Summit Entertainment | Release Date: November 4, 2016
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 703 Ratings
Watch Now
AlmostCriticSep 5, 2017
Hacksaw Ridge an incredible true-life story that does a great disservice to the hero it was supposed to honor. The film is essentially 20 minutes of erratic gore sandwiched between a mediocre love story. The dialogue is laughingly contrivedHacksaw Ridge an incredible true-life story that does a great disservice to the hero it was supposed to honor. The film is essentially 20 minutes of erratic gore sandwiched between a mediocre love story. The dialogue is laughingly contrived to the point that it is distracting. Garfield’s goofy Virginia accent and forced emotions left me scratching my head as to how he could possibly have been nominated for Best Actor. A few bad cuts and continuity errors only add to unfathomable fact that this film is nominated for an academy award.

I cannot believe it's so highly praised. The performances wouldn't be out of place in Lifetime movie. The cinematography and effects were great but you can't hide a bad movie behind sqips and pyrotechnics.
mo0nbuggy1Jan 25, 2017
Best comedy of 2016.
Seriously, we laughed our butts off through a good portion of this movie. 3 stars for making us giggle like girls when he slapped and kicked the grenades away.
hootisMar 7, 2017
Poorly made US military propaganda film. You would think after the 500th one people would get tired. But I guess I'm out of touch, to most people this is a welcome break from the 15 super hero movies they've seen this month.
Benkoko11Feb 27, 2017
I wish I had conscientiously objected to seeing Hacksaw Ridge. What I got was a lesson in heavy-handed righteousness followed by a seemingly never-ending sequence of limb-flying, gut-splattering violence. Masochists shouldn't make films aboutI wish I had conscientiously objected to seeing Hacksaw Ridge. What I got was a lesson in heavy-handed righteousness followed by a seemingly never-ending sequence of limb-flying, gut-splattering violence. Masochists shouldn't make films about pacifism. Expand
WaltexNov 21, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An important movie, solidly told and directed

Yes, there are directing gaps (for example why are the boys' clothes so crisp and clean when they have been playing in the forest at the start of the film). I mostly loved Mel's direction of his other films ... he surprised me in those films ... he made creative decisions that were awesome and innovative, clever ... however few surprises in this one. Directing is good, but there are gaps ... the directing is somewhat "colouring in by the numbers" but he does a good job and one feels emotional involvement throughout the film.

I would actually say the war scenes were more genuine and better than Saving Private Ryan ... well done Mel! A mixed patch of acting performances ... but somehow the story is so powerful that it rises above all of these inconsistencies or deficiencies ... What an amazingly brave man ... it shows us that you can't judge a book by its cover. I'm also glad that he rescued some Japanese soldiers too. It made me think that maybe I could aim to do something significant and important with my life too, God willing
AxeTNov 14, 2016
Rating = 6 (Metacritic incompetence)... Very high expectations from word of mouth just didn't live up to this as I watched it. It's a bit too melodramatic for my taste which is slightly surprising coming from Gibson. It is a great trueRating = 6 (Metacritic incompetence)... Very high expectations from word of mouth just didn't live up to this as I watched it. It's a bit too melodramatic for my taste which is slightly surprising coming from Gibson. It is a great true story, and the film is well made for sure and refreshingly conventional in its way. It starts off slow which is not necessarily a problem, but once at war the battles are so gruesomely endless my attention was strained.

War movies have never been a favorite genre of mine and I rarely love them. Love and War are the two most powerful experiences in life, so they fundamentally always draw intense interest.

Here's some of the best I've seen.

"Star Wars" (fantasy but still war)
"Force Ten from Navarone" (immensely under-rated plot driven/messageless mission story with great cast and even better than the classic original)
"The Deer Hunter"
"Apocalypse Now" (over-rated as supreme best, still a masterpiece yeah)
"The Final Countdown" (great sci-fi set at war)
"Das Boot"
"Platoon"
"Full Metal Jacket" (flawed but Kubrick)
"Born on the Fourth of July"
"Jacob's Ladder" (not really a war movie and exactly its trippy brilliance)
"Saving Private Ryan" (flawed but worthy)
"The Thin Red Line" (flawed by worthy)
"Three Kings" (surprisingly original)
"The Patriot" (strong turned formula)
"The Pianist" (not so much war, but backdrop)
"Inglorious Basterds" (fantasy but genius)
GiakiMay 24, 2017
Come on, this film is a giant ****
Too much exaggerated with that save one man after another thing.
Zero realist or barely believable, this film ruined everthing that was truth about the real story.