Lionsgate | Release Date: April 12, 2019
5.2
Mixed or average reviews based on 211 Ratings
Watch Now
blassterApr 12, 2019
Hellboy starts pretty well in the first half, good introduction of the villain, then hellboy and the BPRD, starting with good action and fighting scenes, but as the plot develops the movie begins to decline a lot, even the visual effects areHellboy starts pretty well in the first half, good introduction of the villain, then hellboy and the BPRD, starting with good action and fighting scenes, but as the plot develops the movie begins to decline a lot, even the visual effects are not so different from its predecessor of more than 10 years ago. Although the addition of interesting new characters that we did not see before the completely different approach to hellboy's paternal character lacks charisma and there seems to be no chemistry between hellboy and him.There's a lot of gore scenes that looks very cool but all of them feels very rushed without giving it the time to build up.
The interpretation of David Harbor is very convincing, even his makeup and prosthetics do not look bad at all, he did a very good job, probably the script and the direction in this new take are the problem. In the end it only becomes entertaining and fun moments, but without a doubt the vision of Guillermo del Toro was much more accurate to the characters and folklore that the comics transmitted.
BrianMcCriticApr 13, 2019
Only Hollywood could take Del Toro's vision scrap it then remake it as a mixture of Underworld and Van Helsing. David Harbour tries to save this but nothing really can. Overall a very low 4 a D+.
JamesdayzApr 18, 2019
I expected things from this movie... I liked David Harbour as Hellboy I did, he added his own style into the mix as did Ron Perlman but wow this story was all over the place man and everyone besides Harbour made me want this movie to just goI expected things from this movie... I liked David Harbour as Hellboy I did, he added his own style into the mix as did Ron Perlman but wow this story was all over the place man and everyone besides Harbour made me want this movie to just go straight to DVD seriously... I thought Mila was gonna do great but this performance was Joan of Arc on Prozac, man... The MONSTERS LOOKED INSANE I can't deny that and that made me even more flustered. All this lore for these B-villains and then you see those huge monsters and no context to them they're just there they come out of the ground thats it. I dont know I felt they treated the audience like a bunch of 12 year olds with dubstep music to raise their dopamine levels and hope the movie does good... In summary would've wanted it to just go straight to DVD... Expand
lcamoviereviewsApr 19, 2019
Another year, another reboot. This time, it’s the red deviled superhero, Hellboy, getting the let’s try and do it over again approach. I have to start off by saying I was not happy at all when I found out that a reboot was coming instead ofAnother year, another reboot. This time, it’s the red deviled superhero, Hellboy, getting the let’s try and do it over again approach. I have to start off by saying I was not happy at all when I found out that a reboot was coming instead of a third and most likely final installment of Del Toro & Ron Perlman’s series. I very much enjoyed what Del Toro did with both films and Perlman’s Hellboy performance was just near perfect. It deserved a bookend film to tie everything up and create a solid trilogy. So, with that being said, I attempted to walk into this film with an open mind and not judge it from it’s previous films. I was successful at times but couldn’t help but think about what was done before when watching this reboot. There are moments in the film that work well and some not so much. We are treated to a dark but very quick and morbid opening with Ian McShane’s Professor Broom, taking the role over from the late John Hurt. McShane is a great actor but he is no John Hurt playing this role. Hurt’s interpretation was far better I think and enjoyed his much better. Broom talks about the origins of the Blood Queen (Milla Jovovich) and how King Arthur used excalibur to chop her to pieces and hide all of her body parts across the world in treasure chest containers. The opening works well enough but McShane just seems like he is rushing through dialogue during this which I found a little irritating. This is followed by Hellboy trying to recover a former partner who has been turned into a vampire. As the movie petals along, we are lead to explanations of the Blood Queen’s motivations to different set pieces with tons of blood and gore. I was surprised by how much gore is shown throughout this film. It almost seemed a tad bit overboard especially in the final act when numerous creatures are just tearing through civilians and doing it in very morbid and disturbing ways. The humor seems to fall flat a lot at times and only found myself chuckling at some things Hellboy said. This is where the writing in Del Toro’s begins to show why it was superior. It just seems like this film was made for more of a B movie audience as some of dialogue is cheesy and over the top. I didn’t have any problem with the VFX like a lot of other critics seemed too. There were only moments where some things that didn’t look finished but don’t think they were any bad or worse then Del Toro’s with the exception of he used a lot more creature works then this film does. It just solely depends on VFX for the creatures instead of costume and design. Harbour is likable playing the part and think he holds up well to Perlman. Jovovich is ok here with sort of a campy performance but still does the job. All in all, the film has some moments that work but the problem here is you can’t help watching this and thinking we deserved a final film by Del Toro before we got something like this. Del Toro’s films were just made so much better and when you walk out of this film, it just seems like a cheaper and weaker script than what we have seen before. Grade: C- Expand
ZumbacinoApr 19, 2019
Did we really need a reboot of Hellboy? Not as bad as people make it out to be, but not excellent either.
Carol_reviewsApr 22, 2019
From hell with love. Hell being the misguided creative room of the studio that thought bringing this to the masses. It's not all bad, some of it is even enjoyable. Who doesn't' like a barrage of swearwords and dismembering of limbs?
Compi24Apr 16, 2019
2019 hasn't seen a clearer example of a studio botch job than Neil Marshall's "Hellboy." From frame one, you're assaulted by this unflinchingly aggressive scent of a studio trying to differentiate its newest product from an older version.2019 hasn't seen a clearer example of a studio botch job than Neil Marshall's "Hellboy." From frame one, you're assaulted by this unflinchingly aggressive scent of a studio trying to differentiate its newest product from an older version. "Hey, NERDS! Remember those **** Guillermo Del Toro 'Hellboy' movies that you all HATED?! WELL, GET A LOAD OF THISSSSSSSS," the movie screams at you as you watch helplessly in your seat, now reduced to a fiery crater from the sheer volume of it all. Now, I was never a slobbering fan of the original adaptations, but I guess all it took was one woefully dull and haphazard attempt to top them for me to fully appreciate what Del Toro was trying to do with the character back in the mid-2000's. There was a nuanced caginess to the interpretation of the character, almost a profound sadness that resonated throughout the entire film, ultimately making for a feel that was unique, sardonic, and -- most importantly -- cool. Now, where there was once sadness, there is anger. Where there was once sardonicism, there is now camera-winking punniness. And where there was once nuance, there is now some poor bastard getting his skin ripped off his face. This is a loud, ugly, and poorly put together film, with just a few glimmers of competency: David Harbour's performance, some of the production design, and a couple of entertaining action scenes. Other than these things, though, it's gonna' be a no from me, dawg. Expand
Blakebrown1Apr 16, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A movie with strange pacing, disgustingly gory obnoxious scenes, trying too hard to be an action movie/comedy, and a plot that you need to understand by reading the comics, the Antagonist literally getting 7 minutes of screentime, makes you roll your eyes after watching this below mediocre excuse of a reboot and hop back to reading the Hellboy comics/Hellboy 1 & 2 Movie’s that were so great to begin with. Expand
tropicAcesApr 20, 2019
Maybe the 15% on Rotten Tomatoes and awful trailers made me go in with barrel-scraping expectations, but this was kinda trashy fun(?)
Creeper3455Apr 13, 2019
Let's just accept that the Producers of *insert movie name here* are the real baddies of the whole Production. First Avi Arad,now this… Also,whoo boy,the things you CAN'T do with an $80 Million Budget… Anywho…

Judging from how you read my

Judging from how you read my reviews,you already know the gig,right? Even if a movie is horrible or not Cinema-worthy,I still try to find good things about it,even if they're so small,it won’t matter anyway. Judging from the trailers,HellBoy looked super killer and meta. The style was great,the casting choices are phenomenal,and it tries hardcore not to be a cash-in of Guillermo Del Toro's movies. (Which,ironically,both versions have directors known for the Horror and/or Supernatural material)
And after such a long wait,and the abysmal last minute Production Hell article it had post-embargo,it’s safe to say that HellBoy is not really good. Fans of the Comic Book will really dig it,since there’s almost everything from the source material,but for others,it’s going to be “Just another No-Brainer”. Because that’s what this new version of HellBoy is: suddenly,Lionsgate (and the 19 producers credited on this thing. Ouch…) has taken one of the most underrated heroes in a long time,and turned it into another Action Movie that you will have fun at,and then you’ll instantly forget what you saw (kinda like Non-Stop or the Taken franchise,and...I think A Good Day To Die Hard?),and they thought they did their job well,so here’s a post credit tease for an unlikely Sequel. But I’ll be damned if I say that I had so much fun at it BECAUSE of that. So many problems come from the Story,but most of the Technical Aspect and the R-Rating save it from being a literal Dumpster Fire.
The effects are great,but it’s too bad the quality of it is garbage,but aside from that,we get a good score by Benjamin Wallfisch that,sometimes,tries to be this weird Junkie XL Clone at times,a traditional Sound Mix that’ll be fun to hear on 4K Blu-Ray (since Lionsgate makes every movie on 4K look God-like) and the Artistic Value on this thing…
You know I’m a sucker for overdone designs of Mythical Creatures and Monsters etc,and man oh MAN,does this have great use of Makeup and Set Design. I also love some of the direction choices they made. Being directed by Neil Marshall,who is a Horror veteran for movies like The Descent,it’s easy to pinpoint several scenes nd be like “This is too grimy!”,even if it’s a random 80’s Jumpscare. (That happens…)
The beginning of the movie is really good too. Introducing you to the nightmare that is the Screenplay,while also putting the R to good use,and its brutality.
The Action scenes are really brutal,maybe more so than the recent R-Rated movies we got. (Yes,that also includes Deadpool cutting someone’s head off and using it as a Soccer Ball)
SO MUCH CARNAGE HAPPENS IN THIS MOVIE.
David Harbour as HellBoy is great. He doesn’t beat Ron Pearlman’s portrayal by ANY means possible,but this one feels more reminiscent of Deadpool,only if he was Oh So Angry and Moody all the time,and he was in a HellBoy costume.
But that’s where it all starts to cease and fall apart…
All these good things are put in service of one of the most Exposition-heavy Screenplays I’ve ever seen,beating you over the head with so much exposition and talking,not a single line feels normal or safe from being a line that is filled with past memories,predictions of the future and stuff like that… It was so annoying,but it was luckily saved by the positives I’ve mentioned.
I hate the musical choices they went for the Action sequences. Why do I need a rock beat whenever someone throws punches when I can normally hear a traditional Orchestral action movie music when that happens on screen? Because kids are dumb,that’s why. For being a pretty bad story,it’s mostly used as a symphony of Action Sequences. Not a good one at that,since sometimes it’s ruined by stutter CG Effects.
And I was kinda pissed off at how they treated two characters. Thomas Haden Church,who randomly appears in here,having one hell of a blast,and another one that I can’t spoil in here. But again,this movie is mostly fun. If you want a Superhero no-brainer before Avengers Endgame shatters the whole world,this one’s for you. If you want a coherent story on the other hand,just watch “Shazam!” again….

P.S. Great post-credit sequence you had there,movie...
Mitya64Apr 28, 2019
Резкий монтаж, простой сюжет, слабая графика в некоторых местах, тупой слив антагониста, и еще почти постоянная что то происходит. Из плюсов только расчлененка, рекомендую только фанатам хелбояРезкий монтаж, простой сюжет, слабая графика в некоторых местах, тупой слив антагониста, и еще почти постоянная что то происходит. Из плюсов только расчлененка, рекомендую только фанатам хелбоя
Alan6May 5, 2019
This movie tries a lot to bring a new hellboy movie , but it isn’t enough . However the soundtrack is awesome and visual effects. Storytelling and character development could’ve been better .
TomtagMay 14, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, we had two Hellboy movies directed by Guillermo del Toro, one from 2004 and the Golden Army in 2008 starring Ron Perlman as Hellboy. Unfortunately, I didn't watch the whole two films, but some clips because I didn't have much time. The two movies were praised by critics a lot and the first one was rated 81%, the sequel was rated 86% on Rotten Tomatoes. And then, in 2019, Neil Marshall decided to have this reboot of Hellboy. They wanted to prove that Hellboy should be more modern with good effects and cinematography. But they had also gone too far.

Starring David Harbour was Hellboy, in this reboot, Hellboy had to battle so many monsters. Monsters here and there. There was so much action, these people wanted to make better cinematography so audiences would think that these battles are epic and unforgettable. The performances, I think they're okay but sometimes they sucked. Harbour's performance was really good, he's funny. He made most parts of the movie looked like a joke and kinda like a parody (because the cinematography's better).

I like the humor they added here. I did laugh, especially the elevator scene (up down up down). But Harbour wasn't as good as Perlman's. Then I like the make-up of Hellboy here more than the two previous films. Hellboy was more good-looking here (with long hair and small eyes). Those're the things I only liked about this reboot.

The special effects were really bad. They created monsters filmmakers could do in the 80s like the Gruagach or when Ben Daimio turned into a jaguar. They could've used an animal and add some extra parts. They could've done better in here. The editing was really not cool. This was like a few terrible movies wanted to have good cinematography but had bad CGI like Fant4stick (Congratulations Fant4stick on going way too far and got in the Razzies!). The cinematography was really awesome and if you watch this in IMAX, you would be entertained a lot. I watched the trailer in IMAX thanks to IMDb. I liked the lightning and the sky.

The fact that this movie was rated R was a BIG mistake. They did drop some F-Bombs everywhere, even when it's unneccessary to say the F word in a few lines. They also had some "Strong and Bloody Violence" (I could see these words in the trailer) like in "Deadpool" or "Logan", but they were needless. There were also people being ripped in half, people being stabbed bloodily by the giant monsters. Are they trying to prevent this movie from children? Huh? What? The movie proved that not all R-Rated movies're for adults and 18-year-olds. I'm younger than that and I could watch it with ease. I'm not afraid of anything. Are they trying to copy Sam Raimi's horror movies?

I really didn't know why this movie was based on the legend of King Arthur and the Excalibur sword. It was not suitable. If it is, I should've read the comics. I really didn't like the idea. They turned this whole action thingy into a fantasy like in "The Kid who Would Be King" was released earlier this year and I kinda liked it. Another problem was that they set too many characters in here. Too many actions scene from lots of characters fighting and they also moved from places to places (just like nomads).

This reboot was unneccessary to make. It was soulless but enjoyable. This was one of the movies that were really bad with black bars, good cinematography and sometimes bad CGI like "Fant4stick" or "Suicide Squad". If you find this Hellboy reboot entertaining, then I suggest you to waste 2 hours to watch it.

Ratings: 4.9/10