Orion Pictures | Release Date: January 31, 2020
4.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 60 Ratings
Watch Now
KeithDowJan 31, 2020
'Hansel and Gretel' is a surprise low-key gem that horror fans are always looking for but rarely find. The plot is smartly conceived, the visuals are intriguingly stylish, and the tone of the film is genuinely creepy.

Cinematographer Galo

Cinematographer Galo Olivares lends a hypnotic and immersive feel to the inspired production design by Jeremy Reed, bolstered by an assertive third effort from director Osgood Perkins, who is surely set for bigger and grander projects to come.
GinaKJan 31, 2020
Even though this was obviously a film with a modest budget (all the action takes place in a forest and the buildings in that forest), the setting eventually became an advantage, partly because all the actors gave excellent performances,Even though this was obviously a film with a modest budget (all the action takes place in a forest and the buildings in that forest), the setting eventually became an advantage, partly because all the actors gave excellent performances, especially the child actors who were sympathetic without any cloying sentimentality. You cared about them and their fate after their mother abandons them. The fairy tale elements were handled with sophistication, thanks to a good script and sensitive direction. Films like these prove that you don’t need huge budgets and whiz-bank special effects to make an interesting and engaging film. Expand
TheQuietGamerFeb 3, 2020
The Suspiria of this generation. Oz Perkins' dark twist on the classic fairy tale showcases the same kind of slow burn, eerie horror his previous works are known for. Only now with a hallucinatory effect brought on by a use of vibrant colors,The Suspiria of this generation. Oz Perkins' dark twist on the classic fairy tale showcases the same kind of slow burn, eerie horror his previous works are known for. Only now with a hallucinatory effect brought on by a use of vibrant colors, mind-bending camera angles, and an oppressive soundtrack.

Gretel & Hansel doesn't just resemble Dario Argento's masterpiece stylistically however. As it too features a plot centered around magic, witches, and the manipulation of young women. It can also be just as difficult to figure out. It's easy to keep track of what's going on at the surface level, but Perkins and Hayes have loaded this with subtext that's more difficult to decipher. A few themes do stick out, but the deeper meaning of it all may have alluded me. I don't feel this is a fault of the writing despite some elements of the story coming off as jumbled or confusing. Instead just a lack of understanding on my part.

Rather than delivering big scares Perkins creates an anxiety inducing atmosphere and lets us writhe in agonized anticipation over that which which never actually arrives while tormenting us with surreal and disturbing imagery reminiscent of Silent Hill. For some this will feel like all foreplay and no orgasm. However, as a fan of this kind of paranoia creating, expectation subverting approach to horror I found the movie to be very effective at getting under my skin and sending spiders crawling up my spine.

An early contender for best horror movie of 2020.

9.9/10
AvodeskormFeb 3, 2020
If you are passionate about cinematic experiences that present a one-of-a-kind vision, where every scene is delicately crafted to poetic beauty, then skipping Gretel & Hansel would be a grievous mistake.
RuffingtonFeb 2, 2020
Genuinely creepy, visually stunning, unusual take on the fairy tale. It may take a little getting used to, specifically with regards to the way the dialogue is written, and I can imagine that casual audiences might not take to itGenuinely creepy, visually stunning, unusual take on the fairy tale. It may take a little getting used to, specifically with regards to the way the dialogue is written, and I can imagine that casual audiences might not take to it immediately. But overall I think it's an exceptionally stylish entry into the genre and I look forward to whatever's next from the director. Expand
LejonouFeb 15, 2020
Like , its so goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood Omggggggggggggggggggggg
Rehrihcritic88Feb 20, 2020
Filme muito bom, excelentes atuações, e a história adaptada para o terror faz com que o telespectador fique preso a trama com muita ansiedade e curiosidade.
manningn15Feb 17, 2020
Gretel & Hansel is my favorite horror movie of 2020, one of my favorite movies of 2020, one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and one of my favorite movies of all time. The cinematography was exceptional and beautifully done. TheGretel & Hansel is my favorite horror movie of 2020, one of my favorite movies of 2020, one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and one of my favorite movies of all time. The cinematography was exceptional and beautifully done. The visual effects were outstanding and super cool and creepy. The sets were spectacular especically the forest. The costumes were stupendous especially the ones wore by Alice Krige and Sophia Lillis. The makeup and hairstyling was phenomenal especically on Alice Krige. The acting from Sophia Lillis, Alice Krige, and Sammy Leakey was excellent. The writing and story were superb especially the horror elements and the artistic take on a well known fairy tale. The pacing was the only thing that I would criticize, it was slow going for most of the movie. Overall a pretty good movie. Expand
Kendallr13Feb 1, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There weren’t much scares throughout the movie and it was longer than it should have been, but it did give me an eerie feeling as the movie went on. Expand
OleGeinFeb 5, 2020
Good movie, great cinematography, audio, with some serious creepy vibes. The film was a pleasant surprise, as I had no real hype going into the theater for it. The audio and visuals are top notch, even if the audio could be a bit repetitive.Good movie, great cinematography, audio, with some serious creepy vibes. The film was a pleasant surprise, as I had no real hype going into the theater for it. The audio and visuals are top notch, even if the audio could be a bit repetitive. I was a little worried it would follow the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale to the tee, but was relieved when it was a twist of the classic (Who want's to watch a story that everyone already knows?). The main criticism I have is the dialogue, which is a bit clunky for my liking, but you get use to it after the first fifteen minutes of the film. I will say, it felt like the filmmakers watched Eggers' The Witch and thought Hansel & Gretel would fit well in that world. Overall a good watch! Expand
athlbr3Feb 12, 2020
This film definitely is not for everyone, especially (what I suspect to be) a large segment of the traditional horror fan base. This film's main focuses are conveying the atmosphere through its (slightly) oppressive and alien visuals andThis film definitely is not for everyone, especially (what I suspect to be) a large segment of the traditional horror fan base. This film's main focuses are conveying the atmosphere through its (slightly) oppressive and alien visuals and telling a story about female independence in the times of Middle Age Europe, when and where a young girl's choices in life were either to be a kitchen-bound broodmare or a nun (not all that fundamentally different in the Western world until one-and-a-half centuries ago, actually). Holding and practicing strong notions of self-pride and (insolent!) independence since before the film's story event starts, Gretel (Lillis) is determined to make her own way in the world.

I really like the film's reexamination of the morals and public perception of The Witch, Holda (Krige & De Gouw), for there is certainly some truth in many a feminists' complaint that (some) men fear powerful women.

Sophia Lillis makes for a solid lead actress, but I have to say that Alice Krige commands the screen better, if for no other reason than her longer experience in her craft. Sam Leakey (as Hansel) is okay, but just an afterthought, at least to me.

Where the film does fall short is relying too much on mood and visuals to stretch a pretty straightforward story to 87 minutes. As it barely contains any action scenes to speak of, I feel that 70 minutes would a more appropriate running time mark. Also, a few of the plot points are brought up without any followup, such as the things Hansel encounters when he wanders into the woods by himself.

To all the man-children whining about the film being too politically correct (PC) due to its title and other supposed indignities, I urge you to pick your shriveled brains and actually remember whom the protagonist is, because it sure ain't Hansel.
thumperFeb 18, 2020
After reading the various reviews I didn't expect to enjoy this film as much as I did. I thought the cinematography, story line, and acting by done. The story line was not the story line I knew at a much younger age. However, it kept meAfter reading the various reviews I didn't expect to enjoy this film as much as I did. I thought the cinematography, story line, and acting by done. The story line was not the story line I knew at a much younger age. However, it kept me involved in the film. The performances by Sophia Lissis,Alice Krige and Jessica De Gouw were very good ! My only criticism of the film is that the ending was a bit weak for my taste. Otherwise, I would recommend seeing this film ! TL Expand
laranamiraFeb 19, 2020
Recommended site for watching movies and TV series online with HD 2020 subtitles

Watch in HD: MOVIESHD ONLINE.ORG