Universal Pictures | Release Date: October 13, 2017
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 306 Ratings
Watch Now
TVJerryOct 18, 2017
This has been promoted as a combo of Groundhog Day and Scream, but I only saw one of those reflected in this average thriller. A college coed wakes up on her birthday only to be murdered by a baby-faced stalker. Each time she dies, she wakesThis has been promoted as a combo of Groundhog Day and Scream, but I only saw one of those reflected in this average thriller. A college coed wakes up on her birthday only to be murdered by a baby-faced stalker. Each time she dies, she wakes up back in the same dorm room and the only way to stop the cycle is to identify the killer. It's adequately made, but the suspense sequences aren't especially original or even mildly frightening. The satirical self-aware comic insights (a la Scream) never materialize. It's slightly fun to watch her solve the puzzle, but there's little about this film that makes it special. Expand
RoutineViewingOct 19, 2017
In Happy Death Day, a college student relives the day of her murder with both its unexceptional details and terrifying end until she discovers her killer's identity. So, basically, Groundhog Day meets generic teen thriller, heavy on theIn Happy Death Day, a college student relives the day of her murder with both its unexceptional details and terrifying end until she discovers her killer's identity. So, basically, Groundhog Day meets generic teen thriller, heavy on the generic teen thriller.

Tree Gelbman* (Jessica Rothe), our lead heroine, is classic movie sorority girl. All she cares about is how she looks and how guys think she looks. The film follows Tree on her birthday and quickly establishes that she’s inconsiderate to everyone in her life that doesn’t fall into those categories. This includes her roommate, other students on campus, and even her own father. Tree’s birthday ends with her own murder at the hands of a masked killer. She then wakes up to find that she has started the day over and must continuing dying until unmasking and stopping her killer. Along the way she may just learn to… you guessed it… become a better person.

*Yes, her name is Tree. No, it’s not explained.

As Tree tries to solve her own murder, she is helped by a fellow student named Carter. It’s Carter’s bed that Tree wakes up in every morning, but they had only just met the night before. Carter is the awkward, nice guy that Tree would never usually go for. Can you see where this is headed? The usual popular girl/nerdy guy trope gets complicated here due to the fact that the defining feature of Carter that clearly and visibly wins Tree over is that he did not take advantage of her when she was drunk. This is her baseline for a nice guy. The revelation that Carter didn’t sleep with Tree is played for swoons. It comes off as problematic.

Where Happy Death Day tries to put itself above other generic slashers before it is its sense of fun. When head sorority girl Danielle asks a sister, “What even is breakfast, Becky?” I was relieved to realize this wasn’t a film taking itself too seriously. When Danielle later explains to Tree that deja vu actually just means someone is thinking about you while masterbating, I realized I would much rather watch a movie about Danielle. Hell, I’d watch that every week on tv. Awful sorority girls saying awful things while people are being viciously slaughtered all around them? Sounds like a show Ryan Murphy would make. They could even call it “Scream Queens”. I’m sure it would be a huge success.

Ultimately, Happy Death Day is a movie that works, if only in the slightest, in spite of its many flaws. It’s got a fairly generic plot told in a fairly safe way. The many deaths of Tree aren’t especially creative. She is stabbed under a bridge, she is stabbed in her room, she is stabbed in some guy’s room. It’s the comedic bits, as hit-or-miss as they are, that hold this film together. Is it a good movie? No. Is it an entertaining movie? Sometimes.
DirigiblePulpDec 1, 2017
Groundhog Day as a slasher flick is such a ripe premise that I'm surprised it took this long to make a film of it. We get to watch the main character get butchered a whole bunch of times in a bunch of different ways by a masked psycho allGroundhog Day as a slasher flick is such a ripe premise that I'm surprised it took this long to make a film of it. We get to watch the main character get butchered a whole bunch of times in a bunch of different ways by a masked psycho all while trying to solve the mystery of whom is doing it. It's perfect really. The film definitely has its fun with this too, and has a game performance from the lead actress Jessica Rothe.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a neutered affair, what with the PG-13 rating and fairly rote storytelling mechanics. Death scenes are less Final Destination levels of fun - where the surprise is how she will die while trying to avoid death - and more stalk and slash and quick cut away from any good gore. The plot has a twist, and it's not bad, but there were a lot of areas where the film could have become even twistier. It also could have laid off the moralizing about becoming a better woman stuff a bit - this is slasher Groundhog Day, not actually the real thing. We already have that.
Compi24Oct 17, 2017
The "Groundhog Day"/"Edge Of Tomorrow" formula gets put to the test once again in "Happy Death Day," a slasher comedy that plays out pretty much exactly as you'd expect (thanks in no small part to that formula mentioned above). And with aThe "Groundhog Day"/"Edge Of Tomorrow" formula gets put to the test once again in "Happy Death Day," a slasher comedy that plays out pretty much exactly as you'd expect (thanks in no small part to that formula mentioned above). And with a predictable-as-all-hell third act twist capstoning this one, you'd think I wouldn't enjoy it. And yet, I - for the most part - did. Sure, the charming lead performance helps, but I think the x-factor here is just the simple fact that this is yet another competently made horror movie that made its way past my eyes without making me want to void one of my orifices. Yep. Definitely helped. Expand
PipeCDec 3, 2017
"Scary Movie", "Scream" and Groundhog Day adopt a wicked baby mask

"Scary Movie", "Scream" and Groundhog Day adopt a wicked baby mask

On this base idea is set up Blumhouse Productions' latest big hit, Jason Blum's production company has been crowned as the only studio to make a huge profit at the box office with low-budget medium-high quality films. Being its 13th flick with a respectable worldwide grossing, "Happy Death Day" must be considered, besides an extra proof of Blumhouse vigor and vitality, as a breath of fresh air for commercial slasher cinema, one to which, little to little, they bury it the stake further inside.

The main disadvantage with the script doesn't lie in the combination of genres, otherwise, that's one of the most remarkable features of the film, the drawback is the way to tie up some loose ends, because, in fact, they are closed to so much pressure that coherence threads are abruptly detached. As a thriller, mystery whodunit, the interest of audience will be placed in the resolution of the homicide, consequently, if you want to carry the genre proudly, should manipulate the perceptions of each spectator in order to cast doubt before the more insignificant detail, here, although interesting bets are proposed in the course of the third act, the truth about who's behind the creepy mask is not a great thing at all. Fortunately, the film keeps enough vigor, dynamic and strength in montage sets, performances and narrative circumstances that make it more than energetic, fascinating and entertaining the rebirth of our protagonist anti-heroine.

As writer sets on the one side of the triumphant Blumhouse balance equation, on the other side, the director acts as a counterbalance. Although Christopher Landon's name seems Lilliputian compared with film-savvies as James Wan or M. Night Shyamalan, his most recent pic would be the first great milestone in his ascending career, even though he has a long, long way to enroll in the major leagues. Landon provides newness and daring for a film that could easily have fallen into muddy plots of aimless comedy, dysfunctional horror or soporific thriller; here, the filmmaker reveals his contemporary thinking by transmitting young-focused company MTV's "Teen Mom" on Tree's TV instead of any Hitchcock's or Coppola's classics; here, Landon places a female Bill Murray imprisoned in a college campus; drastic swaps that benefit the feel-good that radiates the ending of the film. Evaluating the work of the director through the final result, one could say that the man behind "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse" has just gained a great improvement in terms of filmmaking and control is concerned, Every filmmaker who demonstrates a professional advancement deserves a heated ovation, however, taking into consideration Landon's labor, half of the continent must stand up and applaud him, congratulations, a future colleague.

Uni and Blumhouse manage to deliver an entertaining contemporary story with honors, they can produce a five-star action thriller, abduction suspense one or murder-solving one, simply, shows off the aces up its sleeve and leap them, without clemency, on the face of the spectator. The particular montage, the nice pictures and the excellent score team up in a moderately phenomenal way, although, visually, they are restricted by the number of scenarios shown in the first twenty minutes, however, the lack of possibilities encourages productivity and originality that end up in magnificent films, in this case, it's testified through interesting camera movements, amazing angles, and very old-school approaches; the saying: creativity is the only weapon emerging from low-budget and narrative constraints is very true. The soundtrack deserves special mention, it seems to mock 80's horror flick, its stridency and apparent jocularity are mixed with the same functionality as the images, its melodies recall "Scream", and even, there are explicit scenes which lead to our memory, without any remedy, to Wes Craven's film; great job Bear McCreary, no doubt, the best aspect of the film.

Christopher Landon's "Happy Death Day" positions itself on the throne of the horror and youthful-humored satire of the year, not merely because of its picturesque premise, but because of the appropriate levels of execution and narrative approach it presents. Although never taking itself too seriously, it serves as a fortifying incentive for the association between studios, verifying that they are on the right way, a path brimming with originality and magnetism that would not be defaced by low-budgets. Sadly, the film is left behind compared to its contenders, experimenting a sense of emptiness at the end of the showtime, shows that, at least narratively, has been a partially lost opportunity. Undoubtedly, Landon's film had the perfect tools to become huge, but with the result, it only got to be big. Let us blow out our candle of desires and we pray together for longevity and vitality of this alliance.
Rebecca31Oct 22, 2017
A college student must relive the same day over and over. On the plus side it's her Birthday but on the not so plus side she keeps getting murdered by some guy in a baby face mask. It's ludicrous but if you want a little cinematicA college student must relive the same day over and over. On the plus side it's her Birthday but on the not so plus side she keeps getting murdered by some guy in a baby face mask. It's ludicrous but if you want a little cinematic entertainment this weekend then here's your choice because it's definitely one of the better bad movies out right now. A light-hearted slasher movie just in time for Halloween. And if you still need more encouragement they've put Get Out, The Purge and The Visit on the poster for good measure.

It ticks nearly all the boxes and delivers what it promises, unlike a certain other movie I saw this weekend. That's right I'm looking at you Geostorm. You've got the horror slasher movie aspect mixed with a fair amount of comedy. Unfortunately a lot of this movie has been spoiled by its own trailer which is disappointing. So if you've managed to avoid the trailer and intend on seeing Happy Death Day keep it that way. The acting isn't up to much and I don't think I recognised a single person in this. It also could have done without the whole "well I'm reliving the same day over and over so I'm gonna re-evaluate my whole life and become a better person" message. The biggest problem is it falls apart in the last act but what more can you expect really. A lot of horror movies suffer in the third act and Happy Death Day just descended into a mess. What started with a simplistic idea well executed changed and I found myself getting bored and wishing for the end credits to appear. Recommended popcorn movie if you’ve nothing better to do.
JLuis_001Oct 24, 2017
We already know the style, we know its foundations, its cliches and its tricks, Happy Death Day is a slasher teen film in every sense and in a genre so degraded, sometimes it's incredible to be functional, not to say innovative.

Happy Death

Happy Death Day is not the exception at any time, especially because it is focused on entertaining simplistic audiences, I'm sorry but it's true, the film falls heavily on its narrative system and is evident because it becomes an exercise of repetition, it's true it changes the scenarios but everything is so mechanized that there is really no suspense or surprise, it is almost as if we are watching the protagonist in a video game unable to advance a level.

Jessica Rothe, the protagonist is nice, that helps a lot, a more annoying character would have affected the overall performance of the film.
She is expressive and emotive trying to discover her killer, the general point that becomes the best reason to finish this movie, after all as I said the sequences lack suspense so what becomes more important and interesting is to discover the mistery.

Happy Death Day is in every sense a repetition with variations, it does not build anything new but it's sufficiently entertaining and functional to excel over many other failures of the genre and above all it will be very pleasing for its intended audience. The movie delivers good accounts but I wasn't really satisfied.
mh2721Oct 13, 2017
This is a a 4-5/10 movie. Nothing special. It's not Groundhog Day meets Scream, it's more like Groundhog Day meets Mean Girls with a killer. Wait for amazon/Netflix or dvd/bluray.
EpicLadySpongeOct 13, 2017
What do you get when during development of this movie, you thought of someone's birthday and combining it with traditional horror film equipment? You get Happy Death Day. Sure it's not worth seeing outside Halloween due to a failed attempt toWhat do you get when during development of this movie, you thought of someone's birthday and combining it with traditional horror film equipment? You get Happy Death Day. Sure it's not worth seeing outside Halloween due to a failed attempt to make this film memorable when October is over, but it does rely itself on a few things it hardly offers when the film advances to the end. Expand
MarcDoyleOct 13, 2017
One of the bummers of this movie is that the "It's your birthday" song from the trailer is not in the movie at all. The birthday ringtone from her father is some other stupid tune. And the film is not nearly as tightly constructed asOne of the bummers of this movie is that the "It's your birthday" song from the trailer is not in the movie at all. The birthday ringtone from her father is some other stupid tune. And the film is not nearly as tightly constructed as Groundhog Day. I will say, however, that the lead actress is excellent. She can carry the movie. Expand
badgerryan19Oct 23, 2017
Surprisingly good. Even though it is a horror Groundhog Day like Groundhog Day it takes a lot of the crazy scenarios and make comedy out of it, and they actually make a reference to it too, which was great. The acting overall is really goodSurprisingly good. Even though it is a horror Groundhog Day like Groundhog Day it takes a lot of the crazy scenarios and make comedy out of it, and they actually make a reference to it too, which was great. The acting overall is really good and the movie is actually really enjoyable. Yes there are the horror trope cliches and that’s fine, but with so many bad horror films now this year has given it a fresh breath of air into the genre. Expand
Misterjerry1Oct 15, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, I must state that I was shocked by the number of children that attended this movie. It made me feel like I was in the wrong theater.

I found this movie to be very disappointing, especially the twist ending. How does 1 student kick another out of a window with no consequences? Completely unrealistic! I was also surprised with the comedic content in the movie. If you're going to this movie for just the horror aspect you're going to be disappointed as well
TheVoidsCellarOct 23, 2017
Slasher, Thriller, Suspense all this and more in the new movie "Happy Death Day" from the producer of "Get out" and "The Purge" we get this groundhog day movie with a twist of a slasher flick. The movie follows Theresa "Tree" for short, aSlasher, Thriller, Suspense all this and more in the new movie "Happy Death Day" from the producer of "Get out" and "The Purge" we get this groundhog day movie with a twist of a slasher flick. The movie follows Theresa "Tree" for short, a collage student in a **** fraternity, waking up after a night of partying she heads home and lives out her day like normal, ignoring people and acting like a rude stuck up rich kid. later that night she is tracked down and killed by a baby mask wearing, knife welding stranger. then wakes up and relives the day over and over, all ending with her dying. personally i like this concept, so many ways you can take it, supernatural twist. freak rift in space and time. however this movie takes no side and never reveals why our main character is in this loop. However after some loops she decides to tell the guy she keeps waking up with. he suggests that she needs to find the killer and that will stop the loop. which leads to a funny montage of her going to find people on a "suspect list" then having her die is funny ways. this comedy kinda works, me and my partner were laughing at some of these scenes pretty much because they were so weirdly silly in a dark humour kind of way then having her wake up frustrated with how many times she dies. After figuring out the killer and stopping them, Tree finally celebrates her birthday with the good guy "Carter" finishing up with a happy ending.

ACTING
really good actually, i didn't know any of the people in this movie, so assumed they would not be that good, and i think i was wrong i really liked the main character "Tree" played by Jessica Rothe i think she carried this movie being funny sad and stupidly once she starts to go a little insane by being stuck in the loop. the male love interest and good guy in this movie is "Carter" played by Israel Broussard, seeing as he is outside the loop most of his lines in the first act are repeated, however after he starts to believe Tree he has some good acting, being the good guy that helps solve this murder. however nothing amazing here kind of just more then i expected.

DIALOG
Again not amazing, never did they have interesting conversations, about the scenes, not to mention they didn't explore the killer at all, instead of asking, "How does this person know were you will be no matter what?" they just gloss over it and ppast it up for a **** cliche at the end. nothing memorable here, some funny lines that will get a laugh but nothing to progress the story.

OVERALL
I enjoyed this movie as a slasher but not overall, i enjoyed the premise and the slasher parts but not all of it, this movie had promise to be a very interesting movie about something supernatural, however chose to stick to a more slasher type film that asks the question "if you were in a slasher movie what would you do?" because Tree knows she will die at the end of the day she can formulate plans to stop it. making the movie aware of the slasher tropes right down to Tree being a blonde victim. which changes by the end.
FedorkoNov 14, 2017
I was thoroughly entertained by this movie. I'm just a sucker for movies that play with the idea of time. If you like the movie Groundhog Day or Live, Die, Repeat with Tom Cruise, you'll definitely like this movie. The script was surprisinglyI was thoroughly entertained by this movie. I'm just a sucker for movies that play with the idea of time. If you like the movie Groundhog Day or Live, Die, Repeat with Tom Cruise, you'll definitely like this movie. The script was surprisingly strong; it was a shame the director didn't do more with it. The supporting actors were not very good, though. I'd check it out if you want a light movie and don't care about zoning out for a bit. Entertaining, but not a good movie. Expand
0326990qdiun123May 16, 2018
반전은 반전이라고 하기 애매하정도로 그냥 비웃음만 나온다... 스토리상 허점이 너무 많고 기억에 남는게 하나도 없다.. 무서운 장면이라도 잇어야 되는데 코믹한 장면들이 섞여 긴장감도 줄어드는..반전은 반전이라고 하기 애매하정도로 그냥 비웃음만 나온다... 스토리상 허점이 너무 많고 기억에 남는게 하나도 없다.. 무서운 장면이라도 잇어야 되는데 코믹한 장면들이 섞여 긴장감도 줄어드는..
wishmasterNov 7, 2017
I dont know why this movie was promote like a terror movie, only scare 2 times in the entire movie, the rest was only laught. The thirth part of the movie was really really bad.
imthenoobNov 23, 2017
It was interesting to see a Groundhog's Day style plot in the horror genre and I really do like the cast but after a while, It just got way too repetitive. It stopped being fun and it started being more like "OK, How much time do I haveIt was interesting to see a Groundhog's Day style plot in the horror genre and I really do like the cast but after a while, It just got way too repetitive. It stopped being fun and it started being more like "OK, How much time do I have left?". It's not bad but I wish it wasn't so freaking repetitive. Expand
BrianMcCriticJan 17, 2018
A film that is kind of a mixed bag, but there's enough to appreciate here to recommend it. This type film has been done a few different times and you really don't get many new ideas, but they follow the formula well. B
Karmazyn83Feb 22, 2019
What can I say about this movie. It was lacking mild gore I Would expect from a slasher movie. The idea was good and execution was ok, thats what probably what kept me watching this movie. It was nicely put together average slasher movie. ItWhat can I say about this movie. It was lacking mild gore I Would expect from a slasher movie. The idea was good and execution was ok, thats what probably what kept me watching this movie. It was nicely put together average slasher movie. It could have been great but due to the odd design choices and comedy vibes I was getting from the movie the horror and suspense dissapeared somewhere along the way. You can watch it but dont expect the next best thing. Expand
marcmyworksJan 16, 2018
Scream meets Groundhog Day. Though a fairly straight-forward and predictable plot, Happy Death Day does start out strong but then turns into a cliché of horror movie tropes, as well teen movie montages. Overall I loved the cast and ideas, butScream meets Groundhog Day. Though a fairly straight-forward and predictable plot, Happy Death Day does start out strong but then turns into a cliché of horror movie tropes, as well teen movie montages. Overall I loved the cast and ideas, but it could have been fleshed out a little bit better. Expand
temptershellOct 28, 2017
A sleazy and very funny thriller that tried to earn the nickname of modern horror but with great prospects became another slasher with an interesting twist. Only few charismatic figures, small dose of action, and the final showdown is veryA sleazy and very funny thriller that tried to earn the nickname of modern horror but with great prospects became another slasher with an interesting twist. Only few charismatic figures, small dose of action, and the final showdown is very disappointing. Expand
ozymandias79Jan 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So girls can punch through car windows now. Most dudes wouldn't be able to do that. The killer also takes a beating or two and gets right back up again. The unreal premise extended to physical traits and made this movie unrealistically bad. Expand
vitortfvDec 16, 2020
The theme is not innovative, but it is a very light film to watch the afternoon.
Tony1984Oct 29, 2018
A middle of the road Groundhog Day/Scream combo knockoff. Innocuous and inoffensive. Not very original but funny in parts, more smiles as opposed to laughs. The lead actress is competent. The **** sorority girls are good. The dufus boyfriendA middle of the road Groundhog Day/Scream combo knockoff. Innocuous and inoffensive. Not very original but funny in parts, more smiles as opposed to laughs. The lead actress is competent. The **** sorority girls are good. The dufus boyfriend is bad. Worth a watch on TV. Expand
AproxxAug 19, 2018
This is what happens when you make a movie that by EVERY REASON should be a +17 or hard R even so you can have different graphic deaths...but you tweak everything so it can be a +13 movie.

Its not smart enough to be good without the

Its not smart enough to be good without the senseless violence.

Its not as violent as it should be so the amount of time dedicated to set up the deaths arent complete.
BITESCREENJan 23, 2018
Wie der kolumbianische Horrorfilm Wake up and die klaut sich auch Happy Deathday die Endlosschleife von Und täglich grüßt das Murmeltier und lässt jede Runde tödlich enden: Die hübsche Tree erwacht voll verkatert beim One-Night-Stand Carter,Wie der kolumbianische Horrorfilm Wake up and die klaut sich auch Happy Deathday die Endlosschleife von Und täglich grüßt das Murmeltier und lässt jede Runde tödlich enden: Die hübsche Tree erwacht voll verkatert beim One-Night-Stand Carter, schafft es irgendwie durch den Tag – aber nie durch die Nacht. Immer und immer wieder verreckt der blonde Unsympath an der Klinge eines babygesichtigen Psychokillers, vor der Kühlerhaube eines Autos oder am Fuß eines hohen Gebäudes. Das ist insgesamt vor allem ziemlich witzig und unterhaltsam, in puncto Dialoge und Charakterzeichnung aber hochgradig peinlich. Außerdem auffällig und vor allem für Horrorfans blöd: In Happy Deathday fließt kein Tropfen Blut – was vielleicht den enormen Erfolg an der US-Kinokasse erklärt. Der PG-13-Film ist dort nämlich erfolgreicher als Blade Runner 2049. Traurig! Expand
panslabyrinthOct 28, 2017
It truly is harmless entertainment with somewhat good messages to offer. Happy Death Day is surprisingly enjoyable, featuring a winning performance from Jessica Rothe, despite being a very disposable movie.
B_ColeslawNov 12, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie would be good if it didn't have so many "mistakes", I mean, in the movie happen a lot of things that doesn't had sensce, like the music box that magically sounds without having to be turned on, or the fact that there were 2 guys with the same clothes that the killer had (and they had the mask too, what a coincidence), etc.
Anyway, without counting those mistakes (and more), I enjoyed the movie.
JokohamaFeb 14, 2019
Was an okay thriller at first. Then it became a boring comedy action movie.
EgeBerkDec 13, 2018
Happy death day is a movie that you can enjoy in your leisure time.

Happy death day is a movie that you can enjoy in your leisure time.

it wasn't very nice but it was a normal movie, obviously thought it was a low-budget amateur film at first so I just had a nice time, but in the following minutes I enjoyed a little more and thought it wasn't really bad, it took a bit of fun.
In fact, I'll tell you that the end really surprised the person in the last scene of the killer when I learned that it was not an amateur film.
ZJHFeb 10, 2019
Like Groundhog Day but this movie is more comedy.I think is not a real terror movie.This is movie rated PG-13.
ZzjimbozZSep 2, 2020
It was ok
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!