Netflix | Release Date (Streaming): June 26, 2020
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 318 Ratings
Watch Now
TVJerryJul 4, 2020
Many Americans have never heard of this massive international talent contest that's been capturing the attention of Europeans since 1956. Will Ferrell plays an aspiring Icelandic musician who, along with his partner (Rachel McAdams), sets outMany Americans have never heard of this massive international talent contest that's been capturing the attention of Europeans since 1956. Will Ferrell plays an aspiring Icelandic musician who, along with his partner (Rachel McAdams), sets out to win the competition against massive odds, including their scant talent. This isn't Ferrell's first satirical spoof, but it's surely his worst. The plot arc is obvious throughout and too much time is drowned in his dramatic moments with his co-star. While the musical numbers are supposed to be smirking send-ups, they're didn't go far enough. Meanwhile, there's little comedy in the script (co-written by Ferrell) and none of the characters are especially amusing. Even Graham Norton, who acts as a commentator and is usually funny, isn't. The good news: The only cost to Netflix subscribers is 2 hours. Expand
irishblokeJul 1, 2020
Firstly i gotta say, the movie is too long and im probaly not the first person to say that. Racheal mc Adams saves this movie from being another Will Ferrel pile of crap, shes fantastic. Its silly and its Eurovision and its kinda good.
MattBrady99Jul 24, 2020
Longest comedy ever, and it is only two hours long. This is coming from the same guy who watched 'The Irishman'.

'Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga' was fine at best, but I did not find it that funny. The only time I chuckled was during the more random sections of the movie. For whatever reason, the movie felt kind of stale, in terms of its look and atmosphere.

I am not sure if the movie is a parody of Eurovision or a tribute? You could say both, but I am not sure if I buy into that. If I must be honest, I have never heard of Eurovision before, so unfortunately this movie is my first introduction to the contest show. I think this is the reason why a lot of the jokes fall flat for me. Although, the humour and writing aren’t strong enough to stand on its own.

Halfway through the movie, it also turns into a music video with short appearances from past contestants who were on Eurovision. While watching that scene, I had no clue what was going on.

Will Ferrell plays an idiotic man child with a loudmouth that would often get degraded by his father. Basically, the same character he has been playing for most of his career, because I guess he doesn't have range. Ferrell’s Icelandic accent was extremely awful and at times I could hear him slip back into his native accent.

Rachel McAdams was the best part of the movie by far. McAdams has proven she can take on any genre, especially comedy. During the more dramatic aspects of the movie, she almost encourages Will Ferrell to "step up his game", in terms of being dramatic for a scene using only her acting. Her Icelandic accent was better than Ferrell's. Not great, just a little better.

Also, this is the third time there has been a connection between Pierce Brosnan and ABBA. I think it might be a sign. Overall rating: Yep, it is a Netflix movie.
lucaslabJun 26, 2020
So, the movie... it's not a good call for a chill movie and that pass like it's nothing, I would be lying if I said that... it's tough and unfair, somethings are kinda disrespectful for me. Like, Songvakeppnin is one of the strongest nationalSo, the movie... it's not a good call for a chill movie and that pass like it's nothing, I would be lying if I said that... it's tough and unfair, somethings are kinda disrespectful for me. Like, Songvakeppnin is one of the strongest national finals and it's said like a 'joke final for TV', it's not a nice thing. But well, somehow (no spoilers here) they made it to Eurovision in Scotland, I would love to see that again, and it was 50 minutes of the movie when I actually started caring about how it would end, then I stopped again knowing the rules and how unreal they are in the movie. But well... it all a long, LONG, a little horrible and you wanna quit, road to the end. But it ends and it's nice, some way I enjoyed the end and how it was treated. Also, Demi participation is irrelevant and it's like a cameo, nothing interesting. Expand
LittlewazzockJun 28, 2020
This film is fun has great songs and is fun to sing along but oh God the characters are so dumb I know it's a comedy but shes dum as nails and hes a jerk make it impossible for me to get behind them
Declan1802Jul 2, 2020
I mean the movie is fine by all accounts, there's a couple funny bits and Will Ferrel will give his all whether he's dressed as an Elf, Nascar driver or Icelandic euro pop singer. Its not fantastic though, there were a couple details II mean the movie is fine by all accounts, there's a couple funny bits and Will Ferrel will give his all whether he's dressed as an Elf, Nascar driver or Icelandic euro pop singer. Its not fantastic though, there were a couple details I noticed that were changed from the trailer i.e. minor lines of dialogue taken out at least in the UK version I watched. Its certainly not the worst comedy i've seen but its felt like awhile since i've seen a Ferrel movie that genuinely made me laugh constantly throughout.Did take slight offence as a Scot seeing they moved the venue of the Hydro and CGI'd it from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Why not just have the host city be Glasgow you really don't need to change much of the plot and saves the pretty poor visual effects of the entire building being placed into Edinburgh's Old Town.

The story is nothing special however I did think the ending half an hour was quite heartwarming but I wasn't really invested in many of the side characters beyond a funny line or two and the montage of songs felt really dated. If you have netflix, by all means give it a watch if you're looking for something light hearted but if you're looking for top quality you could probably find better than this.
Sammyboo21Jul 1, 2020
It’s not great but it’s solid and will Ferrells and Rachel mcadams most charming performances in a very long time. It’s a little long at just under 2 hours but it’s a decent Netflix watch.
AlekshaJul 2, 2020
Exactly what you expect. Great performance from Pierce Brosnan aside, Eurovision is part parody and part homage that, for the most part, lands in terms of what it sets out to do. Plot wise, nothing special. Though, if you have Netflix, youExactly what you expect. Great performance from Pierce Brosnan aside, Eurovision is part parody and part homage that, for the most part, lands in terms of what it sets out to do. Plot wise, nothing special. Though, if you have Netflix, you might as well see it. Expand
pijgogoJul 6, 2020
Enjoyable rom-com. Has even higher value for actual Eurovision watchers. Pure Hollywood entertainment. There’re lovable sweetheart lines “There you are…Here I am…” Some out of place moments like Demi Lovato's final ghost appearance, butEnjoyable rom-com. Has even higher value for actual Eurovision watchers. Pure Hollywood entertainment. There’re lovable sweetheart lines “There you are…Here I am…” Some out of place moments like Demi Lovato's final ghost appearance, but all is forgiven with Europop, a sing along, Pierce Brosnan faking an European accent, reference to BDE, reference to gender fluidity, silly Jaja Ding Dong pub song, and more. Expand