Focus Features | Release Date: February 21, 2020
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 45 Ratings
Watch Now
clover13Feb 23, 2020
Meandering, plotless, and boring, but the set design and costumes were incredible.
bigeyesFeb 29, 2020
Pretty but pointless. Vapid heroine, limp almost nonexistent plot, emotional arcs that run from c to c+. Beautiful visuals and a handful of charming moments. Go if you want eye candy, but put a tight leash on your expectations.
TomHugMar 20, 2020
I am semi-literate with Austen novels, but it seems like this movie more than many other adaptations requires fairly esoteric Austen insider knowledge and knowledge of the character backgrounds that would be developed in the novel, but is notI am semi-literate with Austen novels, but it seems like this movie more than many other adaptations requires fairly esoteric Austen insider knowledge and knowledge of the character backgrounds that would be developed in the novel, but is not in the movie, to really enjoy. There are some occasional well-acted and tender moments here, but mostly this is a prettily photographed but frequently boring movie. Expand
GreatMartinMar 6, 2020
Until I met a friend in 1967 I was a "Yes, I've read 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Sense and Sensibility' and that was my extent of 'knowing' Jane Austen. Over the years I have seen some movies based on the titles I mentioned and until I met theUntil I met a friend in 1967 I was a "Yes, I've read 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Sense and Sensibility' and that was my extent of 'knowing' Jane Austen. Over the years I have seen some movies based on the titles I mentioned and until I met the aforementioned friend I spelled the last name Austin! Little by little I read more of her books and, on my own, did some research on the author.

I really wasn't familiar with Jane Austen's "Emma" or the movies, including "Clueless", based on the book. This version has constant reminders of the title actress, Anya Taylor-Joy, of her big expressive eyes and curled hair. She sees herself as a matchmaker who boasts that she has never been wrong yet! Three hours later I still see the eyes and curls but except for that one line, I couldn't tell you what else she said!

I have mentioned before that recently I have had problems hearing in movies so I have been using earphones but though I could follow the storyline--being familiar with Austen's works helped--I had a hard time understanding any of the actors including Johnny Flynn, Josh O'Connor, Mia Goth and Amber Anderson but Bill Nighy, as Emma's father, gets across exactly what he is thinking and saying with his face, body and mere glances.

The PBS aspect of "Emma" meaning the lush England lawns, gardens and homes plus the costumes and hairstyles is Masterpiece Theatre at its best.

At times the music was jarring but at least it broke up the boredom I experienced watching the film.
cflanmacMar 9, 2020
Even Bill Nighy can't save this appalling movie based on Jane Austen's wonderful book. Yes, the costumes are exquisite--no expense was spared--and the vistas were grand--but the acting was wooden; wooden except when the actor was OVER-actingEven Bill Nighy can't save this appalling movie based on Jane Austen's wonderful book. Yes, the costumes are exquisite--no expense was spared--and the vistas were grand--but the acting was wooden; wooden except when the actor was OVER-acting dreadfully. The occasional surprises were definitely unnecessary and distracting. As a former English professor I would recommend the 1996 version of Emma, with Kate Beckinsale, Bernard Hepton, Mark Strong, and Samantha Bond. Expand