A24 | Release Date: May 25, 2018
5.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 28 Ratings
Watch Now
ShowMeMoreMay 29, 2018
Wow. From the director of Angry Inch and Shortbus - so I was not expecting a mainstream conventional film. I can't help but think "What was Nicole Kidman thinking". Although Kidman acts in independent films relatively often I think thisWow. From the director of Angry Inch and Shortbus - so I was not expecting a mainstream conventional film. I can't help but think "What was Nicole Kidman thinking". Although Kidman acts in independent films relatively often I think this was just one too far.
At its heart I think this film is a love story, but there are many clashing genres. But then again the film's mode of delivery is the punk rock scene - so there's that. Some punk rock kids find an after party in some dilapidated building. They enter to find supreme weirdness within. The building is occupied by aliens who have come to earth to feed on humans to grow their colony. It's a scary prospect which never comes across in a convincing or threatening manner. I was not convinced or really drawn in at all. So the "love conquers all" finale idea falls pretty flat. Furthermore, if you are going to make a film that challenges the important idea of rules vs anarchy, conformity vs non-conformity or collectivism vs individualism then you need to do better than this.
Visually the film was not too bad but I'm afraid it's just a terrible movie. It will probably gain a cult status along the way.
TVJerryJun 3, 2018
Talk about a misrepresented title: You'd think this would be a silly teen comedy about awkward boys. Instead, it's a weird sci-fi mess that takes place in 1977 London, when the punk movement was at its peak. Three high schoolers are aimingTalk about a misrepresented title: You'd think this would be a silly teen comedy about awkward boys. Instead, it's a weird sci-fi mess that takes place in 1977 London, when the punk movement was at its peak. Three high schoolers are aiming for the safety-pin lifestyle when they run across a house full of weirdos. Turns out they're aliens, but that doesn't stop an interspecies romance from developing (featuring Elle Fanning). Sadly, what starts as fun turns into a tedious discussion about personal freedom and love and a bunch of other useless blather. The otherwordly angle is mostly dumb and confusing, while the punk world (including Nicole KIdman as the matriarch) is noisy chaos (which is kinda appropriate). Also, the fact this movie is copyrighted 2016 reveals that even the filmmakers were hesitant about its release. Director John Cameron Mitchell has his 3rd strikeout. Expand
moviemitch96Jun 4, 2018
Wow! What a bizarre film! Unfortunately the few funny moments there were were quite overshadowed by it's completely weird and random vibe throughout. Elle Fanning and Nicole Kidman honestly could've picked such a better film to associateWow! What a bizarre film! Unfortunately the few funny moments there were were quite overshadowed by it's completely weird and random vibe throughout. Elle Fanning and Nicole Kidman honestly could've picked such a better film to associate themselves with too. Overall, it's not completely terrible, but it's definitely very mediocre, random, scattershot, and once again I can't stress this enough, bizarre! Expand
justwibiOct 10, 2018
actually HTTTGAP had a original idea. but this movie couldn't handle it well. there's a lot of thing happens but the plot itself is not combining in a good way.
JLuis_001May 27, 2018
There's definitely attitude and energy. Musical and rebellious energy, Elle Fanning is a treasure. Nicole Kidman is having a solid streak with diverse roles and this is an excellent example and the film itself isn't quite a disaster but it'sThere's definitely attitude and energy. Musical and rebellious energy, Elle Fanning is a treasure. Nicole Kidman is having a solid streak with diverse roles and this is an excellent example and the film itself isn't quite a disaster but it's indeed very disappointing and painfully dull.

The film is all over the place and there's never a grasp of direction. The story feels incredibly unfocused and that's the reason why it became so boring.
I also didn't feel any sort of connection with the characters and I never really found them interesting enough to carry the whole weight of the film.

This film is based on a short story by Neil Gaiman which I think did not exceed more than 20 pages, so I guess the director; John Cameron Mitchell exaggerated the dimension and the scope of the story in order to portray it with his vision, but for me his vision was tremendously flawed.
GrantD243Jan 22, 2019
Oof, this one right here, officer. How to Talk to Girls at Parties is one of the worst films of 2018. The concept is cool, and the acting is decent, but the execution of the story just misses the mark by about three miles.
CosiMOLOGOSep 10, 2018
Neil Gaiman es uno de los escritores más prodigiosos del género fantástico. Coraline adaptado el 2009 y el 2017 American Gods, una serie producida por Amazon. Ahora de la mano de John Cameron Mitchell trae la historia de un grupo de chicosNeil Gaiman es uno de los escritores más prodigiosos del género fantástico. Coraline adaptado el 2009 y el 2017 American Gods, una serie producida por Amazon. Ahora de la mano de John Cameron Mitchell trae la historia de un grupo de chicos punk que un día de fiesta se encuentran con unos extraterrestres. Enn, interpretado magistralmente por Alex Sharp, se enamora de Zan, , una chica perteneciente a una de las colonias extraterrestres. La historia de Gaiman sirve como marco, ya que solo es la primera parte de la película Lo más notorio en la película es el estilo visual. John Cameron Mitchell ya había trabajado en una película similar el 2001 con Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Un estilo que recuerda al musical clásico The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Esta puede ser considerada una película rara para el público que va en busca de una típica comedia romántica. Pero aquellos que hayan disfrutado del trabajo anterior de este director o les guste The Rocky Horror Picture Show seguramente también la disfrutarán. El problema de esta película es que no define un discurso principal. Trata de tocar varios temas y no trabaja bien uno solo. Pero sin embargo es una película entretenida, colorida, hilarante y muy bien actuada. Expand