dreams and frustrations of making it big while remaining true to oneself and one's peers. A sure-fire winner in virtually every regard. Expand
BrianMcCriticJan 1, 2017
Wow this film really surprised me. You really feel these people's struggles, but you understand their desire to continue as this is their singular focus in life. This film is the most grounded film of the year in my opinion and I really enjoyed it. A
skeptic303Sep 20, 2016
Don't Think Twice is one of the most under-watched movies of 2016. Its story about a group of people involved with improvisational comedy is excellent. The people in this group watch as a member of their group makes it to a hit TV comedyDon't Think Twice is one of the most under-watched movies of 2016. Its story about a group of people involved with improvisational comedy is excellent. The people in this group watch as a member of their group makes it to a hit TV comedy show, and they realize that despite their wishes, they maybe won't make it after all. Everything here was done well: characters, story, conflict, plot. Additionally, Don't Think Twice is another excellent example of comedy done right, and in case people are unfamiliar with improvisational comedy, the movie explains what it is. Though it approaches its themes with a light touch, it doesn't resort to steering clear from its conflict. This is a short, flawless movie, and it isn't just the best comedy of the year. This is one of the best movies of the year, and I'll proudly award it my seal of approval. Expand
podaddySep 7, 2016
Funny and heartfelt film. Some of the critiques here are rather puzzling. One common knock is that the film doesn't know if it wants to be funny or serious. That's a pretty ridiculous observation. This film reminded me of the Netflix seriesFunny and heartfelt film. Some of the critiques here are rather puzzling. One common knock is that the film doesn't know if it wants to be funny or serious. That's a pretty ridiculous observation. This film reminded me of the Netflix series "Master of None" It's about as much of a "slice of Life" film that I have seen in sometime. I don't need my comedies to be of the laugh a minute variety, usually films that aim for that usually end up being pretty damn stupid. Give me a heartfelt comedy with soul like "Don't Think Twice" anyday. Expand
DAL1960Sep 22, 2016
Mike Birbiglia is interesting cat. He's a stand-up comedian I found him on "This American Life" He's a pretty funny guy. Now he's transitioned into a pretty good film director. I saw his last film "Sleepwalk with Me" and it turned out to beMike Birbiglia is interesting cat. He's a stand-up comedian I found him on "This American Life" He's a pretty funny guy. Now he's transitioned into a pretty good film director. I saw his last film "Sleepwalk with Me" and it turned out to be charming and funny. His new film, "Don't Think Twice" is different from his first, but it's still good.
The plot is rather simple. How does a small improv group deal with the loss of one of its member. "Key and Peele" Keegan-Michael Key leaves the group to find fame on a Saturday Night Live type show.
I really don't want to give too much away. Let me say that Key is good, not like anything he's played on TV or other movies. I thought the real star was Gillian Jacobs. She's plays Key's girlfriend. Her character has a few problems, but mostly they are in head. she's not crazy, just a little unsure of herself.
Birbiglia is good. as the group's leader. To save ttme,I'll just say the rest of the cast is fine.

I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't as funny as I hoped, but it still worked.
smiyamotJan 5, 2017
Good character study of 6 close friends/comics/co-workers. They are the 6 Musketeers till one of them gets the dream job. Then the flaws start to show up. Well done movie if you are in the mood.
DirigiblePulpJul 8, 2017
Everyone struggles making art, trying to make it, thinking about it, etc. Success can be random, can be frustrating, can be different than you think it is.

An enjoyable cast with an insider-y look at improv troupes and the neverending dark cloud that is "moving on" in the form of SNL, or TV and movies. And that same logic as it applies to life. There's a little of everything. It's a nice movie.
ThomassMay 6, 2017
Great creative movie. I don't think anyone has dealt with this art form in the movies. Very touching story and well carried out. How would you portray someone improvising? They do just an excellent job.
bobbymcdFeb 22, 2018
Really took us by surprise. Sweet and funny with a great cast. Mike B wrote and directed and I hope he makes more films like this. He has an eye and ear for character that we could use more of.
whatithink33May 5, 2017
A good movie. Well paced and the characters are interesting. The plot involves the hopes and fears of a small improv group and how they deal with their changing circumstances. The group is small enough that you get to know the characters,A good movie. Well paced and the characters are interesting. The plot involves the hopes and fears of a small improv group and how they deal with their changing circumstances. The group is small enough that you get to know the characters, but large enough that you get to see some variety. A lot of the improv work isn't especially funny but then neither are the skits on SNL. A thoughtful movie, probably better suited to viewing at home - no need for the wide screen here. Expand
Slovenly_MuseAug 23, 2018
An absurd, sweet, heartbreaking film that beautifully dramatizes the process of making good comedy. It examines the struggle to find value in doing work that you love, if opportunities for advancement may never come, or may have passed you byAn absurd, sweet, heartbreaking film that beautifully dramatizes the process of making good comedy. It examines the struggle to find value in doing work that you love, if opportunities for advancement may never come, or may have passed you by years ago while you weren't looking. Expand