Warner Independent Pictures (WIP) | Release Date: March 14, 2008
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 103 Ratings
Watch Now
SWBYJul 7, 2016
I find it funny that the original and this shot for shot remake with better actors had such different reception, both are terrific dark comedies with the same exact everything, and yet, the lesser minded often dismiss this great piece ofI find it funny that the original and this shot for shot remake with better actors had such different reception, both are terrific dark comedies with the same exact everything, and yet, the lesser minded often dismiss this great piece of cinema as pointless garbage, these people should stop watching movies.This is easily the best dark comedy of all time, an imaginative look at the philosophy of chaos. Expand
luckaksMar 13, 2011
... its not enough to make a movie mix every kind of violence possible and find that - because violence tends to be shocking - the movie itself will have some impact ...

the plot of this film is an empty sequence. No point is madeâ
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
The fact that Naomi Watts is still able to give one of the year's very best performances in a film that doesn't even deserve her presence proves just how talented she is.
DobianNov 7, 2014
Funny Games is for all intents and purposes a snuff film. I am not easily offended (I love A Clockwork Orange, for example), but this movie is the most vile and offensive piece of trash I have ever watched. I never saw the European original,Funny Games is for all intents and purposes a snuff film. I am not easily offended (I love A Clockwork Orange, for example), but this movie is the most vile and offensive piece of trash I have ever watched. I never saw the European original, but have read that it is identical to this one. There is no message, no lesson, nothing of value conveyed to the audience. What's more, through the use of the fourth wall, the director literally mocks the audience, telling the viewer that they are going to watch this poor family get tortured, and even when they finally get the upper hand, I'm going to hit the rewind button (literally) and replay the scene so the brutal sadism can continue. At this point you realize that you are just being toyed with, so what's the point of continuing to watch? Any "suspense" is a hoax; and you realize it was all just a bunch of red herrings to keep you focused on the family's hopeless demise, including the brutalization of a child. I don't know how anyone can find this "art house" film entertaining or engaging in any way. I give it a "1" only out of respect for the quality performances of Naomi Watts and Tim Roth. But whatever possessed them to take on this putrid film, I have no idea. Expand
LeonCarterMar 30, 2014
This movie knows what it wants to be and supports everything about itself. If you love movies with sarcastic evil funny characters and an interesting idea, this is for you.
DanielSolanoDec 26, 2013
I think its name is "Funny Games" because is the film the one is playing with the watcher. Some parts of the movie are very boring, but is very realistic in so many ways.
FilmVirtueFeb 15, 2014
The remake (U.S) version of the film is not as good, let alone effective as the first. I found the film disappointing. Maybe because I originally had high expectations for it. I will say if your going to watch the film, lower your expectations a bit.
ReliablePeerOct 11, 2014
This is a twisted piece of social commentary which test the audience's patience in a way I feel is beneficial to the film. All the characters are well played and there is a real sense of tension throughout.

Not an easy watch, and not one

Not an easy watch, and not one to watch while in a good mood, but a very gripping film regardless.
drone41Feb 9, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What to say about movie where you can watch one scene where mother about 10 minutes just trying to stand up. It'enough from me. Expand
CinemaxFeb 12, 2018
La película violenta por excelencia, Haneke sabe como hacernos sentir participes de la violencia en Funny Games, la película tiene una personalidad especial, nada parecido a la violencia empleada por Tarantino, Scorsese, ni Kubrick. Por loLa película violenta por excelencia, Haneke sabe como hacernos sentir participes de la violencia en Funny Games, la película tiene una personalidad especial, nada parecido a la violencia empleada por Tarantino, Scorsese, ni Kubrick. Por lo que sabemos que no nos dejara indiferente.
Haneke también pretende criticar los espectadores estadounidenses cuando van a los cines a ver violencia, muchas veces gratuita, sin angustiarse. Algo que ocurrirá en esta película en la mayoría de los momentos.
acescarterApr 5, 2011
Haneke's attempt at creating "unbearable cinema" ultimately failed with this film, in my opinion. I found it quite boring because it is overly focused at trying to provoke emotions from the audience and in doing so lost all meaning. There wasHaneke's attempt at creating "unbearable cinema" ultimately failed with this film, in my opinion. I found it quite boring because it is overly focused at trying to provoke emotions from the audience and in doing so lost all meaning. There was no plot, no build up, nothing. I quicker recommend that one watched paint dry before I recommend this film for anyone. Expand
RegOzApr 6, 2012
I absolutey love this film! This is a psychological thriller -although not psychologically challenging- that will keep you in suspense from the beginning to the end. Things start slowly and they build up little by little. I know this movieI absolutey love this film! This is a psychological thriller -although not psychologically challenging- that will keep you in suspense from the beginning to the end. Things start slowly and they build up little by little. I know this movie can be very disturbing for some, perhaps even unbearable; but others will get caught, haunted by it. We should also consider that this is not a movie that aims to teach you something. Not at all! After all, that is not the purpose of a movie -or at least this type of movies-, the 'lesson' you get from a movie is an extra! Nevertheless, if a movie moves you, and makes you feel strong, deep emotions -either positive or negative- then, there has to be something special and/or great about that film. I did feel this movie, intensely!. Undoubtedly, the reactions that people have about Funny Games, are antagonistic, but many, as myself, probably feel that this is a movie to keep at home, in our collection! One thing I celebrate about this movie, is the ending....it says 'bye' to predictable, happy endings;not that there is something wrong with happy endings, but it is good to see something different every now and then. A solid 9, for sure! Expand
LanthimosSucksDec 25, 2017
Yeah i know what that Haneke dude tried to do ok...but whatever really.Kinda boring.Mostly boring.And pointless.
30CentsJun 20, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Under weighted by all of its cliches and terrible dialogue, Funny Games is nothing more than an excuse to sell movie tickets.

Plot:
The film starts out with a family of 3, a mother, a father, and a son who is on their way to the summer vacation home where this movie is taken place. The movie hits us with a heavy-metal song as soon as the title appears, it does not have anything to do with the movie itself, kind of random that it is there. The family pulls up and unpacks everything that they had brought with them, then they hear someone from the backyard. Two men with white golf suits on (similar to the costumes in A Clockwork Orange) ask for eggs, the family gives them some eggs as they requested. The two men request more eggs, the family tries to force the two men away, but one of the men gets angry and breaks the dad's leg with a golf club. Instead of trying to kill these idiots who broke into their house, the mother and the son try to comfort the father while the antagonists keeps them hostage.

The two main villains force the family to play games with them in order to stay alive, one of the two men asks the mother and the father betting they will be alive by 9:00 A.M the next morning. Why can't the mother or the son who is not injured just kill these men, and why are they forced to make a bet? Anyway, the two men force the mother to strip while the father and the son painfully watch her, we then get a short story from the two men mentioning their pasts with each other, this has nothing to do with the story line, and it is never explained what is causing these men to torture this family.

The son tries to find a way to stop these men by sneaking out of the house, he tries to climb over a fence to the neighbors house, but finds they are dead implied that they have been killed by the same men. Instead of going to another house and getting help, the son turns back around to go back to his family where the sadistic mad men are. The son grabs a shotgun he finds upstairs and attempts to kill one of the men, but of course is fails to go off and the man grabs the shotgun from him. The son is forced back downstairs with his mother and father, the two mad men play a small game of eeny meeny miny moe to see who will die first, the last word ends on the son, he tries to escape but he his shot off-screen.

The two sadistic men then leave the house to go get something, we then get a seven minute conversation between the mother and the father losing the life of their son. This scene only has one camera shot, and goes no where with the plot besides talking about calling the police and only shows them weeping. The mother tries to get the father to come with her, but unfortunately with the father's broken leg he cannot leave with her. The mother then tries to call for help on the street, why can't she just knock at someone else's door to get help? Anyway, a car comes up then the screen fades back to the father in pain.

The two sadistic mad man capture the mom again and forces them to continue their game. The mom is forced to decide what to do next, to kill her husband slowly with a knife, or kill him quickly with a shotgun that is lying right in front of her. The mom finally does the right thing and picks up the shotgun and kill one of the sadistic mad men, but that is overshadowed by the other man who is still alive. The last mad man alive then picks up a T.V remote and initiates breaking the 4th wall by rewinding the entire scene to pretend his partner never died. There are so many things wrong with this it's is too confusing to talk about, and of course, this is never explained, thanks movie for making your plot worse than it already is. So after bringing his partner back to life, the attempt to grab the shotgun ultimately fails, one of the men then takes the shotgun and kills the dad.

The scene then transitions to the next morning the two men take the mom all tied up in a row boat, once again she tries to escape by grabbing a knife and cutting the rope, but fails and is thrown in the water. The two men then go to another house backyard and asks the neighbor for more eggs, implying that they will do this again, the movie then ends with the same awful music it had in the beginning.

Final Opinion:
Funny Games is a poorly directed film by a foreign director, the film was remade 10 years prior to this movie's remake. The director seemed to have wanted more attention for this film by making the movie all over again, just with American actors. Naomi Watts and Tim Roth completely embarrasses them selves by poorly acting in this film. This movie overall does a good job of keeping you in your seat hoping the movie will get better but seeing that the ending sucked.

This is hands down, the worst movie I have ever seen, the movie is so slow of getting to its main point: kill the family. The movie tries to be an "Art Film" this is in no means an art film of any sort. Don't even look at this film.
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
Michael Haneke gets his point across, but has to sacrifice all semblance of entertainment to do so. It's a shame because there was a lot of talent behind this film.
j1trainSep 13, 2015
Impossible to like but easy to admire for its craft and extraordinary cast. Funny Games is uncomfortable and you'll probably hate it. Watts is superb though.
RikiegeJan 22, 2013
Try to be a masterpiece, but to no avail.
LegitSaltMay 29, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Juxtaposition. This film uses and reuses juxtaposition so effectively, it might as well be a case study in the technique. The first example of this is in the opening credits, as classical music is suddenly replaced with an intense metal sound. Later, the fourth-wall is used to juxtapose brutal and intense actions. Before I turned this film on, I had never seen a Haneke film, and now, two weeks later I had seen four. Haneke is able to direct and control the motion and action on the screen with such an expertise, it is a wonder that he is more appreciated. In the case of 'Funny Games', the kid not only has an incredible emotional range but also seems almost too authentic. Naomi Watts and Tim Roth play some of the most engaging characters that I have seen on screen to date, causing the audience to feel and experience their every pain. In regards to horror, this movie excels. Lashing out brutally under the cover of wealthy, kind, white folk, yet, at the same time, never truly showing anything at all. No violence is ever permanently shown on screen, not only allowing for incredible suspense build up, but also eliminating any need for CGI blood or gore. This movie also serves as a parody and cometary of both white elitist culture, and the cheap horror genre. In one case, pointing out the ridiculousness of having few individuals so much higher in wealth and status than other. Whilst for the other, commenting on the unnecessary violence, and brutal torture, all in the name of entertainment, our entertainment. In this regard, the movie mocks its own viewers, with the questions it poses in regards to why the film is happening, and what is being obtained from it. In the end, we don't win, the expectations that we are openly promised my the tormentors are shown to be pipe dreams, and everyone dies. After this, the movie comes full circle, and it is made clear that this futile effort will be repeated ad nauseum, resulting in the same outcome each time. There is a particularly well-composed scene when the kid is at the neighbour's house. Here, he is stealthily walking around, trying to avoid his captor. This fails when he comes face to face with the decimated corpse of the former resident, which sparks a downward spiral leading to his capture and death. I could go on and on about how excellent this film is, but I still have to admit it has its flaws. The main ones being the convenience of having no landline, and the moronic behaviour of Naomi Watts as she tries to flee. Despite these missteps, I love this film, and will no doubt return to it. I recommend this to anyone interested in either film, horror, or intense engaging stories. Expand
mainstreamkidMay 23, 2019
"I mean, what do you think? You think they stand a chance? Oh, you're on their side, aren't you? Who are you betting on, hmm?"

Exactly like Michael Haneke's Funny Games (1997), Funny Games (2007) is a dark comedy that satirizes its own genre and challenges its viewer.

So meta. So smart. So good.
DeanomiteJan 10, 2020
I think what does not work here is that the family is never angry or upset or do they surrender, which i guess would work very well given contemporary people. People today are so glued to their phones and egos, I could see them sleepingI think what does not work here is that the family is never angry or upset or do they surrender, which i guess would work very well given contemporary people. People today are so glued to their phones and egos, I could see them sleeping through a humiliating invasion. The best part is breaking the fourth wall, and Naomi Watts' excellent performance. And the ending.
There is something so terrifying about people who attack under the guise of civility. When authorities become involved they are likely to side with the aggressors, regardless of the nature of the attack. If it is in a work setting, the supervisor is likely to side with the aggressor, to discredit the victim. The only defense from the position of the victim is to never be cordial in the first place to anyone at anytime, lest the interaction be reframed to suit the attacker. I wrote a guide on how to interact safely, the only option is never to joke with people, that gives them license to claim insult. Never analyze, explain, gossip, lend, share information, avoid smokers and people with tattoos as these types are more likely to have repressed anxiety.