Lionsgate | Release Date: April 12, 2019
5.2
Mixed or average reviews based on 225 Ratings
Watch Now
Rebecca31Apr 23, 2019
To all you movie buffs out there who just love a movie so terrible it's good, well then buckle up for the best worst film of 2019 because I don't see anything else threatening that title this year. So leave your brain at home, get yourTo all you movie buffs out there who just love a movie so terrible it's good, well then buckle up for the best worst film of 2019 because I don't see anything else threatening that title this year. So leave your brain at home, get your massive bucket of popcorn and coke, sit back and enjoy this entertaining rubbish.

Open with a huge exposition piece narrated by Ian McShane, King Arthur uses Excalibur to destroy The Blood Queen, Nimue (Milla Jovovich) and scatter her body across the corners of the land so she doesn't come back and unleash a deadly virus that will destroy mankind. Fast forward to modern-day and Hellboy (David Harbour) is working with the B.P.R.D. to make sure Nimue isn't pieced back together by a hog like beast and take her revenge. Maybe early on the development of this adaptation of Hellboy they realised it was going to be terrible and decided to go full on with everything. The violence is ramped up to the max, the script is hilariously terrible. There's only one sequence that really worked for me, featuring a grotesque witch Baba Yaga, this scene shifts the tone of the whole film away from cartoonish comic book violence to dark and horrifying and then moments later Hellboy is back with the fairies and all other madness.

I'll give it one thing, I was never bored. But don't get me wrong, this Hellboy remake is awful, it could not be more of a mess but despite that I was still entertained. What it lacks in almost everything, it makes up for in pure violent enjoyment. I was part of the group that wanted one more Hellboy movie from Guillermo del Toro and Ron Perlman, just one more, finish the story and then reboot the whole thing. Well that didn't happen and the whole thing has been remade because that's all that ever happens now and the result is interesting to say the least. I feel Hellboy was always going to suffer without del Toro but with new director Neil Marshall who has made Dog Soldiers and The Descent I thought hey maybe this guy knows what he's doing. I'm not quite sure who to blame, him or the writer, it's someones fault so one of you has to take the blame. I've never read the Hellboy comics but from I've heard this film does them no justice. Which is a real shame because I love the idea of Hellboy, I loved the first adaptation by del Toro the second one not so much yet they're both better films than this remake. David Harbour is as good as Ron Perlman, I wasn't ready for the role to be recast but honestly they could not have gotten anyone better. Harbour does a great job, unfortunately the rest of the film doesn't live up to that standard. Recommended for those who want a movie so bad it's good, just make sure to go to it with low expectations and an open mind.
joeyabukiApr 12, 2019
Disaster movie. Performances are stupid and ridiculous. The OST is bad, the mix among them and the scenes are nonsense. CGI awful, it seems like a series B movie, one of those Sharknado from SyFy. The plot is terrible. The villain (the wildDisaster movie. Performances are stupid and ridiculous. The OST is bad, the mix among them and the scenes are nonsense. CGI awful, it seems like a series B movie, one of those Sharknado from SyFy. The plot is terrible. The villain (the wild pig) is retarded, really dumb, Milla (The other villain who is a 1500-year-old witch) does what she can with what she got. The comedy is BAD. This film is like a 24-episode TV series, EVERYTHING IS TOO COMPRESSED AND SUMMARIZED in a bad way in sketches of 3 minutes, the assembly and editing are really bad, super cut with huge scissors, in the movie there are so many plots that it doesn't get anywhere. Expand
JLuis_001Apr 23, 2019
I didn't want to compare it with what Del Toro did, but hell.

The elements of the film aren't bad. There are good things in there, but they **** it up big time. The script is a mess. The direction is cheap and simplistic to the core, while
I didn't want to compare it with what Del Toro did, but hell.

The script is a mess. The direction is cheap and simplistic to the core, while the narrative and rhythm are pretty bad. The special effects are very inconsistent and the film's length feels excessive and that's partly because the story never feels right.
David Harbour tried but he's not even the shadow of what Ron Perlman did and the rest of the cast is as disposable as it is useless.

A failure with capital letters and undoubtedly one of the biggest failures of 2019
QuintonKnightApr 28, 2019
Let me just say I have never seen the original two Hellboy films, so this review is coming from a person who doesn’t have the first two films to compare this to. To be honest, I was pumped for this film. But then the Rotten Tomatoes scoreLet me just say I have never seen the original two Hellboy films, so this review is coming from a person who doesn’t have the first two films to compare this to. To be honest, I was pumped for this film. But then the Rotten Tomatoes score came out...then I was less pumped, but still pumped. Then I saw the movie...well...

...It was better than I was expecting. But by all means this isn’t a good movie. In fact, it was one step away from being terrible. But it wasn’t quite atrain wreck, let me tell you why. This movie was really entertaining. On the entertainment scale, it’s super high. Probably late 70’s to early 80’s. The acting is pretty perfect. I don’t have a lot of complaints other then Milla Jovovich’s performance was bland and uninspired. Although it took some time for me to get used to David Harbour. Even after I was used to him I still was a little meh on his performance. And this could be a complaint or a positive. It depends on how you feel about it. But this film is messy. I mean messy. This is messier than Venom. And yeah, Venom was messy. But this film is messy in a fun way if you get what I mean. It’s not so messy you notice it one hundred percent. Now that’s pretty much where the positives end. I’m still gonna say the messiness is a minor complaint. But the real problem is the writing. Bad writing for both the characters and the film. They try to cram so much in here that the whole movie just gets lost. It doesn’t know what it wants to be. It’s cheesy, but it’s serious. It’s faithful to the comics, but some elements of the comics are just glossed over. (I haven’t read the comics, I watched YouTube videos. Expand
PhilipBlakeApr 19, 2019
Not particularly fan of the first established franchise, I've came open-minded to this new version and well... This is the perfect example of what is an unnecessary reboot! At least David Harbour is a pretty good Hellboy as Ron Perlman was.
RODIMUSApr 16, 2019
An excellent volunteer for the crush of the year. And Mila is the first in the queue for golden raspberry.
Nobilis1984May 1, 2019
What did you make of Hellboy here. Anyone who knows the first two parts with Perlman rubs your eyes first. The action is right and Hellboy is well portrayed. But you can forget the story and the humour is lousy. Why are you just doing this??
darkbloodshed13Apr 16, 2019
I grew up with the original Hellboy movies so I really got excited when I heard that they were rebooting I thought the film could have tons of potential. But sadly all my hopes were quickly crushed. This movie is terrible from beginning toI grew up with the original Hellboy movies so I really got excited when I heard that they were rebooting I thought the film could have tons of potential. But sadly all my hopes were quickly crushed. This movie is terrible from beginning to end. The story is a mess that takes to long to get going. the first half of the film is just a bunch of random people with no real personality trying to kill our lead, while the second half is your stereotypical story of villain trying to convince our hero to join them in there quest to rule/destroy the world. Now as bad that may sound the film still could have worked as long as it had good characters. Sadly the majority of the characters are uninteresting or contribute vary little to the story including the big bad of the story, The Blood Queen played by Mila Jovoich, who is supposed to be the all powerful evil witch but instead of intimidating she comes off as boring. But even that could have been fine as long as the action was fun and accelerating. Yet even that falls short. The fights are poorly done and CG is of a low quality. In conclusion if your looking for a fun action adventure with some supernatural elements than stick to the originals and stay far away from this hell spawn. Expand
Nessly1991Apr 19, 2019
I was 1 hour 16 min in this movie when i just culd not continue to watch anymore.Movie is pretty boring.Not sure why did they do remake of Hellboy considering first 2 movies are so much better then this one.
rj66nyApr 12, 2019
Big Fan of the original 2 movies with Ron Pearlman. This movie is horrible! Who do i sue to get the 2 hours back of my life wasted watching it. First time i kept debating if i should walk out!
Stemen-65Apr 16, 2019
Of the worst of the year. I prefer staying with Ron Perlman. You suck x100000000000
lilkillpappyApr 12, 2019
Hellboy in itself is not a well known comic book, the reason for its popularity in cinema is almost 100% because of Guillermo Del Toro's beloved creativity and style. Creating this movie without Guillermo Del Toro was just stupid. The fansHellboy in itself is not a well known comic book, the reason for its popularity in cinema is almost 100% because of Guillermo Del Toro's beloved creativity and style. Creating this movie without Guillermo Del Toro was just stupid. The fans want Hellboy 3 by Guillermo Del Toro, not this corporate claptrap. Stupid producers. Expand
imthenoobMay 27, 2019
As bad as critics say? Absolutely. The low budget results in some poor looking CG, which is primarily used during fight scenes, and some awful looking makeup (Seriously who approved of this design for the new Hellboy? You need to getAs bad as critics say? Absolutely. The low budget results in some poor looking CG, which is primarily used during fight scenes, and some awful looking makeup (Seriously who approved of this design for the new Hellboy? You need to get slapped). The acting is OK and it does feature a solid cast but that means little when they don't have the quality script to make use of them. The weak one-liners and needless cursing throughout make it seem like this movie was written by teenagers and not proper script writers. And let me make one thing clear: Ron Perlman is Hellboy. David Harbour doesn't even compare to the OG.

And as for why this film is such a commercial and critical flop? The studio decided to throw away Guillermo del Toro, who is simply untouchable as a director, in order to try to make a low-budget piece of garbage to capitalize on the want of a new Hellboy film. Yes, Fans wanted a new Hellboy film but one done by del Toro featuring Perlman, Not a reboot. Thankfully, The die-hard fans stepped up with a boycott and chose not to support this trash, resulting in it being a box office bomb. Maybe next time they'll listen to what fans want rather than trying to give them what they don't want.
MattyiceApr 12, 2019
Hellboy is absolutely hellish to get through. The only thing I can give credit to this movie for is decent performances. Everything else is an absolute trainwreck, from the peripherals like the awful CG and bad soundtrack to the essentialsHellboy is absolutely hellish to get through. The only thing I can give credit to this movie for is decent performances. Everything else is an absolute trainwreck, from the peripherals like the awful CG and bad soundtrack to the essentials like forgettable characters and a rushed putrid excuse of a plot. While I didn’t have very high expectations given the trailers Jovovich’s involvement (yeah, she’s generally in a lot of bad movies), and the fact one of the production studios for this film is bankrupt/defunct, I at least expected this movie to be enjoyable. In the end, however, this 2 hour slog fest may be one of the very worst of this year so far. Do not even get me started when comparing it to the Del Toro originals...just don’t see this movie for the sake of good blockbusters everywhere. Expand
moviestalkerJun 5, 2019
"Look How They Massacred My Boy" .. This quote sums up this mess of a movie quite well. It's nothing but a dumpster fire.
trevor1981May 16, 2019
Pure garbage is the only thing to say. How the hell Neil Marshall agreed to do this?
BilalPervaiz58Apr 17, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. didn't liked the story, too much downgraded and worst than first 02 movies this one is crap,, i watched first two movies they were just tremendous and amazing but this is total waste and crap and time wasting bullsh*t... Expand
JortigoApr 12, 2019
From the trailer you could see the disaster coming.
It has a disastrous script and forgettable characters.
I hate everything about this tape.
MarkWarriorsApr 12, 2019
I was a fan of Del Toro movies, and I hoped that this one could be someway decent. Totally wrong. Everything is really wrong. Soundtrack choices without sense, script rushed and without sense, boring characters, cgi sometimes is really bad,I was a fan of Del Toro movies, and I hoped that this one could be someway decent. Totally wrong. Everything is really wrong. Soundtrack choices without sense, script rushed and without sense, boring characters, cgi sometimes is really bad, way too gore without a reason, comedy scenes that make no laugh. Jovovic and Harbour are the only things to save here Expand
Dreamovie2019Apr 14, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was not just waiting for this restart, I was hoping to see a worthy character rebirth on the screen, later, for a minute, eleven years after the release of the Golden Army. Disturbing bells about the quality of the remake have been received for a long time: the script merged into the network is frankly no quality, the news about the small budget, the Harbor itself as Hellboy, who for many after Perlman turned out to be a rather controversial candidate for the role.
However, despite all this negative, I still ventured on the first day of the premiere (04/11/2019) to visit the cinema. Later I had to regret it very much, because everything turned out to be much worse than I had originally expected. So let's go in order.

The plot, unfortunately, is the sore point of the picture. Instead of a connected and logical story, something vague and extremely transient turned out. Literally from the first minutes, such an amount of exposure and so little specifics are poured into the ears of the viewer that there is a risk of being tired of this already in the fifth minute. You can not wait for any thoughtful narration, disclosure of characters and immersion in the details of the universe, the viewer is mainly told, but not shown everything is extremely empty and superficial. The creators simply took a few plot arches from the original comic book and shoved it into a mess, also cutting it down before it. Locations change at a breakneck pace, the film just jumps from one to another and tries to show as much as possible, without stopping at the same time on something concrete and without complementing the themes raised by past films and the original.

Awful, wretched and, the saddest, giving a very wrong idea about the original essence of the character. Shame, shame and shame again. Ordinary viewers simply do not understand anything, the fans of the original will receive only extreme disappointment. Personally, the entire session is not that I did not show interest in the story being presented, but simply tried not to fall asleep. So everything turned out a second time, faded and gray. The typical Hollywood approach of recent years, when the whole essence of the original work is altered and shown so badly and superficially that one just wants to cry. I swear, it’s better to reconsider the dilogy from Guillermo for the five hundredth time, it’s just a huge gap in terms of the quality of work on the material and its understanding. the reasons for the popularity of the character, just a couple of times scrolling through the original comics, asking Minjol to work a little on the script and stuffing as many fan laura as possible, without even imagining how such highly dubious experiments will look like in two an ases (!) movie.
The acting game is an even bigger finish. All (except for the Harbor) play out with stone faces, occasionally make faces and clearly quietly laugh behind the scenes at the general absurdity and trash of what is happening. Most offensive for Jovovich in the role of the notorious Queen, because the potential was gigantic, but neither the character itself is not properly disclosed, nor the actress herself does not want to convincingly convince him. A harbor in the role of a feature with horns filed suddenly turned out to be the only advantage of the painting. Brutality, anger and threatening appearance are present, but spoil all the frankly poor attempts to joke. Obviously not the Perlman level, but close enough and, as an option for a future replacement, quite worthy.

“Adult” age rating was definitely not allowed where it should be. Instead of the personal drama of the character or the eerie atmosphere of the viewer, there will be an extremely unappetizing tresa rachlenenka and various variations of the word **** which in such a poor film simply cannot go to the village or the city. They do not add depth to the dialogues, the atmosphere (which is not there initially), too.
By and large, Hellboy of the sample of 2019 is not just a bad movie. This is the natural abyss of Hell, an absolute creature of Satan, something that should not exist in principle. The film is of no value either to fans or to, for the most part, ordinary viewers. Absolutely empty and meaningless attraction, trying only to parasitize on the mythology of the original. An attraction where there is nothing good except playing Harbor. Watch in the cinema? No, I don’t want you to repeat my mistakes. At home, when will it be released? The very thing, because the film can clearly trace how recently the notorious “Hollywood” has become lazy and degraded. I honestly wish this “miracle” even lower ratings from critics and a loud failure at the box office. Real fans obviously don't need such a remake.