Paramount Pictures | Release Date: October 11, 2019
4.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 89 Ratings
Watch Now
tropicAcesOct 11, 2019
It’s not original or high-art (and the claim-to-fame de-aging of Smith isn’t even de-aging, it’s CGI motion capture), but I enjoyed it. I’m a sucker for the “betrayed by the government” sub-genre of thrillers, so that plus the “will WillIt’s not original or high-art (and the claim-to-fame de-aging of Smith isn’t even de-aging, it’s CGI motion capture), but I enjoyed it. I’m a sucker for the “betrayed by the government” sub-genre of thrillers, so that plus the “will Will Smith’s clone looks great or awful in this scene” kept me entertained. Expand
The3AcademySinsOct 15, 2019
Gemini man is a spectacle that lacks substance. Is it the worst movie ever created? No, definitely not. However, the story truly does not live up to the deep, thought-provoking epic that the marketing campaign lead us to believe we would see.Gemini man is a spectacle that lacks substance. Is it the worst movie ever created? No, definitely not. However, the story truly does not live up to the deep, thought-provoking epic that the marketing campaign lead us to believe we would see. The final product of Gemini man feels like a tech-demo starring Will Smith with about thirty minutes of script hidden behind some good action scenes. While the action is fun, and Will Smith does have some good one liners, the action lacks weight. As far as the tech showcase we were supposed to see with the deaging and the HFR, there really is not a noticeable difference between this format and regular high definition. This might be an okay movie to throw on in the background, but there was nothing here that grabbed my attention. Expand
Hotgeek88Oct 11, 2019
The cinematography is beautiful. If you appreciate films for their artistic value, this is a must-see. Lots of gorgeous shots. Only giving five stars, because the storyline was just meh. Very predictable.
TeeWesOct 13, 2019
The movie was awesome! Action packed with a good story line. I don't know why they are trying to tank the reviews because the movie was great. It's definitely worth seeing it. I would watch it again. Go see it and enjoy it.
jaywest6Oct 14, 2019
The high frame rate and 3D were great to me. That was my first time seeing a film presented that way. I enjoyed the simple yet engaging story. The acting was good to me. Action was good also.
bokchoi1018Oct 15, 2019
The De-aging effect surprisingly did not bother me at least, and the production behind it was great. But there wasn't any interesting story plot and character development to make this movie a great movie and ended becoming one of theThe De-aging effect surprisingly did not bother me at least, and the production behind it was great. But there wasn't any interesting story plot and character development to make this movie a great movie and ended becoming one of the forgettable movies of 2019. Expand
Tyron820Oct 13, 2019
I don’t get this critics, this movie is great okay it has 2 Will smith and a Will smith child

10/10 masterpiece
FyendoOct 11, 2019
Will Smith stars as Will Smith and Will Smith in Willsmithi Man. I liked this movie better the first time around with Arnold when it was called 6th Day.
ojtOct 12, 2019
A turkey! Strange movie, which starts OK but falls into ridiculousness. Looks like an old computer game, ans Smiths close looks like bad CGI. Owen and Winstead are good, but Smith is stale even when not a data animated younger clone.
notlimitedwolfOct 12, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well the whole film was very boring. The cript was cool for 2006, when star wars clone war has been released. Clone of a clone of a clone of a clone...
Maybe the film could get better rate if it could be at least 1 hour, not more. The script is written for 30 mins.
PimpinpakmanOct 11, 2019
If you watch it, then try and watch it in 3D with HFR. Its def worth the premium pricing because the action throughout the movie is on a different level with 3D effects and higher frame rate. Usually movies are changed to 3d post productionIf you watch it, then try and watch it in 3D with HFR. Its def worth the premium pricing because the action throughout the movie is on a different level with 3D effects and higher frame rate. Usually movies are changed to 3d post production and they don't do 3D justice, however this movie was filmed with 3D in mind and it shows. As for the story, to be honest its pretty straightforward, there are no twists, you can tell from the very beginning how the story will unfold. Its an action flick. and thats all it is but because of the visual aspect, i would say its worth it in theaters rather than waiting for it on tv. If you already saw the joker and want to see another movie, i would go give it a try lol Expand
flametail23Oct 12, 2019
This one borders on being so bad that its good but it doesn't quite reach that level and instead ends up being a chore to sit through. Just another bland movie in 2019 with a generic, over done plot and boring action.
joeyabukiOct 13, 2019
Piece of crap. Everything is bad in this movie. Script (ridiculous lines of dialog), plot, performances, CGI. Sometimes young Will is worse than #Superman's mustache. It is innovative and spectacular in how it was filmed, with 3d cameras atPiece of crap. Everything is bad in this movie. Script (ridiculous lines of dialog), plot, performances, CGI. Sometimes young Will is worse than #Superman's mustache. It is innovative and spectacular in how it was filmed, with 3d cameras at 4Kand 120fps, but at the same time that image is difficult to process in our eyes and brain, it seems like a soap opera format and not a movie. Expand
JiveguyOct 14, 2019
I've seen 3 Marvel films over the past year and to be honest, I enjoyed Gemini man more than all of those combined. Just don't watch the trailers.

Really good CGI, a plot you don't need a degree in comic books to understand, not PC / preachy overload and best of all, no fake humour every 30 seconds.

I can only assume that some of the critics were watching a different film or didn't get paid enough to give it a higher score. Give it a chance and see it in 3D like I did, and make up your own mind about it
nightstalker930Oct 12, 2019
Very good movie, loved the story, loved the cast, loved the action! Don't understand the negative reviews!
amir3BBBOct 13, 2019
**** critics they don’t know **** just talking **** about movies talking **** about albums like revival kamikaze they scared as ****
EmperorWuOct 12, 2019
Will Smith was spectacular and Lee did a great directing job. The movie also bought up a very good moral issue!
ViczlatanOct 11, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plz don't listen to critics, this movie is fantastic with action set pieces and smooth frame rate. Although the story is predictable ,the acting style of Will Smith makes it engaging. Expand
BerikOct 13, 2019
Boring, emotionless, lazy and above all else... A waste of your time. I wondered for nearly two hours how this abomination came to be... But then i saw David Benioff credited as writer, and suddenly everything made sense again.

The story:

The story: Will Smith is a hitman, who is indoctrinated with the idea that he's 'the best', even though no arguments are presented to support that theory, nor are other assassins presented. Nonetheless, we watch a movie with over one hour of lazy and emotionless conversations that haven't been changed from the first draft of the script. Will Smith, who is usually such a good actor, has no emotional reaction to hearing that someone used his DNA to create a Clone before the first sheep was cloned... The ****

Some of the fight scenes are impressive by using high frame rate camera's, but can't elevate the movie higher than something that looks like it was filmed on a spare requisite set. Supposed soldiers die like flies, and the laws of physics only apply to those that aren't working for the government. Yuck.

I could go on about this abomination, but the fact remains that this movie is underwhelming and lazy in each aspect. Stay away from it, don't watch it on any streaming platform, and go watch Rambo: Last Blood. Sylvester Stallone is not a good actor, but his performance is Shakespeare compared to Gemini Man. I give this movie a 3/10. It is a terrible movie.
BillweOct 11, 2019
---------------------Suck-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WaltongOct 13, 2019
No one must have seen this in 3D! Wonderful theater experience in 3D. Don't believe the negative hype.
spraxTIOct 14, 2019
I have specially registered an account here just to helpconvince you guys that movie ain't that bad. My mistake was to watch a lot of reviews of this movie before attending cinemas and I was negative anticipating everything from this movie,I have specially registered an account here just to helpconvince you guys that movie ain't that bad. My mistake was to watch a lot of reviews of this movie before attending cinemas and I was negative anticipating everything from this movie, but.....

Fine, let's break it down by parts what was really good and what was bad in my opinion as a viewer who likes Will Smith acting.

Good: Actors.
Will Smith - he was decent here, not the best role ever but his acting here was good 910.
The rest actors were not very impressive, tbh I don't even know who are they. The girl usually acting in some mysticalhorror movies, not best choice IMHO.

CGI:
Since it's my first HFR movie, everything in the movie was above and beyond. Yes, guys, it's not marvel or dc, you will not see super effects or super fights, but believe me or not, the HFR makes this movie really good. Every chase scene, every fight scene feels so smooth that you can't even share it here by text. It's really worth your money. It's almost the same when you spent all your entire life on 60hz monitor and switched to 144hz with G-sync. It's like the next level. Unfortunately, I watched some reviews before the movie and it was my biggest mistake since almost everyone said how this bad the movie is. How bad young Will Smith was in CGI perspective, etc. And because of that, I was watching very closely at young Will Smith, I was trying to find anything just to confirm what critics said, fortunately, didn't find anything. Even my friends who are not watching movies that much, even trailers, said: 'How that young actor was really good, interesting who is that guy, never seen him before in any movies'. Well, that was a bit fun for me, and I've explained that it's CGI, etc. Hence they said it was really good. So let's say we are satisfied with it. For such movie - 1010(if it were marvel movie type then the mark would be a lot lower.

Chasingfight scenescamera:
HFR really matters here. The camera was very smooth in every scene, zoom- zoom out was not shaking at all, everything was in the move and very smooth and at the same time very dynamic. There are scenes that are shot by 1 frame (scenes which are continuously going for 20-30 seconds by a single camera, with cool views and angles).
Motobike chase scene - very dynamic and fast, especially with HFR. To believe in it, guys you must watch it. Do not believe or trust anyone else review, watch your self and make your opinion regarding this movie. Catacombs fight scene - if not HFR, nothing really special here. Just 2 guys fighting between each other. But with that frame rate, it feels so fast, so smooth... I was watching that scene on a 1 breath. From technical point and operators' work - I have nothing to say, this is probably something the best I ever saw recently. It was really worth attending the movie to check yourself.

Now it's time to discuss what was bad in the movie, which could be improved:

Soundtrack - nothing memorable, very usual and static. They were applied very well in the fightingchase scenes, but nothing extraordinary to remember, so 410.

Storyline - 404 error: the storyline is not found. Very cliche story, cliche characters, even Will Smith. 4.510.

Action - movie basically has 3 or 4 action scenes with the shooting which is extremely low for such movie. Watching this movie in HFR gives you the wish to see more and more action but the movie is not giving it to you... Like teasing you... I was very satisfied with that few actions scenes, but I am not glad that its count is ultra-low. 410.

Overall, I think I covered everything that was really important for me in a movie, the details I paid attention to, etc. I hope it was helpful. Cheers guys and as I mentioned above, see the movie and make your opinion about it.
phillipwhite84Oct 14, 2019
It was a solid 8 ino because I like will smith but ppl are over exaggerating as usual which is why i did 10. Most would give it a 6.5 at the lowest if they were honest and probably settle between 7 and 7.5 on average. It was pretty good. IIt was a solid 8 ino because I like will smith but ppl are over exaggerating as usual which is why i did 10. Most would give it a 6.5 at the lowest if they were honest and probably settle between 7 and 7.5 on average. It was pretty good. I left the movie theater with a warm feeling. So do with that what you will. Enjoyable watch. Expand
TVJerryOct 17, 2019
Will Smith does some of his best acting in this film, which is doubly impressive since he's essentially playing 2 roles. First, he's a 50ish government assassin who's ready to retire. He also plays the 20-year-old clone of himself, who isWill Smith does some of his best acting in this film, which is doubly impressive since he's essentially playing 2 roles. First, he's a 50ish government assassin who's ready to retire. He also plays the 20-year-old clone of himself, who is sent to kill the original version. This is supposed to be an action film, but there's too much conversation, which dulls the pace. Most of the fights aren't special with the exception of an incredible motorcycle chase that's impressively close up and wild. Director Ang Lee has directed with an assured hand, but the lackluster script gets in the way and slows him down. As for the de-aging effect, it's pretty impressive and the most memorable thing about the film. One woke change: The older version of the character teams up with a much younger woman, but they do NOT end up in bed! Expand
Quartz64Oct 20, 2019
A movie can't stand only on a new tech and forget good writing or basic animation effects.
eagleeyevikingOct 16, 2019
Ang Lee's "Gemini Man" boasts an interesting premise and cool action and HFR effects. However, the script is inconsistent, the tone is too serious, all the jokes fall flat, the pacing is uneven, and the scenes between the action sequences areAng Lee's "Gemini Man" boasts an interesting premise and cool action and HFR effects. However, the script is inconsistent, the tone is too serious, all the jokes fall flat, the pacing is uneven, and the scenes between the action sequences are boring and too expositionary. Expand
JLuis_001Oct 18, 2019
With the exception of the de-aging visual technique - which by the way is no longer innovative - Gemini Man is a terribly forgettable and predictable action film.

The script is flaccid, simplistic and inoperative. The dialogues are laughable

The script is flaccid, simplistic and inoperative. The dialogues are laughable that any small attempt to make the experience something more serious disappears completely because you simply cannot get into the story and the film does nothing to try to interest you.

It's obvious that Will Smith was really interested in the project but it seems that the rest of those involved were not.
Not even Ang Lee, who delivers his weakest film since his hedious adaptation of the Hulk in 2003.

This is a film to watch on a weekend if you don't have better options or are looking for an overly simplified action story to burn some time.
People will hardly mention it when they talk about Will Smith's or Ang Lee's career.
You will hardly talk about it after seeing it, and no one will be talking about it in a couple of months.
SinuousGraceOct 14, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw it in 4K 60fps 3D. I recommend you do too. First of all, the technology used to recreate Will Smith as a young guy was hit or miss. In some scenes it was very convincing, but in others I could sense the same dead eyes and weird expressions that I’m used to from videogame cutscenes. There was a sappy college campus scene at the very end that looked particularly bad from a CGI perspective. His jean jacket looked like maybe a PS3 texture. Second, the movie itself wasn’t bad. It was an action film. It would have been better if the violence felt more impactful, but like in many films the characters seemed to be able to shrug off bullet wounds, take enormous physical abuse with just a few aches and minor cuts, and heal lacerations and abrasions at remarkable speed. I thought the story was passable. A little bit of Bourne, a little bit of Orphan Black. It’s not going to win any awards and some things (such as the implications of cloning or the super soldier program) could have been done a lot better, but it wasn’t terrible by any means. I did think there was an interesting point raised at the end by the main villain. Now, as to the 60 fps. I thought it was amazing! It was so clear, it was like being there. Right off the bat I got this feeling of the veil being lifted, like a layer of vaseline that pervades all other films had been wiped clean. It was very easy to follow the action, even just camera pans, and to feel a part of it. The actors could not hide behind the judder of film creating artifical gravitas. Instead, I was there with them, seeing what they were ACTUALLY doing in each scene. It is un-movie-like, because I think we’re used to the obscuration of the low frame rate – think about when you’ve seen “behind the scenes” features or “making of” clips shot on video, where it feels like you’re seeing the ACTUAL scene and actors revealed without the layer of “film” turning it into a film. That’s what it felt like, like we’re getting to see a whole movie done like that in a much more true-to-life way. I didn’t notice any of the lack of depth of field that a couple of reviewers have complained about – there was quite a lot of depth focus / blurriness as well as decent 3D. I would say the 3D effect was used sparingly and didn’t take center stage. I’ve certainly seen more pronounced 3D, going all the way back to Avatar 2009. I had no trouble following anything or taking it all in, in fact I would say it was the opposite – but this type of film might lend itself more to that, since (other than young Will Smith) there was effectively no obvious CGI whereas The Hobbit film was mostly CGI.

Now, as to the action sequences – WOW. The first scene that made my jaw drop was the motorcycle chase scene and attempted assassination. It was stunning! The other scene that I would say really showed the potential was a fight scene between the two Wills down in some sort of catacomb with skulls. It was so easy to follow the fast action and to know everything that was happening (unlike, say, the Bourne films). There were other flourishes throughout the film – the drowning scene felt extremely real, whereas slow motion breaking bottles and water splashing were pure eye candy. On a 120Hz or 240Hz television with frame interpolation turned on, there are obvious artifacts everywhere you look and the effect is fairly unpleasant (despite the fact that 90% of the LCD televisions I’ve seen in peoples’ homes have the feature turned all the way up). This was smooth but also immaculately clear with no artifacts, obviously. I’d love to see what 120fps looks like (no currently available projector can do 120fps in 4K with 3D). Overall I didn’t find it distracting (the young Will CGI was sometimes immersion-breaking, however). I really liked it, I’d just like to see a better film utilize it. Actually I can think back to a lot of existing films that would have benefited from this.
followmeuebokOct 22, 2019
It's a goddamn great movie , it's unreasonable to get into the movie details in this comment, just want to say that I give it 10 out of 10 . I don't really think that those "critics" are qualified enough to criticize the movie ...
JumpCut_OnlineOct 20, 2019
After a 20 year wait, Gemini Man fails to deliver. It lacks the fun and energy it is so desperately calling out for and the script is the biggest let down, everything falls flat. More style over substance. Definitely a missed opportunity forAfter a 20 year wait, Gemini Man fails to deliver. It lacks the fun and energy it is so desperately calling out for and the script is the biggest let down, everything falls flat. More style over substance. Definitely a missed opportunity for something great. Expand
TheMovieDuderOct 12, 2019
This movie was way better than I expected. The beginning wasn’t amazing but it builds to a form a nice film altogether. The action sequences were awesome and that’s why I went to to this movie, not for an oscar winning plot cmon people.
DatBoi27Oct 19, 2019
Decent movie, not super good, but very enjoyable. No idea why critics say it is so bad.
BradMorganOct 14, 2019
A film full of action with a thin story. Fighting scenes were intense, but animations did not always go well. The face of the younger version of Will also seemed cut out of a video game sometimes (especially the last scene this was done veryA film full of action with a thin story. Fighting scenes were intense, but animations did not always go well. The face of the younger version of Will also seemed cut out of a video game sometimes (especially the last scene this was done very badly). Furthermore, the sound design of the weapons is very good. This is a nice film for the casual viewer. Expand
JimwardOct 16, 2019
This movie was 90s cheese and it’s f**ing awesoe, Will Smith awesome, the Action was awesome even the de-aging was awesome
DumplebugOct 12, 2019
Young will Smith's face is not too convincing. At the end he looks very cgi. A gimmick instead of a real believable storyline. Being a father myself, makes the story almost completely unbelievable. I love sci-fi / action/ fantasy. It was aYoung will Smith's face is not too convincing. At the end he looks very cgi. A gimmick instead of a real believable storyline. Being a father myself, makes the story almost completely unbelievable. I love sci-fi / action/ fantasy. It was a weak movie. Not very believable. It was entertaining. Not a complete dud. I saw it in Imax HFR. Don't waste your money. See it in a regular theater. The effects and 3D weren't that good. Expand
JordanMOct 12, 2019
Seen before, done many times, there isn't much new with "Gemini Man" except it's gimmick feature of cloning.

That being said, it's not bad, it's just simple. The story is basic and has been similar to the plot of many other action films that involve government security. Although they play it safe it does excite, it does draw you in, and it is enjoyable. What counts most in movies like this, that try to get you asking questions, is the ending. When you think of the plot and soak in what just happened, you cannot help but think "oh, it's a less complicated Bourne movie."

Acting from its lead, Will Smith, is great and he is in incredible shape for his age. He is undoubtedly committed and truly becomes the character that's been written for him. He is impressive when acting out his clone, however the CGI is hard to watch. For the most part it works, but some scenes focus too much on his face, forcing the viewer to dwell on the fakeness of the CGI. The supporting cast are also quite good, although a little shallow with them not being fleshed out as well as they could have been. This isn't because of their acting ability, but because the writing was simple.

At the end of the day, what takes away from this film is it's writing. It could have explored the moral choices and consequences of cloning a little more but all we get is a little conversation at the end with no real outcome. If not that, it could have made the plot of government conspiracy a little more complex and heavy.

Good acting. Fun time. Uncomplicated.
AcooleyOct 14, 2019
Very Good movie. Aside from the action and outlandish premise it's pretty mellow. The performances were alright in my book. It's great not hearing Will Smith scream. It's nice seeing him more reserved. It's a shame people call it bland.Very Good movie. Aside from the action and outlandish premise it's pretty mellow. The performances were alright in my book. It's great not hearing Will Smith scream. It's nice seeing him more reserved. It's a shame people call it bland. Story could have been deeper and we could have seen how the clones were created in flashbacks and we could have seen more of Clive Owen's villain. The technology, action, and pace were fine to me. Good entertainment. Expand
VicDamonejrOct 15, 2019
This movie could have been a better with an R rating. People were shot in the head and clear mist just sprays. The red stuff would have been better. I dug the parallels between Harry and Jr. Harry trying to save him and Jr being resilient atThis movie could have been a better with an R rating. People were shot in the head and clear mist just sprays. The red stuff would have been better. I dug the parallels between Harry and Jr. Harry trying to save him and Jr being resilient at first was neat. If there was more showing Jr's creation It would have added more layers to me. I had fun. The smooth motion 3D was the **** Expand
ChekaiOct 16, 2019
Story is OK, but the action sequence and the way it was shot makes it an interesting experience, especially in 3D and high frame rate cinemas.
dkrussOct 18, 2019
Will Smith did an Amazing job, no doubt! The technology was great and story line. The ending could have been more exciting.
munihs96Oct 19, 2019
Amazing movie with some nice comedic touches in between. Fair enough action disobeys lawa of physics but come on, it's a movie for goodness sake not a sciemce documentary.
Jesus12Oct 22, 2019
This movie is think to watch in 3d for best experiencie is not to watch in 2d in 3d is a beatiful movie
sheilatressOct 22, 2019
I kinda thought this looked okay and it looked like it had some good action scenes but i was very wrong!
TALKINGPICTURESOct 23, 2019
@PhilipWhite84 gave this 10, despite wanting to give it an 8. I am giving it a 6 for course-correction.