Columbia Pictures | Release Date: July 15, 2016
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 2044 Ratings
1,376
Watch Now
dannygardsJul 16, 2016
Against my better judgement i did actually watch this cash grab... all i can say is shame on everone involved, and shame on the politically correct critics who were afraid of a sexism backlash if they reviewed this one honestly... either thatAgainst my better judgement i did actually watch this cash grab... all i can say is shame on everone involved, and shame on the politically correct critics who were afraid of a sexism backlash if they reviewed this one honestly... either that or they were paid well! Expand
mike-hatJul 16, 2016
What happens when you take an original, funny, timeless movie like Ghostbusters(1984) and reboot it, smear it with unfunny one liners, thinly veiled misandry, steal its scenes because you're creatively bankrupt and try to profit on its name?What happens when you take an original, funny, timeless movie like Ghostbusters(1984) and reboot it, smear it with unfunny one liners, thinly veiled misandry, steal its scenes because you're creatively bankrupt and try to profit on its name?

You get Ghostbusters 2016: an insultingly bad cash grab that tries to sell itself as an "upgrade" to the first film, while using gender politics to shield itself from any type of criticism.

Don't waste your money.
Costs1129Jul 15, 2016
I have had more entertaining stomach flus. The entire movie felt so... desperate. They were desperate to seem funny, desperate to appeal to nostalgia, desperate to keep our attention. Their desperation become so obvious you begin to pityI have had more entertaining stomach flus. The entire movie felt so... desperate. They were desperate to seem funny, desperate to appeal to nostalgia, desperate to keep our attention. Their desperation become so obvious you begin to pity those involved in its creation. Expand
rarest_pepeJul 16, 2016
I loved the original when I was a kid, and was pretty hyped for this one despite the haters.
While the actresses are ok and the CGI, while plenty, are not too bad, there is a huge problem : it's absolutely not funny.
The writing is

The writing is completely flat, delivery feels forced; it looked very amateurish; and after the first 10 minutes you realize you will be bored for the next hour and a half.

Sorely disappointed...
ablemoodJul 16, 2016
I hated to say it, but the haters got this one right. Let me be clear, ripping on a film you haven't even seen is still a bit childish, but the movie is just awful. I took my family to see it last night, and never in my life have I everI hated to say it, but the haters got this one right. Let me be clear, ripping on a film you haven't even seen is still a bit childish, but the movie is just awful. I took my family to see it last night, and never in my life have I ever seen an audience more stone-faced during a comedy. It was a weird almost uncomfortable atmosphere.

It doesn't work as a comedy targeted at adults; many of the jokes are beyond worn out and predictable. The effects are cartoonish. The film doesn't work as a family picture either. Some of the humor actually pretty crude. I can not recommend this for those with younger kids. Throughout the entire film, i sat there wondering: "Who exactly was the target audience for this?"

My girls did not enjoy it, and I was bored out of my skull after about the first half. The only redeeming thing for me was Wiig. She was her usal offbeat, but charming self. McCarthy was just awful. Literally nothing redeeming about her performance. Jones who is usually hilarious, was saddled with a bad script and some truly horrible lines. McKinnon is just kind of there. She was utterly forgettable. The males in the movie don't fair much better. Hemsworth hammed it up, but it was way over the top. Even the usually solid Andy Garcia looked like he was phoning it in. Cameos from some of the original cast members felt shoehorned in as well.

All in all, I wanted to like this, hell I defended this, but it falls well short of the mark. Save your money, and wait for it to hit the bargain bin.
BrianMcCriticJul 15, 2016
A giant disappointment from many extremely talented people. From the moment that this new cast was announced and Director Paul Feig was brought on board I was excited about this film. I like all the female leads in this film and IA giant disappointment from many extremely talented people. From the moment that this new cast was announced and Director Paul Feig was brought on board I was excited about this film. I like all the female leads in this film and I especially love them working with Feig. From Bridesmaids to The Heat to Spy, Paul Feig really knows how to direct all female casts. Unfortunately he fails to deliver with Ghostbusters, a horribly unfunny waste of time. I've seen worse in 2016 but I haven't seen anything as disappointing. D Expand
thunderbeansJul 16, 2016
What a huge disappointment. I went into this with an open mind and left frustrated and annoyed. There were a few moments that made me chuckle, and I absolutely loved the intro scene, to the point that I turned to my gf and said "if the restWhat a huge disappointment. I went into this with an open mind and left frustrated and annoyed. There were a few moments that made me chuckle, and I absolutely loved the intro scene, to the point that I turned to my gf and said "if the rest is like that I will be soooo happy, that was awesome!". Unfortunately it was not. The plot was absolutely terrible, the forced cameos were completely unnecessary and the ending was horrendous.

The actresses were a bit of a split bag, Melissa Mcarthy and Leslie Jones were actually the funniest out of the bunch, which I was not expecting. The trailers showed Leslie Jones character to be a stereotypical sassy black woman, when instead she played very similar to the originals Winston Zeddemore. Kristen Wigg was ok, however Kate McKinnon's "wacky" character grated from the very start, feeling very forced and irritating.

I really am still scratching my head over a lot of the plot trying to understand it.

Overall this was a below average, poorly written movie that actually showed some potential but couldn't get past the awful plot.
ArmondpryceJul 16, 2016
Cheesy acting, dumb jokes, cliche and horrible written characters. The GhostBusters Reboot will pass like another failed intent to gained fame at expenses of a classic franchise
TSmallsJul 16, 2016
This turns out to be just a really bad movie and an insult to the Ghostbusters franchise. After all the years of Sony saying no to making a new Ghostbusters movie and when they finally decide to this is the result. The actors in this movieThis turns out to be just a really bad movie and an insult to the Ghostbusters franchise. After all the years of Sony saying no to making a new Ghostbusters movie and when they finally decide to this is the result. The actors in this movie just don't create the sort of chemistry and flow that made the original great. That being said it is also not their fault as they are not bad themselves. Kate McKinnon does a good job with what she has to work with as does Leslie Jones even though she is put into such a stereotypical character. I look forward to seeing these two in much better films. The writing in this film is just awful and in large the most atrocious part of this movie. The male characters are horrible and other than Chris Hemsworth are completely forgettable. The cameos by the original cast are absolutely terrible and insulting. I did still enjoy Annie Potts but her cameo could have been much better to. There is just so much in this movie that makes no sense. In the first film since the Ghostbusters were new to this they basically destroyed the hotel with their proton packs just trying to catch Slimer but in this film they are all great shots somehow. The CGI overall was not very good and this movie seemed like it would have been better as a cartoon or a movie for kids. In the end Ghostbusters 2016 is just a bad movie and a cash grab that should have never happened like this. The blame falls on Sony, Amy Pascal, and Paul Feig for how this whole thing turned out. They should be ashamed of themselves and never allowed to touch something like this again. The worst part to me is that I think we could have gotten a good new Ghostbusters film but that would have required getting the right director and choosing the cast because they are right for these parts. Having women Ghostbusters is great but when you start out by making the qualifications for the part to simply be female and that's all that matters then you will never find a great cast capable of giving you that Ghostbusters magic. I wish Sony would have taken the time to do this right and make a great movie instead of worrying about politics and catering to the vocal minority. One last thing that needs to be mentioned is that Sony deleted the comments of a large number of women that were critical of this film to frame it as just men being sexist. Sorry Sony but if you respect women then you don't erase and silence the voices of those that don't agree with you. Expand
moviegrifJul 15, 2016
Sat through it last night because wife wanted to. Words fail me at just how awful this is. It is literally Pixels with Women. People keep praising Hemsworth and McKinnon. I have no idea why. Thor boy plays a moron. A complete and utter moron.Sat through it last night because wife wanted to. Words fail me at just how awful this is. It is literally Pixels with Women. People keep praising Hemsworth and McKinnon. I have no idea why. Thor boy plays a moron. A complete and utter moron. It that's your thing go watch some old Mel Brooks movies and look for Teri Garr. That's Hemsworth in this. Shallow and stupid. And McKinnon? She's like a random clown thrown in to distract you from realizing just how awful and souless this mess is. Look! Jangly Keys!!! she is comepletely insanely random. She would work better in a Monty Python sketch. It's like she is channeling all Three Stooges in one body, at their most annoying. I suspect they accidentally gave her an old script for "Tank Girl" and nobody bothered to correct it. But at least she has and is a character. Which cannot be said of the rest of the cast. I can't believe any critic with ethics or a soul is giving this dumpster fire of a movie a mid to high grade. Just save your money. Take your family to see the Pets movie. Again if needed. Don't subject your poor daughters to this mess in order to empower them. They deserve better. Expand
Hasbo11Jul 15, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Terrible, Unfunny, Man-Hating Mess

Heralded by the most disliked trailer in YouTube history, and an embargo on reviews until pretty much the day of release by a panicked Sony Studios, the "Heaven's Gate" of supernatural horror comedies is finally here, and what a terrible, unfunny, man-hating mess it is.
realspringJul 21, 2016
This is the kind of garbage spineless critics try to make happen .. srsly get your **** togehter.

Ghostbusters 2016 is horrible and would be horrible even with male lead actors.
hosekishoJul 15, 2016
Ghostbusters 2016 doesn't understand what made the original special, and even fails to be entertaining on its own merits by constantly trying to emulate the original while failing. Wiig's and McCarthy's characters come across as blandGhostbusters 2016 doesn't understand what made the original special, and even fails to be entertaining on its own merits by constantly trying to emulate the original while failing. Wiig's and McCarthy's characters come across as bland compared to their usual roles. McKinnon's is annoyingly weird. Jones' character is a straight up loud racial stereotype. The only character that works most of the time is Hemsworth's, but it's not enough to save this movie. The plot weak and uninteresting, something that seemed to have been haphazardly thrown together for the movie rather than something crafted with care, so much so in fact that the movie's own self contained logic gets thrown to the wind at points. The original Ghostbusters made the implausible seem plausible, and took an absurd premise while playing it straight. Ghostbusters 2016 takes cartoonish characters and inserts them into a poorly written plot with lowest common denominator penis-vagina-fart-piss joke humor I'd be ashamed to show to my kid.

Verdict: This movie is neither worth a watch at the theaters or even an eventual rent. If you need Ghostbusters, stick to the original.
aregoweJul 15, 2016
An awful mess. Don't see it, don't give them your money. Should've just been a SNL Skit.

Talented actresses, but everything falls flat. Everything is wiped clean from the real Ghostbusters. Replaced good writing & comedy with

Replaced good writing & comedy with mile-a-minute jokes that don't land.

Constantly hating on men and shows men in a negative light. Men characters act absolutely dumb. Absolute garbage.

The original worked because of the great writing. The writing is just not present here.

Only memorable moment is the "from the front" fart joke. And that's because it's so bad.
scarh791Jul 15, 2016
I can't blame the four stars, they just wanted paychecks. Sometimes you can tell, but for the most part they try and you can tell they at least get along and have fun together. No one else does. They repeat the same beats as the originalI can't blame the four stars, they just wanted paychecks. Sometimes you can tell, but for the most part they try and you can tell they at least get along and have fun together. No one else does. They repeat the same beats as the original film to distraction, even bringing in embarrassing cameos. I feel terrible for Bill Murray even though I'm sure he requested what happens in his scene after they contractually forced him to appear. Aykroyd's cameo also jarred me and made me wish his character was in the film properly to send the new team off. The movie shoves the producers agenda down your throat at all times right up until the finale which is a giant "kicked in the nuts" joke. I left the theater feeling depressed and tired. No one was laughing. My friend insisted I had to go to the midnight showing because "no one else was." The theater was empty and silent most of the film. not a spoiler, but a joke about an "anti-Irish fence" is the only big laugh I remember and it was in the first five minutes. The problem is no other jokes feel written. All the other dialog was that meta, sarcastic sounding ad-libbing. Where someone says a baby word or something and everyone else blinks like "wut?" There's 2 HOURS OF THAT dressed up in shiny, cartoony effects that are flitting in and out in maximum irritating fashion. It was an endurance trial when all I wanted was to laugh. Now I'm just tired and annoyed. Expand
fitzfarseer40kJul 15, 2016
As much as I hate to say it - Ghostbusters was a disappointment. Apart from the absolutely incredible visual effects, which were stunning, it lacked all the wit, character, comedy, emotion and sharply written dialogue that make, not only theAs much as I hate to say it - Ghostbusters was a disappointment. Apart from the absolutely incredible visual effects, which were stunning, it lacked all the wit, character, comedy, emotion and sharply written dialogue that make, not only the original movies, but also the IDW comics, TV series (both Extreme and The Real) and the 2009 video game such a joy to consume.

As is the hipster thing to do at the moment -to paint anyone who doesn't like this film as a sexist- I can tell you I have no problem with a female cast, in fact it may interest you to know that my favourite Ghostbuster of all time is Kylie Griffin, a (shock) girl!! For those of you that don't know her or Eduardo, Roland or Garrett I suggest you save yourself a tenner and watch some Extreme Ghostbusters, a series that does what a multimillion dollar film couldn't - simultaneously pay homage and respect to the original iterations whilst further steering the franchise in new and interesting directions.

It's easy to say 'don't judge it based on what has come before', but if you didn't want it compared to things in the very same franchise simply don't call your movie Ghostbusters.

At the end of the day Ghostbusters 2016 is a hollow cash grab designed to prey on nostalgia just to make a quick buck. This is more Transformers than Mad Max.
There are far better ways to bust ghosts
VascoJul 16, 2016
Even without comparing to the original 'Ghostbusters' this movie is absolutely bad, every part of it is painful. Constant jokes (that are not funny), awful script, flat characters and lazy acting. Giant disappointment.
robalobJul 21, 2016
This movie is just straight desperate and pathetic. The humor is beyond dumb and forced. Honestly, I was encouraged to see Hollywood put some serious money behind a female-driven comedy. But....wow....it just constantly hits you with "jokes"This movie is just straight desperate and pathetic. The humor is beyond dumb and forced. Honestly, I was encouraged to see Hollywood put some serious money behind a female-driven comedy. But....wow....it just constantly hits you with "jokes" that makes Adam Sandler humor look genius. Beyond the fact that the film completely failed as a comedy, it is just horribly written and mindbogglingly boring. Expand
AETheTJul 23, 2016
This movie is just pandering. It was painful to even watch. The jokes are not funny. The ghosts look awful. Don't waste your time or your money. Just watch the original again.
sosbanfawrJul 20, 2016
Did anyone see one bit of actual comedy not lifted from the original movie / a nod to it? Effects, props, even car, worse than the 80s original. Awful
EpicLadySpongeJul 15, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Ghostbusters is an insult to the hit original that inspired a sequel and a reboot. What you should do is don't answer the call, find whoever started the idea of this reboot, and bring it down to the ocean. These women are already fine in their own major-leading movies, but bringing them together to star in this Ghostbusters movie insults the original's main stars (At least some of them made a cameo in this film). For once this movie didn't even try to surprise me and it didn't even made me feel like I'm in the fun compared to the original. At least the original movie is filled of fun, unlike this wannabe-jolly reboot. Don't even bother watching it. Now I know what you might be thinking, "Why didn't you give this a 6?" Why, that's a very good question. Everything lovable about the original Ghostbusters are either cameos or got taken away from this movie like "Paper Mario: Sticker Star" except it's worse than that game. (The game scored a 5 by me.) Everyone is not as lovable as they seem to be in the original movie. At least just give men some respect, jeez, it's not like they must be dumb and uncomfortable throughout most of the movie. Having the most disliked trailer on YouTube, it's only a matter of time before this film gets flamed by a lot of users. Sorry, critics, you can't stop me from hating on it. Saving the world takes Melissa McCarthy, corny jokes, no respect, and a lot of fire. Come on, Paul Feig, you produced "The Peanuts Movie" and you gave us this? That's a big shame of you. Have at it, Paul Feig, and give us a new movie to watch that's great and watchable. Expand
ClockworkSlaveJul 15, 2016
First things first, I've watched it and its mediocre at best, but knowing that they didn't even attempt to respect fans of the originals is what makes me dislike it more.

They have basically taken the Paul Feig formula that he has

They have basically taken the Paul Feig formula that he has established with the heat/spy and copy pasted Ghostbusters on top.
So instead of making a ghostbusters for fans, they made a ghostbusters for fans of Feig movies.
Imagine if they made a Spy sequel and instead of using PF/MM they got new actors/director and made it with a totally different tone and humor? tell me then if you would be upset as a fan wanting more of the same.
I have no problem with him making his films (i will never watch them) but ppl are entitled to enjoy what they like.
I wished they would have thought about what GB is first, then tried to make a good movie that fans would enjoy.
If it was good enough it would have found an audience, as well as pleasing existing fans.

The whole racial/misogynist angle Feig and co have been using as a deflection is a joke. maybe 1% are real trolls and misogynist, but they cant honestly believe the other 99% are all **** with no real concerns.
It annoys me the amount of disdain they had for real fans, why they felt they needed to stomp all over its legacy.
Look at SWFA, while it had some problems Abrams really had respect for the fans. They looked closely at the originals and cast the original actors while writing 'NEW' characters. The lead being a women was great and she fit the part, was no misogyny fan blow back. Its was a SW movie first and foremost.
Fans could see a genuine effort was made, and while there was gripes, it was nothing to do with Daisy Ridley being cast.

Bottom line, there is a PC SJW agenda in the media/hollywood at the moment (and gaming too)
And they will claim its because they're progressive, but being this heavy handed, smacks of twisting the knife and **** stirring.
If they genuinely had the best interests of female actors (all women in general) they would look to find the right people for each job, instead of shoehorning copy pasting.

Overall, they only have themselves to blame for the way the Internet has hit out at the clumsy way they handled everything.
Misogyny didn't make the GB trailer the most DV ever..........Colombia/Feig did.
frozenfrostfireJul 15, 2016
Have you ever had a favorite book that was completely ruined by a movie? Well now Hollywood is openly ruining other older movies with a movie. This movie is a disgrace go watch the original Ghost-busters for a cheaper and overall better experience.
Grim9999Jul 15, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I reviewed this on IMDB too:

Don't listen to a lot of the professional critics on this one, I suspect some are happier as their wallets are a little heavier after giving this a 'good' review, while playing it safe to appease the crowds. But their lack of honesty then requires real viewers to be honest in their observations and write about it.

Some of the issues with this film:

- The Characters - They are often too over the top, especially Kate Mckinnon, she becomes very annoying very fast, like a 13 year old trying to be funny. Kristen Wiig plays it less goofy but her issue is she looks like she doesn't want to be here at all. Chris Hemsworth provided a few 'bright' spots but certainly not enough. Leslie Jones was OK when she was not yelling, but she does this too frequently, it feels like a stereotype.

- The Script/Jokes - Far too many rapid 'jokes', many miss and the standard is low throughout. Too many gross out, immature gags that often are just a cover for a lack of good writing.

- Excessive Noise, Color - This whole movie is very noisy, ugly and in your face, they didn't say you can get a free headache with the price of your ticket too.

- Reeks of a Feminazi Message - I love women, but I hate feminazis and the often hateful message they spread. Certain scenes are for sure geared towards this malicious group - such as the shooting the villain in the crotch, castration, to 'save the day', good message for kids there...

- Runtime - I was checking the time throughout, it is overlong and the pacing is off, too many needlessly long scenes.

Overall: The original Ghostbusters (and to an extent the OK Ghostbusters 2) had a subtle humour, this film is the opposite of that. Even if it wasn't a Ghostbusters film it still would be very bad, but to hijack the name of a great franchise to get your movie more popularity, that makes it worse.

I was almost tempted to ask for my money back at the cinema afterwards, but then I knew what I was getting into as the trailers were everywhere, so I didn't, I did this to myself.

--- So unless you too want to have the same feeling of being robbed after walking out of the cinema, I would highly recommend spending your hard earned money on another movie.
chronosx5Jul 15, 2016
Horrible movie. Washed out humor, predictable jokes and boring overall. Didn't have high hopes for this, but was disappointed still...like Fantastic Four Reboot disappointed...shame.
JohnGulbonnyJul 16, 2016
In the Immortal words of Kevin Sorbo, I was "DISAPPOINTED!". What a flop, Feig owes me my money back, especially for insulting all those people smart enough not to be duped by this hack.
STARSBarryJul 15, 2016
I enjoyed the new independence day more....

I enjoyed the new independence day more....

yeah this movie is that bad. Imagine if you tried kids humour.... but the humour that kids would not find funny because they dont understand it (lol queef jokes and shooting people in the dick) but adults wont find it funny because there not children.

Honestly take your kids to see the secret life of pets instead.... god I wish I did.
GritiTheOddJul 15, 2016
This is a criminal waste of potential on so many levels. The actors are given a script that makes everyone involved one dimensional stereotypes with minimal depth or development in any sense. The Movie comes across more of an long bad SNLThis is a criminal waste of potential on so many levels. The actors are given a script that makes everyone involved one dimensional stereotypes with minimal depth or development in any sense. The Movie comes across more of an long bad SNL skit than a proper film. The nonstop gags and jokes are for the most part are boring, crass, and feel like the writing team believed the audience was going to be entirely 12 year old children. There are countless pointless scenes and important plot points are rarely explained, if at all. The actors have no chemistry together and the screenplay has them be complete idiots most of the time. The only reason that they would be considered the protagonists in any sense of the word, is that the movie differentiates them from the other idiots in the film by having lead quartet actually be right from time to time. The trailers to this film already give all the big plot points away as well as the only funny jokes. For all the complaints that negative criticism the trailer got are mysoginistic, this film's portrayal of the cast is far more guilty of mysoginism than any criticism of the trailers got. The lead four are so stereotyped that your hopes for characters that are complex and believable are sunk to rock bottom at the start of the film and never recover. There is also a persistant, anti male message through out the whole film as well, in terms of jokes, characters and even how they beat the antagonist.

All in all, A horrible waste of time, money and more damaging to Womens' equality in film making than any other film in the last 20 years.
BlackFox81Jul 15, 2016
a remake/reboot no one asked for, this movie is utter garbage and suffers from bad acting,directing and writing. However it would make a good torture device just make someone watch it on a loop and youll get any info you need out of thema remake/reboot no one asked for, this movie is utter garbage and suffers from bad acting,directing and writing. However it would make a good torture device just make someone watch it on a loop and youll get any info you need out of them unless of course they kill them selves rather the suffer the garbage that is ghostbusters 2016 Expand
SharonCoxJul 16, 2016
I was insulted by this movie as a women. Is this how Hollywood views us? Not to mention I had to explain the queef joke to my child as being something else. This movie clearly had an agenda other than entertainment, and in one word was HORRIFIC!
Grimlock047Jul 16, 2016
It's beginning to look like Christmas, at least for all the "professional" critics who may be getting a nice bonus in order to give this "movie" a good review.

The quick review: This is not "The Heat", this is "Scooby-Doo the Movie"(live

The quick review: This is not "The Heat", this is "Scooby-Doo the Movie"(live action) with the worst jokes from "Spy". Unfortunately for the cast there's no Sandra Bullock this time to keep the movie afloat.

The sad part: It's unbelievable how Magazines and TV channels can publish/broadcast such blatant attempts to please their Hollywood overlords.

I understand that some people may like the kind of "humour" portrayed in the movie, I personally find it repugnant, but to give this movie an 8 or 9 out of 10 or an A/A- is just a disgrace for the reviewers and their employers. Some of the worst like Mark Kermode from the BBC who in his review you can see struggles to find something positive to say about the movie even implies that people who don't like the movie are "misogynists" right off the bat . How can someone like that clown be allowed to work on TV?
ethanttyeJul 16, 2016
this movie was abhorrent, sexist, racist, and stereotypical. All whilst claiming to be progressive. I went in with my wifes kids and we all hated it. 1/10
DaveAusJul 15, 2016
Lazy and unfunny remake that doesn't bring anything new to the table and is short on laughs throughout. The banter and chemistry between the main cast found in the original is long gone. The cast is amazing though!
RazvJul 15, 2016
One of the worst movies I've seen in my life, I didn't think I would ever say something like that about a film with Melissa McCarthy. Horrible. The plot is pathetic, the characters are shallow and exaggerated, the dialogue and jokes areOne of the worst movies I've seen in my life, I didn't think I would ever say something like that about a film with Melissa McCarthy. Horrible. The plot is pathetic, the characters are shallow and exaggerated, the dialogue and jokes are incredibly bad. The only thing not bad about this movie are the actors, which doesn't matter very much since the characters they portray are horrible. Disgusting excuse of a movie. Expand
dallased25Jul 15, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not sure how this is getting positive reviews, other than paid people by Sony to do it. This movie was garbage. It is ironic because Sony was accusing all of the people criticizing the movie to be just misogynists. This was one of the most misandrist movies I've ever seen. Every male in the movie was an idiot, a bad guy or a complete jerk. The final boss was even killed by being shot in the "privates" which are assumed that he is a male. The cameos were disrespectful to the old cast and I would more compare it to the cartoon version, rather than the original 1984 film. There were a few funny moments, but that was lost due to overdone stereotypes, such as the "angry black woman with attitude"....very overdone effects and the film doesn't even follow its own rules in regards to how the ghosts are dealt with. Trust me on this...don't see it, wait for redbox or netflix. Expand
out2killJul 16, 2016
I nearly walked out of the theatre. This movie has some of the worst writing in the history of cinema. Maybe in 30 years we can get a decent reboot of this reboot, one can only hope.
StriderKiwiJul 15, 2016
Even ignoring the fact that the original is a cinematic masterpiece, and the reboot is female comedy cash grab akin to Bridesmaids, Heat and Spy, a tonal shift that just does not belong in a grand remaking of a beloved iconic series,Even ignoring the fact that the original is a cinematic masterpiece, and the reboot is female comedy cash grab akin to Bridesmaids, Heat and Spy, a tonal shift that just does not belong in a grand remaking of a beloved iconic series, Ghostbusters deserves to bomb for being sexist towards males (i kid you not. Apparently that's a thing now. Just look at how the people involved label any and all haters who lob warranted criticism at their film "misogynists." The film itself carries the exact same attitude in plot, characters and theme.

You know it's bad when Sony debut's the second trailer on facebook instead of youtube to avoid due criticism (which didn't work), then wine's and dine's most of the critics to make it look like the film's actually great when they know it's not, THEN start to hire these random youtubers and other media personnel to fake positive experiences with the movie and again shovel their "anyone who doesn't like the movie is sexist" response.

No fans or potential fans deserve this treatment. We deserve better. Don't see Ghostbusters. Just wait till it comes to redbox.
the12blackJul 16, 2016
Ugh.

Ghostbusters (1984) was a light-hearted sci-fi picture featuring the right balance of comedy, action, creep and drama. The iteraction between the original cast and the ambiance of the film set by the music and pacing was masterful.
Ugh.

Sadly, Ghostbusters (2016) has none of these things. The cast has no cohesion, the special effects are out of control, and the film feels souless and ill conceived. Most of the performances (from actors who have proved their worth in other films) are hollow and without connection.

Save your friday night for another film. This one is a rent or wait-for-HBO.
OreaJul 15, 2016
I can't blame the four stars, This is what happens when you disregard a wonderful heritage and fill it full of brown notes. It's not a bad movie, but is about the worst thing you could imagine as a Ghostbusters reboot.
TrunkisJul 18, 2016
I saw an early screening, ice age is a better movie than this (not a compliment)
Awful acting , not chemistry between the cast (ironically hemsworth is the funniest one and steals the show).
I have seen ps4 games with better fx than this
I have seen ps4 games with better fx than this tripe. (think scooby doo movies green screen mess fx)
Editing seems rushed and not organic at all.
The cameos are cringe-worthy, I really fell sorry for the old cast that was forced to participate on this.
Don't waste your money to "give it a try", wait for it on netflix.
HipsterDufusJul 16, 2016
This was pretty bad. I was really bored overall and really had nothing of the magic of the original. Cameo appearances were nice but would have been better if they were the original characters. My wife and daughter enjoyed it a lot. ItThis was pretty bad. I was really bored overall and really had nothing of the magic of the original. Cameo appearances were nice but would have been better if they were the original characters. My wife and daughter enjoyed it a lot. It seems to be favorable among some women so I recommend it for a date night. The writing is really really weak. Expand
BFMJul 16, 2016
They did not understand what made the original two movies good.
Bad characters, braindead humor, silly effects, and a very badly written story.
They did not understand what made the original two movies good.
Bad characters, braindead humor, silly effects, and a very badly written story.
Instead of paying for this movie, rather play the video game from 2009, because unlike this movie, the game actually respected Ghostbusters and it's fans.
Wittendorf1986Jul 15, 2016
This movie is just terrible, how anyone can say it's good. The acting is just bad, few jokes are not bad, but cgi just terrible, directing is terrible, this insults original cast. Ghostbusters should of been left alone. Should not of been rebooted.
silvert27Jul 15, 2016
Simply horrible. I decided to to see it before reading an reviews so I wouldn't go in biased and I'm floored that this tripe is currently at 60. Then again...no I'm not. It's depressingly obvious that the "top" reviews are horribly biased,Simply horrible. I decided to to see it before reading an reviews so I wouldn't go in biased and I'm floored that this tripe is currently at 60. Then again...no I'm not. It's depressingly obvious that the "top" reviews are horribly biased, desperately trying to prop up the militant feminist propaganda, which is the sole reason this movie was created.

The entire movie suffered from the same drawback every political agenda driven movie does. So bent on simply pounding a cynical and divisive message into the audience, the movie's characters, plot, setting, scenery, script, and everything else is all secondary. It's all just support for the "message." And it all falls apart. The plot is boring, the characters are forgettable, the script is laughable, and it all just comes across as amateur fanfiction written by hateful feminist with an axe to grind.
ShakjaJul 16, 2016
Take a female producer that replaced the original director out of spite, a new director that was bullied into making the film and who demanded full control without the producers interfering, man hating writers that don't understand the sourceTake a female producer that replaced the original director out of spite, a new director that was bullied into making the film and who demanded full control without the producers interfering, man hating writers that don't understand the source material and are genuinely bad at their jobs and a cast that's ad lib-ing through the whole movie while trying to do a decent job.
Add completely overdone special effects and bad timing to the mix and you get mediocre movie that isn't even bad enough to be funny.
Save your money for a movie that won't bore you to tears while preaching "girl power!" and "men are all stupid and/or complete a*holes!" to you.
GamerOfChaosJul 15, 2016
Absolute trash. Disgrace to the original movie. There was even a queef joke in this movie. I never knew Sony could **** up this badly. I never wanted to hate this movie, but the trailers made so disgusted, and now having seen the film, I wishAbsolute trash. Disgrace to the original movie. There was even a queef joke in this movie. I never knew Sony could **** up this badly. I never wanted to hate this movie, but the trailers made so disgusted, and now having seen the film, I wish it was never created in the first place. Expand
evldmnJul 16, 2016
The movie is plain bad. A person would wonder why they even tried. The Ghostbusters were fine as they were, we did not need a new movie. The people who invested in this movie probably didn't understand the reason the first movies were good,The movie is plain bad. A person would wonder why they even tried. The Ghostbusters were fine as they were, we did not need a new movie. The people who invested in this movie probably didn't understand the reason the first movies were good, it was the actors, you can't put some random three nobodies and expect it to work. The jokes were awful and stupid, even worse than something from Adam Sandler. The CGI, weirdly, was beyond awful, just disgusting. This is offensive to the fans and to moviegoers, it feels like they made the Godfather 4 2016. Expand
DeadlyCarrotJul 15, 2016
This is the most disgusting cash grab I've ever seen. It does nothing right, and ruins every thing that the original movie had. This is absolutely terrible, and you should save your money for something else.
XogoJul 17, 2016
Even if there were no original Ghostbusters, this film would be a 3 on its own. As it tries to be a remake, reboot and/or ties into the '84 version, its a 0. This film is terrible.
ninekokiJul 15, 2016
People giving it 0 is a little too harsh imo. But the movie was legit bad. The joke was bad, 3 of the 4 leads were bad. The CGI was pure cringe at the end. And the the theater I went in was kinda empty.
JuanOrezSep 28, 2016
This is easily in my top 5 worst movies. Not funny. Not entertaining. With the budget given for this I expected a watchable movie. I really can't believe I wasted my money on this. If you have yet to see this movie don't. Go rent or buy the original.
moondoggieJul 16, 2016
This is sooooo bad. None of the jokes are funny, the characters aren't interesting or memorable (I can only remember Patty's name because she wore a giant gold necklace through the whole movie).

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL
MaxsonJul 15, 2016
If you love fat jokes and crappy special effects, then this movie is for you. For those that loved the original Ghostbuster movie, you guys should stick with the original and not with this one.
hcliffedJul 15, 2016
Whereas the original's first 45 minutes are some of the funniest moments ever in cinema, the first hour of this slog was entirely NOT funny at all, unless you're a teenie bopper girl who actually believes Kristen Wiig is a decent actress andWhereas the original's first 45 minutes are some of the funniest moments ever in cinema, the first hour of this slog was entirely NOT funny at all, unless you're a teenie bopper girl who actually believes Kristen Wiig is a decent actress and that Melissa McCarthy is funny.

McKinnon and Jones are the best of the bunch, and they're typically in the background. This film used the cameos and the homages to the original to make it watchable, but it cannot stand on its own.

Hemsworth was downright annoying!

Thank goodness I was taken to this film as a treat, and I didn't have to spend a single penny on it. It's best to grab it as a rental, or skip it altogether.
Bizz408Jul 16, 2016
Serious contender for worst movie of the year. The comedy was cringeworthy at best. The story was forgettable, absolutely no memorable moments like the Original and it's sequel had.
No quoteworthy lines. I've seen straight-to-DVD movies make
No quoteworthy lines. I've seen straight-to-DVD movies make a better effort at producing quality entertainment. This is exactly as I thought it would be: a cheap cash-in on a cult classic aimed solely at making a quick buck off of it and nothing else.
TLHGJul 16, 2016
I think that if you were never that much into the ghostbusters concept in the first place (i.e., you don't care for the original movies and the animated series - which I think are really cool too), then you might have some fun with this 2016I think that if you were never that much into the ghostbusters concept in the first place (i.e., you don't care for the original movies and the animated series - which I think are really cool too), then you might have some fun with this 2016 version in the movie theater and will forget that you ever saw the movie when you wake up the next morning. To give this movie some credit, there are some funny moments that make you laugh, but the jokes here are more like bullets coming out of a machine gun and something like 15% hit the target while the others make you think "Why such a crappy line? Who forgot this one in the script?"
The characters are bad ideas that became even worse realizations with the lame acts - they are pure cartoonish satires (whereas the original ones were quite sensible funny representation of real life archetypes.
The special effects are terrible (looks like we are back to early 2000). Ghosts look like circus characters. And the story-line is just a lazy job.
If I knew better, I would avoid watching it.
GambitfactorJul 17, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First half of this film, You would think that it had some initial promise that this would feel like the Ghostbusters movie we wanted.......

...Then it goes downhill afterwards.

From Paul Feig's and Kate Dippold's View of men (cause we are all **** Scary cats, bad guys or something of no redeeming quality in this movie); and by doing this and making the script this way it makes any exploits this new team does useless. To Leslie Jones Stereotypical approach (I swear in one scene she had a belt on saying, "Oh no you didn't!!) to some degree she wasn't as bad as most people say but she was still the Tracy Morgan of the team. Melissa McCarthy and Kristin Wiig were technically playing the same version of themselves and the jokes were Hit and miss at best!

The science and technology was explored in the movie and i thought that was cool I like how they tested and used them. But then I can also say they go back on what they were suppose to do with the ghost and just Vaporized them instead of trapping them......they do that only once!! :-/
Chris Hemsworth's Kevin had his moments but the run on gag became to tedious the same with the Chinese take out man. And while i've felt the chemistry was really good with the four female leads the villain of this movie on the other hand was very forgettable and didn't add any backstory aside from the lame backstory you get in the movie (which kinda was like that in Bridesmaids....person picked on person in the past and wanted to get even)....did i mention that they treated most of the men on here like ****

The stakes wasn't high and everything they went thru in the third act had no meaning since midtown was completely refixed after the portal closed cause.....reasons!?
At least in the 1984 version the Stakes were high as well as personal being that the original four were put through stuff by the mayor, EPA, Gozer, Zuul, etc.
in the end, i can only say this movie had one half good moments the first half on the movie...and the second and third half just went to hell big time...this movie just....is. Its not bad....sure as hell not great its just....was made just to fill a quota for money and make a political Agenda.

now that i seen it and its out of my system I want to focus on other movies like Star Trek Beyond and Suicide Squad which i'm sure will be much better films to take the tastes of this movie out my mouth!!
SIrThinkALotJul 15, 2016
I have been skeptical of this film pretty much from the moment it was announced. And that the trailers/marketing, that god-awful cover of the theme song, and especially the way the cast and crew painted everybody who dared to say they wereI have been skeptical of this film pretty much from the moment it was announced. And that the trailers/marketing, that god-awful cover of the theme song, and especially the way the cast and crew painted everybody who dared to say they were skeptical as sexist trolls, didnt do much to dissuade that. So needless to say, going in my expectations were about as low as as possible for a film.

The good news is, its not AS terrible as I feared. The bad news is, its still pretty terrible.

The biggest problem with Ghostbusters, is that pretty much everything about the movie feels forced. The jokes, the relationships between the four Ghostbusters, the winks and nods to the original, the characterization of the bad guy, the technobabble the big battle sequence at the end. None of it felt genuine. Pretty much everything in the film felt like ‘this is a movie, and this is whats supposed to happen in this movie.’

There’s far too much reliance on zany/wacky humor. Theres very few quotable lines. Certainly none that are as memorable as ‘tell him about the Twinkie.’ Or ‘Dogs and cats living together.’ I guess if like that style of humor(think Bridesmaids, but less crude), you might like the jokes in this film. But its not my thing.

The winks and nods to the original just dont work. They’re not subtle enough to be overlooked(like in say, Total Recall), and pull you out from the movie, forcing you to think about the far superior original. I’m not just talking about the cameos(which this film would be much better without), but also the way that certain scenes are almost shot-for-shot identical to scenes in the original.

Its a bit of departure from a strict review, but I want to talk about the technobabble in this film. Part of what made the original film so great was that Dan Aykroyd is a true-blue believer in the paranormal, and based the story and script on actual pseudo-scientific theories. The result being that for a film about ghosts, it has a real feel of authenticity. When terms that have their origin in pseudo-scientific circles are used in the film, feel like they are legitimate and being used in the proper way.

In the remake though, it feels more like Paul Feig put a bunch of ‘science-y’ sounding words in a hat and drew them out randomly. You know how in Star Trek, the plots are always solved by a series of giberish that sounds almost, though not quite like actual science? Yea thats pretty much what Ghostbusters sounds like too. It was annoying in Star Trek, but we put up with it for the otherwise interesting plots and characters, and this film is lacking in those departments.

So there were good things about this film right? Well yes. Chris Hemsworth was pretty funny as the dopey secretary. Pretty much all of the laughs of the film came from him, and he clearly had a LOT of fun playing the bad guy when his character got possessed. In fact pretty much the entire cast really did seem to be enjoying shooting this film, although in Kate McKinnon ’s her hi-jinks came across more annoying than endearing. But still its just a shame that this film wasnt better so you could enjoy it with them.

TLDR: Dont see this film. I tried to warn you.
rafaelhsouzaJul 19, 2016
I really wanted to like this movie...but it is impossible. Poor story and TERRIBLE acting. We had some awful reboots in the past few year but this is by far the worst. Don't waste your money on this.
MattyiceJul 17, 2016
Is the Ghostbusters movie as bad as everyone says it is? Unfortunately yes. Even on its own, this film is still not too good. The writing is lackluster, I did not like Melissa McCarthy's performance whatsoever (despite actually liking theIs the Ghostbusters movie as bad as everyone says it is? Unfortunately yes. Even on its own, this film is still not too good. The writing is lackluster, I did not like Melissa McCarthy's performance whatsoever (despite actually liking the other ones, specifically Kate McKinnon as Holtzman), Paul Feig's direction is confusing (as if he wanted to rush this film out), the CG looked pretty terrible, the ghost designs were pretty bad, and generic as well, and, worst of all, the humor really wasn't good. Oh and in typical Sony fashion, toss in a crapton of blatantproduct placement too. Overall, this movie was a major disappointment in an already major letdown of a summer movie lineup. Expand
McNastyFilthJul 16, 2016
This movie is absolutely atrocious. Outside of the soulless "fancy" CGI - the comedic crew is pathetic this time around. I never thought I'd see a worse installment to this franchise after watching #2. Boy, was I wrong.
RichieT2569Jul 15, 2016
This is an awful movie. Trashy cash grab. Whatever happened in 1980s Ghostbusters, is wiped clean here. There are no interesting male characters, and the female cast falls flat. The jokes simply aren't funny. This movie is an insult to theThis is an awful movie. Trashy cash grab. Whatever happened in 1980s Ghostbusters, is wiped clean here. There are no interesting male characters, and the female cast falls flat. The jokes simply aren't funny. This movie is an insult to the Ghostbusters license. Take ScoobyDoo and add some ghosts with bad jokes and writing. Now, don't get me wrong here the female cast have talent. It's not about that if SJW's want to hate on me for my review - the writing, direction, plot, the jokes, continuity its just awful. Personally I didn't find much funny here and the longer the movie went on the worse it got. Act 3 is a complete trainwreck. Only people that would like this movie, are idiots. DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE, WASTE OF MONEY. It got 2/10 for me for being Ghostbusters and some interesting visual elements. The rest of the movie, is just awful. Expand
BertoflyingfoxJul 17, 2016
It gave me a few chuckles (the mayor and his assistant were my favorite characters), but besides that it was all throw-away plotting. Felt like a continuation of R.I.P.D.

The leads all played their characters decently, but there was no

The leads all played their characters decently, but there was no worthwhile plotting to flesh those characters out. Every scene boils down to an SNL skit...but with Ghostbusters.

Neil Casey (the bad guy), Zach Woods, and Karan Soni needed more screen time. Not only does Casey look like a new-age Egon, but the other two had funny personalities as well.

Anyway, I feel this was a missed opportunity to tell a more inclusive Ghostbusters movie. Instead we got ghost-infused SNL skits and a long final act that's more occupied trying to sell toys and push an agenda, than finish the story strong.
Braquiador55Jul 15, 2016
This movie sucks. It is awful. The plot is awful, the jokes are stupid, the characters are cliches, the dialogue is just horrible. Every single aspect of this movie sucks. Except the CGI effects, those were pretty good.
dimCreatureJul 15, 2016
Ghostbusters was a disaster. We're talkin' MiB II and Indiana Jones IV level quality. An hour and a half of weak gimmicks and rehashed jokes and embarrassing cameos. Standard firehose of sound effects and soundtrack. Jokes are overGhostbusters was a disaster. We're talkin' MiB II and Indiana Jones IV level quality. An hour and a half of weak gimmicks and rehashed jokes and embarrassing cameos. Standard firehose of sound effects and soundtrack. Jokes are over explained then quickly cut for punch, while feeling gleaned from Reddit's front page. Cartoonish texturing and color balancing. Most cringe worthy thing I've seen all year, and that's coming off Warcraft and BvS. Critics must be terrified of being black listed. Expand
Ivan_K_MazovJul 15, 2016
As a huge fan of the original, I'm going to judge this as a Ghostbusters film (which is only fair as the studio is trading off the franchise), rather than a generic Hollywood Summer Blockbuster and well... I'm afraid that as a GhostbustersAs a huge fan of the original, I'm going to judge this as a Ghostbusters film (which is only fair as the studio is trading off the franchise), rather than a generic Hollywood Summer Blockbuster and well... I'm afraid that as a Ghostbusters movie, it stinks. It really stinks.

I've read quite a lot of official reviews that say it's better than GB2, in what universe I ask you? GB2 had serious structural flaws compared to the first, there's no doubt, but its jokes and set pieces are still some of the most iconic of the franchise. Seeing as how no one who has made this claim has in any way tried to back it up, let me compare the two right here and now.

First the baddies. Vigo vs Rowan. No contest, Vigo. Rowan is a terrible baddie, he'll be forgotten a few months after the Blu-Ray release, whereas Vigo is iconic and terrifying. So let's compare the good guys. GB2 relies on the magnificent chemistry between Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis and Hudson to drive it along and whatever the structural flaws, the chemistry is as strong as ever. Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon and Jones do not share any chemistry, it's actually painful to see them on screen together. Even as individuals they fall far short of the original cast. If we take Wiig as an analogue to Murray, there's no contest; Murray gains a flawless victory. People are still quoting Venkman lines from GB2, "bummer", no one will be quoting Erin Gilbert in (nearly) 30 years time. The same is true for the rest of the cast head- to-head. To save time I'll just highlight the example of McKinnon, who I love on SNL, but couldn't bear in this movie. She's clearly the Egon character, but she phones it in, playing a generic 'kook' and going so over the top that it basically ruins half of the scenes that she's in. Again, McKinnon, like Wiig, has no funny or memorable lines such as 'lets see what happens when we take away the puppy' and her humour is weird for the sake of it, rather than the deadpan brilliance of the late Harold Ramis. The supporting characters are just regurgitated, worse versions of people from the originals, there isn't anyone who comes close to the creepy-comedy brilliance of Peter MacNichol's Janosz, one of the greatest, most iconic supporting characters in any comedy!

So let's look at the structure and set pieces. If GB2 was structurally flawed, GB2016 "should be condemned", (see what I did there?) I don't want to spoiler the movie, so I'll keep to scenes and plot devices already revealed by the trailers. Firstly, the rock concert scene falls completely flat compared to the courthouse scene in GB2. The ghosts released by Rowan serve little purpose, look cheap and lack the comedy mischief of the ghosts in the original. Rowan's machine is a lazy cop-out and is in no way comparable to the absolutely terrifying and completely awesome river of slime flowing through the spooky abandoned subway. GB2 was all about creating some legitimate scares (Titanic docking!) and a feelgood factor which it did through some iconic set pieces. There is no feelgood factor to this new movie. It feels cheap in a nasty way and is surprisingly cynical for something that I've read is supposed to be aspirational in some way.

I could go all day comparing the two but let's just say that GB2016 in no way measures up side by side to GB2. I suspect that the reason some reviewers are making that claim is to try and salvage something from this God-awful mess, so people will say 'hey, at least it's not the worst Ghostbusters movie.' It must be shilling because when you put all the elements of the two movies side-by-side, it's clear that despite its flaws, GB2 is simply better in every way than this lazy reboot. But here's the thing, my kid enjoyed it. He didn't like it as much as Ghostbusters, or even Ghostbusters 2, but he thought it was neat regardless. I think kids will like this film because it's flashy and the jokes are crude and obvious; adults who loved the subtle, dry wit of the original will probably be turned off by the listless, rehashed, gross-out humour and half-hearted performances.

I have one more story to share that I think any parent might want to know before taking their child to see this film. When we came out of the cinema, my kid was in a funny mood that I've never seen him in before, half-hyped and half-pensive. I asked him if he was feeling alright and he said 'yeah', then there was this long pause and I could see him struggling with something. Eventually he turned to me and said, 'dad, when I grow up I want to be a lady'. I was pretty taken aback but I tried not to show it, instead I just said to him 'well you know you can be whatever you want to be sport; why do you want to be a lady, is it to be like the new Ghostbusters?'. And he just looked at me with eyes that seemed older than his years and said, 'no dad, it's because this film made me realise all guys are either stupid or evil, so it's better just to be a lady I guess...'
KielWJul 15, 2016
I'm glad my overly eager friend paid for tickets to see this, because I would have walked out half an hour in and politely requested a refund otherwise. This just wasn't a good movie. I'm giving it a 1 versus a 0 only because it deliveredI'm glad my overly eager friend paid for tickets to see this, because I would have walked out half an hour in and politely requested a refund otherwise. This just wasn't a good movie. I'm giving it a 1 versus a 0 only because it delivered exactly on what the trailer promised - heavy mediocrity. Expand
djniceyJul 15, 2016
Absolute tripe. If you thought Pixels was bad, this is even worse. The CGI effects are terrible and the comedy falls flat. Having Paul Feig as the director has ruined what could have been an entertaining film, instead this is just not worthAbsolute tripe. If you thought Pixels was bad, this is even worse. The CGI effects are terrible and the comedy falls flat. Having Paul Feig as the director has ruined what could have been an entertaining film, instead this is just not worth watching, even on DVD or freeview TV. Expand
blumpkinfanJul 15, 2016
The chemistry isn't there. The jokes aren't funny. The editing and pacing takes you out of the movie and makes everything feel rushed. You never feel settled in to the movie too well. I thought it was unfortunate that a comedy film starring 4The chemistry isn't there. The jokes aren't funny. The editing and pacing takes you out of the movie and makes everything feel rushed. You never feel settled in to the movie too well. I thought it was unfortunate that a comedy film starring 4 comedic talents needed a comic relief. Aren't they all the comic relief? It's a comedy! Getting a non-comedic actor to be the comic relief is a little telling. He was probably the funniest one, though.

This is worse than the Pink Panther remake. Comedies should NOT be remade.
DonMegaJul 15, 2016
Do you like movies that are sexist and racist? If so this movie is for you. Clearly everything about it is some individuals like Paul Feig (the director) pushing their agenda. Why didn't they have a cast of 2 men and 2 women instead?

I

I went to the movie with my daughter, luckily I didn't have to pay as I had a promotional tickets. My 12 year old daughter didn't enjoy it, she said the vulgar unfunny jokes were too much. There is a queef joke in this movie.
Every single male character in this movie is a dummy or and idiot, the black characters is the stereotypical obnoxious and loud black women.

The cgi is worse than the 1984 ghostbusters movie, not sure how but it is.

Don't waste your money on this, because it is one of the worst movies ever made. I'd say it's up there with united passions.
dpaudiophileJul 15, 2016
Putting all of the Ghostbusters purist and nostalgic thoughts aside, from watching the trailer, this new movie looked like a **** new comedy that wouldn't get one laugh out of me.

If there were never an original Ghostbusters 1 and 2, and

If there were never an original Ghostbusters 1 and 2, and this was a brand new idea that we were seeing for the first time, I would still hate the trailer because it didn't seem funny (even in a bad way) to me at all.

So I saw the movie... peer-pressure can do things like that sometimes.

I went to the theater with five friends eager to prove my opinion wrong, and by the 53rd minute mark after Melissa McCarthy made another atrocious joke, the camel's back broke. All of my friends looked at each other and myself, and we walked out. This was easily the worst movie that I have ever seen in a theater in my nearly thirty years on this planet, and I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 when I was a kid.

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE - Like I suspected from the trailer, you can't even laugh AT it because it's so bad. Long time Ghostbusters fans will absolutely hate this movie. Another sad note, I believe a second one will be made. Yea, that's how Hollywood works... If one ****-ass movie can make enough money, you can sure-as-hell bet a sequel is coming.

0/10 - absolute filth.
MoviefanartJul 15, 2016
Absolutely horrible.
A waste of money and time.
The characters were hollow , the plot garbage , the FX à la Scoobidoo . Fun? Jokes? get those thing out my movie please !! I've seen bad movies, but this one deserve a special place in my
Absolutely horrible.
A waste of money and time.
The characters were hollow , the plot garbage , the FX à la Scoobidoo .
Fun? Jokes? get those thing out my movie please !!
I've seen bad movies, but this one deserve a special place in my heart as the worst decision i've ever made .
Moreover, the misandry and racism is blatant , purely made to appeal feminist to the point it is **** disgusting....and i'm a **** woman so i know !
I was so shocked , i was ashame to have brought my kids with me and even them (7 and 8) was findind that terrible!

If this the new trend in movies, you can be sure noboby with a sane mind will ever come again in a theatre .
ReubenIsAGodJul 15, 2016
Sooooo I'm not really that big of a Ghostbusters fan. I really like the first one, but meh, not the biggest fan.

I didn't really expect anything from the film. Didn't really take notice or really watch any trailers or read anything about the film. I just kinda saw that it was in theaters and decided to check it out.

Nothing in this film made me laugh I wasn't expecting much, but damn the film was boring. Its not like godawful or anything, but holy heck I just wanted to leave the theater because I was so bored and frustrated at how damn annoyingly irritatingly bland the humor was, and I love dry humor.

The characters are kind fun, I guess. Good chemistry. Also the cameos where kinda cool. But besides all that it wasn't anything special or really entertaining.

Action scenes where also pretty awesome. But yeah. The film has no substance and just feels bland.
PupitoJul 15, 2016
Long time Ghostbusters fan. Haven't been into it that much since I was kid when I was bonkers for it. Even missed the 2009 video game.

I went in to this movie with high hopes and it was...fine? As a disposable summer comedy it was...adequate? As the long awaited follow up to Ghostbusters 2 it was...a total let down.

These very talented actresses did their best but they had no help from an awful script that was razor thin with a weak tea villain and a plot that held no surprises. Everything felt totally under cooked. And ultimately, it just wasn't that funny. I was willing to accept a totally different tone from the original movies if this was going to be side splitting funny but...I chuckled a few times?

If you want a mindless comedy you'll forget about as soon as the drive home then by all means pay to see this movie. If you love the originals then save your money and wait for it to drop on Netflix.
ArkonBladeJul 15, 2016
The movie is nothing but sexist trash. Every man in the movie is either a moron or a AHole. The plot sucks, the comedy sucks, the acting sucks, the CGI sucks. Nothing good about this movie at all. It was made by a bunch of Sexist Pigs andThe movie is nothing but sexist trash. Every man in the movie is either a moron or a AHole. The plot sucks, the comedy sucks, the acting sucks, the CGI sucks. Nothing good about this movie at all. It was made by a bunch of Sexist Pigs and should go back to the hell from which it was spawned. Expand
SammyBiccyJul 16, 2016
Just so bad. Watching paint dry or organising your books according to the Dewey Decimal System would be considerably more entertaining than watching this travesty.
LunarcideJul 23, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was wondering what all the hype was about, with feminists calling this movie an ode to feminism and saying that anyone who hated it are misogynists. I now understand why so few people identify as feminist and why so many are against the movement. This movie was an ode to hatred of men and it is obvious that it's supporters were projecting their own sexism and chauvinism onto those who were speaking against this movie. The man-hating would have been bad enough, but add to that the fact that it just wasn't funny. At all. Ok, there were a few chuckles early on, but for the most part the theater was silent. Every man in the movie was either evil or idiotic, and their motivations were not really explained at all. It was very poor, lazy writing that made it clear that the writers weren't aiming to make a good movie, they were just aiming to cash in on apparent feminist vitriol against men and boys.

Speaking of, the writing was just horrible. There was none of the wit that we saw with the original, and many parts of the movie didn't even make any sense. Especially when it came to the special effects - it's like the actors and writers never communicated with the CGI team and didn't know what was going to be on the screen. For example after the possessing ghost visibly leaves the Ghostbuster right in front of your face, why continue to hit her? For the slap-stick comedic effect? It might have been funny if it made sense to do that, but it came off as just stupid. And speaking of the CGI... there were parts that weren't too bad, mediocre even, but the end when the antagonist turns onto the "Ghostbuster's" logo, it looks like something out of a Disney cartoon, which looked really out of place and, well, lazy. And of course they have to put the icing on the misandry cake by shooting the antagonist in the crotch with their proton beams.

The worst part was what hey did to Bill Murray. You can tell he didn't want to be there, and they treated his character horribly. It makes me wonder how they forced the actor to participate, which leads me to wonder if the other actors from the original were there under duress as well. This movie was so horribly disrespectful to the original movie as well as all of the fans of the original, and to the audience as a whole, I have a hard time believing that the actors of the original were happy with what was being done to the franchise. It's as infuriating as it is sad.

As we were leaving the theater, the looks on the faces of those around me were looks of bewilderment. Why would Sony sign off on what amounted to a kick in the collective crotch of the audience? Do man-hating feminists really have so much power in our society that they can now browbeat movie executives into cow-towing to their political agenda? Now I understand why there is a growing number of people who identify as anti-feminist. This movie, and the way that Sony and feminists have bullied anyone who spoke out against the movie and its trailers, convinces me that "anti-feminist" is not only a preferable label, but one that is becoming increasingly necessary.
coloradosnowmanJul 15, 2016
I had such high hopes for this. I went in with an open mind, assuming that everyone on the internet was just whining like a crybaby. I just got out of this movie seriously shocked. I'm at a loss for words. Horrible story
memzJul 16, 2016
Nobody should be forced to watch this garbage. It is an insult to the original films. I have nothing against the all female cast, but none of them were able to make me laugh once. Don't waste your money on this movie.
ToughOnMoviesJul 15, 2016
That was utterly painful to watch. If the US government truly wanted to get the terrorists at Guantanamo Bay to spill the beans, they should sit them in a room and make them watch this movie on repeat.
sporlockJul 15, 2016
Just got back from seeing this movie, and good Lord is it TERRIBLE! Zero redeeming qualities. If you like CONSTANT jokes about rude vagina sounds, and how stupid and retarded every man on the face of the planet is, then you will LOVE thisJust got back from seeing this movie, and good Lord is it TERRIBLE! Zero redeeming qualities. If you like CONSTANT jokes about rude vagina sounds, and how stupid and retarded every man on the face of the planet is, then you will LOVE this movie. If not, then stay far far away. Just TERRIBLE! The special effects were horrendous and like a cartoon. This has zero relation to the original Ghostbusters, and pretty much gave a giant middle finger to all the fans of the old franchise with missed opportunities to properly pass the touch off to a new generation. Instead, it's basically a 2 hour raunchy Saturday Night Live skit with cartoon ghosts thrown in for no apparent reason. AVOID THIS MOVIE LIKE THE PLAGUE. Expand
AvengersoulJul 22, 2016
This was one of the dullest movies I've watched in 30 years. Nothing in it was even remotely funny, not even worth a smile. I was trying to find anything else to do while watching it.
griimJul 17, 2016
this movies CG was great but the acting and the jokes were just awful its like i was watching brides maids but with guns and lots of ghosts im glad to see ghostbusters back and if they wanted a all female cast they should have gotten better actors
SKELETOR420Jul 15, 2016
This is what happens when you disregard a wonderful heritage and fill it full of brown notes. It's not a bad movie, but is about the worst thing you could imagine as a Ghostbusters reboot. At least Total Recall & Robocop TRIED to be coolThis is what happens when you disregard a wonderful heritage and fill it full of brown notes. It's not a bad movie, but is about the worst thing you could imagine as a Ghostbusters reboot. At least Total Recall & Robocop TRIED to be cool sci-fi action movies, this doesn't attempt anything other than being. Expand
John182Jul 15, 2016
If this was not a Ghostbusters film I would give it a 4, but they made a parody and slapped Ghostbusters on the title. Just pretend the movie is called SpecterCatchers or something of the sort if you must watch it.
SarahAlduinJul 17, 2016
This was a complete let down.......... I think I laughed once, and it was probably driven by desperation. Truly terrible movie. I can't see how any person could honestly call this good.
SofaTrooperJul 15, 2016
What the actual f**k is this garbage? This Is a disgrace and tarnishes the original masterpiece. Please erase this monstrosity from human history and never speak of it again.
JackintheBox333Jul 17, 2016
To get this out of the way at the beginning, yes this movie is bad. Real bad. However I then I have to ask the question: Does this movie deserve a 0. The answer to that, in my opinion, is no.

The movie itself, while not a 100% complete

The movie itself, while not a 100% complete beat for beat retread of the original movie story wise, still manages to offer no new story bits while managing to not even prevent obvious plot holes in its own retreaded narrative. While there are a few comedy bits that do land, most do not, and leave the audience just groaning at how bad they are.

The CGI effects have been compared very unfavorably to the Eddie Murphy movie The Haunted Mansion, and I have to agree. The effects are not good and took me out of the movie. There was no suspension of disbelief, no feeling that what was appearing on the screen was anything other than fake.

The question then becomes, if the movie is this bad, how do I score it? The only real positive I can give this movie is that I did not have to resort to alcohol to finish watching the movie. Because of that, and the problems I noted, the only possible score I can give this movie is a 2, which is the lowest possible score I can give to an alcohol free movie. This is no Dragonball Evolution or Double Dragon, but its dang close.
It's a shame really. This movie could have been good. The terrible storyboarding and epically awful directing made sure it wasn't.
XiongmaoMacaoJul 16, 2016
If you like cheesy SNL actors, a political agenda, man hating, Scooby Doo CGI effects and terrible editing..... you will love this movie BUT if you have a brain an enjoy a movie with a great story and a plot that makes sense THEN AVOID thisIf you like cheesy SNL actors, a political agenda, man hating, Scooby Doo CGI effects and terrible editing..... you will love this movie BUT if you have a brain an enjoy a movie with a great story and a plot that makes sense THEN AVOID this piece of cinematic poop at ALL COSTS! horrible...just horrible! Expand
viettungvuongJul 15, 2016
The trailer is awful, and so is the movie. Stupid characters, stupid script, stupid jokes. The original movie is an acclaim one but this remake is awful
PixelBuffJul 15, 2016
Forced, awkward and often crass humor. All this "It's so little girls can have heros too! It's for little girls!!!" in the marketing but then they have a queef joke 10 minutes in? Yeah sure 10 year old girls love that. The conclusion isForced, awkward and often crass humor. All this "It's so little girls can have heros too! It's for little girls!!!" in the marketing but then they have a queef joke 10 minutes in? Yeah sure 10 year old girls love that. The conclusion is borderline incomprehensible, ends suddenly in a jumbled confusing mess (suddenly within a portal, then suddenly not without seconds?) Gave it a 2 since the effects looked nice in 3D but everything else is cheap, badly written cash grab that pales in comparison to the original. Expand
MayankV24Jul 19, 2016
It's not that this movie didn't reach my expectations, it's that I had no expectations to begin with. I walked in with zero hope for this movie thinking it would be absolute **** and somehow it was worst than I thought it would be. TerribleIt's not that this movie didn't reach my expectations, it's that I had no expectations to begin with. I walked in with zero hope for this movie thinking it would be absolute **** and somehow it was worst than I thought it would be. Terrible acting, unnecessary jokes that make no sense, worst pacing in a movie, and a complete disrespect to the name GhostBusters. The originals were amazing, but this one is just a disgrace. Expand
SNESStarterJul 16, 2016
A horrible movie that was only made to appease SJWs and create diversity for the sake of diversity. The "jokes" are forced, the characters are forced. This film is shameful.
SurtJul 16, 2016
This is a SNL parody of ghostbusters. Exactly what many thought it would be. Add on top of that the insult of a pandering cash grab and this movie is just good.

Now I would like someone to say after seeing this that it's not a spice girl

Now I would like someone to say after seeing this that it's not a spice girl "girl power!" movie, and more obvious at the ending. Pandering is not diversity. You want diversity? then look at the Ghostbusters comics from IDW. Every issue has been amazing.
FC2Jul 15, 2016
I really tried to like this film but I came out disappointed. It's not even what I expected. The story/writing was just awful, the humor is way more miss than hit and sometimes just awful. You'll laugh just as much as the Ostrich laugh fromI really tried to like this film but I came out disappointed. It's not even what I expected. The story/writing was just awful, the humor is way more miss than hit and sometimes just awful. You'll laugh just as much as the Ostrich laugh from family guy but never anything worthy more than a chuckle. The overall high points are mediocre too with very little to keep me interested. The visual effects were really nice to see in some areas but even those got annoying at times. The cameos were nice at first glance but to find out they have no relation to being prior Ghostbusters is just another low point in the film. It's really something I'd rather watch being home than in the movie theater as if never really took off as a reboot. To be honest I'd rather watch Independence Day: Resurgence again as bad as that movie was. If you do watch this film be prepared for average movie experience with some titter and more neon ghosts than a rave party but a film that just feels empty and without anything genuine to the Ghostbuster franchise. Expand
ALtheKiller86Jul 17, 2016
Not trying to jump onto the hate bandwagon here, but this is seriously one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. Cringe worthy and nearly unwatchable. A barbaric mishandling of a franchise. And it has nothing to do with the gender ofNot trying to jump onto the hate bandwagon here, but this is seriously one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. Cringe worthy and nearly unwatchable. A barbaric mishandling of a franchise. And it has nothing to do with the gender of the cast, but everything to do with the director/producer/screenwriters. The reviews that say 'Oh its not the bad' or 'Give it a chance, its pretty good' are completely out of touch. It's sad really. Hopefully the reboot the franchise again, go back to doing a sequel/canon continuation and GIVE IT TO A DIFFERENT FILMMAKER!!! The only other option is to just let it die. This film is soooooo bad, I'm kinda leaning towards the ladder.

PROS:
-the 3D is pretty good
-the music score is okay.
-Chris Hemsworth is hilarious, albeit completely inappropriate and out of context for this kind of film

CONS:
-literally everything else!!

In closing...this film is horrid and quite possibly the worst film of 2016. Avoid. If you're dying of curiosity, wait until Netflix or Redbox. Seriously. Save your money. It's not worth it.
007jamesbondJul 15, 2016
This movie is one of the worst movies I have ever seen! The jokes in this movie are soooo stupid, not to mention that every guy in this movie is portrayed as a n idiot!!!
EHTZ28Jul 23, 2016
This movie is not funny at all. The plot is weak and filled with plot holes. Almost all the characters are flat caricatures without an story arc. All the people in this film act like idiots. The only character I liked was Patty. She was forThis movie is not funny at all. The plot is weak and filled with plot holes. Almost all the characters are flat caricatures without an story arc. All the people in this film act like idiots. The only character I liked was Patty. She was for me the only character that acted like a normal person and the only reason I give this movie 1/10.
The movie has a very strong misandrist tone. All men in this movie are either idiots, cowards or ****
dg54321Jul 15, 2016
Really one of the worst movies, ever. Worse than the recent Independence Day sequel. A careless insult to the many fans of the original in a lame attempt to cash in on man-hate, with horrible CGI, horrible acting, annoying characters (thatReally one of the worst movies, ever. Worse than the recent Independence Day sequel. A careless insult to the many fans of the original in a lame attempt to cash in on man-hate, with horrible CGI, horrible acting, annoying characters (that are all stereotypes), an incredibly intelligence-insulting plot and overall is just painful to sit through. Irritated I was forced to sit through it with my girlfriend. Don't waste your money. Don't go to this movie. Period. Expand
TubeyJul 17, 2016
I feel dirty for several reasons after watching this. First, because by paying to watch it, I've contributed to this becoming a "thing" which will see sequel after sequel. Second, because I felt my intelligence insulted by the sheer stupidityI feel dirty for several reasons after watching this. First, because by paying to watch it, I've contributed to this becoming a "thing" which will see sequel after sequel. Second, because I felt my intelligence insulted by the sheer stupidity of the story and 'jokes', for want of a better word. And third - and most importantly - I now feel like I'll be made out to be a sexist for hating it, which is ridiculous.

Ghostbusters 2016 is an awful movie. It makes no attempt whatsoever to be coherent in its narrative, the jokes all misfire - I mean every single one of them, queef jokes included. The effects are straight out of Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion (for the uninitiated to that trainwreck of a movie, that means the effects are bad!) and it is a money-grubbing pander-fest from start to finish.

Most galling of all, the movie is out and out offensive. It's amazing to me that a movie that stood it's ground and called itself progressive, wanting to put women forward as strong role models in leading roles in movies... ends up giving the women here cookie cutter, dumb as a post characters that don't evolve or do anything meaningful throughout the entire thing. This is meant to be 'empowering' for women? Really? Is this what you girls want to hang up and go, "yeah, this is girl power!" Really?!?!

The men in the movie are portrayed as blithering idiots, and just exist to make sexist jokes out of. Not one character has any semblance of realism about them - not once did I think, "this is what a character would believably do in this situation." Not once.

It has none of the horror aspects of the originals in this movie series - in fact, apart from calling itself Ghostbusters, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the licence. This is a sketch show, dragged over an hour and a half, with amateur writing, direction and effects, which just completely misses the mark. It's just bad joke after bad joke - not once did it even raise a smirk; all it got out of me was a constant look of pure astonishment that a team largely made up of the one that brought us the excellent Bridesmaids can come up with pure diarrhea such as this.

Too many people pitched themselves to a political post with this one - too many people lambasted the bastardisation of a beloved franchise simply to make a feminist point, and conversely too many people lambasted men for being sexist pigs. The truth is both sides were wrong to do so; as this movie isn't worth the effort either way. This was a cynical cash grab, aiming to milk money out of feminists, who deserve much more effort and thought going into projects like this, so we can truly see progressive, strong movies and other media with well thought out and admirable female characters.

But I'm a sexist for thinking this, right? Give me a break... The short story on this - if you want to see a good movie, avoid this one like the plague.