Warner Bros. | Release Date: July 21, 2017
Universal acclaim based on 2593 Ratings
2,192
Watch Now
dangersJul 25, 2017
I have seen a surprising amount of great blockbuster films this year but none of them has been like Dunkirk. Giving a 10/10 to Dunkirk isn't enough. It's another flawless masterpiece from Nolan and such a unique experience. Easily the bestI have seen a surprising amount of great blockbuster films this year but none of them has been like Dunkirk. Giving a 10/10 to Dunkirk isn't enough. It's another flawless masterpiece from Nolan and such a unique experience. Easily the best movie I've seen all year and among the best films I've seen that were made in the last 17 years. Expand
BellaSwan1992Jul 25, 2017
Hands down the movie of the year. Incredibly intense, powerful, and moving, and packs an amazing amount of stuff into a lean 100-minute runtime (doubly impressive considering how little dialogue there is). Massive props to Christopher NolanHands down the movie of the year. Incredibly intense, powerful, and moving, and packs an amazing amount of stuff into a lean 100-minute runtime (doubly impressive considering how little dialogue there is). Massive props to Christopher Nolan for making a WW2 movie with an authentically British cast instead of doing the obnoxious modern forced-diversity thing, and for focusing on the courage and heroism of the Brits instead of demonizing German soldiers like Spielberg did in Saving Private Ryan.

For my money this is hands down the best WW2 movie I've ever seen, even better than Mel's Hacksaw Ridge last year. If there's any justice this will take Best Picture at the Oscars.
PeterAlexanderJul 21, 2017
A masterpiece. Dunkirk is a thrilling, haunting picture of sound and cinematography. With little to no character development, and mostly drowned out dialogue, this movie is truly a spectacle of action, drama and at times, horror. Such anA masterpiece. Dunkirk is a thrilling, haunting picture of sound and cinematography. With little to no character development, and mostly drowned out dialogue, this movie is truly a spectacle of action, drama and at times, horror. Such an intense take on war has never been filmed before, and hasn’t had me so immersed in the cinema for many years. Christopher Nolan has once again created a film that has you drawing for breath by the end. Expand
MastacraftJul 25, 2017
Flyers drift into the streets dropped from above urging the Allies to surrender after they had been absolutely decimated instead many soldiers literally wiped their ass with it.*

Let us begin with the way the story is shown by director

Let us begin with the way the story is shown by director Christopher Nolan which is simply incredible and gives way to the imagination of what was coming for the British and French army. Dunkirk gives this eerie feel to the elephant in the room; Hitler & the axis powers who are not shown on screen but leaves any viewer with some historical knowledge aware the Germans are looming over 400,000 soldiers who nervously wait hat in hand for their fate, all Hitler has to do is snap to cease the existence of Britain as we know it on the jaws of Dunkirk. Instead of taking the typical Hollywood route Nolan focuses on the evacuation, the imagery, the sheer enormity of the task at hand and leaves towering figures such as the likes of Churchill (who recently had his own terribly inaccurate biopic told for the tenth time) as merely a mention – this is a soldier’s story, a people’s story.

Hans Zimmer brings back renditions of the Dark Knight with the soundtrack piercing into your eardrums as the skies roar above with the spray of spitfire bullets hitting the Luftwaffe like rattling drums. One cannot help but feel nervous and uncomfortable with the soundtrack and in a movie depicting such a terrible event and time there is nothing more fitting.

Dunkirk makes you feel as small and helpless as every soldier felt that fateful day and effortlessly avoids pitfalls nearly every war movie makes to glorify the victory while hammering home the evil of Nazi Germany which takes away from the big picture that ALL war is evil. In war sides survive, nobody wins and seeing it depicted in ways like this goes along way for showing the humanity of one side to the other – imagine propaganda films in the early 1940’s showed a little more of that! Right in the cockpit is how one feels during one of several intense Dogfight scenes as we are kept up close. Just as impressive is historical accuracy keeping inline with what occurred as the real heroes of the RAF fought off the Luftwaffe much further away from the beach to allow the evacuations to even be a possibility and we stay focused on the evacuation not the full scale war.

Tom Hardy who can do no wrong lately (fresh from Taboo - go see it!) is the all-star in stellar cast who once again blends in effortlessly to the picture instead of controlling it and this movies momentum builds as every actor keeps stride. As a period piece it is important a movie looks the part and aside from the colouring of the dropped leaflets Dunkirk is absolutely on point from uniform, to locations to planes all of this attention to small details will keep the harshest historians happy.

Action is directed very smartly and replaces blood and guts with that distant feel and imagination asked of the viewer again and again. Darkly mesmerising is the only way to describe in my eyes the early bombing scene as a soldier cowers on the beach as each bomb hits, bam, bam, bam, boom till a soldier disappears near him and you are left to think of the horror laying just off screen, not see it.

In closing go see this movie and when your children are of age show them movies like this and let them understand what happened all these years ago. It is hard to imagine that this really was one of the major turning points of the war and has given way for you and me to be where we are right now. No one knows exactly why Hitler chose to not annihilate the British Army and hold back for three days some even believe he wanted peace with Britain but whatever occurred many sacrifices where made at Dunkirk and it is the job of every film maker and company to do these sorts of films justice (we’re all sick of Hollywood bs) and I can gladly say this certainly was a Victory.

5/5 pounds

*historical fact leaflets dropped made good toilet paper for soldiers something we all take for granted now
crizzyviewJul 25, 2017
Dunkirk engages the audience from the first scene. The soldiers of the British army are being directed by their comrades to the beach at Dunkirk. Thousands of soldiers are lining up with great dignity to patiently await their rescue.Dunkirk engages the audience from the first scene. The soldiers of the British army are being directed by their comrades to the beach at Dunkirk. Thousands of soldiers are lining up with great dignity to patiently await their rescue. Churchill has requisitioned civilian boats to pick them up.

So, you ask with great anxiety about the result of the herculean effort to rescue and deliver the soldiers to Britain, did Harry Styles survive to the end of the movie? My answer is: go and see. The visual display, the persistent and exciting percussion of the musical score, the booming zooms of the aircraft, bombs, gun fire, and other sounds of war immediately brought me to the beach at Dunkirk while my gut rumbled and vibrated in my seat. I became a soldier on that beach, a Spitfire pilot, and an officer of the Royal British Army. I felt excitement, desperation, patience, forgiveness, sacrifice, empathy, the thrill of the rescue effort, and the possible consequential joy of being able to go home. This movie is an artistically delivered rendition of what it means to be a soldier, a sailor, and an officer. Will you be rescued? Will the support of the Royal Air Force be enough to get you off that beach and back into your family kitchen at home? I urge you to experience what I felt in watching Dunkirk. It's a movie that dramatically emphasizes the importance of persistence, strategy, and humanity in the war against impossibility. Ten fingers.
FranzHcriticJul 21, 2017
Christopher Nolan has surpassed himself with what I can almost say is a masterpiece. Even with its little dialogue, I found myself captivated from the time the movie started till the credits rolled. With the visuals, acting, and raw realism,Christopher Nolan has surpassed himself with what I can almost say is a masterpiece. Even with its little dialogue, I found myself captivated from the time the movie started till the credits rolled. With the visuals, acting, and raw realism, 'Dunkirk' may be one of the best, if not the best, film of 2017. Expand
TheApplegnomeJul 21, 2017
This is an experience like no other. Powerful imagery and emotional symbolism made one almost weep, because the scope of this war-epic is phenomenally crafted. It’s a dark film for sure, but it serves as a glimpse of light over and over, withThis is an experience like no other. Powerful imagery and emotional symbolism made one almost weep, because the scope of this war-epic is phenomenally crafted. It’s a dark film for sure, but it serves as a glimpse of light over and over, with a forever returning theme of truthfulness to humanity. This, combined with the realism and empathetic feel to the setting that C Nolan masterfully has achieved – will make even the dullest being emotional.

Dunkirk is very different from Nolan’s previous achievements, mainly due to the very lack of character inside through dialogs. But, amazingly, we can still relate and understand their thinking through the surreal events and clever filmmaking. The scope is real. You feel the seriousness. You feel trapped, just like the young soldiers. This is done almost without any dialogs. The silence between the characters says it all. The ones that stand out from the pack of men are Commander Bolton, Mr. Dawson and Tommy; this is where most of the focus lies and where we get most character depth. The non-linear structure helped with this, it almost trapped the audience in a loop with different perspectives on the event of Dunkirk. And the whole movie is all about the event, not the specific characters. You feel like you’re in it so you care for the situation and the characters, even though you might not remember their names fully. All of this is very rare and not often seen on film. It really works in the film’s favor, and yes even more inside to characters could never hurt a film like this one. But this isn’t a flaw in this film. To relate to characters in this extent with so little talking – is an Oscar-worthy achievement.

To follow these characters in Dunkirk is an exhausting and adrenaline-packed experience with realistic action that you will not question. The realism is stunningly shaped. It might be one of my most surreal film experiences ever. Hans Zimmer’s score boosted the experience by tenfold, it got this “ticking” feel to it, almost like a heart beating faster and faster throughout the film – Zimmer is a propulsive force that never stops to amaze. The camerawork is just as stunning; you fly like an aircraft and feel the full gravity of the situation! It’s a smooth, stylish and artistic direction from C Nolan and ‘Interstellar’ cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema.

Some minor flaws do exist. The action is at a few places very identical as to what already has been seen in previous scenes, so it took the “wow-feel” down a bit. Some individuals will without any doubt attack the “too realistic” WW2 feel, because it’s not bold enough for them. But to create this movie isn’t about being bold. It’s about creating something real. And it is, very!

It’s an epic experience filled with realism but also small acts of heroism, kindness and forgiveness. Dunkirk is as action-packed as ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’, and stunningly realistic as ‘Saving Private Ryan’ but with a bigger slam to it. It reveals the true nature of war, the men behind it and what the bigger picture of it can be.
Dunkirk is a visual and emotional experience that will take the gasp out of you. Period.

Personal rating: 92/100

Critical rating: 96/100
20 of 39 users found this helpful2019
EpicLadySpongeJul 21, 2017
Is this even possible for a movie to score this high nowadays because I believe Dunkirk broke the record for possibly best movie of the year if other movies being released on this year aren't as powerful or memorable as this movie right here.Is this even possible for a movie to score this high nowadays because I believe Dunkirk broke the record for possibly best movie of the year if other movies being released on this year aren't as powerful or memorable as this movie right here. No seriously, how am I supposed to find flaws in this amazingly-made movie? This remark on history is stronger and more powerful than I thought it would be. Expand
JyroJyroJul 24, 2017
Dunkirk is a viceral masterpiece. The lack of character development and narrative is essential for inferencing the sheer scale of the situation. This isn't a story about individuals... this is a story about a narrowly avoided catastrophicDunkirk is a viceral masterpiece. The lack of character development and narrative is essential for inferencing the sheer scale of the situation. This isn't a story about individuals... this is a story about a narrowly avoided catastrophic military disaster. It is the chronology that is pure genius, although we should be accustomed to that with Christopher Nolan's work - and the music & sound design is awesome; barrages of deafening gunfire and plane fly-overs are followed almost immediately by near-silent expanses of hopelessness. Has to be seen in IMAX to be fully appreciated. Expand
johnem95Jul 21, 2017
"Dunkirk" earns the title of "masterpiece". It's a masterclass in suspense, a history lesson, and an inspiring story of heroism all rolled into one perfect package. See it on the biggest screen possible.
zlatanmazuidiJul 21, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. it is the best movie of this sdecade and to the comment of numcrun 2 , rex reed is only jealous, nothing else, you know if you are so intelligent, then you have to be a director, ( and i suppose, that your movie would have a a rating of 10(metacritic-critics rating) and would have no content contrary to this movie, which is the next Platoon, Apocalpyse Now, Full metal jacket of our generation. If you would have read Joseph Conrad's book, you would no longer write such comments(as also the other jealous guys here). Expand
MixedMessageJul 25, 2017
Unquestionably a very good film and worth seeing, but doesn't live up to the hype. Many people knock the lack of characterization but I had no problem with that, it is plot driven and a conscious statement about the smallness of individualsUnquestionably a very good film and worth seeing, but doesn't live up to the hype. Many people knock the lack of characterization but I had no problem with that, it is plot driven and a conscious statement about the smallness of individuals in a the largest war ever fought. Starts strong with a sense of immersion in the moment but becomes needlessly complex and distant as it goes on. An IMAX war film about 400,000 soldiers trapped by the Nazis is by definition a spectacle, but it never looks like more than a few hundred people are on screen at one time, and the climactic scene has what looks like a few dozen boats. I never thought I would say this, but this movie could have benefited from some gratuitous CGI to give it a feeling of scale. Instead the IMAX screen is filled with mostly empty beach. It feels intense for a handful of people but hardly epic. Spielberg may have had the same number of extras to work with, but he put them all on the screen at the same time and conveyed the immensity of the struggle. In my opinion Spielberg is best as an action cinematographer, he could never have made Memento. But Dunkirk shows Nolan is too cold and abstract to make an epic. Dunkirk was a small film with a lot of empty space on the screen. Patton was 70mm and balanced intense small scenes with battle scenes that used the expanded screen space to purposefully convey the epic scale of war as a human activity. Dunkirk is a smart and meaningful film, but misses the mark at being something greater due to an overly complex structure that adds nothing to the experience and poor use of screen space to depict a genuinely epic event from real life modern history. Expand
diarmotJul 30, 2017
Very promising at the beginning but rapid sequence shifts take away any story flow and becomes tiresome. The scope of the actual Dunkirk evacuation is lost. Nevertheless, it was entertaining but could have been more.Do not see it in IMAX, theVery promising at the beginning but rapid sequence shifts take away any story flow and becomes tiresome. The scope of the actual Dunkirk evacuation is lost. Nevertheless, it was entertaining but could have been more.Do not see it in IMAX, the sound level is excessive. Expand
BrianMcCriticJul 21, 2017
Nolan gives us a war film that works not because of characters, but by atmosphere and an incredible sound design. You learn nothing about any of the characters here, but for what Nolan was going for it makes perfect sense. You feel likeNolan gives us a war film that works not because of characters, but by atmosphere and an incredible sound design. You learn nothing about any of the characters here, but for what Nolan was going for it makes perfect sense. You feel like you're there with these men and Hans Zimmer's score is breathtaking. Overall Dunkirk marks a familiar, yet new kind of Nolan film. You see his finger prints all over it especially the finale, but to go with such little dialogue is foreign to him, he still nailed it. A Expand
markydiscoJul 26, 2017
Incredible film!!! I viewed it in IMAX and it took movie watching almost to a whole new level. A roller coaster ride from start to finish, I was mesmerized and choked up all at the same time. Demonstrates the horror of war as well as anyIncredible film!!! I viewed it in IMAX and it took movie watching almost to a whole new level. A roller coaster ride from start to finish, I was mesmerized and choked up all at the same time. Demonstrates the horror of war as well as any other war movie classic by putting you right in the middle of it. I see that some critics/viewers criticize the film for lack of dialog...I just think that makes it more real since everything was all happening so quickly during this event on so many levels that most involved were probably just in a state of shock. Technically everything about this film is amazing and the soundtrack took my breath away. Highly recommend this movie! Expand
MAFIAxMaverickJul 24, 2017
It's hard to find words for just how amazing Dunkirk is. It's one of my favorite pieces of history adapted into just a phenomenal feature film. The best part about the movie, in my opinion, was the score. Mr. Zimmer you have done it countlessIt's hard to find words for just how amazing Dunkirk is. It's one of my favorite pieces of history adapted into just a phenomenal feature film. The best part about the movie, in my opinion, was the score. Mr. Zimmer you have done it countless times throughout your fabled career, and I think Dunkirk may be your best score yet. The acting was top notch. It was refreshing to see a war film from a very different perspective. This was about about survival and living to fight another day. The different perspectives of our main characters all made me feel like I was right there with them. What amazing film. Oscar for sure. Expand
timaoJul 21, 2017
Best movie of the year! This suspenseful thriller Dunkirk, will bring some hard ware home, come award season! Best Picture, Score and Director! Thing is, Nolan never ceases to disapoint in his films, and best of all this is an intense historyBest movie of the year! This suspenseful thriller Dunkirk, will bring some hard ware home, come award season! Best Picture, Score and Director! Thing is, Nolan never ceases to disapoint in his films, and best of all this is an intense history lesson! Tom Hardy wears masks so good and the cast were all aces. This movie will have one picking up history books after you leave the theater! Expand
moviemitch96Jul 22, 2017
Pretty much every film that Christopher Nolan makes is a flat-out masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, and I'm more than happy to say that this film is no different! In fact, I think that this just may be the best war film I've ever seenPretty much every film that Christopher Nolan makes is a flat-out masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, and I'm more than happy to say that this film is no different! In fact, I think that this just may be the best war film I've ever seen (sorry to say it, but step aside 'Saving Private Ryan'). I honestly can't remember another as suspenseful or one that got my heart pounding and gave me goosebumps as much as this one did! From the very opening scene to the film's final moments, it never lets up, giving us an intense and nonstop look at the epic and historical moments and events that unfold throughout the film. The three-way narrative structure (land, sea, and air) is handled seamlessly, and the imagery/cinematography, sound, actors, etc. made this an all-around fantastic and unforgettable experience that fully immersed me in this great and historic moment in history, plain and simple! Overall, not only is this hands down the best film of the summer, but it's well on its way to maintaining its status as my favorite film all year long most likely! Mr. Nolan sir, you never cease to blow me away! Expand
samb1Jul 23, 2017
Mr. Nolan has shown that details are not always elaboration, sometimes it's just a few strikes from a paintbrush of an artist that explains the whole world.
jasharkowalskiJul 22, 2017
I watched the movie last night and still i'm having that rare feeling when you wish the movie lasted longer...first and foremost - there is no a single CGI scene in the epic war movie ! All is real and all is breathtaking ! Next is music -I watched the movie last night and still i'm having that rare feeling when you wish the movie lasted longer...first and foremost - there is no a single CGI scene in the epic war movie ! All is real and all is breathtaking ! Next is music - that Zimmer guy simply won't miss a second to ease the grip, he pushes suspense scenes (and the whole movie is one big suspense scene) close to the edge...this movie is the best Nolan so far, there is no excuse to miss it ! Expand
corinthiansJul 21, 2017
Dunkirk is many things: it's a technical masterpiece--cinematography, sound, and its clock-ticking score; it's an intense thrill ride that feels like it is never going to stop; it's a brilliant innovation in regards to the way it tells itsDunkirk is many things: it's a technical masterpiece--cinematography, sound, and its clock-ticking score; it's an intense thrill ride that feels like it is never going to stop; it's a brilliant innovation in regards to the way it tells its story; and it's a heart-wrenching journey into the psyches of the countless troops who are trapped in war and just want to go home. Any movie would be considered great if its director did one of these things, and Nolan does them all. It's a film that requires you to think in order that you can feel. Expand
demonbrownieJul 26, 2017
Awesome movie, and very intense from the beginning until the end. Dunkirk is a well-crafted film by a great director. The story might confuse some, but it's brilliant in my opinion. The score is intense, and fits well with every scene in the movie.
E-DogJul 21, 2017
Dunkirk is a masterpiece of cinematography, acting, writing, score and editing. This is easily one of Christopher Nolan's greatest films and one of the greatest war films of all time.
SIYDLFILLYJul 25, 2017
Christopher Nolan has done it again with Dunkirk. So intense and pulse bounding I was shaking after I left the theater. One note it would be realistic if it was rated r with blood but it's amazing with a war movie that's all about theChristopher Nolan has done it again with Dunkirk. So intense and pulse bounding I was shaking after I left the theater. One note it would be realistic if it was rated r with blood but it's amazing with a war movie that's all about the meaning,"War". Nothing else. No time to talk about each character, just get into each character is wasting time, these men need to go home and escape. THIS IS A WAR MOVIE. Expand
rayprdnJul 21, 2017
IMAX fully recommended, extremely intense movie from the beginnning till the end, the sound effect and score is masterpiece. Big applause for Nolan, 'cause he succesfully blow my mind!
radewart1792Jul 22, 2017
Great thrilling action and pulsing soundtrack. Unlike any war movie I've ever seen.
See in IMAX! I don't get the complaint that it lacks human emotion, it just presents it differently then people are used to.
brownie2Jul 27, 2017
Best IMAX experience so far. It's definitely one of my favorite movies this year. For a movie that has a short runtime, it packs so much stuff in it. The lack of character development and dialogue might bring in some hate but I think theBest IMAX experience so far. It's definitely one of my favorite movies this year. For a movie that has a short runtime, it packs so much stuff in it. The lack of character development and dialogue might bring in some hate but I think the film's main intention is not about the character's background. The film focuses more on the situation, and the direction with the story is absolutely brilliant in my opinion. Dunkirk is well-crafted, visually stunning, and intense. Expand
PotaeSuprakitJul 23, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Potte makes this movie great.
Dunkirk is a great and amazing war movie.
Nolan has an amazingly realistic painting of the evacuation of Confederate soldiers along with the best air dogfights ever released. From the pilot level, three time frames, and foretelling their own novels to the reality of the Allied evacuation of June 1940, this amazing technical ability is an entertainment that stops the heart. This is Nolan's best film to date, a stunning and thrilling masterpiece, and a great return to film.
HuraxdaxJul 28, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly, when I first left the movie theater after watching Dunkirk, I thought it was not really a great movie, especially not from somebody like Christopher Nolan. Over the course of a night of good sleep and one not-too-busy day with a lot of thinking, I've changed my mind. Although I still don't consider it his best movie - not even his second- or third-best one - I do see the "Nolan-touch" in it, which is always a good thing. Let me explain.
The most important point to eventually change my mind was how great of a war movie Dunkirk is. Not a movie, a war movie. I like that the main Characters didn't get introduced too much, nor got a big background story. Over time, they don't develop like you would expect from a typical modern movie. They just happen to be the 'chosen ones' for the movie, among 400,000 other men with just the same fate. I feel like this gives the whole war setting a much more authentic and believable touch to it, because nobody speaks of 'heroes'. They're all just soldiers. Another thing I enjoyed were the intersections of some of the sub-plots. The parallel events created a sense of unity in the main plot which brings me to a side of the movie that I didn't like. The idea of having three sub-plots happening over three different time periods is good, but the way it is introduced isn't. The only hint we get as to how long each sub-plot plays out and where it begins and ends is right at the beginning of the movie, when there are three shots, introducing the perspectives air, land and sea. In each shot, a time period is stated. One week for land, one day for the sea and one hour for the air. The only plot that has a nice pace throughout the movie is the sea. I found myself being most fascinated by the sea plot and caring the most about it. Partly also because it was the easiest to follow. While the land part happened much too quickly for the risky endeavor it really was, the air-part repeated itself 4 times with the same dogfight-scene, thus got pretty boring (and unrealistic, given the authenticity of the rest of the film) towards the end. It took me pretty long to figure out that the time-periods in the beginning indicated how long each of the three plots lasted in real life. That, combined with the three plots being shown literally parallel makes for a pretty confusing experience at times. Although Nolan has repeatedly proven to be the master of confusion in earlier movies, this time it didn't quite work for him. On the other hand, so many things did work. The scene towards the end, where the boat we follow in the "sea" part reveals to be one of hundreds coming to rescue the soldiers worked great. The cinematography, the sometimes dark, sometimes turquoise look of the film combined with the mind blowing sound belongs to the best audio visual cinema experiences I've ever witnessed. And most of all, the mood of war, the hopeless brutality and endeavor, the sheer insanity of that scenario works exceptionally well. What can I say, Chris Nolan just knows how to make a great movie.

Over all, it's a mixed bag. The ideas Nolan put into the movie are great and show his talent as a filmmaker, but the way he ended up realizing them doesn't quite make for an entertaining movie. I see this movie as one that you truly enjoy the second time you watch it, because the first time you're busy figuring out what happens where and especially when. It's not the typical war-movie. It's not a typical movie at all. You have to in the mood for a movie that has more in common with a documentary than with a hollywood movie, but at the same time wants to be a hollywood movie (and is one, regarding sound ans visuals). Maybe it's just the wrong genre for a director like Nolan.
moviecritic68Aug 5, 2017
A graphic depiction of how war affects the lives of many who are thrown into the mix. Filming scenes were excellent & had the audience captivated. Well worth seeing !
leelustigJul 25, 2017
Pros:
- Top notch cinematography and special effects.
- Excellent score by Zimmer. - Does not bear the 'Nolan' mark of sophomoric dialogue. Cons: - Lacking character personality (or even names for that matter) - Unrealistic depiction of
Pros:
- Top notch cinematography and special effects.
- Excellent score by Zimmer.
- Does not bear the 'Nolan' mark of sophomoric dialogue.

Cons:
- Lacking character personality (or even names for that matter)
- Unrealistic depiction of battle (no gore)
- Messy narrative with characters that go nowhere.
- Somehow manages to become boring and repetitive. - Too contained. Never feels like 400,000 men died. This seemed more like 40.
- Does not teach us anything new about the historic event.

Extremely over-hyped by critics. A solid film, just not one that I would strongly recommend.
Creeper3455Sep 1, 2017
In a summer (like others) filled with nothing but pointless sequels and remakes (with exceptions), Cristopher Nolan (the wonderous mind of Inception and TDK Trilogy) is back to the directing chair with Dunkirk,a war movie that not onlyIn a summer (like others) filled with nothing but pointless sequels and remakes (with exceptions), Cristopher Nolan (the wonderous mind of Inception and TDK Trilogy) is back to the directing chair with Dunkirk,a war movie that not only stands out as the best Nolan movie in a long time,but that also stands out as THE movie we needed this year. This may seem like another typical war movie with only action sequences and that's it. Dunkirk,on another hand,is not that war movie you'd expect nowadays. The story was for the most part non-stop war,with no moments where they stop to a scene that will 'calm down' the movie for a bit (ok,maybe it happens 1 or 2 times...),since most of the movie was surprisingly enjoyable,if not also intense and heart-beating at the same time. Even the music (composed once again,masterfully,by Hans Zimmer) makes the movie a non-stop living nightmare.A big orchestra gets reunion with the electronic instruments that will make you not sleep for the rest of the year (especially Supermarine,the best track out of the 'bunch'). I was also impressed by how this movie was filmed,since we don't have Wally Pfister as the Director of Photography. Same goes to the Vis...Practical Effects of the movie,sine everything in the movie was practical,from boats to planes and from water to explosions. It also paid off very well as a first time watching a movie in IMAX 70mm,since it felt as a realistic experience in that auditorium,with a BOATload of Sound Effects surrounding you everywhere (i almost had a heart attack while a gunshot came out of nowwhere). The acting was surprisingly superb. I didn't expect to like Harry Styles (?!?) as one of the main characters,while Tom Hardy is,as always,your typical Hardy in a mask. In the end,with beautiful imagery,a tense and heart-pounding story,superb acting,and a score that could be one of Zimmer's best,Dunkirk is THE DEFINITIVE Summer movie we all needed (while at the same time standing out as Nolan's best movie,if not also,of this year) Expand
redisonJul 28, 2017
There is great beauty in the film and Nolan successfully avoids the sloppy romanticizing of war usually present in war films. But something was missing. While the film's mission seemed to focus on the individual dramas being played out in aThere is great beauty in the film and Nolan successfully avoids the sloppy romanticizing of war usually present in war films. But something was missing. While the film's mission seemed to focus on the individual dramas being played out in a commendable effort to personalize the horror of war, the evacuation itself was badly represented. One would think from viewing the film that there were a few arial dog fights and few ships sunk but otherwise an orderly evacuation. It was not. There were thousands of sorties and 16 squadrons of the Royal Air-force engaged in Operation Dynamo. The French were fiercely fighting a regard action to hold off the advancing German divisions. The sheer desperation and scale of the calamity never reaches the audience. The result a good movie with the potential to be great movie is lost. Expand
CinemaphileJul 31, 2017
The non-linear storytelling which worked so well for Nolan's Momento works against Dunkirk. What does work in Dunkirk is the bombastic sound effects, but like CGI, those alone do not make a movie. Ironically, Dunkirk draws back from theThe non-linear storytelling which worked so well for Nolan's Momento works against Dunkirk. What does work in Dunkirk is the bombastic sound effects, but like CGI, those alone do not make a movie. Ironically, Dunkirk draws back from the immersive, oppressive, omnipresent sound and score that dominate Inception and Interstellar. One wonders if a linear edit would reveal the story's weaknesses. Because the editing seems like a gimmick, I give Dunkirk a 7 ... a solid 7. It's worth seeing in Imax ... not many films are shot with an eye for the big big screen, but I'd recommend a matinee. Expand
JavierChileAug 2, 2017
Excellent movie. Everything it wants to do it executes it perfectly! The tension created by the music is enormous. The multiple point of view technique contributes to enhance the spectator experience. I got very emotional at the end,Excellent movie. Everything it wants to do it executes it perfectly! The tension created by the music is enormous. The multiple point of view technique contributes to enhance the spectator experience. I got very emotional at the end, specially with the Spitfire ode reaching its peak.

Excellent music, minimalist dialogues, direction, photography and ability to transmite the fear and pesimism of the dunkirk english troops. Just perfect.
DatamariOct 17, 2017
My most anticipated movie of the year, and man, it did not disappoint. Dunkirk is Christopher Nolan at his best. This is a bleak, gripping, and exciting war movie that kept me glued to my seat for the entire runtime. Harry Styles,My most anticipated movie of the year, and man, it did not disappoint. Dunkirk is Christopher Nolan at his best. This is a bleak, gripping, and exciting war movie that kept me glued to my seat for the entire runtime. Harry Styles, surprisingly is fantastic in this movie. A lot of people were worried when he was casted into the role, but as the eyes of the audience, he works incredibly well. The rest of the ensemble are great as well; Tom Hardy and Mark Rylance being the two standouts, but nobody lags in this. While Styles is first in the cast listing, there's no main character per se, rather it's about all of the Allied who fought for their lives. There is very little dialogue in this movie; the plot advances by subtle visual and audio cues, the timing of the shots, and the brilliant score done once again by Hans Zimmer. On top of nailing the atmosphere of a barren war zone, Dunkirk's action is on point. It's not as exciting as Saving Private Ryan or Glory, but it still offers the same emotional impact as the two. Your heart will drop when you hear the machine gun of an enemy plane in the distance. My only real issue with this movie is, while the character of the Allied is engaging, and I cared enough about each of them, their characters aren't interesting on their own. All they have is personalities, and that's it; no backstory, no intrigue. But as I said, Dunkirk is about the troops as a group, so I could easily overlook this. Overall, Dunkirk is an exceptional entry in Nolan's filmography. Exciting, engaging, and edge-of-your-seat suspenseful, it's the best war film of the modern era, and one of the best of the year so far.

Dunkirk gets a 10/10
alejandro970Aug 1, 2017
One of the most dramatic episodes of WW2 narrated masterfully, with a relentless rhythm that narrates exciting battles from air, land and sea; supported by a outstanding photofraphy, and an overwhelming, dynamic score composed by Hans Zimmer.One of the most dramatic episodes of WW2 narrated masterfully, with a relentless rhythm that narrates exciting battles from air, land and sea; supported by a outstanding photofraphy, and an overwhelming, dynamic score composed by Hans Zimmer. One of best war movies of ever. Rush. Expand
dashtagAug 5, 2017
I usually don't like the director Christopher Nolan, his films are very long and dark, plus go on in repetitive themes to show how flashy and smart he is. I was looking forward to Dunkirk, because it would be an interesting turn of his filmsI usually don't like the director Christopher Nolan, his films are very long and dark, plus go on in repetitive themes to show how flashy and smart he is. I was looking forward to Dunkirk, because it would be an interesting turn of his films and would give him acclaim. I feel that this was partially for Oscar bait, but who cares when you have a film like this. It's so intense and realistic, because it follows the feeling of the British soldiers themselves, not everyone in the war, but the events really happening. We don't need to know about what the Germans looked like, the characters reactions and actions to prevent the attacks and to save their own lives really shows what war is like. Many people don't appreciate the sophistication in this film, for Nolan has included a realistic amount of violence and a smart way to play with time. Very impressed how he jumped from the silly Interstellar to an accurate portrayal of Dunkirk. Beautifully shot, and don't listen to the haters about the film itself or about the history. Great movie. Expand
mrdr4gonNov 18, 2017
A wonderfully visceral masterpiece of visual storytelling, told with complete, relenting intensity. The sound design work in particular is masterful - it's loud, fear-inducing and probably louder than the battle itself was.
Abhijit1991Aug 4, 2017
A heart pounding movie made possible by Hanz Zimmer's tense background score and Nolan's tight script. The movie perfectly conveys the claustrophobic atmosphere of the story.
jordanwatchestvAug 6, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From the opening scene until the end there is a sense of excitement and uncertainty of what will come next. This is orchestrated through fantastic writing and cinematography by Christopher Nolan, and the amazing score of powerful bass notes and a constant ticking of a watch that was gifted from Nolan to the genius composer Hans Zimmer. An amazing job was done to leave audiences on the edge of their seat, creating a sense of uncertainty of what was going to happen next. This was done through the score and direction, but ultimately the film's performers are what stole the show, especially Hardy who gives one of his greatest performances even when you are only able to see his eyes for the majority of it. One of Nolan's best and I highly recommend it to everyone who is in to the genre, and into amazing climactic stories! Expand
darksheoltripAug 4, 2017
First of all, I want to say that I am an avid Nolan fan. I have seen all of his movies and have even liked his less knowns works such as Doodlebug, Following, and Insomnia. The Dark Knight trilogy is probably the best superhero movies outFirst of all, I want to say that I am an avid Nolan fan. I have seen all of his movies and have even liked his less knowns works such as Doodlebug, Following, and Insomnia. The Dark Knight trilogy is probably the best superhero movies out there and his recent works have always found a way in my heart. For this reason, Dunkirk had big shoes to step in. Now let's go to the good things of the film. Score is stellar as always. It really enhances the tense moments of the film. Cinematography is excellent. This movie really accomplishes greatness by its visuals. The movie in general is good. To be honest, I was expecting the typical war movie that features great action, stellar battles and the "blood and bullet" kind of thing. This film has nothing of that and that's okay but at the very least, I expect to be drawn out by interesting writing and acting with character development. I did not see any of that in the film. Actors are like set pieces that only are there as background while the real action is in short bursts. The movie is compromised by three narratives (land, air, sea) and you just feel like watching short clips of relatively tense moments that in the end, converge in one common ending. The first moments of the film are very good and I was expecting the film to following this intrigue. I was disappointed. I wanted to see if it got any good at the ending but it just was more of the same. There is almost no dialogue, no reason to care for the characters and the movie is just plain. By that I mean, there was not even one scene that blew me away. And yes I am aware that Nolan didn't want to focus on the warfighting per se because the whole point is the evacuation/survival but it just wasn't enough to absorb me in. I couldn't bask in the movie like other war movies and I kind of feel disappointed. I felt mixed just like when I watched TH8 by Tarantino (another director that I love). The problem I have with Dunkirk is that it probably captures the experience too greatly. There is not a very good plot or narrative that keeps you on edge other than clips of soldiers waiting to get back home. The movie is actually good but it did not go according to my expectations. Expand
VDSMar 10, 2018
I avoided this at the cinema because I don’t like war films (self-censorship at its worst). I’m still pleased I didn’t see it at the cinema, but not because it isn’t very good. It is good.

If you’re expecting a Christopher Nolan reality

If you’re expecting a Christopher Nolan reality bending flic, or a full on action bash, you’ll be disappointed. Or a Saving Private Ryan type overly-sentimental blood bath, again you’ll be disappointed.

What the movie has is layers, beautiful cinematography, minimal dialogue and only a few war movie clichés.

The stand out parts for me were the flying sequences, and the whole story line involving Tom Hardy as the Spitfire pilot. It looked beautiful, it was handled delicately, and it seemed happy to forgo glamor and focus on reality. The end was a bit cheesy, and that would be my criticism of the film in general. What started off as a surprisingly down to earth war film, did sink a little bit into cliché by the end.

However, I’d recommend it. But, one more word of warning, the Americans do not swoop in at the end and ‘save the day’, so if you’re wanting that, move along. This film focuses on the British, and how, I guess, we got the saying ‘the Dunkirk spirit’.
Tony1984Jan 26, 2018
A British Saving Private Ryan in essence.The British love tales of plucky defiance such as Dunkirk or The Blitz much much more than straightforward victory. And Dunkirk is one of the great historical moments of defiance against hopeless odds.A British Saving Private Ryan in essence.The British love tales of plucky defiance such as Dunkirk or The Blitz much much more than straightforward victory. And Dunkirk is one of the great historical moments of defiance against hopeless odds. This story has underneath it all a strong anti war message, the futility and stupidity of throwing away lives for nothing, just cogs in a machine (Everyone looks the same in this movie for a reason, nobody is gung ho, war is a dreadful, even pointless experience. It doesn't improve character.You just survive it. ). The cinematography is excellent, even if it doesn't quite give the sense of the 300,000 saved, and the beach is well portrayed and suitably ominous. Not an inviting beach by a long shot. Zimmer's score is one of the the best things about the movie creating a very appropriate atmosphere. No need for fluffy superfluous dialogue, everything is deadpan (Churchill's speech was for the civilians not the soldiers) and serious. It's pure nostalgia for a Britain and a British spirit which is dead and gone, swamped in modernity and comfortable soullessness. It’s easy see why British audiences love Dunkirk Expand
DefinitelyMaybAug 18, 2017
Great survival (war) film with amazing cinematography. There is no denying how tense the film is and the amount of practical effects that went with it. However, I dont think this is Nolan's best work nor ranks as one of the best war films. IGreat survival (war) film with amazing cinematography. There is no denying how tense the film is and the amount of practical effects that went with it. However, I dont think this is Nolan's best work nor ranks as one of the best war films. I agree with most people that the story is rather bland and doesn't quite work because the scale is shrunk to a minature size. What most people seem to overlook is that the evacuation occurred over 5 days, with most soldiers saved actually by the actualy navy, but the creative choice in this film does not seem to capture this enough, instead spends more time on characters that at the end serve really little and I dont think you will necessarily get much following them at all - I rather Nolan just spent the entire film looking at different people in the process. Expand
isjoaoJan 23, 2018
I have no comments to make about this movie, I just want to use the 75 character minimum limit for reviews.
bobbymbJan 25, 2018
Christopher Nolan garancia az igényes és szórakoztató filmekre. A film nagyon jól össze van rakva, jók a vágások és látványos a film. Aki pörgős háborús filmre számít, annak unalmas lesz, de aki szereti a lassabb, de élvezhető jelenetekkelChristopher Nolan garancia az igényes és szórakoztató filmekre. A film nagyon jól össze van rakva, jók a vágások és látványos a film. Aki pörgős háborús filmre számít, annak unalmas lesz, de aki szereti a lassabb, de élvezhető jelenetekkel tarkított filmeket, azoknak tetszeni fog. 10/7. Expand
KamilmanzurFeb 4, 2018
GREAT VISUAL, GREAT DIRECTOR, GREAT SCRIPT, GREAT ACTING. Can't say more, just see it.
DaddyO3Feb 14, 2018
I was told this movie was hard to follow and I should brush up on the history of Dunkirk. I did not get a chance to review the history and just jumped into the movie. It had multiple stories going on and I didn't think it was hard toI was told this movie was hard to follow and I should brush up on the history of Dunkirk. I did not get a chance to review the history and just jumped into the movie. It had multiple stories going on and I didn't think it was hard to follow. My 16 year old son and I both enjoyed it. It's no Lord of the Rings, but a solid 7/10. Expand
DadrikJul 21, 2017
Nolan's best movie, a crazy and incredibly tense ride through one of the turning point of WWII, put together in an almost silent way (very few dialogue in this movie)
Incredible movie, incredible soundtrack as well
ChrisMiller35Jul 21, 2017
The film creates this bleak engrossing apocalyptic world that leaves you spell bound for 100 mins. In the end it's a film about heroism without the blood and guts of all other war movies.
ChowdahJul 22, 2017
This is possibly the best "war" movie I have ever seen in my life. This isn't an some stupid Hollywood action movie. This is a movie about sacrifice, the horrors of war, and how people react to it. It's not preachy or in your face with someThis is possibly the best "war" movie I have ever seen in my life. This isn't an some stupid Hollywood action movie. This is a movie about sacrifice, the horrors of war, and how people react to it. It's not preachy or in your face with some political message. It's just a story about several men and their experience around Dunkirk. Amazing film. Expand
ChemaMXJul 26, 2017
Beautiful movie, the visuals, the sounds, the story, everything keeps you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. Tom hardy's acting in the movie was amazing, even though you only see his eyes most of the times and he has very fewBeautiful movie, the visuals, the sounds, the story, everything keeps you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. Tom hardy's acting in the movie was amazing, even though you only see his eyes most of the times and he has very few lines, you can feel the intensity of his situation. Expand
Compi24Jul 23, 2017
In this tenth feature-length film from director Christopher Nolan, this particular filmgoer is delivered one of the most complicated theatre-going endeavors I've had the pleasure of experiencing in recent memory. For, what I believed startedIn this tenth feature-length film from director Christopher Nolan, this particular filmgoer is delivered one of the most complicated theatre-going endeavors I've had the pleasure of experiencing in recent memory. For, what I believed started out as a seemingly by-the-numbers triptych of wartime survival that any other director could have just as easily produced, quickly and mesmerizingly contorted itself into something much more unique. Much more unconventional. Much more Nolan-esque. I won't spoil what the moment/technique is, but, boy, did this element prove me wrong and completely negate all ill feelings I had towards the first half-hour or so. Indeed, once "Dunkirk" shows its truly genius hand, it really takes off. From here on in, the movie becomes infinitely more interesting, immeasurably more fun to watch, and eons more rewarding than most other films one will see in the current motion picture market. This masterstroke technique -- which, again, I can't spoil here because of how simply masterful it really is -- is a testament to how intelligent Nolan treats his audience and, in that, he once again proves himself as one of the most valuable filmmakers in the game. This technique, amongst many others, (such as the beautiful performances, images, effects, and score work from Hans Zimmer) ultimately renders "Dunkirk" into the strong rebuke that it is. A rebuke levied against the bow of the belief that war movies are simply "old hat," "tired," or "been there, done that." "Hold my Earl Grey," says Nolan. And by God did he let us have it with this gem. I laughed, I choked up, I gasped, and I smiled from ear to ear many, many times. Truly, a cinematic experience worth seeing (in any theater, but -- honestly -- see it in a big, loud, cutting edge one) and one that I simply will not forget. Ever. Expand
MattBrady99Jul 26, 2017
"Home."

"Home."

You can love, hate or call him overrated all you want, but you've got to give respect to Christopher Nolan for going this old school. Nothing like cardboard props for background soldiers, inspired by the silence films era with little dialogue, and going full practical. The attention to details with scope and intensity making the overall experience harsh, but masterfully well made. Nolan has made something extraordinary and proven why he's the best living film maker working today. All of his movies have this grand scale to it, but never feels hollow. Watching "Dunkirk" on the IMAX screen was such a overwhelming and frightening experience, but perfectly captures the terror of war those men faced. It got me pretty emotional towards the end. Gunshots sound like actual gunshots and the sound of bomber planes are like something out of a horror film. Every bullet that whizzed by made everyone in the cinema flinch (including me). It's one of the best movies I've seen so far this year. I would go as far to say it's the best war film in recent years & Nolan filmography.

My ears are still ringing from it, as I couldn't hear all that well after it ended.

The cinematography, the sound, writing, and direction are on so many levels of amazing. With Han Zimmer score being his best work yet. Being both phenomenal and hunting, leaving me cold at times. It's no surprise all the tense parts are through Hans score who puts weight to these difficult moments in the movie. And it's only the sound of a ticking watch. I've found new respect for Harry Styles after this. Because he actually delivered a pretty good performance. Very impressive since it's he's first role and had a lot of screen time than I expected. Same thing with Fionn Whitehead, who's plays another young solider was also fantastic. The rest of the cast like: Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, and Cillian Murphy were all terrific. Not a weak performance in the movie. Now people have been complaining about the lack of information with these characters or no real main character to feel for them. I really don't think these people understand that isn't the point of the film. You understand these characters just by actions and decisions. All of this is based on how they act in a situation. No corny or cliché dialogue. It's visual story telling at it's finest. No has time talk about their back story or how they need to get back home to their wife and kids. The time is ticking, the enemy is getting closer, and your stuck with complete strangers on foreign land. The film doesn't have protagonist and antagonist.

You never see the Germans in person, just bomber planes. It makes they presence more scary and tense every time another attack happens. Overall Rating: Please do yourself a favor and see this in IMAX. It really adds to the experience.
maxsonlee2Jul 26, 2017
It was definitely worth watching in IMAX. Don't miss out on the IMAX experience, because this movie is really intense so watching it in the big screen is a must. I think some people just don't get the main intention of this film. The movie isIt was definitely worth watching in IMAX. Don't miss out on the IMAX experience, because this movie is really intense so watching it in the big screen is a must. I think some people just don't get the main intention of this film. The movie is about the situation,the lack of dialogue is not needed because the film wants you to get that immersive feeling. Visually, I think it's Nolan's best looking film right next to Interstellar thanks to the beautiful cinematography. The sound design is just amazing, and the soundtrack is great as well. I really like what Nolan did with the story which consists of three settings..the land, the sea, and the air. Some thought it was confusing, but I thought it was brilliant and well executed in the end. Expand
FrogadJul 22, 2017
Definitely deserving of praise, a realistic and sombre portrayal of war that I feel most accurately captures the mood, it knows when to go all out and when to stop thus giving a simplistic yet harrowing portrayal. Although you don't know muchDefinitely deserving of praise, a realistic and sombre portrayal of war that I feel most accurately captures the mood, it knows when to go all out and when to stop thus giving a simplistic yet harrowing portrayal. Although you don't know much about the characters backstories after following them on screen for a short while I already began rooting for them, impeccably acted even on his debut Harry Styles did a great job.

Despite not being character driven some of the events are very emotional and there were a few moments where I was on the verge of tears and others where people in the cinema audibly spoke out in reaction to the events.

The film was beautifully shot, it looked so real but the sound was amazing, every bullet, every shell dropping made me move closer to the edge of my seat, my heart was racing from start to finish thanks to Nolan's masterful use of tension which was aided by Hans Zimmer's powerful score. The metronomic ticking sound does not let up. One think I must say is that this film is more of a cinematic experience than a film, part of the magic will be lost on home viewings unless one has a great sound system.

10/10 is the least this deserves, it was deeply patriotic yet showed the dark sides of war and how men can turn on each other. Almost every aspect of this film seemed carefully crafted and intentional. Also in some of the scenes the camera work makes this feel as though the viewer themselves is a character in the events which is impressive how a 2D film is more immersive than any 3D film I've ever seen. An audiovisual treat and a real attack on the senses, brilliant.
MaxsonJul 23, 2017
I think Dunkirk might be the most intense film this year, and definitely Nolan's most intense work. The sound design is incredible, and the cinematography is beautiful and striking. When you go in to see this movie, don't expect it to be likeI think Dunkirk might be the most intense film this year, and definitely Nolan's most intense work. The sound design is incredible, and the cinematography is beautiful and striking. When you go in to see this movie, don't expect it to be like Saving Private Ryan because that film focuses on the brutality of war. Dunkirk focuses more on survival and desperation. Dunkirk is very different compared to other war movies in my opinion. This film will be a strong contender for the Oscars. Probably for Best Picture and Best Sound Mixing. Expand
smodcastJul 22, 2017
This movie is kickass. It does an incredible job in its first opening minutes introducing you to what you are about to experience and then doesn't let up till the closing act. Relentless is the word. And Harrowing. A gorgeous piece ofThis movie is kickass. It does an incredible job in its first opening minutes introducing you to what you are about to experience and then doesn't let up till the closing act. Relentless is the word. And Harrowing. A gorgeous piece of cinematic craftsmanship with clever Nolan-esque editing to boot. Expand
sicilia013Jul 21, 2017
Masterpiece in all his nature, Nolan did it again, a beautiful and shocking film, if there are bad reviews, don't listen, there's always paid media or just haters.
MasterRileyJul 21, 2017
Dunkirk is an incredible and authentic war film about the true story of 400,000 allied soldiers being trapped on the beaches of Northern France, surrounded by the powerful German army. As time runs out and the Germans slowly approach, theDunkirk is an incredible and authentic war film about the true story of 400,000 allied soldiers being trapped on the beaches of Northern France, surrounded by the powerful German army. As time runs out and the Germans slowly approach, the allied soldiers come closer to their fate. However what makes the story so great is the miracle that occurs shortly after; when innocent British civilians voluntarily boat over to the beaches rescuing the allied soldiers. In the end they were able to rescue over 300,000 men, making it one of the most miraculous and important moments in human history.

Going into the movie you will most likely already have a basic idea of what happened. What is more important about Dunkirk is how the film uses cinematography, music, characters, and so on to interpret what actually happened. And I can confidently say that the movie executes all these elements masterfully. I had the privilege of seeing Dunkirk in true IMAX 70mm film, a first for me. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had at the cinema. My favourite moment was the opening shot; it goes from blackness to completely filling up that massive screen with crystal clear image quality. I was immediately blown away by that opening shot of the allied soldiers walking down the street. The amazing sound punched in when the first few gun shots fired off; so loud and lifelike they startled me as if I were actually there. The entire movie was shot on film and over 70 percent was done on IMAX cameras. It fits the movie perfectly as the large picture size compliments the spectacle of the beach and ocean environments. If there is one movie you should see in true IMAX 70mm film, it is this one.

Christopher Nolan has done an immaculate job with depicting the war and turning it into a cinematic experience. He chose not to use blood and gore; but rather focuses on elements such as time running out, fear, and claustrophobia to emphasize how terrible the war was. This gives his film a unique tone, making it stand out when compared to other WW2 films. The cinematography is gorgeous; a lot of tracking and closeup shots are used to make you feel like you are in the horrific events with the soldiers. Specifically during boat sinking scenes; when soldiers are drowning the camera will go underwater with them and make the viewer become disoriented much like the characters are. Hans Zimmer's score is simple yet effective, using a ticking clock to emphasize that time is running out. And the other tones he uses help to effectively add to the tension of each scene. The film is also primarily shot on the exact same beach where the real events took place. Many of the original boats and planes from the war were also used for filming. And to avoid using a lot of CGI, cardboard cut outs of soldiers were used to give the illusion of a massive army on the beaches. Christopher Nolan made the movie as real as it could be, and it definitely pays off when you finally sit down to watch it. There is never one point in the movie where you will doubt its authenticity.

The characters of the film take a back seat to the war, as that is what it is really about. However I still found myself quite invested in the main character's journeys throughout the movie. The movie has a unique element to it, as it actually tells 3 stories in 1; a week long story on the beaches, a day long story on the ocean, and an hour long story in the air. Each story focuses on a few key characters and we get to see how they all collide with each other at the end of the movie. So while the war itself is the main point of the movie, you will still find yourself rooting for specific characters as they are all interesting and relatable. In my opinion, Dunkirk is a masterpiece. It is a great reminder of the brave men that fought for our freedom in the war, and is a fantastic cinematic experience.
IANMOUNTFORDJul 22, 2017
I believe this film to be the greatest piece of cinema of all time. If you wish to experience,as close as is possible without being there, what battle actually feels like then I recommend you go and see this epic film. Gung-ho, it is not.I believe this film to be the greatest piece of cinema of all time. If you wish to experience,as close as is possible without being there, what battle actually feels like then I recommend you go and see this epic film. Gung-ho, it is not. Heart wrenching, it is not. Hero worship, it is not. Sensationalised blood and gore, it is not... True bravery and fear, it most definitely IS... Realistic, no other film comes close. If I had to sum it up in one word it would have to be "Intense"......Europe has the audacity to be demanding Billions of pounds for the UK to leave the EU. Show this film to those people in Brussels and it may make them stop and realise what a debt they ALL owe to Great Britain for the sacrifices it made in both wars in order to liberate the continent of Europe. Expand
Muskrat147Jul 26, 2017
Dunkirk, Nolan's latest entry in his expansive filmography, is as powerful and important as one would expect. The story - 400,000 men stranded on the beaches of the city, with the Nazi's slowly pushing in and surrounding - makes for anDunkirk, Nolan's latest entry in his expansive filmography, is as powerful and important as one would expect. The story - 400,000 men stranded on the beaches of the city, with the Nazi's slowly pushing in and surrounding - makes for an incredibly tense thrill ride. The entire film feels like a ticking time-bomb, ready to burst in a shower of flames and death at any moment. The characters - all of whom we learn nothing about - are, surprisingly, very interesting. You automatically feel for each and every one of them, and the thought of "lack of characterization" never comes to mind. The realistic, gripping action rivals that of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, Hans Zimmer's score is unbelievably effective, the cinematography is breathtaking, and the direction is flawless. Dunkirk is not just a film, but an experience, and one that every history buff - and Nolan fan - must see. Expand
eagleeyevikingJul 22, 2017
Complementing an appropriately sombre atmosphere with visceral action (best seen in IMAX) as well as plenty of haunting imagery, Christopher Nolan’s masterful Dunkirk is an “on the moment” war film that works. The cast is universallyComplementing an appropriately sombre atmosphere with visceral action (best seen in IMAX) as well as plenty of haunting imagery, Christopher Nolan’s masterful Dunkirk is an “on the moment” war film that works. The cast is universally excellent, the tension palpable and the excellence in cinematography is unprecedented. Personally, I can see this becoming an all time classic. Expand
gxm143Jul 26, 2017
A breathtakingly excellent film, riveting from beginning to end. I only had one criticism. Nolan should have used CGI to show more soldiers on the beach; you never had the sense that there were hundreds of thousands of men there. But most ofA breathtakingly excellent film, riveting from beginning to end. I only had one criticism. Nolan should have used CGI to show more soldiers on the beach; you never had the sense that there were hundreds of thousands of men there. But most of the drama is close up and personal, and it is exceptionally well done. Expand
JorgeLestreJul 24, 2017
Christopher Nolan continues to be one of the most fascinating directors in the world and he does so by putting himself deep into the matter of his movies.
djniceyJul 24, 2017
Its massively over-rated by the critics. That said it is a very good movie, just not the masterpiece of cinema that it is purported to be by some.

The story is epic and is well scripted and very moving, it makes you really appreciate how lucky we are to live in this day and age and how differently people had it a short while ago. The action sequences are taut and enjoyable, the story is believable throughout and the characterisation is very good, there aren't any over the top superhero type characters, just ordinary people being thrown into extraordinary circumstances.

It does however have something missing that makes it miss the mark, it didn't live up to expectations for me, maybe I was expecting a Forest Gump or some unique quality to set it apart from the multitude of other war movies. In years to come I don't think this will be seen as a classic.

The sound was also horrible in some places, I say sound rather than music as it is just horrible wailing noises over and over and over, its done to increase the tension but it didn't work for me, by the end of the movie it had become very overused and a distraction more than anything else. Great film, everyone should watch it to appreciate how lucky we are, but not a Classic IMHO.
RyanTheN3RDJul 23, 2017
The movie creates tension insanely well keeping you gripped in and convincing you that you'd rather piss yourself than miss a second. The only time when the movie didn't have me fully engaged was Harry Styles showed up and for 30 seconds IThe movie creates tension insanely well keeping you gripped in and convincing you that you'd rather piss yourself than miss a second. The only time when the movie didn't have me fully engaged was Harry Styles showed up and for 30 seconds I was like "oh this is a movie". Great action, great sound, great direction and great editing. I've seen 20 movies this year, this is my second favorite so far. Expand
HTGamerAug 26, 2017
Dunkirk is a great war movie, possibly one of the best ever made, and it actually shows respect for the victims of the war, the nameless soldiers, with no Rambo-style shenanigans.

The movie is about the evacuation of more than 300,000

The movie is about the evacuation of more than 300,000 English soldiers who got trapped at Dunkirk during the early stages of World War 2, and shows how the UK managed to save most of the stranded men through enlisting the help of many civilian boats rather than large warships (which got routinely bombed and sunk by the enemy, anyway). Despite the final outcome being well known, the movie builds suspense through great cinematography, editing and music, and never becomes boring.

The story is presented in a non linear way through three interweaving perspectives, in the air, land and sea. There are a few characters who get more screentime than others but there is no main protagonist, and little dialogue, because the movie isn't about an individual hero. It's about the thousands of men who are anxious to escape from Dunkirk alive while waiting for help from their country.

It's obvious that characters can't develop meaningfully in such a movie and it surprises me that critics complain about this, because, who cares if Tommy has a girlfriend back home? There is no place for personal stories in the fields of battle, all that matters during enemy bombings and air raids is to survive. One curious choice is that the movie constantly avoids to explicitly name the Nazis or even just the Germans, referring to them as "the enemy" instead. Nazi soldiers don't even show up on camera, rather they are heard shooting or just hinted at, maybe because the director wanted to emphasize the anxiety of soldiers to escape from the enemy, any enemy, not just the Nazis. I also liked the inclusion of Winston Churchill's famous "we shall fight... we shall never surrender" speach in the newspaper in the end, read by one of the evacuated soldiers.

All in all, Dunkirk is another great Christopher Nolan movie.
DarkNight_Oct 30, 2017
Very cool movie
He brought together war and drama together and that is not the case in other films
It is also a silent film and a powerful event and gigantic music
McGillotineJul 21, 2017
Within every world war 2 film there is a need for the director to paint the second world war as a **** war and indeed it was, the most destructive conflicit on earth, millions dead both on battlefield and homefront, and if you soak up enoughWithin every world war 2 film there is a need for the director to paint the second world war as a **** war and indeed it was, the most destructive conflicit on earth, millions dead both on battlefield and homefront, and if you soak up enough propaganda from both films and history class was a true battle between good and evil. Nolan in the beautifully directed Dunkirk wastes no time at all getting to the heart of what he believes truely matters in a war film and that is war itself in a mature film that finally treats the audience as intelligent people by not wasting time with characters who droll on about how bad the war is (which isnt always as a bad thing) but instead cutting the proberbial bullshi*t and giving the audience three intense perspective from air, sea and land as Nolan illustrates how things move from bad to much worse.

Now in this review im not really going to talk about the acting in the film, because as a far as character goes there isnt much, which is perfect in the case of this film, hell some characters who last throughout the entire film are nameless. By not creating individual identities for each of these character they ultimately become blank templates for the audience to latch their own personalities onto, which is great because you feel every heart drop, every pound of terror becuase you do not know what is going to happen next.

The writing in this film is of a gold standard. When finishing a film im always quick to point out stupid decisions made by characters in a film, from walking straight into death to straight up making the most baffling choices possible because plot. However Dunkirk is great in creating rational decisions in an otherwise irrational world, for example people wanting to stay above deck so they dont drown when their boat is sunk by german u-boats. This greatly helps the progression of the plot as i can connect more so with the situation at dunkirk as a whole rather then a few people who were at dunkirk.

Working hand in hand with stunning visuals is the soundtack by hanz zimmer whose eary music deliever on building a tension filled atmosphere in which from the first beat we can tell something is going to go terribly wrong before the threats comes into focus serving as a testiment to great filmaking of the 21st century. Practical effects do not go unnoticed too with a lack of CGI serving a refreshing idea that helps deleiever both scope and realism to a war genre that has been constantly oversatuated with special effect to make war look as awsome as possible.

Go see dunkirk if you are a lover of history or a lover of film and you will not be disapointed.
npradana96Jul 23, 2017
Dunkirk is a WW II movie with less dialogue, but so intense. Just watch Dunkirk on IMAX then you're gonna feel this movie want to be. Plot, sound, and cinematography in this movie are outstanding!
Hawkeye_LoriJul 26, 2017
Considering his body of work, this movie is only middling, in my opinion and not worthy of a 94. There is no emotional connection with the characters except perhaps 1 or 2. The timing linkages between the 3 stories was brilliant. I wouldConsidering his body of work, this movie is only middling, in my opinion and not worthy of a 94. There is no emotional connection with the characters except perhaps 1 or 2. The timing linkages between the 3 stories was brilliant. I would wait to see this when is released later. Save you money. Expand
BigDegs29Jul 24, 2017
Dunkirk is more a visual and auditory treat than a great movie. It tells its story not through dialogue, but largely through powerful visuals: the anguished and fearful looks on the faces of the characters, the hopeless waiting on theDunkirk is more a visual and auditory treat than a great movie. It tells its story not through dialogue, but largely through powerful visuals: the anguished and fearful looks on the faces of the characters, the hopeless waiting on the beaches by masses of people, the frustration of the fighter pilot, the panic of the drowning, and so on.

While it kept me entertained, I think most people are heaping acclaim on the movie simply for this novel way of approaching things. To me, doing things a new way does not automatically a masterpiece make. For some reason, the director unnecessarily played around with the timeline. You'll see a flip from daytime to nighttime and back again between scenes. I think the director dispensed with a coherent timeline in favor of portraying a certain emotional feeling, but it doesn't always work well.

As visual storytelling, it does a great job. On any other level, it's simply decent. If you're interested, go see it in theaters. Unless you have a good sound system, you'd be missing out on half the experience otherwise.
DukeSilverJul 23, 2017
The movie is more of a visual retelling of the events that occurred in Dunkirk rather than a story that wastes time on cliche love stories or nauseating character tropes. The movie shows you how the events of Dunkirk were just the beginningThe movie is more of a visual retelling of the events that occurred in Dunkirk rather than a story that wastes time on cliche love stories or nauseating character tropes. The movie shows you how the events of Dunkirk were just the beginning of WWII, instead of telling you. Christopher Nolan is one of the few directors capable of understanding that showing is almost always better than telling, and it is apparent in every minute of the movie. Expand
sr4151_Jul 21, 2017
I'm speechless. Dunkirk is a masterfully crafted film. To make such a large scale film with such precise level of detail is Nolan's greatest achievement to date. The acting is superb all across the board (Styles is the biggest surprise here)I'm speechless. Dunkirk is a masterfully crafted film. To make such a large scale film with such precise level of detail is Nolan's greatest achievement to date. The acting is superb all across the board (Styles is the biggest surprise here) though Rylance stands out (possible nominations). Zimmer's soundtrack guides the pace of the film, and it's both harrowing and beautiful. The editing and cinematography are stellar as the film covers a wide range of scenes: from areal battle views to underwater, drowning scenes. Nolan is able to make us feel as though we are there, confused and terrified of what is to come; it doesn't even need to show you the enemy or bloody scenes...
I will say it's a stressful film; it's grim and dull. I laughed once and it was of irony. It's not a film for everyone, and it's not as fun to watch as many of Nolan's other films.
ClariseSamuelsSep 4, 2017
Dunkirk is a WWII film about the drama of Operation Dynamo. But it is actually a film about wartime courage, and even more importantly, it is about wartime fear. Not just average fear, but the kind of fear that shocks every nerve in theDunkirk is a WWII film about the drama of Operation Dynamo. But it is actually a film about wartime courage, and even more importantly, it is about wartime fear. Not just average fear, but the kind of fear that shocks every nerve in the system and threatens to cancel out reality, replacing normalcy with an absurd void; the kind of fear that comes dive bombing out of the sky with a screaming terror that can deafen the ears and jar the soul.

The stars of this film are unknown actors, in keeping with the notion of the unknown soldier, the anonymous young men who were fed like fodder into a faceless, wartime death machine. They are young men with nondescript features, strangely bearing a resemblance to each other, as if they were all related to each other—brothers, sons, and cousins—all facing a grim reaper who cares nothing for their hopes, dreams, and aspirations, and who robs them of their individuality as well as their future. The movie casting does not draw attention to the fact that smaller, supporting roles are filled with big-time names. As you watch the film, a certain familiarity starts to clue you in. Is that Kenneth Branagh? Benedict Cumberbatch? Tom Hardy? Mark Rylance? They are hiding under officers' naval uniforms and aviation gear. They do not want to steal the spotlight from the cast that is playing the most important role in the film—the anonymous soldier on the beach who falls into a crumpled-up heap every time the German dive bombers make another sweep across the sky. This is the eternal essence of war—horror, desperation, hopelessness, and death.

Mark Rylance is the quiet, bland, and unassuming Mr. Dawson, one of the civilians who has in May of 1940 answered a frantic call from prime minister Winston Churchill. Hundreds of thousands of Allied soldiers are stranded on the French shore of Dunkirk, surrounded by the Germans, and they are close but yet so far from the White Cliffs of Dover and home. Churchill has ordered the requisitioning of small fishing boats, launches, pleasure craft and yachts to make the treacherous journey across the English Channel and take on as many soldiers as they can possibly fit in their modest vessels. (Many of the boats were requisitioned by the British Navy and were manned by experienced personnel; some were helmed by the private owners.) These vessels could navigate the shallow waters that the large military warships could not. The small boats, known as the Little Ships of Dunkirk, comprised about 850 private boats that sailed from Ramsgate, England to Dunkirk. Mr. Dawson, a private civilian, is among them, and the bravery of this and other insignificant sea captains like him is fiercely heroic and yet strangely unremarkable. The private citizens who volunteered are just average people doing what they have to do. Mr. Dawson has nerves of steel, and he is determined and uncannily courageous; nothing can force him to turn back. Although this is not intended to be a feel-good movie, the epic sight of hundreds of watercraft emerging from the mists of the sea to effectively rescue 338,000 men trapped on a WWII beach is nothing less than cinematic history. Director Christopher Nolan has made a WWII movie like no other.
Fabian-GonzaloAug 4, 2017
masterpiece of movie, it has everything, very good history with great realism, visual effects, sound environment, physics, story telling, acting.... Nolan did it again my friend, what an amazing director...
decourcyAug 6, 2017
I almost never give a 10, I am not a 10 or 0 kind of reviewer. This is simply one of the best movies I have ever seen. There is very little dialogue, and I had thought physical acting was a thing of the past; not so, Nolan brought it backI almost never give a 10, I am not a 10 or 0 kind of reviewer. This is simply one of the best movies I have ever seen. There is very little dialogue, and I had thought physical acting was a thing of the past; not so, Nolan brought it back with people like Tom Hardy. Intensity beyond belief. Easily one of the most emotionally impacting movie ever made. Expand
FuturedirectorAug 2, 2017
Christopher Nolan's masterful filmography gets totally blessed with this clever, well-acted and truly satisfying spectacle that gets really close to the real fact.
Supahbanana56Nov 27, 2017
This is a great movie, and all its fails make up for its beautiful perspectives. The different people show the different perspective and jobs during the war. Even the actors do a perfect job of portraying the people who they are. However,This is a great movie, and all its fails make up for its beautiful perspectives. The different people show the different perspective and jobs during the war. Even the actors do a perfect job of portraying the people who they are. However, even though it may be confusing at first, Dunkirk really does win one of the best movies this year. Expand
michaeloliveiraAug 2, 2017
Incrível. É o tipo de filme que prende a atenção do espectador do início ao fim. Uma combinação perfeita de bela fotografia, sonoridades impactantes e atuações cativantes.
CHEENYUSAug 2, 2017
At first, I have to say something to people, which have problems with loud sounds:
Don`t watch this movie.
Don`t watch this movie.
The runtime of 100 minutes is filled with noises as well as with stressfull situations. And that`s exactly why it`s not just a typical movie about war with any kind of patriotism or embellishment. The focus is clearly on presenting the harshness of suriving in an area full of death and despair. As I already said, the runtime of this movie is onyl at 100 minutes, 100 extremely thrilling and rousing minutes.
It`s one of those movies you have to watch in cinema. Watching it at home on your average TV is probably not even half the experiene you can get there.
Christopher Nolan made again with "Dunkirk" a fascinating masterpiece, which is really hard to compare with his previous movies. There is pretty much nothing to criticize about it, just watch it in cinema, if you don`t have problems with loud sounds.
JFRuiterAug 10, 2017
This movie is great. Even if you miss some of the film, you can jump straight in and figure out what is happening. The film features plenty of action and showcases the fight for survival and the attempt of rescue. Although the characters doThis movie is great. Even if you miss some of the film, you can jump straight in and figure out what is happening. The film features plenty of action and showcases the fight for survival and the attempt of rescue. Although the characters do not develop much, it is a good thing for it highlights the fact that they are all soldiers; they are all going through the same tough situation. Very thrilling. Expand
Lukmaster42Aug 1, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its fantastic. A complete masterpiece, which makes you feel tense, and static, and nervous, making you want to see more and more,and to see more things about the story and the characters, which are fantastic! from a bunch of soldiers in a beach, to a soldier in an airplane defending innocent peoplle, it manages to keep you entertained for 1 hour and 46 minutes. Plus, mentioning the ending is crucial, as the scene in which Tom Hardy gets off his plane, burns it, and just stands there, waiting for his fate, it is just such a powerful scene, that makes you feel like watching a Dark Night film. In summary, Christopher Nolan is a master, definitley every film he makes is destined to greatness, but it still continues to surprise us. This film is amazing, it doesnt bores you for a second, and until it ends, you feel greatness itself growing through your body, and the way the three stories combine is just magical! With a great cast of actors (Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh...) that make the experience even better, Dunkirk, makes up a great set for the big screen. "10 / 10". Expand
EbertJrAug 20, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The last great movie about WWII in the modern era was "Saving Private Ryan" and in my opinion this movie joins that elite company.

Nolan's attention to detail is present and up to its usual high standard, but what he also captured was the sense of isolation of those trapped Soldiers. They were trapped on a beach, surrounded by an enemy who was seemingly attacking at will, leaving not a single safe place to hide--not even the ships coming to rescue them. Such situations push men to their limits, showing their true character, and such character wasn't always good.

I serve in my country's armed forces and I have deployed into harm's way so I think that made me more sensitive that these men may have been Soldiers but they were still people doing whatever they could to survive such desperate times.

I will be very surprised if this movie is forgotten come award season.
aaronjtaitJul 21, 2017
Wowsers. This is an amazing cinematic experience. Nolan tries to go some way towards showing the confusion, horror and madness of war. One of his best.
archit18Jul 21, 2017
In 2005 Nolan reinvented the SUPERHERO Movie Genre with Batman Begins (and more so with The Dark Knight in 2008). He did wonders with 2014’s Interstellar (despite some flaws), Now we are in 2017 with yet another game changing ChristopherIn 2005 Nolan reinvented the SUPERHERO Movie Genre with Batman Begins (and more so with The Dark Knight in 2008). He did wonders with 2014’s Interstellar (despite some flaws), Now we are in 2017 with yet another game changing Christopher Nolan Movie – DUNKIRK, The Movie Title as well as its history might be a mystery to many except people from Britain or France or some history buffs. It was something new to me; the only thing that attracted me to this project was Nolan.
I am overjoyed to say that I was able to catch this movie before it’s official release in India and was blown way with the ambitions this movie has, From the opening scene you’re on the beaches of Dunkirk with the 4,00,000 soldiers. There are no front and centre characters in the movie, it is not a movie about that but it is a movie about their struggle to reach Home despite the fact they could actually see it but couldn’t reach it because more often than not whenever they tried, they died. Land (1 Week) , Sea (1 Day) and Air (1 Hour) are three intercutting stories that take place. This style of Nolan really works because of his direction and Lee Smith who did the editing. The way they cut to the 3 different stories is perfect; everything works the way they want to. I won’t say too much about the whole story of the movie because one should experience this in theatres.
Dunkirk was shot with approx. 75% through IMAX cameras & yes it was worth it. Hoyte van Hoytema is The Cinematographer of Dunkirk Movie that did an incredible job to capture some GORGEOUS shots; he with Nolan made it possible for the audience to be immersed when the action was in the air with Spitfires. This movie deserves to be seen in the best possible theatre you can go to.
Some people might have an opinion that a movie needs to make us really care about characters so that we are able to feel what they feel, If you are one of them this movie doesn’t has that. It doesn’t shows you Soldiers talking about them having a family or a child to make us relate to them but it flows with a strong yet a simple idea which is for a Human to reach Home. Dunkirk’s cast includes some famous actors of Britain and some newcomers. Everyone does Justice to his role; everyone embodies the best one can to be a soldier in pursuit to SURVIVE. Among many The Shivering Soldier (Cillian Murphy) to Farrier (Tom Hardy) to Tommy (Fionn Whitehead) and also Alex (Harry Styles) impressed me with their acting.
Finally coming to the score, as always Hanz Zimmer knocks it out of the park with yet another moving and suspense filled music that instrumental from the start of Dunkirk. The Ticking Clock sound makes this movie an edge of the seat thriller. Can’t say enough about the score it is amazing. Thus Nolan redefines this Genre as well of which we will see in the upcoming movies with this Genre. Dunkirk is brilliant might be Nolan’s best after The Dark Knight. A Masterpiece in any reality.
DiwieKiwieJul 21, 2017
Saw this movie on 70 mm film on wednesday. We don't have IMAX where I live unfortunately. But nonetheless it was still a majestic experience. This is without a doubt the greatest cinematic experience I've had. The scope was big and the soundSaw this movie on 70 mm film on wednesday. We don't have IMAX where I live unfortunately. But nonetheless it was still a majestic experience. This is without a doubt the greatest cinematic experience I've had. The scope was big and the sound was deafening without losing clarity(they have one of the best soundsystems in that cinema in my country). I wasn't really prepared for this movie. It's unlike any other Nolan film before or even war movie. No grand speeches, no politics, no flagwaving, no propaganda. Just survival, nothing more, nothing less. It's all about the experience. You're in there with the anonymous soldiers. You don't have time to have heartfelt conversations while you're being torpedoed, bombed and shot at. It's all about the terrifying, unrelenting suspense that never lets go. This is Cinema at it's finest. Go see it on the biggest and loudest cinema available! Expand
flash246Jul 22, 2017
One of the most tense movies I've ever seen. Nolan does it again with incredible cinematography and sound mixing. Watching it in IMAX was an amazing experience. Whether its the siren on the German Stuka or the constant ticking soundOne of the most tense movies I've ever seen. Nolan does it again with incredible cinematography and sound mixing. Watching it in IMAX was an amazing experience. Whether its the siren on the German Stuka or the constant ticking sound throughout the movie, the overall sound was simply amazing. Expand
ShahFaceJul 21, 2017
what a fantastic movie.definitely best movie of the year. Unlike anything I've ever seen and I mean it. See this in the biggest screen and best sound possible. Everything was just done to perfection especially the editing and sound design.what a fantastic movie.definitely best movie of the year. Unlike anything I've ever seen and I mean it. See this in the biggest screen and best sound possible. Everything was just done to perfection especially the editing and sound design. The incoming german planes and gunfire were truly terrifying. Also, to people who said this has no emotion I was god damn emotional by the end which was accompanied by Zimmer's amazing score. Im still shaking from what I saw. Expand
velmaxJul 21, 2017
Masterpiece film making. Nolan has created a technical masterpiece that throws the audience into the dread their witnessing. Brilliant sound mixing and orchestration by Hans zimmer, amazing cinematography and just a flawless film.
therealevertonJul 21, 2017
Simply amazing. Good lord it is harsh, of course, but it is bloody amazing. Very well shot, the tension is built up magnificently and it really does make you feel the desperation. No film is perfect, you just get the best you can and this isSimply amazing. Good lord it is harsh, of course, but it is bloody amazing. Very well shot, the tension is built up magnificently and it really does make you feel the desperation. No film is perfect, you just get the best you can and this is proper film making.

Honestly, had a tear. If you can IMAX this do so.
EleniSpelmenJul 23, 2017
All I want to say to everyone who read it and who didn't like the movie maybe as much as they wanted it - watch this movie AGAIN! Give it a second chance and it will blow your mind how good it is at the second time. Christopher Nolan deservesAll I want to say to everyone who read it and who didn't like the movie maybe as much as they wanted it - watch this movie AGAIN! Give it a second chance and it will blow your mind how good it is at the second time. Christopher Nolan deserves an Oscar just based off of the timeline he used in Dunkirk. That was a genius way of telling the story. And you get it only after the second viewing. The first movie ever when you watch it again and you see not just a few new things - you see 50% new things. And understand that story was so much bigger than you thought. To everyone - watch this movie again and you understand why critics love it so much and what is so cool about this movie. Expand
uejaz86Jul 22, 2017
Without giving anything away I'll give you my verdict:

For me this is like the history lesson I always wanted at school but never ever got. This movie is not just something so incredibly spectacular, it's a movie for the ages.
imthenoobJul 26, 2017
From the opening scene alone, My heart was pounding and I was on the edge of my seat. This is the emotion that I managed to hold through out the entire movie. Dunkirk totally captured my interest and everything else just kind of faded away.From the opening scene alone, My heart was pounding and I was on the edge of my seat. This is the emotion that I managed to hold through out the entire movie. Dunkirk totally captured my interest and everything else just kind of faded away. The way that Nolan told a story with so very few spoken words, Capturing the broad spectrum of emotion that these soldiers went through on the beaches of Dunkirk. It's absolutely mesmerizing. If he doesn't win the oscars for best director and picture, I'll stop watching them. Expand
Brent_MarchantJul 21, 2017
How refreshing it is to see a big-budget action-adventure film that truly lives up to all of its pre-release hype. This expertly made World War II saga presents a stirring account of this epic historic event, with a superb, ever-suspensefulHow refreshing it is to see a big-budget action-adventure film that truly lives up to all of its pre-release hype. This expertly made World War II saga presents a stirring account of this epic historic event, with a superb, ever-suspenseful narrative that's backed up by masterful cinematography, editing, special effects and sound technology, as well as an edgy, skillfully applied original score. What's more, unlike many other war movies, this offering effectively depicts man at both his worst and his best in the same film, quite an accomplishment to be sure. Director Christopher Nolan has clearly knocked it out of the park with this one. Expand
TVJerryJul 25, 2017
This film revolves around a single event: the evacuation of British and Allied troops from the beach at Dunkirk during WWII. It happens in a mashup of 3 time spans: a week on the beach, a day on the English Channel and an hour in the sky.This film revolves around a single event: the evacuation of British and Allied troops from the beach at Dunkirk during WWII. It happens in a mashup of 3 time spans: a week on the beach, a day on the English Channel and an hour in the sky. This unique approach usually makes sense, but is rendered slightly confusing by the dialogue, which is often hard to decipher (the accents and the music mix). Still, director Christopher Nolan has crafted a masterpiece of epic cinema with a continually tense undertone. Several POVs provide the human angle, but it's less about personal endurance and more about desperate survival. The action scenes are less explicitly violent than "Saving Private Ryan" or "Hacksaw Ridge," but still manage to create cringeworthy moments. An enthralling approach to telling a war story. Expand
Rebecca31Jul 23, 2017
A movie that needs no introduction because I’m sure you’ve already heard all about it. So is it as incredibly brilliant as everyone’s saying? Absolutely. From the moment it starts you’ll be on the edge of your seat. The story, the charactersA movie that needs no introduction because I’m sure you’ve already heard all about it. So is it as incredibly brilliant as everyone’s saying? Absolutely. From the moment it starts you’ll be on the edge of your seat. The story, the characters and the constant foreboding music practically reaches out of the screen gripping you and doesn’t let go for the entire film. Christopher Nolan has established himself as a wonderful director and Dunkirk is a must see film. Don’t miss the chance to see it on the big screen, and if you get the chance to see it in 70mm then definitely take it.
A war movie depicting the events from three perspectives. You’re left in a constant state of dread, very much like the soldiers themselves. It also doesn’t go overboard with the violence, in fact there’s very little gore for a war movie but it’s just as terrifying. The tension never stops, never eases. Almost unbearable at times the suspenseful atmosphere is gut-wrenching. I’ve run out of words to describe how amazing Dunkirk is. There simply isn’t any more I can say, just go see it. And if you don’t believe me then you better see it anyway if nothing else but to prove me wrong. One of Nolan’s greatest creations, and it’s up there with the best war movies. Highly recommended.
RobBob99Jul 23, 2017
While I do believe this is Nolan's best movie to date, it's not necessarily my favorite. This is an achievement in filmmaking, especially in today's world. Very little dialogue is spoken, little to no character development is given, andWhile I do believe this is Nolan's best movie to date, it's not necessarily my favorite. This is an achievement in filmmaking, especially in today's world. Very little dialogue is spoken, little to no character development is given, and almost nothing is explained to the audience. Instead, he takes us through a story told visually in such a compelling and unique way. With Hans Zimmer's pounding score and a thunderous sound design, he transports us right in the event of Dunkirk that deservers to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Expand