Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) | Release Date: February 9, 2001
Watch Now
Watch Now
Buy on
FranzHcriticMay 29, 2016
I always thought the Hannibal Lecter films were a bit exaggerated. But this film lacks any of the suspense of 'Silence' (which I also thought was overplayed) and is unnecessarily gruesome. The death scenes were violent purely for the sake ofI always thought the Hannibal Lecter films were a bit exaggerated. But this film lacks any of the suspense of 'Silence' (which I also thought was overplayed) and is unnecessarily gruesome. The death scenes were violent purely for the sake of it, and the acting was bordering on hammy. I can't say much of this film. This is still an overrated film, even thought it already gave others mixed signals. Expand
Dragonfly44Nov 28, 2017
This movie was both bad and boring. Silence of the Lambs was amazing, so I was clearly in the wrong expecting this to be too. Jodie Foster dodged a huge bullet.

Rating- 26%
JonDocMay 15, 2020
Ponderous, slow moving sequel lacking the wit of the original. A shame given the caliber of writer and director. Of the five Hannibal films, this one clearly had the biggest budget and most polished production values, but it’s all style overPonderous, slow moving sequel lacking the wit of the original. A shame given the caliber of writer and director. Of the five Hannibal films, this one clearly had the biggest budget and most polished production values, but it’s all style over substance. Ridley Scott spends too much time concentrating on the look of a shot and not enough on the actual story. The first two thirds of the film looks like a travelogue with beautiful photography but without any engaging narrative. The story gets going near the end but by then it’s too late and the final ‘scary’ scene with Ray Liotta is just plain ridiculous!
During lockdown I rewatched all the movies in the series again and for my money the best is Red Dragon, even better than Lambs.