Lionsgate | Release Date: September 21, 2012
Universal acclaim based on 1188 Ratings
1,077
Watch Now
mugslangleySep 21, 2012
Fantastic film! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby (must admit, never heard of her before) work really well together! Had the perfect mix of action and story/ character building. And the 3D was nicely done too. Didn't find it distracting at allFantastic film! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby (must admit, never heard of her before) work really well together! Had the perfect mix of action and story/ character building. And the 3D was nicely done too. Didn't find it distracting at all and was used in just the right places.

Bit weird seeing Lena Headey as a gritty character though, as used to her being the pretty one in film/ TV.
JohnnyCSep 21, 2012
No need to dread this Dredd. Karl Urban nails the title character, and staying true to the comic book, that helmet never comes off. The audience is introduced to Dredd's world through the eyes of Dredd's rookie partner Anderson, beautifullyNo need to dread this Dredd. Karl Urban nails the title character, and staying true to the comic book, that helmet never comes off. The audience is introduced to Dredd's world through the eyes of Dredd's rookie partner Anderson, beautifully played by Olivia Thirlby. The movie starts off with a bang, and doesn't let up. Stylish and violent, this is one of the better comic adaptations this year. Expand
GreenmemberSep 21, 2012
One of my personal favorite movies of the year, Dredd delivers in every way. The story is pushed by Dredd's commitment to law and the rookie, he's a gruff badass that shines throughout. Karl Urban nailed the character, you can always tellOne of my personal favorite movies of the year, Dredd delivers in every way. The story is pushed by Dredd's commitment to law and the rookie, he's a gruff badass that shines throughout. Karl Urban nailed the character, you can always tell there's something deeper with him, but he pushes the story with bloody and relentless violence. The cast is superb, I love the film quality, and there isn't one slow moment the entire film. It's some of the best action I've ever seen and a very hard R rating, but if you don't mind that, jaw dropping and absolutely brutal violence, with a smart and simple plot that flows on its own, you'll love Dredd. Expand
PhilTTSep 22, 2012
Metacritic, I have to say, is a terrible review site for movies and games. The only part of this site I trust is the overal score given by users.

Besides from constantly choosing critics who give truly crap games great scores, it is terribily flawed when it comes to movie reviews, Dredd, which was made in South Africa, is a an example of this. Just prior to release in the United States, metacritic had 6 (6!) reviews of Dredd while rottentomatoes.com had more than 50 with a 90% approval rating. WTF? Why so behind in the sample base and those reviews on tr STILL haven't been included after its US release!

Now, since it's release in the US, many American reviewers haven't the first clue what Dredd is about, the comic book history or that it is a satire on the political climate in both the UK and the US and the consumer-obsessed and often violent culture of the US, particularly in the 70s through 90s. This movie is an absolute hit in the United Kingdom and Canada. Yet, many American reviewers don't get the satire (see above) or they feel offended about Dredd's premise being set in a futuristic US - and its bleak outlook of the society and culture - and the movie's message about violence and US society. Either way, metacritic sucks balls and many American reviewers are thin-skinned, ignorant nationalists who buy into any soppy jingoistic American-made fluff pieces to get them through their pre-packaged, cotton-balled little worlds. My two cents.
keefbakerSep 22, 2012
The critics giving this a bad review either decided they weren't paid enough to give it a good one or have an allergy to extreme badassery. This is the most accurate portrayal of Judge Dredd we could have hoped for. And as for "no humour".The critics giving this a bad review either decided they weren't paid enough to give it a good one or have an allergy to extreme badassery. This is the most accurate portrayal of Judge Dredd we could have hoped for. And as for "no humour". There humour but it requires a strong stomach. Much like... you know... the comic did. Expand
MegWhiteleySep 21, 2012
Dredd, the final movie that be based on a comic book of this year, and what happen? The movie is awesome, have a great story with a really good development, the performances, the effects, all is incredible in this movie.
ozymandias79Mar 7, 2014
Man, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke.Man, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-ray sales will get it over the line. Expand
JonnieZJul 2, 2014
A nice simple action movie. Very stylish,easy to follow story,good effects. It does however have incredibly over the top violence so not one for the faint of heart.
robij70Dec 31, 2012
My expectations were low but this was a largely succesful attempt at capturing the spirit and tone of the original comic with Karl Urban proving to be the perfect Dredd, giving his performance the requisite amount of cynicism with theMy expectations were low but this was a largely succesful attempt at capturing the spirit and tone of the original comic with Karl Urban proving to be the perfect Dredd, giving his performance the requisite amount of cynicism with the occasional glimpse of humanity. Not usually a fan of action movies but i was gripped by this...the stylish cinematography especially evident during the slo-mo scenes that that have a dream-like quality and really suck you in. Dark, unsentimental, with no attempt to pander to Hollywood tastes, i just hope there's a sequel despite the relatively disappointing box office showing. Expand
Duncan95Apr 9, 2013
Finally everyone's favourite scowling future lawman gets the movie he deserves. Karl Urban and his impressive chin give an awesome introduction to the character. The decision to make the movie an 18 was also awesome despite the reduction ofFinally everyone's favourite scowling future lawman gets the movie he deserves. Karl Urban and his impressive chin give an awesome introduction to the character. The decision to make the movie an 18 was also awesome despite the reduction of market it resulted in, it allowed the brutality of Dredd and his world to be properly portrayed. And on top of all of this it looked amazing! I just wish more than about 4 people went to go and see it Expand
Guesswork00May 5, 2013
I was shocked to see how low rated this movie was. It is one of my favorite films of all time. Well directed, well written, well acted, with good chemistry between the leads, and a scary villain. This is an excellent film all around, aI was shocked to see how low rated this movie was. It is one of my favorite films of all time. Well directed, well written, well acted, with good chemistry between the leads, and a scary villain. This is an excellent film all around, a good war story, and it rings true throughout. Highly recommended. Expand
Kevinxavier08Jul 7, 2013
Full of thrills. Powered by a bombastic bloody violence and non stop action. Dredd maybe is the best R-rated crime action film off all time and definitely action film's fans' dream come true.
MaxNormalAug 30, 2013
Great film; it doesn't mess about. The plot is simple but well told and the production is really tight. In particular I loved the music score, I might actually buy the audio CD which I've never done for a film before. I saw Dredd in 3D and itGreat film; it doesn't mess about. The plot is simple but well told and the production is really tight. In particular I loved the music score, I might actually buy the audio CD which I've never done for a film before. I saw Dredd in 3D and it worked really well.

I doubt a sequel will happen but it would be amazing to see more of MegaCity1.
boncuk560Oct 5, 2012
Suprisingly good movie. Good storyline and decent acting. Go see it if you ever read Judge Dredd or if you enjoy action sci-fy flicks. I especially liked the fact that it was believeable. The designer drug was very smartly done.
Curtis2011Jun 14, 2013
This was a great movie. Anyone who likes action movies should love this. It has some of the same feel as the original Die Hard did. This is basically everything that a Judge Dredd movie should be.

If you like action movies, you owe it to

If you like action movies, you owe it to yourself to at least see this one once. I already consider it an instant classic and I definitely see it as something that will get a cult following as more people find out about it.
ThegodfathersonFeb 17, 2013
Dredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to getDredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wicked performances, Dredd 3D is the movie of the year! 10/10 MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST WATCH...... Expand
BatfanDec 7, 2013
Dredd is action packed. It is full of gore. It kept me on the edge of my seat. This is non stop action. Disturbing at times but that just adds to the dark and sinister tone of the movie. Dredd is the best movie of 2012.
RandomRussianAug 25, 2013
Somehow lots of really great and original action films get underrated, and this one is not the exception. You see, if it would had been directed by Cameron or Nolan, it would have been praised by critics.
Jebu911Sep 18, 2014
Chemistry between Dredd and rookie is great to see on screen and acting is great in general. I like how this movie is action packed and heavy use of conventional effects are great for me! Kinda reminds me of old days of action movies withChemistry between Dredd and rookie is great to see on screen and acting is great in general. I like how this movie is action packed and heavy use of conventional effects are great for me! Kinda reminds me of old days of action movies with arnold and stallone tho Karl Urban was actually believable in his role. I justify giving this movie 10 because of the genre it represents that has almost died off in the reasent years. The plot is simple maybe too simple for some people but the movie is not about that its about the rookies and dredds onscreen chemistry and great action scenes. Truly amazing movie that sadly didnt do too well at the box office probably bacause of the bad advertising Expand
EMGFeb 25, 2014
This film was the Dredd film fans were waiting for, a faithful adaptation of the Dredd world portrayed within the comics. The pacing, acting, effects and music were all spot on when creating the right atmosphere for this film to work not toThis film was the Dredd film fans were waiting for, a faithful adaptation of the Dredd world portrayed within the comics. The pacing, acting, effects and music were all spot on when creating the right atmosphere for this film to work not to mention Urban as Dredd was fantastic. 10/10 from a Dredd fan. 10/10 for not removing his helmet this time! Expand
EramerisNov 18, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. I was expecting a remake of the light hearted and silly Judge Dredd movie from 1995 but Dredd is nothing like that. It's a well made action/sci-fi film with an excellent cast, creative use ofI was pleasantly surprised with this movie. I was expecting a remake of the light hearted and silly Judge Dredd movie from 1995 but Dredd is nothing like that. It's a well made action/sci-fi film with an excellent cast, creative use of special effects and a more serious approach to the story without making it boring or cheesy. It's a great action movie, an instant fav for me. Expand
deathmachineptMay 29, 2016
So fresh, so gory, so badass, top notch aesthetics and visuals, good one liners, the story progression and breathing space between the action is spot on, story is simple but the is told is incredible satisfying and leaves much for the thoughtSo fresh, so gory, so badass, top notch aesthetics and visuals, good one liners, the story progression and breathing space between the action is spot on, story is simple but the is told is incredible satisfying and leaves much for the thought a sort of madmax fury road.

There might big some missteps but these are too minor and correcting them might hurt other good aspects.. It's a perfect 10 for me I want to see a sequel!
rich_plMay 2, 2015
A Visceral and brilliant screen exploration of a dark and threatening character. I loved this movie and still enjoy watching it time after time. The music is fantastic, the characters believable and the pacing of the story gripping to the end.
ConsumerBatmanNov 26, 2017
Simply put: I think this is the best comic book movie I have ever seen.

As the credits rolled, I was left with a weird feeling inside: complete and total satisfaction, and not a single complaint. With a remarkably light budget, this film
Simply put: I think this is the best comic book movie I have ever seen.

With a remarkably light budget, this film perfectly tells a story in the world of Dredd. It doesn't over-exaggerate the stakes: a drug lord is endangering the lives of ~10,000 people. She's breaking the law. So she cannot be allowed to continue.

Dredd, gruff and unfeeling, shows up to dispense law and order, which just happens to coincide with justice. His helmet doesn't come off. There is no two-dimensional romance with Judge Anderson. There is a relationship and a mutual respect, but it stays PERFECTLY respectful to the source material.

When all is said and done, with hundreds of criminals in this vast urban cityscape dead, and Dredd is asked by his commanding officer what happened, Urban perfectly captures everything Judge Dredd is with two simple, blunt, un-pretentious words: "drug bust".

Just another day in the life of Dredd. God bless everyone involved in the making of this film, and here's hoping they scrounge up enough for the sequels.
IOMDutchJul 6, 2013
Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

Dredd is that primaeval part of the human condition that only knows how to step up... and blow a big freakin' hole in the problem. The story, on the
Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so stripped down compared to todays CGI laden, $200mil blockbusters it caught me off guard. Films like this don't really get made anymore. The filmakers have taken what they had to work with and have done no more or less than they should. I would challenge anyone to pause the film anytime and not appreciate that any frame of this film could have been pulled from the pages of a 2000AD prog, such is the calibre of the cinematography. Dredd is a near perfect example of solid SFX together with great story telling without the painful spoon-feeding that happens far to often in modern cinema. It's an education in good film-making.

The character of Judge Dredd is refreshingly straightforward. The slight hint of a backstory presented to the audience when the character of Anderson is introduced is quite simply genius.

In todays society, people too often look for extra recognition for their endeavours. The 'Look at me, look at me' syndrome. Dredd, however, after overcoming a brilliantly deadly situation; his report to the Chief Judge is simple: "Drug bust...Perps were, uncooperative" A good lesson in the lost art of understatement.

!!!The Man in the Mask!!! Even Peter Weller got a good chunk of full face time in Robocop but with Dredd the studios needed an actor who was prepared to (quite rightly) cover the majority of their face for 100% of the film. Step up Karl Urban. The man was born to play this role. Dredd is not a muscle bound superhuman, just a bad ass with a badge. No voice, dialogue or down turned mouth has been so effective since Clint Eastwoods' 'Man with no name' from the Sergio Leone trilogy.

A sequel would be a lovely thought (Please bring back the same main actors) but with box office takings poor the chances are slim. Who knows though? This film stands up on it's own and a bigger budget sequel might be a poison chalice to what is a truly remarkable accomplishment.

DREDD is AWESOME
shadow47Dec 6, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable action film. Karl Urban is fantastic as Dredd...perfectly cast. The supporting cast is also excellent; I especially enjoyed Lena Headey's performance as the Villainous Ma-Ma. Hope there is a sequel to this eventually.
Jes1310Nov 17, 2015
The first Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone was just plain awful. I loved the extreme (in both comedy and violence) comic way back. I watched the new Dredd last night and did´nt have any expectations what so ever. I was just great fun.The first Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone was just plain awful. I loved the extreme (in both comedy and violence) comic way back. I watched the new Dredd last night and did´nt have any expectations what so ever. I was just great fun. simple but clever story, great effects and Karl Urban does a brilliant job as Dredd. Highly recommendable. Expand
AnnatarYoungDec 2, 2015
Easily one of the greatest comic book films ever made, especially considering this film's meager budget. It was dark, it was gritty, it was complex enough to keep you interested but focused enough to not throw you off and get too distractedEasily one of the greatest comic book films ever made, especially considering this film's meager budget. It was dark, it was gritty, it was complex enough to keep you interested but focused enough to not throw you off and get too distracted with itself.

It was a very wise move on the part of Director Pete Travis to focus the attention of this film in one location rather than across the entirety of Megacity 1.

Mama (Lena Headey) felt so true to the spirit of Judge Dredd as a gang-leader in the 2000AD universe that I could've sworn she was taken directly from the comic books.

Karl Urban made a fantastic Judge Dredd, with a straight, autonomous, and unemotional by-the-book keeper of the law which, again, felt so faithful to the original comics.

The shooting of the 'slow-mo' scenes were again so fantastically done and so entrancingly beautiful and cinematic that they really did paint the picture of the effects of this drug in this world.

All in all, I would HIGHLY recommend this immensely underrated film to fans of the 2000AD comics, as well as fans of sci-fi action and comic book films in general.
nicktgriffinSep 30, 2012
Simply the best sci-fi/action movie we´ve had in over a decade! The design of mega-city one is spectacular, detailed down to the smallest pieces. I am really hoping the generic advertising, and low box-office don´t kill theSimply the best sci-fi/action movie we´ve had in over a decade! The design of mega-city one is spectacular, detailed down to the smallest pieces. I am really hoping the generic advertising, and low box-office don´t kill the chances for a sequel. Expand
RickboyOct 4, 2012
I absolutly loved this movie. Reminds me of the 80's action movies I used to love, robocop, terminator, predator, diehard. You cannot go wrong with seeing this movie. I took my girl friend to see it and she even liked it. Dredd is not aI absolutly loved this movie. Reminds me of the 80's action movies I used to love, robocop, terminator, predator, diehard. You cannot go wrong with seeing this movie. I took my girl friend to see it and she even liked it. Dredd is not a familiar comic book character in America, but honestly its one of my favorite comicbook to movie adaptions alongside the likes of Avengers and Batman. It has humour but its pretty dark, lots of violence and blood. Karl Urban nailed the character and the writing was very true to the comic book. It respected the characters and story. Dredd in the comics never ever took of his helmet and if he did, you dont see his face. This is actually very important to the Dredd character and the fact that Karl Urban never takes of his helmet in the movie gives the character more depth. Even the actress who played Judge Anderson was good for the role. The pacing was awsome, keeping my attention the whole time. I loved this movie and its sad it didnt do too well at the box office simply because its not based on a Marvel or DC supehero. I would love a sequel to be made. Im dying for the blu-Ray to come out. And this review is coming from someone who isnt familiar with the character. I never really followed the comics. But the movie in itself is good enough to make me a fan of the character. And its a movie Id proudly have alongside my avengers and Dark knight Blu-Ray collection. Expand
mario_chan15Oct 13, 2012
The movie was very faithful to the comics. The producers managed to make a movie terse, claustrophobic and balanced action level furthermore, intelligently, Anderson did assume to be the link between the film and the audience. The 3D isThe movie was very faithful to the comics. The producers managed to make a movie terse, claustrophobic and balanced action level furthermore, intelligently, Anderson did assume to be the link between the film and the audience. The 3D is perfect. It is mandatory for the fans.
Still on the story - it does not pretend to be a blockbuster, but that was precisely why it was good - just a day's work, a mission of Dredd ... but still, as in the comics, the story takes place 120 years from now, but there are many similarities to what we find today, chaotic cities, rising crime, corruption and even the issue of slums was addressed - with the difference that the Mega City One of slums grow vertically, now spread across our hills.
Urban as Dredd was perfect, and Ma-Ma had an incredible performance. We know that the universe is immense judges, I hope there is a sequel soon.
This is the movie, if you're looking for a faithful adaptation of the comic book, or a movie that runs only slightly super-human standards that the industry has been taking great.
glypheyeSep 2, 2013
Violent and gorgeous. A pure, euphoric art-action movie. Someone made a comparison to Drive....and I thought Dredd was better than Drive. Far less pretentious. This movie isn't for everyone, obviously. If you are a gun-control spoutingViolent and gorgeous. A pure, euphoric art-action movie. Someone made a comparison to Drive....and I thought Dredd was better than Drive. Far less pretentious. This movie isn't for everyone, obviously. If you are a gun-control spouting hippy...or a bearded, chin-scratching, professorial sociologist...or anyone else who carries sentiments along these lines...i.e. if you are a Nancy, then you will not like this film. It was not made for you, so don't bother seeing it...or reviewing it. For the rest of us who can appreciate this genre without succumbing to the desire to become violent ourselves....bon appetite! Expand
LekriNov 18, 2012
Easily one of the best movies this year. Skyfall bored me to dead, I never dreamed for such a movie based on a comic. Even my girlfriend found it good, hearing that from her is like unimagined if you think about how much blood is in thisEasily one of the best movies this year. Skyfall bored me to dead, I never dreamed for such a movie based on a comic. Even my girlfriend found it good, hearing that from her is like unimagined if you think about how much blood is in this movie.
Highly recommend it !

P.S. I really do not understand why such low score from so called "critics". Maybe they mistook it for the old move Judge Dredd with Sly....
Gee2kNov 20, 2012
A good genre Movie and the first Movie after Avatar which has enjoyable 3D. Its like "The Raid" but with more different content. Really nice Scenes & Pictures and a good cyfy soundtrack. Sometimes to much gore but overall a good movie whoA good genre Movie and the first Movie after Avatar which has enjoyable 3D. Its like "The Raid" but with more different content. Really nice Scenes & Pictures and a good cyfy soundtrack. Sometimes to much gore but overall a good movie who dares something compared to others these days. Expand
JonnAveryJan 17, 2013
Wow what a great movie...and this was unexpected after i saw Stallone's Dredd. Urban absolutely nailed how Dredd is portrayed in the comics..He never takes his helmet off..and he's a complete hard ass. Even if your not a Dredd fan or neverWow what a great movie...and this was unexpected after i saw Stallone's Dredd. Urban absolutely nailed how Dredd is portrayed in the comics..He never takes his helmet off..and he's a complete hard ass. Even if your not a Dredd fan or never have read the comics, go see this movie! One of the best action flicks ive seen in a while! My only regret was not going to the theaters and watching it Expand
WednesdaeMar 20, 2013
Solid, very solid.

Solid, very solid.

I come into action films like these expecting to enjoy most of the 'show', but often find there are a few scenes where it feels counter intuitive (characters doing stupid things or not making obvious choices) or lines of dialogue that just don't fit and can irk you out of the immersion. You want to root for the main character until they do something dumb, right? Dredd didn't do this for me and that's a victory unto itself. The production was excellent, everything looked and felt right, nuff said. I think 3D is rubbish, but I'm sure for those that like it the SLO-MO scenes will dazzle them and only add to the experience.

I like a few would have liked a little more expansion on the main characters, but considering the very mysterious vibe around the two leads I think it probably would have detracted from the films atmosphere/direction. But, I think they've lined up a strong union between the main characters that would really lend to expanding on their backgrounds/working relationship for a future sequel.

I'm not really comfortable commenting on the comic to film adaptation element as it's been over a decade since I've read any of the 2000AD comics. But, I think any fan with reasonable expectations (Knows how the film industry works/sucks) will be happily surprised.

Bring on a sequel!
rocksteadyeddieApr 6, 2013
If like me you are old enough to remember the old 2000AD comics that gave birth to Judge Dredd then you'll absolutely love this film.
I think the only problem for this film is Stallone's very poor effort though I understand it has some weirdly cullt status was nothing about the Dredd charater. This film does get Dredd spot on. Dredd is not a super hero he is just a man with an extrodinary attitude and it's his conflited morality
ShaxFeb 24, 2015
This was easily one of my favorite movies for 2012. I'm very familar with the Judge Dredd comic book and character. This movie nails the spirit of the character perfectly. Karl Urban's performance was excellent and I love how we never see himThis was easily one of my favorite movies for 2012. I'm very familar with the Judge Dredd comic book and character. This movie nails the spirit of the character perfectly. Karl Urban's performance was excellent and I love how we never see him fully without the helmet, just like in the comics.

The story is really intense and I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire film. The 3D special effects are well done and impressive. I just can't say enough good things about this movie. It's easily one of the best and most accurate of all the comic book hero films.
HJRodrigoDec 20, 2015
Surprisingly good adaptation of Judge Dredd. Skip the 1995 film and give this one a watch, if you are a fan of the comic. I would recommend this movie to anyone that likes action movies with slick visuals.
cidgrad01Oct 10, 2013
This was, hands-down, one of the best action flicks I’ve seen in years. I was going to avoid it simply because the ‘90s version with Stallone was so awful, but a friend clued me in and I’m glad I listened to them. The new Dredd is excellentThis was, hands-down, one of the best action flicks I’ve seen in years. I was going to avoid it simply because the ‘90s version with Stallone was so awful, but a friend clued me in and I’m glad I listened to them. The new Dredd is excellent and not comparable at all to the old one.

The only knock against it is that it feels more like a pilot series episode than a proper movie. Not because it’s bad, but because it only explores a very small slice of the world of Judge Dredd and leaves you wanting more. It would be great if a network like Showtime or HBO picked this up for a regular series or if there will at least be a sequel made.
itkirkAug 31, 2013
This movie is fantastic and don't understand all the hate it gets from reviewers. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked it because all the bad rap the first "judge Dredd" got, even though I haven't seen it. The story is actuallyThis movie is fantastic and don't understand all the hate it gets from reviewers. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked it because all the bad rap the first "judge Dredd" got, even though I haven't seen it. The story is actually very simple, which is a good thing in this case, and is not convoluted at all. It has one location in the story, again which is a good thing. I thought Karl Urban was great as Dredd and seemed to play a seasoned badass that showed his skills well. Some people think it's hard to cramn a multilayered story into an hour and a half, or even 2 hour, movie. This took a single layered story and spread it out to an hour and a half but filled it with entertainment with hardly a dull moment. Again this is a great film that should not be missed by action movie fans or fans of the comic. Expand
himeegJan 28, 2014
Dredd is the type of film which should be widely publicized and enjoyed by comic fans, action fans, and sci-fi fans, but gets overshadowed by inferior films such as Thor and Captain America and Man of Steel. It is way better by far than mostDredd is the type of film which should be widely publicized and enjoyed by comic fans, action fans, and sci-fi fans, but gets overshadowed by inferior films such as Thor and Captain America and Man of Steel. It is way better by far than most of the big name super hero films - the story is tighter, the action is tougher - it is just plain good. Expand
oDjentoJan 1, 2015
Critics totally got it wrong for Dredd. With Stallone's awful portrayal of Judge Dredd before, there was reason to be worried about another Dredd film. Luckily, it turned out one of the best action films of the year. Brutally violent in theCritics totally got it wrong for Dredd. With Stallone's awful portrayal of Judge Dredd before, there was reason to be worried about another Dredd film. Luckily, it turned out one of the best action films of the year. Brutally violent in the best ways possible, with awesome action pumping all the way through the film. The slo-mo drugs adds an ace colourful effect to scenes. Karl Urban nails his role as Dredd with helmet staying on all through the film, being dry and using deadpan humour excellently. Such an underrated movie. So easy to watch with friends over and over again. Dredd 2 pleaaaaeesee soon! Expand
Meth-dudeMar 26, 2017
This is what a Judge Dredd movie should be like. Great acting, beautiful cinematography, visually stunning action scenes and gritty violence. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
FatalityHDApr 26, 2014
This movie is amazing, I thought the reviews were underrated for this movie. Everything about this is epic and exhilarating and you'll want to stay till the very end but I would not recommend this movie to kids because of the violence, badThis movie is amazing, I thought the reviews were underrated for this movie. Everything about this is epic and exhilarating and you'll want to stay till the very end but I would not recommend this movie to kids because of the violence, bad words, drug references and rape references. Expand
MurdocdelreyDec 25, 2014
After two and half years I finally saw Dredd the other night and I was right to want to see it, Karl Urban is a complete badass as Judge Dredd and Olivia Thirlby is just great as Anderson. The action is a true example of how action scenesAfter two and half years I finally saw Dredd the other night and I was right to want to see it, Karl Urban is a complete badass as Judge Dredd and Olivia Thirlby is just great as Anderson. The action is a true example of how action scenes should be done, brilliantly choreographed and when slow motion shots occur, they are breathtaking, things like blood hitting a wall look stunning at a tiny fraction of it's normal speed and glass flying look like diamonds. I can't say enough how happy I am after seeing this movie and it is probably one of the last good r rated movies that isn't dumbed down for kids to see which makes me disappointed in the industry now. Hopes of a sequel are all but impossible but if there ever is, I will be the first in line for the this art movie. Expand
jacob4May 28, 2018
An absolute pulse pounding thrill ride in all it's bloody glorious violence! Dredd constantly delivers on the non-stop action packed scenes delivered in brutal graphic fight scenes. The hero and villain both compliment each other and theAn absolute pulse pounding thrill ride in all it's bloody glorious violence! Dredd constantly delivers on the non-stop action packed scenes delivered in brutal graphic fight scenes. The hero and villain both compliment each other and the setting is just right for a high stakes shoot out like no other. It's not your conventional superhero movie, but that just makes it better. First time viewers can skip over the probably forgotten original, and get a better imagining in this one. The Law don't need no restriction limits! Expand
amontilladoOct 9, 2015
Forget the Stallone adaptation; forget that this is actually an adaptation of a comic book; if you're in for badassery and want a film enjoyable both for group or self, this fits the bill.

It's efficient in the story telling and character

It's efficient in the story telling and character development, not go overthetop or dwelling in elements, but understanding just how much it needs to give so that we the audience care about the characters and the plot. Hypnotic imagery shows up, surprising considering the source material and what you would expect otherwise. Cinematographic excellence is the single most surprising element in this movie, with a director who not understands storytelling, but how to visually display the story that is haunting, chilling, and entrancing.

Get some friends, get some beer, and sit back and prepare your mind to be esploded.
weirdcryoJan 20, 2017
I started watching not knowing what to expect besides being an action flick, it started well but almost lost me with the "mutant power thingy" but as the movie progressed it was used effectively and mantaining internal logic so it grew on meI started watching not knowing what to expect besides being an action flick, it started well but almost lost me with the "mutant power thingy" but as the movie progressed it was used effectively and mantaining internal logic so it grew on me as Dredd character.
As a movie in general it has it lows and highs but specifically as an action movie is great: gory (without being tasteless), great action scenes, great visuals and a couple of main characters that grew on you as the story develops, it doesn't unnecessarily prolongs like most movies these days so that is also a plus.
It have the classic action moments where the hero should have died but they are few and easy to forgive.
I will recommend it to anyone looking for an action flick without a doubt.
xRAIDER34xApr 16, 2015
Love this movie awesome affects Urban is a great actor for dred. Dred fans should love and appreciate this movie I hope they make another dred movie.
TopCatUKFeb 9, 2019
Great film. True to the source material whilst being fun, interesting and accessible to those who don’t know the source material.
Firewing2Jan 1, 2017
Finally, a movie worthy of the source material. A brutal non-stop action flick that starts fast and keeps going. It develops a simple and effective plot and doesn't shy away from brutal violence without feeling gratuitous.

Karl Urban gets

Karl Urban gets a lot of mileage out of a gravely voice and never seeing the bottom half of his face, as it should be.
kheasSep 23, 2012
DREDD was everything anyone could want in an action/comic book movie. This was one of the very best adaptions of a "non-mainstream" comic property I have ever seen. If you enjoyed the 2000AD comics series or have never read it, this movieDREDD was everything anyone could want in an action/comic book movie. This was one of the very best adaptions of a "non-mainstream" comic property I have ever seen. If you enjoyed the 2000AD comics series or have never read it, this movie really gives us a good look t who and what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban really nails his role as the title character and you completely forget that he is an actor playing a roll.
This movie really shows you what someone can do with a limited budget and a decent plot. It does not try to pander to anyone, not the fans and certainly not the critics. Be warned, this movie is rated R for a reason. And and movie about the good Judge should be at least rated R.
HyperboreaOct 5, 2012
Absolute masterpiece. I really don't know how it got only 55% or something. By far best and most original superhero movie that came out this year and yes, I watched them all. And you should see it in cinema, because in this one 3D actuallyAbsolute masterpiece. I really don't know how it got only 55% or something. By far best and most original superhero movie that came out this year and yes, I watched them all. And you should see it in cinema, because in this one 3D actually makes sense. Strong recommendation and pure example of a movie that critic just didn't get. Expand
drmSep 24, 2012
So, I went to check this out yesterday, in glorious 2D. This movie is awesome. Seriously. Somebody finally got it right. This is right up there on the top 5 list of comic movies done correctly. We are spared the tired old cliché of anSo, I went to check this out yesterday, in glorious 2D. This movie is awesome. Seriously. Somebody finally got it right. This is right up there on the top 5 list of comic movies done correctly. We are spared the tired old cliché of an origin story. Thank freakin' God. I am so sick of that. The story is a simple one, that begins in medias res, and is basically Clint Eastwood's 'The Enforcer', set in a dystopian near-future. Karl Urban, who I think is one of the better actors of our time, nails the jaded, sometimes cruel, but ultimately justice serving, Dirty Harry-esque archetype. His character is refreshingly devoid of cornball one-liners, and never strays from his primary motivation. What was also refreshing, is that he keeps his helmet on through the whole movie. When I first heard that Dredd would be partnered up with a woman (Olivia Thirlby), I thought, "Oh no....here we go again with some cliché vamp, dressed up in a skin tight catsuit and heels." Thankfully they did not do that. She's in uniform, psychic, and deeply twisted. Damaged goods. This is a real smart move, and it adds a lot to the film. The violence, and gore, is Robocop level goodness, and much of it is treated in an almost artsy way. The soundtrack is as filthy as the scenery. Lots of distorted break beats, without any cornball attempts at dubstep. The other really nice touch about the soundtrack, are the drug sequences, which lovingly use the Nick Pittsinger styled 800% slow down filter. This works beautifully. The villain (Lena Headey) is superb. You really hate her. I haven't left the theater feeling so damn good, in a very long time. What's so sad, is that a lot of people are just gonna sleep on this film due to it's odd release time, the foul taste of the Stallone disaster still lingering in their mouths, and some really unfounded negative reviews. Do not sleep on this. Go see it. I will definitely buy this on DVD. Expand
jlplattenSep 22, 2012
This movie is about pure entertainment, and it does not disappoint. The best way I could describe this movie is by saying it's a cross between a badass John Carpenter 80's film and the original RoboCop (Director's cut). The only problem I hadThis movie is about pure entertainment, and it does not disappoint. The best way I could describe this movie is by saying it's a cross between a badass John Carpenter 80's film and the original RoboCop (Director's cut). The only problem I had with the film was the lack of back story on the characters. Each actor played their roles really well, and the settings was well designed and gritty. This is a must see for anyone who's an action junky. Expand
BroofistSep 22, 2012
Very straightforward, yet full of substance if you are ok with ultra violence,the story isn't about saving the world or becoming a god among men for once, just surviving each day in the gritty meat grinder of Dredd's world. That's theVery straightforward, yet full of substance if you are ok with ultra violence,the story isn't about saving the world or becoming a god among men for once, just surviving each day in the gritty meat grinder of Dredd's world. That's the "nonexistent" setting or backstory for this film that naysayers are clamoring for. Instead, you get pure action and solid acting in a very consistently gritty and otherworldly place. This is a perfectly made, powerful action movie with a great setting and a good edge. Expand
SirEddieCookSep 22, 2012
Dredd is brilliant Science Fiction. Perfectly constructed, with a lean and clean narrative, and yet, sensitivity to each character and scene that raises the bar significantly for the genre. This movie is deeply intense, with strong deliveryDredd is brilliant Science Fiction. Perfectly constructed, with a lean and clean narrative, and yet, sensitivity to each character and scene that raises the bar significantly for the genre. This movie is deeply intense, with strong delivery in visuals, art direction along with fantastic performances from every single actor in the film. It's scary, uncompromising and a work of art. Expand
phantajistoOct 20, 2012
This film is awesome in every way apart from the advertising budget, which couldn't stretch as far as buying off critics and led to fairly poor box office figures.

Buy it when it comes out on DVD/BluRay!! I want another Dredd film just

Buy it when it comes out on DVD/BluRay!! I want another Dredd film just like this one!
Zack2981Sep 23, 2012
I haven't been as eager to see a movie in the theater, opening weekend as I was to see Dredd. This movie was pretty much everything I wanted it to be and addressed a lot of my concerns over the watering down of action films these days.I haven't been as eager to see a movie in the theater, opening weekend as I was to see Dredd. This movie was pretty much everything I wanted it to be and addressed a lot of my concerns over the watering down of action films these days. Dredd is dark in tone but colorful, and interesting, and gritty and, most importantly, believable as a world. Karl Urban is great in the role. Everything about the movie seemed like attention had been paid to it from the sets to the story. Is it freaking Shakespear?? No! But, it's damn fun for 90 minutes. That's right, 90 minutes! None of this 2 hour plus crap. Look, there are exceptions but Battleship ain't one of 'em. But as far as Dredd is concerned, the plot is cohesive and makes sense. And there are some clever little twists here and there. I can't say enough about how badass Dredd is. Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't care for action films. I know that sounds close-minded and maybe it is a bit, but as the user reviews on this site show, Dredd has done something right for a change. Expand
BMFOct 4, 2012
Gather some of your strong stomached buddys and go see this movie it will not dissapoint. The action in this movie is allmost non stop and extremly graphic, Dredd definitely earns its R rating and has some of the most realistic and brutalGather some of your strong stomached buddys and go see this movie it will not dissapoint. The action in this movie is allmost non stop and extremly graphic, Dredd definitely earns its R rating and has some of the most realistic and brutal violence of any film I have watched. Dredd himself is like an extremly angry Batman who has said **** it" to his no killing rule and decided to clean up the city with gunfire. Expand
DalekJan 18, 2013
Amazing film, I really enjoyed it. Great special effects, the blood was a bit off but thats nothing to worry about. The acting was really good, Dredd is a very dark character in this film. The character Anderson also fits well with Dredd.
ZeyeballZOct 3, 2012
Whether you love Dredd or loathe it is going to depend I think on how much of a fan you are of one-dimensional asskickers in general and Judge Dredd in particular. Me? I'm a long time fan of the Judge ever since Prog 2 of 2000AD back in theWhether you love Dredd or loathe it is going to depend I think on how much of a fan you are of one-dimensional asskickers in general and Judge Dredd in particular. Me? I'm a long time fan of the Judge ever since Prog 2 of 2000AD back in the seventies!! I loved the hell out of this movie and rate Karl Urban's Dredd as the best characterisation of any comic book character ever to make it to a non-animated movie. He didn't just nail the character he managed to blow away any memories of the Stallone fiasco with a number 4 cartridge and set the universe to rights.
The ultra graphic violence didn't really add much to the story although it did ensure that the intention of the movie was never going to be one of catering to the tweenage market.
Comparing this movie to The Raid: Redemption is stupid and there is no way that either movie was a rip-off of the other. Sometimes movies just seem to arrive at the same time with similar ideas and these movies are very different animals. I loved The Raid and would rate it as a better action flick btw, but Dredd does what it needs to do and does it extremely well. For the general perpulation I would give this about a 7 out of 10 but for me and my fellow Dredd-hedds, I cannot give this anything less than 10/10.
SpenderJGantSep 24, 2012
This is an incredible film, totally engaging and always interesting. Don't let the violence put you off, it's handled really well without being gratuitous; in fact it's becomes quite beautiful. There's some political subtext and implicitThis is an incredible film, totally engaging and always interesting. Don't let the violence put you off, it's handled really well without being gratuitous; in fact it's becomes quite beautiful. There's some political subtext and implicit satire if you interested in reading into that stuff but other than that it's also completely engaging on just a surface level too. It's econimical with its plot but the characters of Dredd and Anderson are the real focus. It really is a small character study in what it means to embody the role of Judge, Jury & Executioner hiding inside the body of a smart but gripping action film. Expand
MovieLuv2Sep 25, 2012
Go see Dredd! This is a fun, fun movie with a great John Carpenter-type soundtrack. Don't let the critic reviews keep you away from seeing a straight-up thrill ride of an action movie. This is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long,Go see Dredd! This is a fun, fun movie with a great John Carpenter-type soundtrack. Don't let the critic reviews keep you away from seeing a straight-up thrill ride of an action movie. This is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long, long time! I have never read the comics but this movie makes me want to. I loved this movie. Expand
Davel33123Oct 29, 2012
I went into this movie thinking it wasnt gonna be any good due to all the bad reviews it was getting. I came out of it thinking thats one of the best movies ive seen all year. It flows great, the atmosphere was spot on and the characters wereI went into this movie thinking it wasnt gonna be any good due to all the bad reviews it was getting. I came out of it thinking thats one of the best movies ive seen all year. It flows great, the atmosphere was spot on and the characters were suberb. The story is simple but that works in the movies favour. common people get behind these fllms that dont try and cater for a wide audience and stick to what it should be. Expand
r00botSep 22, 2012
As a life long fan and Dredd purest, I can happily report that this is a Film that lives up to the source material. There are a few short comings due to a relatively small budget. But the essence of the comics is on screen and the money hasAs a life long fan and Dredd purest, I can happily report that this is a Film that lives up to the source material. There are a few short comings due to a relatively small budget. But the essence of the comics is on screen and the money has been put on screen in all the right places. Expand
rafaelhsouzaSep 24, 2012
The best action movie of 2012 period. Karl Urban is perfect as Dredd. Extremely violent and fun as hell, this a must watch for everyone who likes a Bada** movie.
Dare2BlinkDec 28, 2012
I did not see this movie expecting much but it was definitely a pleasant surprise. Very entertaining movie that seriously does not disappoint. Good cast, good enough storyline and best of all good action and charated development. The wholeI did not see this movie expecting much but it was definitely a pleasant surprise. Very entertaining movie that seriously does not disappoint. Good cast, good enough storyline and best of all good action and charated development. The whole atmosphere of a ruined metropolis of the future is nailed perfectly and I can't think of any major flaws with the movie. I don't know what these critics are smoking (maybe slow mo) but this movie is a must see for anyone that is interested in the dredd universe of anyone that just enjoys a good action movie. Expand
ScepticNov 6, 2012
Now that's what I call a proper Judge Dredd film and I've never felt so fanboish in my life!There were precisely 4 things wrong with it though.1-Not futuristic enough.2-The Mega-City looked more like LA than NY as the Mega Blocks were far tooNow that's what I call a proper Judge Dredd film and I've never felt so fanboish in my life!There were precisely 4 things wrong with it though.1-Not futuristic enough.2-The Mega-City looked more like LA than NY as the Mega Blocks were far too spaced.3-The Lawmasters were laughable.4-Most importantly,Dredd passed Anderson.That would never happen...A re-evaluation by Dredd himself(sequel) would be an outside chance at best.Those minor/major gripes aside,I loved it.NOW DO BAD COMPANY and ROGUE TROOPER! Expand
AthanasiosTJan 27, 2013
This Dredd (in contrast with the Stallone one) really reminded me of the comic character. The film and city atmosphere was also true and worthy of the comic equivalents. Nice action film and a must watch for fans and would be fans. (TheThis Dredd (in contrast with the Stallone one) really reminded me of the comic character. The film and city atmosphere was also true and worthy of the comic equivalents. Nice action film and a must watch for fans and would be fans. (The users' reviews and scores on this one verified my trust on Metacritic's Users' ratings). Expand
drunkenmuseNov 1, 2012
If you can stomach a strong focus on violence and borderline gore porn, Dredd is a great and solid action movie. Although some changes has been made from the comic, the movie still holds up for both fans and non fans.

In the movie however,

In the movie however, Mega City One is not depicted as crazy and culturally corrupt as in the comics - which might make the judges seem unjustified to those unfamiliar with the IP, having them question their almost fascist demeanor.

That said, aside from a couple of weird script moments (all movies has them) it's still a great action movie and pretty accurate depiction of Dredd and the changes/choices that has been made to characters such as Anderson works great.

Now repeat after me; "Stallone Dredd? Never heard of it.."
krnologyFeb 5, 2013
I had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide severalI had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all its own that I'm sure many of you will enjoy. Expand
evergreenOldboySep 23, 2012
This is the most fun I have had at the movies in AGES. I had lost faith in movies after Prometheus, and against all odds Dredd gave me hope again. It isn't necessarily anything groundbreaking, but it is one heck of a great feel good movie.
BoombastixOct 27, 2012
I assumed that this movie would be better than Stallone's effort and I had hoped it would be as good as the comic. But I didn't expect it to be actually better! This movie simply blew me away. Whatever they paid Karl Urban, it wasn't enoughI assumed that this movie would be better than Stallone's effort and I had hoped it would be as good as the comic. But I didn't expect it to be actually better! This movie simply blew me away. Whatever they paid Karl Urban, it wasn't enough as he IS Dredd. The setting and action was spot on and the movie shot to my number 1 all time favorite before it was even over. Awesome. Expand
CLUTCHMay 1, 2013
This was a Judge Dredd film done right. The Stallone movie was an insult to the comics, this one actually managed to capture the spirit of the comics and the characters well. I really enjoyed it, and would love to see another one made.
JunghovaDec 30, 2012
I was reading up on the box office bombs of 2012 and saw this on the list and had to share my two cents about it. Style and action wise, as good as any action movie out there. The CGI was topnotch (and looked hella better than the ResidentI was reading up on the box office bombs of 2012 and saw this on the list and had to share my two cents about it. Style and action wise, as good as any action movie out there. The CGI was topnotch (and looked hella better than the Resident Evil sequel that came out this year). Storywise, what are people expecting. I had such low expectations for this movie, than when I left the theatre I was thoroughly impressed. Karl Urban was great (as was the rest of the acting) and it just deserves a better fate. Definitely warrants a blu-ray purchase IMO Expand
Apemonkey666Jan 12, 2013
Compaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppableCompaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit for Dredd and the filmmakers don't make the mistake of using a comedic sidekick (Rob Schneider in 1995) to make it all more accessable to the general public. Shot in South Africa for a low 50m$ on Red One MX cameras (much like District 9) we get beautifull but gritty imagery and tons of high speed slomo shots intended to give you a detailed look at the gratuitous scifi violence. I loved this film but judging by the measly 30m$ it made worldwide it's going to be one for hardcore Dredd/Scifi fans. Hopefully it will do better business on DVD/BD and recieve a cult status in film history. Expand
StaticSpineSep 23, 2012
This movie has a stressful and catchy atmosphere, besides it's rather brutal and bloody. The main characters are pretty charismatic. Oh and I liked the visual effects in the "drug scenes" - that's a nice director's finding. The story isThis movie has a stressful and catchy atmosphere, besides it's rather brutal and bloody. The main characters are pretty charismatic. Oh and I liked the visual effects in the "drug scenes" - that's a nice director's finding. The story is rather simple and straight, but still it keeps you thrilled till the end. There are some minor features from the original movie, but in total Dredd 3D is far from the original. Expand
rastapastaOct 8, 2012
This film is not one that tries to teach the moral lessons of law, punishment, whats right or wrong. The plot is supposed to be a straightforward affair. Judge Dredd's character does not change. He isn't supposed to. So instead of offering aThis film is not one that tries to teach the moral lessons of law, punishment, whats right or wrong. The plot is supposed to be a straightforward affair. Judge Dredd's character does not change. He isn't supposed to. So instead of offering a lesson on what you believe is realistic/right/wrong, Karl Urban's Dredd embodies the executioner from the comics with all the unstoppable fury of a Juggernaut. For anyone who loved the comics, wants to see Judge Dredd for the character he really is, and can appreciate a well crafted and wonderfully done action flick with plenty of water-cooler moments, Dredd delivers. Expand
AmacfaJan 28, 2013
I never write reviews, I just read all the user reviews (not the critics) to make my decision on whether I should watch a movie or not. I am really glad I decided to see Dredd, this is one of the coolest movies I have seen in the past fiveI never write reviews, I just read all the user reviews (not the critics) to make my decision on whether I should watch a movie or not. I am really glad I decided to see Dredd, this is one of the coolest movies I have seen in the past five years, I did not expect the movie to be as gripping as it was. Awesome action, perfect amount of 'badass', great gore, and a very beautiful movie. Expand
jonslowDec 11, 2018
ทุกอย่าง ลงตัว เนื้อเรื่องสนุก ดีกว่าเมื่อเทียบกับภาค สตอลโลนแสดง เหตุผลเดียวกับ ถ้าถามผมว่า James Bond ภาคเก่าหรือภาคใหม่ ชอบภาคไหนมากกว่ากัน ผมตอบภาคใหม่ เพราะมันจับต้องได้ เถื่อนๆ ดิบๆ จับต้องได้ เจ็บเป็น นำเสนอที่ตัวบุคคลมากกว่าทุกอย่าง ลงตัว เนื้อเรื่องสนุก ดีกว่าเมื่อเทียบกับภาค สตอลโลนแสดง เหตุผลเดียวกับ ถ้าถามผมว่า James Bond ภาคเก่าหรือภาคใหม่ ชอบภาคไหนมากกว่ากัน ผมตอบภาคใหม่ เพราะมันจับต้องได้ เถื่อนๆ ดิบๆ จับต้องได้ เจ็บเป็น นำเสนอที่ตัวบุคคลมากกว่า technology ของอาวุธ เอาไปเลย 10/10 ขึ้นแท่นหนังในดวงใจอีกเรื่องนึง Expand
BikerjamesOct 12, 2012
Dirty Harry meets Robocop. I really enjoyed this stark, graphic film. The plot is simple, but it is done well and is entertaining. It reminded me of a video game at times, but did have a comic book feel as well. The 3D was done well. IfDirty Harry meets Robocop. I really enjoyed this stark, graphic film. The plot is simple, but it is done well and is entertaining. It reminded me of a video game at times, but did have a comic book feel as well. The 3D was done well. If you're a fan of graphic violence and lots of things blowing up, you will enjoy it. I really liked the overall grim look of the film and the action sequences, and even laughed at some of the extreme violence, especially the bad guy's head smoking and blowing up. Watch out for Maw Maw!!!! Expand
Ryanosaur2000Jan 1, 2013
After the debacle that was Stallone's incarnation of Judge Dredd, I came into this one expecting another shoddy effort. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised. As a fan of 2000AD and Judge Dredd growing up I was pleased that this movieAfter the debacle that was Stallone's incarnation of Judge Dredd, I came into this one expecting another shoddy effort. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised. As a fan of 2000AD and Judge Dredd growing up I was pleased that this movie (somewhat) managed to capture the grittiness of the dystopia that is Mega City One (something that the Stallone effort did not even attempt). I am not a fan of Karl Urban, but his portrayal of Dredd was palatable due in large part to him never removing his helmet and the terseness of the script. By no means a masterpiece, but as far as action movies go these days Dredd is an inoffensive and visually pleasing way to spend 90 mins. As usual, be very sceptical of those handing out 10's and 0's in their reviews. Expand
BrahmaBullSep 23, 2012
Urban's Dredd is to Stallone's Dredd as Bale's Batman is to Keaton's Batman: lots more realism. Of course, I enjoyed both versions of each but that's the biggest distinction. Also, apparently, Dredd must have a hot rookie sidekick andUrban's Dredd is to Stallone's Dredd as Bale's Batman is to Keaton's Batman: lots more realism. Of course, I enjoyed both versions of each but that's the biggest distinction. Also, apparently, Dredd must have a hot rookie sidekick and Olivia Thirlby does not disappoint as the successor to Diane Lane. The villains hit all the right Megacity notes though they are neutered a bit by a bad case of the "talk too much" trope. Some wisecrack lines but nothing funny about this Dredd and that's a good thing. Of course, the Lawgiver shines in this version too. Buckets and buckets of practically unedited blood and gore. A faithful adaptation of the comic though the ending wasn't completely satisfying. Expand
BurningDesireMar 24, 2013
Fantastic movies. watch it tell others and enjoy. just like a good comic a slice of the life of dredd not the whole history jammed down your throat. a must watch
ZenRobotOct 14, 2012
this is an absolutely mind glowingly awesome picture. it's eyegasm after eyegasm strung together by a story full of bad ass little moments. the scope is fairly small, but it fleshes it out so well that you will allow it. just pray we onethis is an absolutely mind glowingly awesome picture. it's eyegasm after eyegasm strung together by a story full of bad ass little moments. the scope is fairly small, but it fleshes it out so well that you will allow it. just pray we one day get a sequel. Expand
Knicksfan7Oct 4, 2012
This wasn't just a great action spectacle but it was also a flat out good film. From the acting, to the action, to the visuals, to the story. It was just a great film. If you can't handle alot of loud explosions/ action or alot of blood andThis wasn't just a great action spectacle but it was also a flat out good film. From the acting, to the action, to the visuals, to the story. It was just a great film. If you can't handle alot of loud explosions/ action or alot of blood and gore than this isn't for you, but for the action lovers out there what are you waiting for? Go see Dredd now, and for once the 3d was actually worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. 8/10 Expand
cabritaSep 29, 2012
It is an outstanding visual experience it relies not on character plot but the "fetishising" of it's violence. Some will be turned off by it I was thrilled by it. Although the film does not come to an epic climax that is set by the rest ofIt is an outstanding visual experience it relies not on character plot but the "fetishising" of it's violence. Some will be turned off by it I was thrilled by it. Although the film does not come to an epic climax that is set by the rest of the film, it's previous scenes were so gut wrenchingly violently beautiful you couldn't look away. The thing I was most impressed with was the 3D. It is the best 3D I have ever seen in any motion picture because it evokes a feeling, it transports you into the feeling of the person taking the drug. Expand
StevenFJan 26, 2013
This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
Perhaps it wasn't a box office success, but its difficult to reboot something that was so awful first time around, whatever the reason, Dredd deserves to get a cult status in more wyas than one.
Set in a post-atomic age where the remaining humans live in 'mega-cities', the city is maintained through the law of 'judges', motorbike riding officers who deal with the overwhelming crime on the streets.
Among the Judges is the most famed and feared of all...Dredd (Karl Urban).
It has touches of Blade Runner and Terminator rolled into this hour and half action flick.
Urban does a fantastic job as the lead character, conveying his emotion brilliantly, all the while while having to wear the helmet.
Joining Dredd is rookie judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) who is also a psychic, Thirlby holds her own here, relatively unknown to most in terms of the action genre.
On the other side of the coin is is Game of Thrones Lena Headey playing disturbed drud lord Ma-Ma, who is distributing a new drug Slo-Mo into the city.
Dredd doesn't waste time trying to correct mistakes of its own genre, its goes full throttle into the film and doesnt hold back on blood, guts and all around gore...
imthenoobJan 6, 2013
DIdn't watch the first Dredd movie, Didn't know anything about the series until I watched it movie. That being said, with an un-biased opinion, I really liked this movie. Action packed, Solid acting, and it doesn't try to take itself tooDIdn't watch the first Dredd movie, Didn't know anything about the series until I watched it movie. That being said, with an un-biased opinion, I really liked this movie. Action packed, Solid acting, and it doesn't try to take itself too seriously. Just a really enjoyable movie. I hope they make a sequel. Expand
SantiagoMAKiiNAOct 7, 2012
I was particularly mad leaving this film. Not at it. But at myself. I had already conceded on the fact that I wouldn't be needing to see this in 3D. But don't make the same mistake I did. Go watch this one with the funny glasses. This is oneI was particularly mad leaving this film. Not at it. But at myself. I had already conceded on the fact that I wouldn't be needing to see this in 3D. But don't make the same mistake I did. Go watch this one with the funny glasses. This is one of those that doesn't exploit 3D for the sake of the thing. I can see how it would actually work well. The visuals are undeniably cool. And it's obvious much preparation went in its delivery.
I am sadly old enough to compare this one to the original one with Arnold. And it is by far a better narrative piece. Sure, back then it was the bells and whistles of the scifi angle, the Sharon Stone, and the Arnold bit. So we were all pretty well distracted. But now that time has passed... Screw that one. This one has testicles.
Lena Headey as the villain is superb. I saw her in person at the Abbey the other night and she is particularly attractive in person. Her sight grabs on to you hard. But who knew she delivered just as much a hormonal effect with a scar across her face.
Olivia Thirby played a refreshingly believable role as the rookie cop looking to grow some cojones to pull the trigger. And this is no little lady from Gossip Girl, for those of you who followed her here from there. That girl will put two in the chest and two in the face. Thank God they had the common sense to come up with an excuse to have her helmet removed. I mean... Karl Urban. Dude. You are cool and all, but that could be your cousin in there. Couldn't someone had blown off your helmet? You know? Give us our money's worth to see the actor we are here to root for? All jokes aside, when you see your cousin tell him he has my thumbs up. Good job.
In any case, go watch this. It's modern cool and refreshing. Soda optional.
Mazmorrero47Sep 28, 2012
Dredd is one of the most entertaining movies of 2012. The great thing about it is that it embraces itself as what it is: a simple popcorn film that only pretends to show crazy over the top violence and a badass hero. But at the same time, itDredd is one of the most entertaining movies of 2012. The great thing about it is that it embraces itself as what it is: a simple popcorn film that only pretends to show crazy over the top violence and a badass hero. But at the same time, it has its own essence, a great production design and is far from the average generic and uninspired action movie. Karl Urban did a great job as Dredd. His lines and his Batman-esque voice made him very enjoyable to watch. Same thing for Lena Headey, who is what you expect from a villain of this sort: an evil woman who you want to see suffer. Dredd was a very pleasant surprise. If you like good action, go and see it. Expand
oliver1hDec 25, 2012
It was a really good futuristic action movie. I particularly do not like action movies, but this one worth the watch! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby shined in their roles. Lena Headey was not bad either, The action sequences were not too farIt was a really good futuristic action movie. I particularly do not like action movies, but this one worth the watch! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby shined in their roles. Lena Headey was not bad either, The action sequences were not too far fetched, and the violence while CGI, was realistic. Overall a solid action sci-fi movie! Expand
barnet42Oct 15, 2012
Lena Headey She is one hell of a good actress. Her American accent in this film for a start is really convincing! Her best role ever in my opinion is Cersei from Game of Thrones. Such a vast difference between Cersei and Ma Ma, and she playsLena Headey She is one hell of a good actress. Her American accent in this film for a start is really convincing! Her best role ever in my opinion is Cersei from Game of Thrones. Such a vast difference between Cersei and Ma Ma, and she plays both roles to absolute perfection. Truly remarkable. Expand
Longbottom94Apr 25, 2013
A great solid action gem, with entertaining set pieces, wry humor and surprisingly low key, subtle performances from the cast help elevate this film from its potential (and honestly expected) mediocrity. Maybe through fan support or a highlyA great solid action gem, with entertaining set pieces, wry humor and surprisingly low key, subtle performances from the cast help elevate this film from its potential (and honestly expected) mediocrity. Maybe through fan support or a highly ambitious kick starter event we can see a return to Mega City 1 Expand
SandrickOct 18, 2012
The most fun that I have had watching an action movie in the theater since T2. A tightly paced thrill ride that combines great characters with great acting. The world is also very well conceived and I cannot wait for the inevitable sequel toThe most fun that I have had watching an action movie in the theater since T2. A tightly paced thrill ride that combines great characters with great acting. The world is also very well conceived and I cannot wait for the inevitable sequel to take us back there again. I feel legitimately sorry for those people that are not seeing this film because they are basing their opinion of it off of the Stallone version that came out decades ago. For me, this was the biggest cinematic surprise of the year. Expand
nanowerxJan 18, 2013
Wow, this one took me by surprise. In fact, had multiple friends not told me to see it, I would have avoided it completely, as the original (Judge Dredd) was quite a crap fest. This is exactly what an action movie should be...gritty, violent,Wow, this one took me by surprise. In fact, had multiple friends not told me to see it, I would have avoided it completely, as the original (Judge Dredd) was quite a crap fest. This is exactly what an action movie should be...gritty, violent, intriguing, and scant on backstory. Too many action films take up too much time trying to give me a history lesson on the protagonist when all I want is some mindless action and violence. The movie delivers such in droves. It was very tasteful, but full of realistic violence that really draws you in. Very rare is it that a sequel can exceed the original by a long shot, but this movie does it and does it well. I cannot believe that the metacritic score is so low, this is a 10/10 all day long! Goes to show that critics never quite "get it." If you like action films, then you will be doing yourself a disservice by passing up Dredd, the most unexpected his of 2012. Expand
TokyochuchuJun 8, 2013
Dredd was an absolutely fantastic slice of sci-fi action. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie as bloodthirsty as Dredd, but it really hit the spot. The barebones nature of the film really works to it's advantage here. There isn'tDredd was an absolutely fantastic slice of sci-fi action. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie as bloodthirsty as Dredd, but it really hit the spot. The barebones nature of the film really works to it's advantage here. There isn't much excess, just a grim, gritty slab of badass. Which keeps it pretty faithful to the origianal comic books. Expand
batlantern_87Sep 26, 2012
This is the best Shoot'em Up movie I've seen in a long time! It doesn't set out to do something other than give us a great action movie based on a great character. Lately action movies have taken to being preachy and have politicalThis is the best Shoot'em Up movie I've seen in a long time! It doesn't set out to do something other than give us a great action movie based on a great character. Lately action movies have taken to being preachy and have political undertones. This movie just puts good guys in a situation where they have to fight bad guys and they did it right. The action feels fresh and original, the pacing is fantastic; there's never a dull moment, and Urban is fantastic as the title character Dredd. If you love movies you owe it to yourself to see this movie, if we have any hope of another one of these movies being made then go see this GREAT action movie!!!!! Expand