Gramercy Pictures (I) | Release Date: March 8, 1996
Universal acclaim based on 769 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
NF123Aug 30, 2010
Sometimes the humour is so dark, we wonder if we're supposed to be laughing but I gotta say, it's without doubt in my top 25 of all time. Very, very re-watchable and with magnificent performances from Steve buschemi, William Macy and FrancesSometimes the humour is so dark, we wonder if we're supposed to be laughing but I gotta say, it's without doubt in my top 25 of all time. Very, very re-watchable and with magnificent performances from Steve buschemi, William Macy and Frances Mcdormand. It set the standard high for Joel and Ethan and except for one disappointing 2004 slip up they have succeeded in meeting it everytime. Be warned however the film is incredibly bloody but if not squeamish (there's one particularly visceral moment) this is a hilarious, smart, perfect comedy that taught me how depraved my humour really was! Seriously everything about this movie is brilliant! Expand
StevenFAug 5, 2013
Something which can apply to pretty much every Coen brothers film, there is nothing else quite like them out there, they have the wits of any clever drama, the dark humour of any black comedy and the gore and suspense of any thriller orSomething which can apply to pretty much every Coen brothers film, there is nothing else quite like them out there, they have the wits of any clever drama, the dark humour of any black comedy and the gore and suspense of any thriller or horror flick, but the difference here is they are rolled into one, and Fargo is no different, the latest and one of the greatest from the two imaginative brothers. Also, with these two comes a cast brimming with talent and versatile performances, especially from Frances McDormand, who puts in an Oscar-winning performance as cheerful yet inquisitive police chief Marge Gunderson, who is on the trail of two cons who have been hired by an in over his head salesman trying to rid himself of debts by collecting ransom money for his wife, but a series of mishaps and deaths put a whole different spin on a straightforward tale of fraud.
William H. Macy plays the clever salesman who gets it all wrong, and the film perfectly captures him as a sort of anti-hero, simply trying to rid himself of worries but in typical fashion, good guys finish last. McDormand plays a woman who never truly seems up to the challenge, but surprises us at every turn, all the while being heavily pregnant. She lights up the screen with a budding and peculiar accent which only fits this type of film, she is sure to enjoy her day, but also do her job properly. The film manages to create a sense of wicked behaviour, but treat it as another day at the office for these gentle snow folk. The Coens create scenes that simply shouldn't be funny,, but the combination of a strong 'nice' accent and the comic timing from the actors, which is pivotal in many of the brothers films, make these scenes truly memorable to watch, they have ordinary and daily grind conversations, all while investigating a murder inquiry. Its the perfect blend of drama and thrill, but with a light-hearted stroke for those who simply love the art going on in front of them.
It's truly a triumph not only for its time, but as time goes on, it never ceases to be a clever, simple and unique film, perfectly showcasing the Coen brothers for what they are known for, taking a simple premise and creating the most unpredictable and most engaging films imaginable, doing this through character interaction and environmental cues, combined with excellent scripts and pure talent in acting, easily one of the best films of the nineties for sure.
felipekernerMar 7, 2012
Uma das grandes obras dos irmãos Coen. Um festival de trapalhadas vai moldando um clássico do humor negro graças a Steve Buscemi e Frances McDormand e ogrande roteiro dos irmãos.
beingryanjudeAug 25, 2014
A focused and fascinating look at hard times in Minnesota, brought to you by grandeur storytellers, the Coen brothers. It's dark, sometimes morbid, but with a hilarious performance from Frances McDormand, there aren't any emotions missing.
cameronmorewoodNov 15, 2012
Oh ya, you betcha. Fargo's definitely one the most original, darkly funny, and ultimately maniacal movies I've seen. It's ring is almost that of a Pulp Fiction that takes place in Minnesota. It has all the same quirks.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
It's wry, dark, yet surprisingly sanguine. "Fargo" proves again and again to be a truly rewarding piece of cinema, and a delightful look into the incredible acting ability of Frances McDormand.
FranzHcriticFeb 17, 2014
A crossroad for black comedy, crime-thriller, and action film, 'Fargo' is perhaps the Coen brothers first true masterpiece. It succeeds in making the ultraviolence and absolute stupidity of almost every character that results in their ratherA crossroad for black comedy, crime-thriller, and action film, 'Fargo' is perhaps the Coen brothers first true masterpiece. It succeeds in making the ultraviolence and absolute stupidity of almost every character that results in their rather crude demise, and adds enough irony to make it an enjoyable and surreal laugh. One of Frances McDormand's most impressive performances, though the most impressive and underrated character goes to Steve Buscemi, who in my opinion was snubbed by almost every major award. Ya gotta love the Coens, eh? Expand
BurnsWEMJan 5, 2015
No doubt an excellent film. In my opinion it is better than The Big Lebowski, No Country For Old Men, and other Coen brother movies. I thought it was very well written, directed, and had a great story. Highly recommend this one.
NicoDaFlagburnaJan 7, 2011
Since Minnesota is the star of this film, an undiscovered cinematic landscape, expectations as an audience will be understated as a new frontier is established. The premise is noir-ish, a slick crime caper with twists, and the Coen's batterSince Minnesota is the star of this film, an undiscovered cinematic landscape, expectations as an audience will be understated as a new frontier is established. The premise is noir-ish, a slick crime caper with twists, and the Coen's batter you with their isolated sense of belonging where character is not representative of action. Kind hearted men make mistakes, arrogant patriarchs are heroic and women are almost childlike. These examples build a topsy-turvy world where the stability of the wintry environment is redemptive and though not able to offer peace, it incubates life. Behind an implicit sense of humour that is never exploited is the warm tale of a cold world where beauty is detached from humanity. Possibly one of the greatest achievements in cinema to date. 100/100 Expand
TyranianApr 8, 2019
Fargo is an excellent black comedy from the Coen brothers with their trademark wit and invention.
moonman1994Feb 9, 2014
Fargo is good because it manages to be darkly humorous but at the same time gory, violent and down to earth. The characters seem very real and even relatable and the movie is just filled with classic moments.
MovieGuysMar 26, 2014
Fargo is a victory lap for the Coen Brothers. They have fun with this movie, putting in many inside jokes, director's trademarks, and figurative language. From all the "Oh yaa's" to "The heck do you mean's", Fargo doesn't just introduce itsFargo is a victory lap for the Coen Brothers. They have fun with this movie, putting in many inside jokes, director's trademarks, and figurative language. From all the "Oh yaa's" to "The heck do you mean's", Fargo doesn't just introduce its characters, it puts you right into their world. The movie is enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining. And by the end, you'll be saying to yourself,

"I've seen enough f **kin snow to last me a lifetime."
- John Amos, Die Hard 2
cmykJan 29, 2014
One of my favourites from the Coens. Makes me giggle every time I see wood chippers now; it's dark humor, and it's bloody brilliant. Quite literally.
heeldavidJul 23, 2014
Fargo is probably the darkest comedy of all time, The Coen Brothers know how to make a dark comedy it's in their blood. The film has everything that a dark comedy needs: weird/dangerous characters and "dark stuff that the characters shouldFargo is probably the darkest comedy of all time, The Coen Brothers know how to make a dark comedy it's in their blood. The film has everything that a dark comedy needs: weird/dangerous characters and "dark stuff that the characters should do". McDormand, Macy, Buscemi and the underrated supporting cast give smart perfromances Expand
LelchelseaJan 19, 2015
The Coen Brothers bring a different approach to the world of crime with this dark comedy film. After the glorification of crime films like The Godfather to Goodfellas there wasn't many crime films like Fargo which brought a new type comedy toThe Coen Brothers bring a different approach to the world of crime with this dark comedy film. After the glorification of crime films like The Godfather to Goodfellas there wasn't many crime films like Fargo which brought a new type comedy to the screen. Fargo can make you cringe at brutal murders to laugh from what they do to try cover it up. It is purely a stroke genius to pull two very different aspects and roll them into one great film. Expand
smartmartAug 24, 2015
A very dark comedy that is both hilarious at times and, at others, painful! The acting and direction are extremely well-done, and is the most acclaimed film from The Coen Brothers. If you've never seen it before, then go and see it already!A very dark comedy that is both hilarious at times and, at others, painful! The acting and direction are extremely well-done, and is the most acclaimed film from The Coen Brothers. If you've never seen it before, then go and see it already! It is a masterpiece! Expand
Nicholash6321Jul 10, 2015
Funny, violent and an overall fantastic film. Frances' performance was phenomenal and it was witty and satirical. It showed of the Coen Brother's true flare thorugh it's dialogue and ultra violence and is my all time favourite black comedy.
Idioteque25Jul 3, 2016
Magnificent example of dark comedy, unique characters and the great cinematography of the Coen Brothers. Impossible not to admire with this every second planned masterpiece.
BerCJul 11, 2016
The artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired worldThe artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired world this would be.

What I Personally Liked About "Fargo":
This is really William H. Macy's show. His twitchy, stuttering, overly stressed portrayal of Jerry Lundegaard is spot-on cinematic gold. He'll probably be remembered throughout his career for this one role and rightly so. The movie probably would have fallen apart without such an intricately formed performance standing in the spotlight. That's not to take anything away from Frances McDormand's portrayal of Police Chief Marge Gunderson. She was obviously born to play her role as well. From her soft vocal inflections to her inquisitive expressions, she is a great opposite number for Macy's uncomfortable criminality. Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare should also be noted as providing a wonderful balance between malicious intent and comic relief that fits well with the world the Coen Brothers have crafted so expertly. In addition, I really love the whiteness of it all. Seriously. I have always been a big fan of winter, both on screen and in real life, and there is no better depiction I can think of than "Fargo" for bringing stark, snow-covered American landscapes to life. Roger Deakins is one of my favorite cinematographers and it should be easy for anyone to understand why after watching his work here. Carter Burwell also did his best to score the film with dark noir tones and intimate underpinnings. Finally, we arrive at the unabashed stereotyping of Midwestern dialects. Political correctness be damned. This merely adds to the humor of the production.

What I Personally Disliked About "Fargo":
There are a few minor quibbles regarding the pacing of the latter half of the film. However, they are so minor they're not really worth noting in this review. The one major drawback is Chief Gunderson's meeting with the Mike Yanagita character. Granted, this sequence helps Gunderson make connections later in the movie but it still throws off the rhythm of the picture. Surely, with their vast knowledge of wordplay and filmic invention, Joel and Ethan could have come up with something that suited the flick a little better than this.

My Overall Impression of "Fargo":
Yanagita aside, the Coen Brothers hit their stride with this film. It was witty, it was biting, it was edgy, and it was refreshing. It was a true step outside the box of contemporaneous cinematic convention and it is still every ounce as entertaining now as when it was first released two decades ago.
RobwinzDec 11, 2020
Fargo is actually a brilliant movie and it's honestly a masterpiece and a half. The movie's got such a brilliant story with such a strong script, which has been well written.

The movie's got some brilliant performances from each character

The movie's got some brilliant performances from each character throughout this movie, especially from Carl (Steve Buscemi) he's honestly amazing throughout this movie.

The dialogue which is given from each character throughout this movie is honestly very strong dialogue, each piece of dialogue is received so beautifully and it's so well done.

Also, the movie's got some great humour from each character throughout this movie. All of the humour throughout this movie works really well in making me laugh in some sort of way.

The movie's pacing is honestly great, each main moment is built up so well and non of the moments start to feel like they drag, which is quite good.

The movie's cinematographer Roger Deakins does such a beautiful job on capturing each moment so beautifully. He's honestly one of the best cinematographers to this day, he always does such a beautiful job on capturing these moments so beautifully.

Finally, the movie's got some very gory moments scattered throughout, they're all very well made. Also, the gory moments are all well built up with the great pacing throughout this movie and they all work so perfectly well.

The makeup artist who's called John Blake does such a brilliant job on making the gory look to the characters come to life.

Overall, Fargo is honestly a brilliant movie and it's even a masterpiece and a half. The movie's got a brilliant story, brilliant performances, strong dialogue, great humour, great pacing, beautiful cinematography, lots of gory moments and a brilliant makeup artist.
r96skMar 22, 2022
I didn't enjoy is as much as I thought I would, but 'Fargo' is still very good and something I'd obviously recommend.

I like the cast here, even if it is a bit of a Frances McDormand carryjob to be honest - she is terrific all the way through, absolutely nailing the role. Steve Buscemi is the star away from McDormand, while I've seen a few glimpses of William H. Macy elsewhere but this is his best showing that I've watched thus far. Peter Stormare is good too.

It's an entertaining story, that's for certain! Around 98 minutes was a wise run time call, also. I didn't get that extra little something from it, yet it's a film that I'd more than happily rewatch - largely thanks to McDormand, and Buscemi.
motionpaintingsNov 21, 2020
My first film that i saw by the coen brothers and i'm not sure what to think of that. A weird story that starts slowly and turns out to be more than disturbing in the end.
NickTheCritickNov 2, 2021
Here an other Coen brothers' masterpiece. Every shot here is like a painting and the film is also beautifully edited other than directed. This movie is a mix of dark comedy, thrilling and splatter with explosions of violence that really fitHere an other Coen brothers' masterpiece. Every shot here is like a painting and the film is also beautifully edited other than directed. This movie is a mix of dark comedy, thrilling and splatter with explosions of violence that really fit the movie's main theme : human stupidity. You have Coen at their best here. Easily one of Coen's best movies. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 30, 2011
The Coen Brothers presents "Fargo" not as a movie; they present it as a extreme state of art, a art that conveys silence and enlightenment altogether. If you are one of those people who really understand movies, this one's definitely for you.
RamonGuerreroMay 1, 2014
A comedy thriller by the hand of Ethan Coen, and a sharp script that makes us laugh while being at the edge of the seat. Short, Entertaining, funny, brutal, unforgettable performances, murders, jokes. What's not to love in this masterpiece?
brjorge2002Aug 20, 2010
Having lived in the city of Fargo from 1998 to 2009, I can tell you a fair amount of people there don't like this movie. I, however, think it's great. Of course, most anything directed by the Cohen brothers will be good. And Steve BuscemiHaving lived in the city of Fargo from 1998 to 2009, I can tell you a fair amount of people there don't like this movie. I, however, think it's great. Of course, most anything directed by the Cohen brothers will be good. And Steve Buscemi makes any movie even better. Expand
J-ShapAug 28, 2011
If someone dares to say that Fargo is not one of the greatest films of all time, promptly slap them over the head, walk into the nearest hunting supplies store, return with an axe, chop the nay-sayer in half, and feed the corpse into a woodIf someone dares to say that Fargo is not one of the greatest films of all time, promptly slap them over the head, walk into the nearest hunting supplies store, return with an axe, chop the nay-sayer in half, and feed the corpse into a wood chipper. If that seems too harsh, you don't get Fargo. Expand
796712Jan 6, 2011
fantastic film very good would highly reccomend i was speachless at the ending of it people who gave it negative should really watch it again and see it for its true beauty
cabritaDec 30, 2011
Fargo is not thrilling nor is it funny nor is it great. The Coen brothers film lack's suspense because most of the story is layed out for the viewer. The character's are all jerks except for Marge who is slightly annoying and stupid. ManyFargo is not thrilling nor is it funny nor is it great. The Coen brothers film lack's suspense because most of the story is layed out for the viewer. The character's are all jerks except for Marge who is slightly annoying and stupid. Many people will say im not respecting the art that is put into Fargo but I just don't see it. The film's simplicity does not go to it's advantage because it does not give the viewer anything special about it. In the end Fargo is a crime comedy that is average with it's crime story and is a film that is not very funny. Expand
shlugalugSep 2, 2010
Definitely not the worst film - but my least favourite film of the Coens, I was bored with the plot and it tried to be a dark comedy, but it was just dark. Frances McDormand is cute as Marge but she gives a very plain performance if you askDefinitely not the worst film - but my least favourite film of the Coens, I was bored with the plot and it tried to be a dark comedy, but it was just dark. Frances McDormand is cute as Marge but she gives a very plain performance if you ask me. But watch this for Peter Stormare's disposing of the body technique. That's it. Expand
NazguleroJul 6, 2011
This movie won two Oscars...it must have been a bad year at the movies. The movie never can decide if it wants to be a comedy or a thriller. Dorky cops, quirky characters that seem to have escaped from a slapstick flick, yet a brutal killerThis movie won two Oscars...it must have been a bad year at the movies. The movie never can decide if it wants to be a comedy or a thriller. Dorky cops, quirky characters that seem to have escaped from a slapstick flick, yet a brutal killer is at work, too. It doesn't go together. It's never funny, never believable, never exciting. In short, a waste of time. Expand
RodG.Feb 21, 2007
Great movie! I may take offense if I were from North Dakota or Minnesota but they were exaggerating the accent a little. I thought all the actors were great.
SusanJNov 2, 2005
One of the funniest movies of all time. This is definitely going into a favorites list. Oh gosh!
JakeG.Mar 21, 2007
Violent, bloody... but the most important thing is... it´s great. Frances McDormand is the best performance of the film, Buscemi and Macy are brilliant too!! A really master piece.10
JerryX.Nov 28, 2005
A film more flawless than "Fargo" doesn't come to mind because there isn't one. It is the epitome of the pitch-perfect motion picture, and it features two of the most superb performances in recent history by William H. Macy and A film more flawless than "Fargo" doesn't come to mind because there isn't one. It is the epitome of the pitch-perfect motion picture, and it features two of the most superb performances in recent history by William H. Macy and Frances McDormand. It's simply one of the greatest thrillers of all-time. Expand
wongitDec 27, 2005
Just average. this is one of the most overhyped movies i seen in a while. it was decent. its by no means a bad movie but damn this movie was really overated thats all i got to say. i dont see alot thats so special about it.
theNILEApr 16, 2016
Rarely laughed throughout this movie. The intended humour didn't amuse me, actually it mostly came off as just weird. There were a whole bunch of great actors who put on great performances, but it was mostly yawns.
Trev29Aug 23, 2013
It stands as one fine achievement. It accomplished so much in storytelling yet it was incredibly simplistic. Very funny with heavy use of satire. The atmosphere around Fargo proves that the Coen brothers know how to direct a movie. And what aIt stands as one fine achievement. It accomplished so much in storytelling yet it was incredibly simplistic. Very funny with heavy use of satire. The atmosphere around Fargo proves that the Coen brothers know how to direct a movie. And what a movie it is. Expand
TrilobiteGSep 25, 2015
Although it's cinematography and some dialogue is exceptional, Fargo leaves too many arcs hanging as well as slow pace and it's sole joke of making fun of accents. The most overrated film out there and I don't think it deserves the praise it gets.
Meth-dudeAug 9, 2016
The movie was boring, unfunny and not that well acted. The characters were all annoying (Especially the pregnant cop) and the story was very stupid and unbelievable. This overrated movie doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.
Viper8787Jun 21, 2014
Heard many of great things about this but it was not as good as I thought it was going to be. I am not a huge fan of the Coen brothers movies which is maybe why I didn't enjoy it too much. It did have some good acting and a few memorableHeard many of great things about this but it was not as good as I thought it was going to be. I am not a huge fan of the Coen brothers movies which is maybe why I didn't enjoy it too much. It did have some good acting and a few memorable scenes which gets it to a positive review from me. Expand
Willyam_CarrDec 31, 2017
Fargo is an outlandish and darkly comic movie that remains to be one the Coen’s Best works after 20 years. Frances McDormand’s performance is incredible; she is the perfect embodiment of truth and justice. The comic timing, pacing and actionFargo is an outlandish and darkly comic movie that remains to be one the Coen’s Best works after 20 years. Frances McDormand’s performance is incredible; she is the perfect embodiment of truth and justice. The comic timing, pacing and action are all spot-on. If you haven’t already, watch this movie! Expand
daviddelnorte23Jan 18, 2018
Fargo es una excelente película que tiene un punto a favor y otro en contra: a favor; tiene a Steve Buscemi (mi actor preferido) de protagonista en su mejor papel en cine y en contra; que la serie me gusta muuuuucho más. Todo lo que hacen losFargo es una excelente película que tiene un punto a favor y otro en contra: a favor; tiene a Steve Buscemi (mi actor preferido) de protagonista en su mejor papel en cine y en contra; que la serie me gusta muuuuucho más. Todo lo que hacen los Coen es genial. Expand
CalumRhysJan 4, 2017
The Coen Brothers are two very talented individuals when it comes to the ability of storytelling, across a variety of genres, characters and locations, yet each time they seem to be able to pull off the seemingly impossible by crafting a newThe Coen Brothers are two very talented individuals when it comes to the ability of storytelling, across a variety of genres, characters and locations, yet each time they seem to be able to pull off the seemingly impossible by crafting a new original piece out of nothing. Whilst I do enjoy other Coen films over 'Fargo', it is nonetheless a riveting and hilarious black comedy that features stellar performances from the likes of William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi, as well as the fantastically quirky Frances McDormand whose awkward performance garnered her an Oscar.

With a story that delves into a blend of humour, violence and thrills, the black comedy elements of 'Fargo' make it both a bitter and comedic edge-of-seat thriller with Marge Gunderson's "Oh ya betcha" becoming a highlight over the course of the running time. 'Fargo' is undeniably a fantastic black comedy and one of the Coen Brothers's finest efforts.
AIleSep 10, 2018
فارجو .. الأخوين كوين
فارجو .. الأخوين كوين
من قصة بسيطة كان من الممكن أن تنتهي بطريقة اعتيادية، تتحول إلى شبه مجزرة بشرية. أحببت الوضوح الشديد للسرد العام، والعنف المختفي في التفاصيل. هذه النوعية من الأفلام تحتفي دائماً بتقديم صورة للذهن عن خلودها. ربما أقلقني قليلاً نسبة الكوميديا لدى بعض الشخصيات وبالأخص (الشرطة) وهذا ما جعلني أخرج من دائرة الإعجاب الكلي بالفيلم. لكنه فيلم أكثر من جيد قطعاً
mattaJul 20, 2007
A classic that still seems fresh, funny and completely new over a decade later. P.S. I know it seems nitpicky, but Metacritic, you have in the synopsis that Frances McDormand is the wife who gets kidnapped. She's not. She's the A classic that still seems fresh, funny and completely new over a decade later. P.S. I know it seems nitpicky, but Metacritic, you have in the synopsis that Frances McDormand is the wife who gets kidnapped. She's not. She's the cop. Just thought I'd let you know. Expand
DanC.Mar 20, 2004
Ingenious!
ZackO.May 6, 2007
Fargo is a great movie. It is by far the best Coen Brothers movie and also one of the greatest of all time. It is amazing how it can be intense and brutal while three minutes later, funny.
CritiqueGirlMar 2, 2011
Very gruesome and that was with seeing it on TV. However, a great black comedy. When it was funny, it was funny. The acting was superb. The setting great. Directing outstanding. It was the violence that had me put it at an 8. That'sVery gruesome and that was with seeing it on TV. However, a great black comedy. When it was funny, it was funny. The acting was superb. The setting great. Directing outstanding. It was the violence that had me put it at an 8. That's just the way I am even though it was integral to the movie. Expand
ShahmeerJun 1, 2011
When I first heard of Fargo, I thought from all these reviews that it was a comedy. When I read the genre, it told me it was a crime-thriller. And before I watched it on Epix, I learned it was a dark comedy. Then I thought I was gonna hateWhen I first heard of Fargo, I thought from all these reviews that it was a comedy. When I read the genre, it told me it was a crime-thriller. And before I watched it on Epix, I learned it was a dark comedy. Then I thought I was gonna hate this movie, for the film "A Serious Man" was a dark-comedy and was also directed by the Coen brothers, was a complete and utter failure to me. But I soon came to realize something during the film; this movie is amazing. It started as a comedy, in which the laughs were very dark and enjoyable, then grew into a problematic drama, which grew into a crime film, and then quickly into a thriller. All the genres that I expected were in the film, but never was my first thought about it. Fargo is a film that surprised me completely. Winning two academy awards (Best Actress and Best Original Screenplay), Fargo is an exciting adventure to watch. Based in small cities of Minnesota, Fargo is about a car salesman who tries to buy an investment on a parking lot. He needs money, so he decides to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife and ask for ransom from her father (who is extremely wealthy) so he can get the money to invest. But not all goes as planned, and murder, lying, robbery, and much more occur in the events that happen afterwards. Joel and Ethan always seem to make me happy (besides "A Serious Man"), and not many directors can do that. The Acting was very well done, and I disagree with the Academy at not giving William H. Macy a nomination for Best Lead Actor, and not giving him a win for Best Supporting Actor. I believe his acting was more better than Francis McDormand, although she also did deserve her win. Steve Beschumi also played his part as a villain well, as he always does. The Cinematography of this film was good. But I am also upset with the Academy for not giving this film a nomination for the score, which was excellent. It was perfect for the film, and fit the scenes well. If I heard this score again, I'd know it was from Fargo. The film really revolves around the characters alot in the film, and I give much respect for the film. The different character's lives and feelings were depicted in a very different way, with scenes that just brought happiness, terror, or humor to the eyes of the character's, and the audiences. But, there were little parts in the film that I didn't like, starting with some unnecessary scenes. There were amounts of sex in the film which didn't need to be there, and some scenes that didn't make any sense. And then there was the fact that the police officer was pregnant, which brought a few laughs to the film, but no actual meaning to the plot. That's really all. All in all, this was a film that should be viewed by any happy, mature audience, and should be praised highly by everyone. Expand
bcoolFeb 21, 2012
I can't really say what's wrong with this film cause I loved it while it lasted but when it ended I felt kind of disappointed. I guess that makes it perfect for the second viewing. By the way, Frances McDormand won an Oscar for this film as aI can't really say what's wrong with this film cause I loved it while it lasted but when it ended I felt kind of disappointed. I guess that makes it perfect for the second viewing. By the way, Frances McDormand won an Oscar for this film as a leading actress but she is actually a supporting. And most of her scenes were distracting from the central plot, but she gave it a comic relief. William H. Macy is lead but he was nominated for supporting. Buscemi and Stormare are standout. Expand
csw12Aug 31, 2015
Joel Cohen does a great job at mixing a weirdly configured atmosphere of total suspense and comedy. Strange, at times funny, and intense make Fargo a good film.
DezuuuApr 5, 2012
A classic. A very interesting, yet simplistic story, some very interesting characters and brilliant acting. Also has a fantastic atmosphere. I recommend this great movie.
JaakkoJun 17, 2012
I really enjoyed this film, it is a twisted comedy which really works because of the innocents of Midwest America. It is easy to see why Frances McDormand won a Oscar for her role as the pregnant police chief, she was believable and warmI really enjoyed this film, it is a twisted comedy which really works because of the innocents of Midwest America. It is easy to see why Frances McDormand won a Oscar for her role as the pregnant police chief, she was believable and warm while trying to track down murderers while their list of victims keeps growing. I don't think this film could of worked in many other locations then North Dakota/Minnesota, just the subtle charm and innocents of the people is what makes this film in my mind. I give it a 7.4 out of 10, definitely will be watching the one again. Expand
geedupJul 4, 2012
When I first watched this i didn't know it was another Cohen film I liked. Love this film cuz' of the heavy accents (from "da norte US, eh") but also cuz of the simple story as well. Macey steels this flick in his role. And although their isWhen I first watched this i didn't know it was another Cohen film I liked. Love this film cuz' of the heavy accents (from "da norte US, eh") but also cuz of the simple story as well. Macey steels this flick in his role. And although their is inherent violence, you can easily begin to identify with with each character. Which, goes a long way about describing this movie. Expand
SpangleApr 19, 2013
Fargo is a movie that can certainly be slow at times, but the plot always keep you interested in the movie and overall, it is certainly a great movie. The acting and directing were both on point.
ReubenIsAGodJul 4, 2015
Its a very dark kind of comedy, which in premiums was very original and different at the time. Yet i feel it is important to note that fargos charm is the dialog between the characters, its just so comedic, also the acting is pretty topIts a very dark kind of comedy, which in premiums was very original and different at the time. Yet i feel it is important to note that fargos charm is the dialog between the characters, its just so comedic, also the acting is pretty top notch. Only big negative is the fact that the film doesn't really have any clear sense of direction within the plot, ,many little side plots are kinda just their within the story. Overall Fargo is a classic worth your time, its comedically dark. Expand
eagleeyevikingJul 16, 2017
With universally terrific acting, a plot that gets more interesting with time, a timeless soundtrack, dark humour that works, classic cinematography, and three dimensional & memorable characters, Fargo is a black comedy crime film that works well.
MrPhytonDec 25, 2013
It is one the most accessible Coen Brothers and a absolutely must see film to someone who enjoys cinema as I do. It is accessible, yes, but also a very smart well maid movie. It shows the talent of the brand The Coen Brother's'' and shows,It is one the most accessible Coen Brothers and a absolutely must see film to someone who enjoys cinema as I do. It is accessible, yes, but also a very smart well maid movie. It shows the talent of the brand The Coen Brother's'' and shows, also, how much they evolved since the 90's. It is not their best work, but It is, nonetheless, a great movie. I particularly liked the character of Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand)- a pregnant police officer who as that ''cozy housewife'' kind of look. A kind smile and a peaceful attitude but a surprising great insight on the strange events that occur through the movie. Also I have praise William H. Macy as the bankrupt family man Jerry Lundegaard who takes the ''coward way out'' and starting developing schemes and even making arrangements with criminals to succeed. Without giving it away, the ending is brilliant and as shinning brilliant morality to it. As I said, It is a must see movie. Expand
chwJul 18, 2014
It's amazing how some movies can so easily imitate reality by presenting a story that is simultaneously devastating and darkly funny. Fargo pulls this feat off better than most; all the characters have quirks that make them extremelyIt's amazing how some movies can so easily imitate reality by presenting a story that is simultaneously devastating and darkly funny. Fargo pulls this feat off better than most; all the characters have quirks that make them extremely entertaining to watch despite some of them committing despicable acts of violence. Instead of being presented like a typical crime film or comedy, the film allows the viewer to be like a fly-on-the-wall left to observe the events depicted in the film. Expand
jools123Aug 6, 2014
I absolutely loved this movie. The Coen brothers at there finest. This dark comedy is packed with gritty action scenes, funny dialogue, and the Coen brothers quirky humor. Hands down to Francis Mcdormand and Steve Buicemi (may be misspelled,I absolutely loved this movie. The Coen brothers at there finest. This dark comedy is packed with gritty action scenes, funny dialogue, and the Coen brothers quirky humor. Hands down to Francis Mcdormand and Steve Buicemi (may be misspelled, sorry) for their great and funny performances too. Expand
HuraxdaxMar 21, 2018
Very meticulously crafted, with attention to many details. It's uncommon, it's dark, it's funny, it's original. Worth a watch any time; also the length of just 98 minutes is quite enjoyable.
skylarksJan 10, 2015
Expectations are always high when you watch a film like "Fargo" for the first time two decades after its original release, but I still generally liked it a lot and found both the final resolution and the message in this film plausible. TheExpectations are always high when you watch a film like "Fargo" for the first time two decades after its original release, but I still generally liked it a lot and found both the final resolution and the message in this film plausible. The soundtrack was also enchanting. Expand
BariscanBozkurtJun 1, 2016
İzlediğim En Overrated Filmlerden Birisi
İzlediğim En Overrated Filmlerden Birisi
Diziyi izledikten sonra büyük bir beklenti ile filmi izledim. Belki de hatayı burda yapmışımdır. Çünkü filmin diziye kıyasla çok daha basit ve sıradan olacağını tahmin edememiştim. Dizinin öncesini anlatan bu film gayet sıradan karakter tiplemelerine, olay örgüsüne ve tatmin etmeyen bir sona sahip. Diziyi izlemek istiyorsanız, izlemelisiniz. Yoksa bu filmi bugüne kadar izlemediğiniz için pek bir kaybınız yok.
alejandro970Sep 25, 2020
One of the best recent examples of detective film. How Much Can Go Wrong in a Quick, Easy Money Scheme? Much. Based on a supposed true case, it's one of the Coen brothers' best bets, and they owe a lot to the cast. To see it as many times asOne of the best recent examples of detective film. How Much Can Go Wrong in a Quick, Easy Money Scheme? Much. Based on a supposed true case, it's one of the Coen brothers' best bets, and they owe a lot to the cast. To see it as many times as necessary. Expand
eva3si0nJun 3, 2017
Excellent movie. On the stylistics very much reminds the Pulp fiction and in general Tarantino's style. Action is developed slowly, the movie and characters deride all situation which happens to them. Dialogues are very abrupt, especiallyExcellent movie. On the stylistics very much reminds the Pulp fiction and in general Tarantino's style. Action is developed slowly, the movie and characters deride all situation which happens to them. Dialogues are very abrupt, especially constant repetition "Yes?". I have decided to watch the movie, before the series of the same name, I have never regretted. Expand
DirectorCriticsApr 15, 2017
I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH, is not my fave coen brothers movie, but is really great, the best part obviously is Frances Mcdormand, god damned she is perfect in the film.
ethanstapleyDec 20, 2017
Ohh yaaaaah I loved this film. Blending a dark story with comedy fantastically results in one of the Coen's finest. Entertaining performances throughout and a unique crime setting on the big screen.
jaasieljuniorNov 21, 2017
Alguém consegue imaginar Fargo sem ser dirigido por Joel e Ethan Coen? é meio impossível . a obra não seria sarcástica,tensa,engraçada e imprevisível. Sabe aquele filme que você assiste e cada cena posterior é memorável? Fargo é umaAlguém consegue imaginar Fargo sem ser dirigido por Joel e Ethan Coen? é meio impossível . a obra não seria sarcástica,tensa,engraçada e imprevisível. Sabe aquele filme que você assiste e cada cena posterior é memorável? Fargo é uma obra-prima. Expand
amheretojudgeJan 16, 2018
it was a mixup, i guess

Fargo

The resemblance towards the reality is the greatest strength of Fargo since it questions the sarcasm, logic and perspective about individual characters that can only be written by observing the surrounding.
cameronhalmansOct 3, 2018
Fargo is a simple and to the point drama/comedy that excels on almost every level. With acting that raises the bar, the cohen brothers get enough from every scene. The central theme of violence, greed, and selfishness is brilliantlyFargo is a simple and to the point drama/comedy that excels on almost every level. With acting that raises the bar, the cohen brothers get enough from every scene. The central theme of violence, greed, and selfishness is brilliantly juxtaposed with the calmness and laid back nature of the setting and it's inhabitants. 93/100 Expand
RyanGoslingFanJun 4, 2018
A very food for thought and specially impressive movie by the Coen brothers, based on a true story. Thanks to the directing, it has a rough but wonderful atmosphere.
DawdlingPoetNov 23, 2021
This is a somewhat quirky, small town type drama watch. The plot is a little slow paced perhaps and its not constantly action packed but its intriguing enough to keep you watching regardless. There are good performances from Buscemi andThis is a somewhat quirky, small town type drama watch. The plot is a little slow paced perhaps and its not constantly action packed but its intriguing enough to keep you watching regardless. There are good performances from Buscemi and McDormand (perhaps slightly less so from William H Macy) and some fairly amusing aspects of the very much dark comedy plot. I have to say I didn't find it overall an especially funny watch, in the way I maybe expected, given its quite a cult classic but its certainly not bad. I felt particularly sorry for Buscemi's character, Carl Showalter. I note that the characters names are a bit quirky, much like the people themselves - somewhat animated at times, while also appearing physically fairly average. For a Coen brothers film, its not bad but not my favourite. It seemed to me to be a tale of botched criminality, with the most memorable aspect being that its set in a very snowy and dreary semi-rural area of the US, which makes the red blood of the violence stand out. It may make you cringe but yeah, I suppose I would recommend it overall. Expand
FnnJun 3, 2020
**** manages to tell a dark story with some of the best film violence ever. but you come out of it like you've just seen a feel good film. Its also hilarious. Mint
ConairOct 18, 2020
They really beat the whole Minnesota thing to death, yeah? Oh yeah, you betcha, they sure did. I would hardly call Fargo a thriller. Just because a movie has thrilling scenes doesn't make it a thriller. With all it's letdowns, Fargo is stillThey really beat the whole Minnesota thing to death, yeah? Oh yeah, you betcha, they sure did. I would hardly call Fargo a thriller. Just because a movie has thrilling scenes doesn't make it a thriller. With all it's letdowns, Fargo is still a quirky, charming movie with great performances, interesting cinematography and an atmosphere that hugs you and then shoves you down a woodchipper. Expand
geewahJan 15, 2021
A classic.
Witty, smart, violent and quirky, it has all the ingredients to be, and is, one of the best black comedy crime capers ever made.
The casting in this movie deserves a mention as well. It is superb.
AJ_13Jan 11, 2021
Coen's best. Really funny characters with really accurate acting. I prefer the series though.
joshwashereMar 23, 2022
This movie is well done; however, it's so dark and dreary that I couldn't enjoy the black humour. If you want a crime film with good acting, a plot that you can't guess, and if you can stomach a miserable tone throughout the movie - this filmThis movie is well done; however, it's so dark and dreary that I couldn't enjoy the black humour. If you want a crime film with good acting, a plot that you can't guess, and if you can stomach a miserable tone throughout the movie - this film is for you. Expand
SuperbaDMIkeJun 16, 2022
Although Fargo is short with 98 minutes of runtime, but it describes the morality of the Coens brothers mind and they do it great.