Oscilloscope Pictures | Release Date: February 17, 2016
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 69 Ratings
Watch Now
Brent_MarchantMar 19, 2016
Despite some occasional pacing issues and a periodically under-explained back story, this gorgeously filmed clash-of-cultures film explores a variety of issues, from reverence for the environment to respect for other belief systems toDespite some occasional pacing issues and a periodically under-explained back story, this gorgeously filmed clash-of-cultures film explores a variety of issues, from reverence for the environment to respect for other belief systems to understanding the true nature of our place in the greater scheme of things. With elements reminiscent of "The Mission," "Apocalypse Now" and even "2001:A Space Odyssey," this unique production offers viewers an intriguing array of images and ideas, all framed within a backdrop of stunning black-and-white cinematography. While this may not be everyone's cup of tea, it's easy to see how this picture deservedly became one of 2015's Oscar nominations for best foreign language film. Expand
jojojojojojoFeb 18, 2016
Do yourself and favor and go see this movie.

Do yourself and favor and go see this movie.

Karamakate will take on a trip to discover what you've lost, to question your existences and numbness, Karamakate is the hero in this duality of myth and history, western civilization and amazon, dream and reality. It´s a psychedelic experience, ready to give you the most spiritual trip. Do you remember how to dream? what is to know? What's the difference between knowledge and wisdom?, and how teach or pass that information. It´s many thing and it´s none, but you won't be the same after watching it.
mvpoetiFeb 23, 2016
Most remarkable foreign film of 2016. Amazing cinematography, an almost mystic story that takes you to the depths of the unknown Amazon. Embrace of the Serpent, a trip back to the roots, is worth watching and highly recommended.
Benkoko11Feb 23, 2017
Never before has a film so carefully and honestly explored the decay of indigenous mysitcism and the chasm between knowledge and wisdom. What this black and white journey down the Amazon river reveals is that the repercussions of colonialismNever before has a film so carefully and honestly explored the decay of indigenous mysitcism and the chasm between knowledge and wisdom. What this black and white journey down the Amazon river reveals is that the repercussions of colonialism needn't spawn from callous hearts of men but resides in the very fabric of western thinking. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJun 23, 2016
Embrace of the Serpent brings so many things that I couldn't even explain what was even going on by the split of a second. A gem worth collecting and keeping.
netflicFeb 29, 2016
An unusual story that repeats itself 40 years later in Amazonian rainforest in the first half of the 20th century. It is loosely based on diaries of two scientists studying that region. The movie is shot mostly in black-and-white but veryAn unusual story that repeats itself 40 years later in Amazonian rainforest in the first half of the 20th century. It is loosely based on diaries of two scientists studying that region. The movie is shot mostly in black-and-white but very picturesque. Many aspects of this film are outstanding: casting, performance, cinematography. But the story-line is too bizarre and shamanistic. Expand
pendulum321Jun 30, 2016
Just been to see this movie with my wife, who loved it on lots of levels.
Just been to see this movie with my wife, who loved it on lots of levels.
I, on the other hand, thought it the most boring film I have ever seen. It's like Deliverance but without the tension, the action, or the music. Also, it is in BLACK and WHITE!!!
When my wife said she wanted to see this film, I thought "Oh well, at least its set in the Amazon rain forest so the visuals will be stunning. Er, no, It is in black and white and looks like Scotland on a wet October afternoon. There is almost no action, no sense at all that you're supposed to be in a jungle, not one shot of an exotic bird or a waterfall. After two tedious hours the guy finally takes a trip courtesy of the local shaman, and whoever filmed that scene has clearly never taken a hallucinogenic substance. They don't seem to have tried so much as a joint. If you are a woman you'll probably like this film, if you are a bloke, bang yourself over the head with something heavy instead, it'll be more satisfying and you can do it in colour. (And at least something will actually HAPPEN!!)
DirigiblePulpFeb 25, 2017
The dreamlike odyssey of this movie is important and tragic. It has revelation in its bones, not of profundity but of empathy. This movie is about more than the raping of entire cultures at the hands of colonialists and rubber barons, it'sThe dreamlike odyssey of this movie is important and tragic. It has revelation in its bones, not of profundity but of empathy. This movie is about more than the raping of entire cultures at the hands of colonialists and rubber barons, it's about the inescapable sadness in the human condition that results from an unfeeling universe. An entire culture torn asunder to be no more. One man, Karamakate, as its last shadow, barely able to remember even the most basic of his people's recipes, let alone the faces of those he loved. Doomed to be forgotten forever. It's not just the loss of homeland and trees but the loss of the spiritual side of nature and the planet around us. The reduction of things to "things."

As a last hurrah, Karamakate saves one white man by showing him the limits of his own imagination -- a last attempt at preserving what once was, what can still be.

Impeccable shot with black and white cinematography. Its purpose seems to be that the world has been blanked of color. Its meaning stripped down to its barest essentials.
LeZeeJun 24, 2016
In any world, the history keeps repeating itself.

In any world, the history keeps repeating itself.

It is one of the last films to I watch from the 2016 Oscars nominees. It was a Colombian production that represented the country in the 88th American Academy Awards. It had all the qualities to win that major international award, but lost the bet to 'Son of Saul'. In my perspective, after seeing all the five, no doubt, but this film's the real winner. The film was loosely based on the real occurrence that was written in the diaries of two scientists on their expedition into the Amazon's deep in search of something what intrigued the conflict between the two worlds.

It portrayed the beautiful Amazon in the black and white pictures and I loved it because, it recreated the world that was over 100 years ago. It would have not affected the viewers same if it was rendered in colour. It is awesome to see a film like this about the Amazon people after a very long time. Because prior to the 80s and 90s, there were plenty of African and South American exploration films made which rapidly reduced its number when comic book films became the frontrunner in the world cinema. So going back to the lost world was really an amazing experience that this film had given to me and you should not miss it as well.

It takes place in the first half of the 1900s that breaks into a two part narration. In the first, where a German scientist Theo, looks for a help from the last surviving young man from his tribe, Karamakate, to explore the jungle for the scientific research. In the second, 40 years later, an American scientist, Evans follows a similar kind of quest who once again seeks help from the aged Karamakate. When Karamakate realises their agenda, concerns for the peace and stability in the region, so goes for the measure that has to be taken.

"Ants like money. I do not. The taste is bad."

It was like lost in translation. During the invasion of the remaining parts of the South America in the Amazon basin on the Colombian side, how the both worlds suffered was the part of this narration and cultural collision was one of the main topics. Most of the film was shot alongside of the rivers Inirida and Varupes, especially the final scene location was so beautiful. The film concept was similar to the 'Anaconda 2', but there's no intense action-thriller, especially there's no fast and aggressive serpents in the act. The scientists are looking for a certain kind of plant which is considered sacred and protected by the Amazon tribes.

It was boring in the initial parts, because I did not know what to expect. So I just kept watching as whatever it was focused on. But during the end of the first act, I started to like it. Because it was not as complicated as I thought and it was not the art film like those without the plot and background score. So at the end of my watch, I'm very satisfied. The actors were stunning as the amazing Amazon basin is. Of them all, the 'Borgman' actor was the only familiar face to me.

It is a powerful film, with a bit of a documentary style presentation. The main theme was about the history repeating itself. In your lifetime if it repeats means a second chance to divert it from the possible future nuisance. So how the one who cares would reach and solve it is what this film was told. The film characters were brilliant and Karamakate will be remembered. A neatly narrated tale that will remain people's favourite for a very long. One of the films of the 2015 and of the Oscars nominees that nobody must miss it.

SagaciousJan 15, 2017
This film is totally mesmerizing, transporting the viewer to another world. One takes an almost mythical, shamanistic journey watching this film, mirrored in the story line of two Amazon explorers, each invoking the aid of a shaman to findThis film is totally mesmerizing, transporting the viewer to another world. One takes an almost mythical, shamanistic journey watching this film, mirrored in the story line of two Amazon explorers, each invoking the aid of a shaman to find the curative and mystical powers of an ancient plant. The black and white film was totally appropriate, adding to the sense of history the film alluded to of white explorers decades earlier. Curiously, it evoked images of films of Amazon tribes I had seen as a child in black and white movies on tv in the late 50's and early 60's. My only complaints were the literal translation of the foreign dialogue by someone obviously unfamiliar with the English idiom, which made it frequently border on pigeon English, though accidentally or perhaps even purposefully, it did add a bit to the mystical nature of the travels, trying to unravel the deeper significance of the characters' conversations. Also, the film unfortunately adhered to the age old paradigm of the White man's ignorance, in spite of his advanced civilization and the superior wisdom of the idigenous natives in spite of their primitive existence, which I find quite contrived, unoriginal and not very nuanced. Expand