RLJE Films | Release Date: March 23, 2018
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 70 Ratings
Watch Now
deckJul 20, 2018
Solid, in places exciting and entertaining, although the twist quickly becomes clear. Most of the stylistic missing is the over-subscription of the comic. As a result, the answer that the film gives to the fantasy of a child seems reactionary.
GrantD243Jul 24, 2018
I Kill Giants is a young adult drama with some fantasy elements that follows a girl, named Barbara, who believes that she hunts and kills giants. This film isn't quite as fantasy centric as I expected after seeing the poster for it. The mainI Kill Giants is a young adult drama with some fantasy elements that follows a girl, named Barbara, who believes that she hunts and kills giants. This film isn't quite as fantasy centric as I expected after seeing the poster for it. The main focus of this film is to show how Barbara deals with her fears and the problems she is currently facing. She's often bullied and referred to as the "weird girl" when she is at school, but when she is outside of school she seems rather outgoing and brave in her quest to "save the city" from the giants that she believes are coming to destroy everything. However, there are not really any giants. The giants are from her imagination and they represent something that has been looming over her for some time–a fact, which is revealed later in the film, that she does not want to accept. It is with that revelation that I came to sympathize with Barbara, because up until that point she really hadn't earned it. She is clearly smart, and I hate seeing anyone get bullied, but there were plenty of times outside of when she is getting bullied where she basically shoots herself in the foot. She creates problems for herself that could have been avoided. So while I was rooting for her all the way through, I couldn't help but get a bit frustrated with her as well. I do think that the final act of the film wrapped up well, though, and I was on board with the message this film is trying to get across. However, I do think that the fantasy and real world elements could have been more properly balanced and well blended. There are plenty of plot holes and some elements of the story just don't tie in well together. I also believe that this film would have benefited from the character of Barbara coming off as more likable through the first half of the film. Furthermore, this is a young adult drama but I think it would have a tough time holding the attention of a young adult audience. It's slow at times, and if the audience went in expecting lots of fantasy elements, or lots of action, they'd be quite disappointed. Overall, this is a young adult drama that might be more fit for an older audience, but the problem is that an older audience is going to see the problems with the story and characters much easier. That puts this film in a tough spot, and I think that's why it has gotten such a mixed reaction from people who have watched it. However, I will say that if this ever makes its way to a streaming service it might be worth a shot for you to try it out if you're into young adult films. Expand
JLuis_001Mar 30, 2018
It has a resemblance both in tone and thematic with When a Monster Calls but manages to distance itself and mark its own path.

The interesting resonates because the character is feminine and exposes her fierceness, anguish, anger, fear and pain and those are elements that are rarely explored in films like this and if they do they end up being reduced or minimized.

This is a coming of age drama that balances itself between real life problems and fantasy but it never loses sight of what it's trying to say, yet its proposal never dares to be more obscure and frontal and that wouldn't have been bad at all.

This film is nothing remarkable but it's sufficiently productive and functional, it's well done and well acted, especially remarking the work its young protagonist and I really believe it deserves more attention than what it will ended up receiving.