Columbia Pictures | Release Date: September 29, 2017
4.1
Mixed or average reviews based on 93 Ratings
Watch Now
Rebecca31Oct 4, 2017
Now here's a movie you might not expect to be in need of a remake but here we are anyway. Surely the whole point of a remake is at the very least to improve upon the original? Well Flatliners 2017 you failed at whatever you hoped to achieve.Now here's a movie you might not expect to be in need of a remake but here we are anyway. Surely the whole point of a remake is at the very least to improve upon the original? Well Flatliners 2017 you failed at whatever you hoped to achieve.

A group of the most unlikable medical students you could possible imagine become obsessed by the idea of life after death. By stopping their hearts (or flatlining themselves) they long to see what the afterlife will hold for them which ultimately starts to have some alarming side effects. And cue the cheap jump scares, endless hallucinations oh and don't forget to throw in a cameo from Kiefer Sutherland because why not. It doesn't know whether it wants to be a horror movie or a psychological thriller, never comfortably fitting into anything but for me it started to drift into Final Destination territory. We all know the only movie that can do Final Destination is you guessed it, Final Destination. So the more it tried to scare me the more ridiculous it became. The 1990 version was by no means a masterpiece but it looks that way compared to this version. It was more focused and had a better cast so if you find yourself considering giving Flatliners a watch on your weekly cinema trip may I suggest you stay at home and watch the original instead.

I said to myself I wasn't going to give this movie the time of day and what did I do? I went to see it anyway in the desperate hope that it might fall into that rare "so bad it's good" category. Well, spoiler alert, it doesn't. I subjected myself to it so there's no need for you to either. Not recommended.
JLuis_001Oct 18, 2017
Completely lost, no scares, no tension, terrible acting and terrible script. I wasn't a fan of the original but at least that one had the atmosphere, this one never walks, never gets momentum, it never gets interesting or at leastCompletely lost, no scares, no tension, terrible acting and terrible script. I wasn't a fan of the original but at least that one had the atmosphere, this one never walks, never gets momentum, it never gets interesting or at least entertaining.

Cheap and worthlesss remake, seriously, what is the point if this film represents those results?
rodericrinehartOct 23, 2017
This was a really poor movie. So boring and stupid in every way. It is not worth it if someone gave you money. Stay away from the awful experience. I feel bad for Ellen Page and Diego Luna.
temptershellOct 24, 2017
Having in my head a brilliant thriller from 27 years ago, I was counting on the equally thrilling and bright movie with good effects. Unfortunately I was disappointed. A trivial scenario, annoying visual effects, and bottomless dialogue.Having in my head a brilliant thriller from 27 years ago, I was counting on the equally thrilling and bright movie with good effects. Unfortunately I was disappointed. A trivial scenario, annoying visual effects, and bottomless dialogue. There was no good settlement or interesting places. Expand
CineAutoctonoOct 21, 2017
"Flatliners" the remake of the 1990 film, was very pretentious and bad, the story was regular, but in itself the performances were the weakest point of the film, and the story with its twists, and its course ended up worsening the things.
TommyTimberlakeJan 21, 2019
Worst movie ever. Not a single good thing about it. Ellen Page dies halfway through too.
jacoobi456Sep 30, 2017
Flatliners is a really bad remake of the good 1990 film. I was wary of the cast going in, as I didn't really like Diego Luna in Rogue One, but surprisingly he was the best actor in the whole film. His character had all the good one-liners,Flatliners is a really bad remake of the good 1990 film. I was wary of the cast going in, as I didn't really like Diego Luna in Rogue One, but surprisingly he was the best actor in the whole film. His character had all the good one-liners, and he was the one you connected with the most.

The main protagonists annoyed me throughout the whole film, as any of the choices made weren't justified at all. In one scene the girl reveals her plan to her friends, and they are of course all against this crazy idea, and then in the next scene they're helping her out as if it's a carefully, well-assessed medical procedure (not a spoiler, trust me.). This leads me onto the main issue of the film - what was the desired message? Don't be a dick to people? Student life is so hectic you feel like dying? Because it honestly felt like the whole film was a shot at how students in university feel, and how they sometimes think the whole world is going to fall down on them. The editing chocies, more specifically the ordering of the scenes were very questionable, as the whole film felt like a huge montage. It was like: so these are the characters flatlining, 1 2 3 4. Now they're noticing the after-effects, 1 2 3 4. Now they're trying to resolve it, 1 2 3 4 - and I was slumped in my chair bored out of my head. The jumpscares weren't scary, if you're seeing the film for the kick of the scares then you'll be disappointed with the outcome. Moments where they tried to evoke emotion for the characters came across as funny, at one part I actually laughed out loud for the entire duration of the scene, and then proceeded to face-palm at the climax of the film later on, as even the ending wasn't at all satisfying. Nothing was really tied up conclusively, and it felt like the whole chain of events had no significance in their lives.

Even the humour wasn't funny, supposed comedic moments were just cringe moments. The film took itself too seriously for what it was, and ultimately that was its demise. In conclusion - stick to the 1990 version.

(PS: Only reason this isn't a 0 is because Ellen Page is in it xD)
EpicLadySpongeSep 29, 2017
Flatliners sinks down the drain in terms of the genres that this movie is lying on due to its sheer lack of whatever you're supposed to call this movie. Makes absolutely no sense if it's lacking something it requires.
OnlyAGreatOnlyOct 14, 2017
The movie is boring, stupid, friend request-like, uncomfortable, and unlike good! The movie is stupid! Adults will hate this! The movie should fail! I do not like this movie!
TVJerryOct 4, 2017
This remake follows the story from the original: a group of medical students decides to stop their hearts so they can study near-death experiences. Naturally, (or unnaturally) the results start out promisingly, but go expectedly wrong. NotThis remake follows the story from the original: a group of medical students decides to stop their hearts so they can study near-death experiences. Naturally, (or unnaturally) the results start out promisingly, but go expectedly wrong. Not only is the concept stale, but the effects aren't inventive and the tension is non-existent. Even Ellen Page, who's usually excellent, can't rise above the pedestrian writing and dull direction. Without any originality or virtues, this film is diagnosed lifeless. Expand
BerikAug 11, 2019
A movie about a bunch of entitled medical students that think they can take shortcuts to a successful career, instead of working for it and facing their own mistakes. Ironically, their bad decisions will force them to face their past.

The

The idea of killing yourself to study what comes after it is... Well what do you think? It's so stupid, so irresponsible and so bizarre... These people are completely unfit to become medical doctors. They even think (and act) as if it makes them edgy and smart. Suddenly some characters even start talking like 5 year olds when some of the group don't agree, telling them to leave if they don't like it. Great writing...

Then comes the horror part, which is even less convincing and lazy. The horror amounts to nothing more than jump scares, distorted voices and stares. As for the actors, someone should have told them how normal human beings behave because they all act like drugged, smug brats. It was dumb, it was not scary, it wasn't entertaining to watch and it hasn't got a grain of logic to it. I give this movie a 3/10 it is a bad movie.
JokohamaApr 28, 2018
Faint story and characters. You can not remember much about this movie after watching.
FilmanwaltDec 17, 2020
The film didn't start out promisingly, but then turned again in the middle only to end boringly. It's a shame, although I can't say whether the film could have been good at all, the whole thing just didn't catch me.