Orion Pictures | Release Date: January 31, 2020
4.3
Mixed or average reviews based on 58 Ratings
Watch Now
KeithDowJan 31, 2020
'Hansel and Gretel' is a surprise low-key gem that horror fans are always looking for but rarely find. The plot is smartly conceived, the visuals are intriguingly stylish, and the tone of the film is genuinely creepy.

Cinematographer Galo

Cinematographer Galo Olivares lends a hypnotic and immersive feel to the inspired production design by Jeremy Reed, bolstered by an assertive third effort from director Osgood Perkins, who is surely set for bigger and grander projects to come.
OlddadFeb 4, 2020
PC, intersectional bastardized fairy tale. Acting is fine, sets are fine, story that the world is driven by magic woman’s decisions and not faith family fidelity is social justice swill. Glad I did matinee with senior discount.
Tony1984Feb 7, 2020
What they did well, they did very well. Cinematography, production, score and the performance of the leads, Gretel and the Witch, were excellent. What they did poorly was a slow story that meandered and mumbled too much. What they didWhat they did well, they did very well. Cinematography, production, score and the performance of the leads, Gretel and the Witch, were excellent. What they did poorly was a slow story that meandered and mumbled too much. What they did terribly was the embarrassingly woke casting of minor characters. This kind of thing is just eyerollingly stupid. Do a Ghanian version of Hansel and Gretel with Ghanaian actors and we’ll go see it. Don’t shoehorn diversity in for the sake of it where it is obviously out of place. It detracts and diminishes minorities and Europeans alike. Expand
luckystrike_bhFeb 4, 2020
The best part about this movie is the run time of 90 minutes. I should not be bored at 60 minutes. The narration is completely unnecessary in the movie. Plot holes are distracting to the viewer experience. This is a watch for free onThe best part about this movie is the run time of 90 minutes. I should not be bored at 60 minutes. The narration is completely unnecessary in the movie. Plot holes are distracting to the viewer experience. This is a watch for free on streaming service after there is nothing else on your list type of movie. Don't waste your hard earned money on it. I will give an up for some solid visuals but its too little, too late. Expand
AsclepiusJan 31, 2020
Alice Krige's performance was excellent, and I suppose something can be said for the cinematography and art direction. It's the writing that really brings this title down. Do not recommend.
GinaKJan 31, 2020
Even though this was obviously a film with a modest budget (all the action takes place in a forest and the buildings in that forest), the setting eventually became an advantage, partly because all the actors gave excellent performances,Even though this was obviously a film with a modest budget (all the action takes place in a forest and the buildings in that forest), the setting eventually became an advantage, partly because all the actors gave excellent performances, especially the child actors who were sympathetic without any cloying sentimentality. You cared about them and their fate after their mother abandons them. The fairy tale elements were handled with sophistication, thanks to a good script and sensitive direction. Films like these prove that you don’t need huge budgets and whiz-bank special effects to make an interesting and engaging film. Expand
TheQuietGamerFeb 3, 2020
The Suspiria of this generation. Oz Perkins' dark twist on the classic fairy tale showcases the same kind of slow burn, eerie horror his previous works are known for. Only now with a hallucinatory effect brought on by a use of vibrant colors,The Suspiria of this generation. Oz Perkins' dark twist on the classic fairy tale showcases the same kind of slow burn, eerie horror his previous works are known for. Only now with a hallucinatory effect brought on by a use of vibrant colors, mind-bending camera angles, and an oppressive soundtrack.

Gretel & Hansel doesn't just resemble Dario Argento's masterpiece stylistically however. As it too features a plot centered around magic, witches, and the manipulation of young women. It can also be just as difficult to figure out. It's easy to keep track of what's going on at the surface level, but Perkins and Hayes have loaded this with subtext that's more difficult to decipher. A few themes do stick out, but the deeper meaning of it all may have alluded me. I don't feel this is a fault of the writing despite some elements of the story coming off as jumbled or confusing. Instead just a lack of understanding on my part.

Rather than delivering big scares Perkins creates an anxiety inducing atmosphere and lets us writhe in agonized anticipation over that which which never actually arrives while tormenting us with surreal and disturbing imagery reminiscent of Silent Hill. For some this will feel like all foreplay and no orgasm. However, as a fan of this kind of paranoia creating, expectation subverting approach to horror I found the movie to be very effective at getting under my skin and sending spiders crawling up my spine.

An early contender for best horror movie of 2020.

9.9/10
AvodeskormFeb 3, 2020
If you are passionate about cinematic experiences that present a one-of-a-kind vision, where every scene is delicately crafted to poetic beauty, then skipping Gretel & Hansel would be a grievous mistake.
RuffingtonFeb 2, 2020
Genuinely creepy, visually stunning, unusual take on the fairy tale. It may take a little getting used to, specifically with regards to the way the dialogue is written, and I can imagine that casual audiences might not take to itGenuinely creepy, visually stunning, unusual take on the fairy tale. It may take a little getting used to, specifically with regards to the way the dialogue is written, and I can imagine that casual audiences might not take to it immediately. But overall I think it's an exceptionally stylish entry into the genre and I look forward to whatever's next from the director. Expand
LejonouFeb 15, 2020
Like , its so goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood Omggggggggggggggggggggg
StormSorceressFeb 9, 2020
Sooo Bad. Not scary, not a rich story, boring, one of the worst movies I spent money on and I really wanted to walk out of the movie because it was that disinteresting but I was out with my Mom on a daytrip in a new town so we sat through andSooo Bad. Not scary, not a rich story, boring, one of the worst movies I spent money on and I really wanted to walk out of the movie because it was that disinteresting but I was out with my Mom on a daytrip in a new town so we sat through and endured it. We left both feeling like we wasted our time. It doesn't have appeal in any way- Do not waste your time. Expand
aynksFeb 14, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gretel and Hansel provides a different thriller/horror experience that Robert Eggers would not be too fond of. Although its aspect ratio, cinematography, and acting contain noticeable accomplishments, its lackluster narrative can leave audience members wanting to take a nap halfway through the film.

I believe Gretel and Hansel's biggest accomplishments were through cinematography and acting. With Eggers being a prime influence, this was shot in an abnormal aspect ratio that was definitely unique to watch. The cinematography is great in my opinion. There were plenty of scenes that were shot to perfection and it kept the movies pace going even though it felt too long. The acting was great, I believe everyone killed it (specifically Sophia Lillis). Some areas of these had faults though... The CGI of the witch's younger form was really hard to watch coming out of the drain. I actually laughed out loud while watching. That whole scene was just rough... really rough...

That is the main issue. There was some good paces throughout the movie, but they always led to dull, uneventful, and mediocre moments that were not scary but just weird to view as an audience member. I mean, seriously, there are a few scenes in this movie that are absolutely awful and hard to watch. You almost think it is a different movie. Almost as if the writers ripped off part of the script and made up the missing pieces overnight.

The plot, screenplay, etc. that was the ultimate downfall. The movie was not even at 2 hours, but I felt like I was sitting there for at least 4. I just wanted it to be over. The plot was not progressing and it already seemed to be predictable beyond belief. I like the twist of enhancing Gretel's role, but it just led itself down some bad trails.

Overall, I may have talked about positives and negatives fairly equal here, but the negative took this one for me. The plot was bland and had no strength to run and achieve a better satisfaction for its audience. This hurts the most because I feel Gretel and Hansel had some potential with its story. Unfortunately, with its flat climax I find myself wanting to take a few naps pretty early in.
robertoiglesiasFeb 15, 2020
Great, another overly feminist film. How fuc*king great. What is up with Hollywood for these last few months?! December and January have been abysmal. Cats, Black Christmas 2019, The Grudge 2020, Dolittle, and now this! Oh god
JLuis_001Feb 11, 2020
Applause for the visual and the atmospheric, the rest doesn't make it
It's just an attempt to become something more captivating but the attempt becomes tedious after a while.

Horror? Forget about it.
manningn15Feb 17, 2020
Gretel & Hansel is my favorite horror movie of 2020, one of my favorite movies of 2020, one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and one of my favorite movies of all time. The cinematography was exceptional and beautifully done. TheGretel & Hansel is my favorite horror movie of 2020, one of my favorite movies of 2020, one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and one of my favorite movies of all time. The cinematography was exceptional and beautifully done. The visual effects were outstanding and super cool and creepy. The sets were spectacular especically the forest. The costumes were stupendous especially the ones wore by Alice Krige and Sophia Lillis. The makeup and hairstyling was phenomenal especically on Alice Krige. The acting from Sophia Lillis, Alice Krige, and Sammy Leakey was excellent. The writing and story were superb especially the horror elements and the artistic take on a well known fairy tale. The pacing was the only thing that I would criticize, it was slow going for most of the movie. Overall a pretty good movie. Expand
theredskyFeb 4, 2020
Gretel and Hansel feels like Oz Perkins is trying to make his movie feel like a Robert Eggers film but it fails at that. The only aspects I really enjoyed were technical ones. The one element that I felt was great was the score by RobinGretel and Hansel feels like Oz Perkins is trying to make his movie feel like a Robert Eggers film but it fails at that. The only aspects I really enjoyed were technical ones. The one element that I felt was great was the score by Robin Coudert. It’s intense and is the only thing that causes some scenes to have some sort of tension. The cinematography was pretty good. It felt atmospheric and made some scenes look very visually interesting. The production design was pretty good also. The sets look interesting and unique. As much as I enjoy the technical aspects, the rest of the film falls below average. The performances range from good to bad. Alice Krige did a good job as the witch. She had her moments but there really wasn’t a whole lot to it. She was able to make her bad dialogue sound somewhat better. Sophia Lillis was decent as Gretel and Sam Leakey as Hansel was pretty bad. Their performances are made a little worse by the script. The script is pretty bad. The dialogue spoken between characters is extremely awkward and poor and can cause you to look at the screen and think, “what the hell?”. The characters were uninteresting to me. There wasn’t a lot to them that made me want to care about their struggles. The story and flow of events was very boring to me. Besides the visuals, there wasn’t anything that was getting me invested with what was going on. The good thing though is that the film isn’t even an hour and a half long so it isn’t a pain to sit through but it felt a little bit longer due to pacing issues. The first act of the film goes by very quickly but the rest of the film is very slow. It attempts to set up the characters and then drags out their encounter with the witch a little too much. Overall, Gretel and Hansel may have some great technical aspects but its performances, story, script, and pacing really drag the film down for me. Expand
fiftywordreviewFeb 5, 2020
Gretel and Hansel attempts to elevate the classic fairy tale but ends up suffering from a narrative that is more convoluted than compelling. The visuals and cinematography are impressive, but the non-technical aspects of the film come up short.
Kendallr13Feb 1, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There weren’t much scares throughout the movie and it was longer than it should have been, but it did give me an eerie feeling as the movie went on. Expand
OleGeinFeb 5, 2020
Good movie, great cinematography, audio, with some serious creepy vibes. The film was a pleasant surprise, as I had no real hype going into the theater for it. The audio and visuals are top notch, even if the audio could be a bit repetitive.Good movie, great cinematography, audio, with some serious creepy vibes. The film was a pleasant surprise, as I had no real hype going into the theater for it. The audio and visuals are top notch, even if the audio could be a bit repetitive. I was a little worried it would follow the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale to the tee, but was relieved when it was a twist of the classic (Who want's to watch a story that everyone already knows?). The main criticism I have is the dialogue, which is a bit clunky for my liking, but you get use to it after the first fifteen minutes of the film. I will say, it felt like the filmmakers watched Eggers' The Witch and thought Hansel & Gretel would fit well in that world. Overall a good watch! Expand
KimergyFeb 8, 2020
Great cinematography and the great soundtrack by Rob made the movie complete. It’s a slow burner. But that made it great. Not your usual horrorflick.
GrammyWanFeb 9, 2020
Gretel and Hansel was not enjoyable. I wish we had gone with our first instinct and left at the beginning of the movie- but we wanted to give it a chance. We tried to find anything to like about the movie. But we couldn’t . The acting didn’tGretel and Hansel was not enjoyable. I wish we had gone with our first instinct and left at the beginning of the movie- but we wanted to give it a chance. We tried to find anything to like about the movie. But we couldn’t . The acting didn’t even save it. It was dull and dreary. It was not scary, just yuck. It made us feel like we needed fresh air afterwards. It is a firm NO. Skip it Expand
BemorecreativeFeb 10, 2020
Nothing like the story, Really lacked in direction. My attention was more on how did the producers direct such erratic BS
athlbr3Feb 12, 2020
This film definitely is not for everyone, especially (what I suspect to be) a large segment of the traditional horror fan base. This film's main focuses are conveying the atmosphere through its (slightly) oppressive and alien visuals andThis film definitely is not for everyone, especially (what I suspect to be) a large segment of the traditional horror fan base. This film's main focuses are conveying the atmosphere through its (slightly) oppressive and alien visuals and telling a story about female independence in the times of Middle Age Europe, when and where a young girl's choices in life were either to be a kitchen-bound broodmare or a nun (not all that fundamentally different in the Western world until one-and-a-half centuries ago, actually). Holding and practicing strong notions of self-pride and (insolent!) independence since before the film's story event starts, Gretel (Lillis) is determined to make her own way in the world.

I really like the film's reexamination of the morals and public perception of The Witch, Holda (Krige & De Gouw), for there is certainly some truth in many a feminists' complaint that (some) men fear powerful women.

Sophia Lillis makes for a solid lead actress, but I have to say that Alice Krige commands the screen better, if for no other reason than her longer experience in her craft. Sam Leakey (as Hansel) is okay, but just an afterthought, at least to me.

Where the film does fall short is relying too much on mood and visuals to stretch a pretty straightforward story to 87 minutes. As it barely contains any action scenes to speak of, I feel that 70 minutes would a more appropriate running time mark. Also, a few of the plot points are brought up without any followup, such as the things Hansel encounters when he wanders into the woods by himself.

To all the man-children whining about the film being too politically correct (PC) due to its title and other supposed indignities, I urge you to pick your shriveled brains and actually remember whom the protagonist is, because it sure ain't Hansel.
thumperFeb 18, 2020
After reading the various reviews I didn't expect to enjoy this film as much as I did. I thought the cinematography, story line, and acting by done. The story line was not the story line I knew at a much younger age. However, it kept meAfter reading the various reviews I didn't expect to enjoy this film as much as I did. I thought the cinematography, story line, and acting by done. The story line was not the story line I knew at a much younger age. However, it kept me involved in the film. The performances by Sophia Lissis,Alice Krige and Jessica De Gouw were very good ! My only criticism of the film is that the ending was a bit weak for my taste. Otherwise, I would recommend seeing this film ! TL Expand