RADiUS-TWC | Release Date: September 11, 2015
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 202 Ratings
Watch Now
ProsmoothSep 12, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think I've seen too many movies. I think there is supposed to have been a couple of surprise revelations here--but I saw them both coming near the beginning of the film. Strangely though, the film still works because I wasn't quite sure if I was being manipulated or not while I was watching it. Some of the clues to both reveals were really obvious. I'm not really sure if the audience is supposed to be surprised or not. I guess that is a credit to the filmmakers. This reminded me of a Haneke film. Slow pace--but that gives the audience time to ponder. There is a real sadness to the movie too, which creeps into every frame. I think it's a great film after all is said and done. Expand
CarribeanDeanJan 1, 2016
I had to pause it half way through. now I am writing the review based on that. simply fantastic imagery and filmmaking. A really good movie has the ability to captivate us with images that tap into something deep inside. a place where we areI had to pause it half way through. now I am writing the review based on that. simply fantastic imagery and filmmaking. A really good movie has the ability to captivate us with images that tap into something deep inside. a place where we are ruled by emotion and instinct. For example, (not really a spoiler) the kids have a fish tank full of giant cockroaches as a pet and the image of it is so incredibly unsettling yet fascinating. these creatures are docile and inoffensive like beatles yet I want to flush them all down a toilet. Expand
srtafozexSep 11, 2015
The minimalism has made the film to come out very well. The performance and the relationship between the characters, almost without any talk, are impeccable. Loved it!
GinaKOct 10, 2015
Goodnight Mommy is a true horror movie, where truly horrible things happen, and I am going to do my best not to give anything away. The person I was with caught on early, but I caught on very late (read too many reviews). I think the best wayGoodnight Mommy is a true horror movie, where truly horrible things happen, and I am going to do my best not to give anything away. The person I was with caught on early, but I caught on very late (read too many reviews). I think the best way to see this movie is innocently but watchfully, without any preconceptions, and you might catch on more quickly than I did. I am eager to see the film again to find all the “tells” that start right from the beginning and to experience them again. If you don’t catch on, you might just think it is an “arty” European film. It’s not. It’s horror at its best – the horror grounded in reality. Have I said too much? Expand
ralphingtonNov 15, 2015
A modern classic. A wholly consuming film that is a clever thriller. The cinematography itself is a work of art. This rejuvenates a genre that had become generally predictable.The twins are utilized to startling effect.
vitorthehumanDec 21, 2015
If this film were a person, I would date. I got hooked by it. I was surprised by the performances. For sure I will never stop loving this movie. One of the best in the genre, absolutely.
LamontRaymondSep 18, 2015
I went to see this movie becaus Radius advertised it referencing "It Follows" - if you liked that, you'll love this. Well, no. It follows is one of the year's best films. This one has a great premise, but it goes for the gross out sequencesI went to see this movie becaus Radius advertised it referencing "It Follows" - if you liked that, you'll love this. Well, no. It follows is one of the year's best films. This one has a great premise, but it goes for the gross out sequences which It Follows never relies upon. I didn't see the twist coming, but when it does happen, it's not super interesting. I simply expected more from the critical acclaim. Expand
LeZeeSep 24, 2015
If a mother isn't being one, her own child would doubt her.

If a mother isn't being one, her own child would doubt her.

The Austrian thriller-drama, is going to contend with another nearly 100 movies from the different countries for the upcoming (2016) American Academy Awards. I hope it will make into the final shortlist and my wishes to the cast and the crew. A minimal cast movie, set in an isolated lake house where the 9 years old twin boys and their mother lives. After their mother returning from the major facial surgery, the brothers doubts is she's the same person. They have no choice, but have to go for an unusual route to find out the truth.

Initially it was very slow, but keeps accelerating since the beginning of the second half and it ends strongly. You have to be an open minded, that is very important especially for this movie. Try to understand what it delivers than what you want see. I mean prediction is okay, but don't assume in a wider aspect. The narration was so simple and you may think the end is so cliche, but the movie does not bother to provide a surprise. Before going to talk about the twist, you have clear a couple of things.

The first question you have to answer yourself is what is 'horror' mean to you. The demons? The ghosts? Other creepy creatures? The zombies? Possession and exorcism? Haunted places and objects? Imposter? You know 'terror' is also called 'horror', which is a very close to the 'thriller' than being an actual 'horror'. Different movies explain in a different way, but this movie is not that distinctive from those, except being unconventional in revealing the details related to the story and characters.

"I want you to repeat ten times
that I'm your mother."

This film had a few diversions in the name of the genre. That is the reason why it failed to satisfy the horror fans, but so much better without mentioning that around. You have to be careful from the beginning itself, observing closely every scene. Because the storytelling commences with a hint within the first 10 minutes which is equivalent to the twist. You must get it right, or the rest of the narration won't be interesting enough.

So it is a one time shot, for the second time watch it won't be that effective. Some people deny the casual twist that comes in the first act which is too early for them and so they expects one in the final section only to get disappointed. Nothing wrong with the audience getting annoyed, but the film being atypical, just changing the order of all the three acts, that's it. The writer wanted the viewers to keep guessing throughout the their watch. That's the twist in the filmmaking, not in the actual film. Other than that it was not a smartest movie with the turnovers to amaze or confuse you.

I mean it has a proper conclusion, and you would know what it is, but should have to wait for how it's going to take place. I have seen many guys criticising that part particularly, but I felt it was good and made the movie a better product. Definitely one of the best films of the year, especially in my perception. From the posters to the trailer and teaser to the movie, it was being truthful. Never intend to cheat you, except like I said if you assume the things to happen in your way. Specially a big NO to the fancy stuffs like graphics and high pitch sudden sound/noise that's very common in horror to scare you. If you are a Hollywood fanatic, you definitely miss those doses and blame the movie.

A great directional debut as well as the twins with the real names on-screen. It got some intense scares, but limits the grossness. Had less dialogues and more in acts. Pretty rare movie and I am surprised that the critics liked this film more than the movie fanatics. But I'm happy that I'm not one of those to dislike it being a movie buff. My only disappointment is the outro scene (the exit scene) (in Hollywood it for kissing) which comes after the conclusion and before the end credit (sometimes, along the credit). I strongly recommend it, and I hope you consider some of the points I wrote in this review, otherwise I barely recommend it.

BrianMcCriticDec 28, 2015
Three quarters of the way through Goodnight Mommy I was riveted by the look and feel of this film. Just the sense of doom you get in every scene really had me impressed. Then right before the final quarter of the film I figured out theThree quarters of the way through Goodnight Mommy I was riveted by the look and feel of this film. Just the sense of doom you get in every scene really had me impressed. Then right before the final quarter of the film I figured out the twist. This alone did not hurt the film in my eyes, but some of the choices at the end of the film did. Overall I will say this film has stayed with me and for that it's definitely worth a recommendation. B+ Expand
MattBrady99Sep 21, 2015
This movie has probably the most misleading and the most spoiled filled trailer I've seen in awhile. If you haven't seen the trailer yet then please stay far way from it, because the trailer as I said is very misleading and for some reason itThis movie has probably the most misleading and the most spoiled filled trailer I've seen in awhile. If you haven't seen the trailer yet then please stay far way from it, because the trailer as I said is very misleading and for some reason it connects a couple of scenes together in the trailer to make you think something happens that never occurred in the movie. You've been warned.

The story is about a lonely house between the woods and cornfields - the summer sweltering. Two brothers, 9-year-old twins, wait for their mother to come home following her plastic surgery. She arrives, bruised and bandaged - the boys don't trust this "stranger" and soon the fundamentals of trust and identity emerge.

Before seeing 'Goodnight Mommy', I was expecting it to be the 2015 "Babadook", just because of the hype from the trailer alone and how both movies had that psychological thriller to it. I was looking forward to seeing this movie, because indie horror movies can really get to me sometimes and that's by it's brilliant way of building up suspense, creating a chilling sense of it's atmosphere, and the fear itself. All that was basically in the trailer to "Goodnight Mommy" which people have called it "the scariest trailer their ever seen", which I bet those people never seen any other horror trailers. Me and everyone else was expecting a scary thriller from what we got from the trailer, and what I've being hearing so far is that the trailer completely lied to us and the movie itself is not what you think. This is a problem with movie trailers today as I feel they need to pick the right people to edit the trailer probably. Trailers like: The Babadook, Drive, Edge of Tomorrow, Cabin in the Woods and Paddington are the kind of misleading trailers that I'm sick of seeing, because it's basically lying to the audience on the type of movie their watching.

I finally watched Goodnight Mommy and I actually enjoyed it...for what it was. It may not be the "scariest horror movie of the year", but it dose have it's good and also disappointing moments in it's total run time.

What I quickly noticed in the movie is that no one acts normal. The mother and the two kids are extremely strange and that alone sets up this world of itself with many strange things that could easily happen. That's the biggest thing Goodnight Mommy dose perfectly well is by making you feel uncomfortable and gives you that psychological feel to it.

All the performances in the movie were pretty good, I mean the kid actors wasn't terrible as I thought they were going to be, because most kid actors in horror movies usually suck at acting, but not here. Susanne Wuest (Plays the mother) also did great in the movie as I felt she really added a lot to her character when it comes to acting suspicious and not quite herself, and Susanne absolutely nailed it.

Now for the bad: The last half of this movie suddenly turns into this Hostel type film and that's when I was a little disappointed with, because too me it felt really unneeded and unnecessary. It was thrown in there for shock and to make the audience gasp. The movie acts like it has a deep meaning to it and what were the boys thinking and how they don't understand a lot of the things that was going on, but it just didn't mash well together.

The movie started off pretty strong and quite promising, but then it quickly loss that mature psychological thrill it had, and then all of a sudden it jumped to this over the top violence that just felt thrown in. It literally felt like a different director came in on the last minute. But keep in mind that this is just my opinion and you can disagree whatever you want.

The writing as well doesn't always work when you look back at certain events that happened in the movie, and yes I'm talking about that unneeded torture scene.

Overall Goodnight Mommy was a very creepy movie that I had a great time watching. The movie is very unsettling at times and I also like how different it is from other horror movie we've seen many times before. The movie has it's flaws but I still recommend seeing Goodnight Mommy if your interested or not, just please don't watch the trailer.
SquintyReviewsSep 28, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a movie about ambiance. Everything from the amazing
cinematography, the rife symbolic imagery, to the character portrayals is about the experience of hallucinating. Even though you
know early on the secret surrounding the two boys. Its not about
revelation of the secret surrounding them, so much as watching the fallout of that realization, and some of the extremes it can go to.

The child actors were natural with just a hint of something off, without being to much one thing or the other, the mother was a bit…off as a mother figure, but that could be considered as the key part of the plot, or in general a portrayed faulty person being interpreted through a skewed lens.

A great deal of obvious film making talent went into this Austrian
masterpiece, a bit laid back here and there, not an overly jump scare kind of film, which is perfect for the story being portrayed, adding yet another layer to the definition of Horror.
assaedSep 1, 2018
فيلم رائع يروي معاناة عائلة (طفل و أمه) بعد فقدان شخص عزيز
فيلم بنسق بطيء تتخلله العديد من اللقطات الصامتة و لكنها جد معبرة تمثيل مبهر للتوأم
نهاية حزينة تمنيت أن تكون أفضل
فيلم رائع يروي معاناة عائلة (طفل و أمه) بعد فقدان شخص عزيز
نهاية حزينة تمنيت أن تكون أفضل
GirardOct 13, 2018
It's an effective piece of psychological horror filled with moments of fierce anxiety. Its darkness and cruelty combined with its unnerving plot and some graphic scenes make this film a truly fascinating experience for horror fans. You neverIt's an effective piece of psychological horror filled with moments of fierce anxiety. Its darkness and cruelty combined with its unnerving plot and some graphic scenes make this film a truly fascinating experience for horror fans. You never even get to understand what's truly going on until the last minutes of the film. Expand
violaskyeAug 27, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Classic Dark Movie of Trauma and Psychological Disorder(s)

This film screams Adjustment Disorder/Anxiety/Depression that can easily be diagnosed into something more sinister with budding sociopath and schizophrenia as a result from trauma and grief, oedipus that reminds me a bit of Hitler and Norman Bate's obsession(s), sexual fantasy, death of animals, and anti social personality disorder. It is clear that the twin dies from an accident in the beginning which may or may not resulted from car accident or drowning in the lake and latter comes to mind which is obvious of guilt from Elias. His imagination is normal which takes us in the woods and the inquisitive games that boys play at this age. However, the sinister behavior manifests deeper as movie unfolds which shows patterns of hallucinations, delusions, obsessions, and reality vs. fantasy. The mother is clearly grieving herself and isolating herself with depression and uncertain of how to handle her son. If given the proper help, medication(s), therapy, lack of isolation, and ability to communicate properly when dealing with trauma. I believe that the ending represents death to all of them; which could have been avoided.