Netflix | Release Date: November 15, 2019
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 77 Ratings
Watch Now
alejandro970Jan 12, 2020
The bizarre odyssey of a severed hand maybe not for all tastes, specially when is for mature viewers. The idea is original but I noticed a lack of rhythm for getting more interested on plot. ¿Overrated or misunderstood? Your choice.
theredskyDec 22, 2019
I Lost My Body is my second favorite animated film I have seen this year. It’s also a Netflix release which means it is available to anyone who has it. The animation is breathtaking. It’s probably the best animation I have seen this year. ItI Lost My Body is my second favorite animated film I have seen this year. It’s also a Netflix release which means it is available to anyone who has it. The animation is breathtaking. It’s probably the best animation I have seen this year. It all looks hand drawn but flows like a regular movie. Each shot is unique and beautiful. There is always something pleasing to look at. The colors help make each shot stand out. There are a lot of gray shots for flashbacks and more depressing scenes but for more intense scenes, we get more reds, blues, and greens. It helped make the film stand out. The voice acting may be mediocre but the characters and their designs are interesting to look at. Each character has their own specific trait that they follow. The story may be confusing at first but by the end you understand what happened and why. Essentially, we follow the story from two perspectives. One being in the past about a man named Naoufel trying to fall in love and move on from his past while another story, which takes place in the present, is about a mysterious hand that has lost its owner and is trying to return to him. Over the course of the story, we follow both of these characters triumphs and setbacks until their respective stories finally come together. I interpreted the story’s message to be that our past is important to form who we are but we shouldn’t always look back to it but instead to look forward to our future. I felt the music, although repetitive and weird in a handful of scenes, was pretty great. It added to the emotion of each scene and helped each shot feel more unique and beautiful. The script is nothing to hammer home about but it was still pretty good. Overall, I Lost My Body is a great animated film with some fantastic animation, great music, and a cute story and message. Expand
kayhamedJan 13, 2020
Soundtrack: 10/10
Animation: 8/10
Story: 0/10

To sum it up, this film is nothing without its soundtrack.
BrunoVn00Nov 30, 2019
I Lost My Body tells a heartbreaking story about Naofel, a guy with a tragic backstory who just wants to live the normal life that was taken away from him. The movie made a really good job in making me connect with him and what he passesI Lost My Body tells a heartbreaking story about Naofel, a guy with a tragic backstory who just wants to live the normal life that was taken away from him. The movie made a really good job in making me connect with him and what he passes through the movie and it did it with great visual storytelling and great dialogue. His journey throughout this movie is genuinely interesting. The story is not told in chronological order. It switches back and forth between different situations and stages of his life, but it is with a purpose and not just like at random. Every single scene adds to his character. He feels like a flawed character. If anything this is his movie. This is a character study movie and he is the character that the audience "studies". Not saying that the rest of the characters were underdeveloped (well, besides Gabrielle, the girl, I guess pretty much every other character is just there as a plot device). The animation and visual style fits perfectly the intended tone of the movie. This movie looks beautiful. The score is also beautiful. There were some moments where I thought that the music felt out of place, but nothing that ruins the movie or anything. The rest of the movie has a score that makes already powerful moments even more powerful. I'm glad to see that Netflix is distributing more independent animation, specially a movie like this which is more adult-oriented. This feels like a passion project. This is an animated movie made with love, with creative ideas. Watching a movie like this feels like a breath of fresh air in an industry dominated mostly by Disney. It is definitely one of the best animated films of the year and I highly recommend it. Expand
DzimasApr 4, 2020
To think this movie lost out to Toy Story 4 as best animated feature for 2019. I guess this is what happens when you give your Oscar ballots to four-year old kids. I Lost My Body is a wonderful tale told from the point of view of a missingTo think this movie lost out to Toy Story 4 as best animated feature for 2019. I guess this is what happens when you give your Oscar ballots to four-year old kids. I Lost My Body is a wonderful tale told from the point of view of a missing hand, as it searches Paris for its long lost body. It takes a little while to get into the spirit of the movie but you are richly rewarded as you find out more about the shy Nauofel, to whom the hand belongs. It's the kind of storytelling and animation sorely missed today in mainstream cinema.

I would think we had become so inured to Pixar animated features that people would jump all over a film like this, but it remained largely an art house favorite until Netflix picked it up and made it available for streaming. Thank goodness for that or I might never have seen it.

Part love story, part immigrant tale, part long-lost youth, I Lost My Body speaks beyond the loss of an appendage to the loss of an identity and the attempt to find it again. I loved this story even if it was a bit slow in parts. While not for pre-schoolers, I think most children would get something out of this, as so many of us suffer through the same insecurities regardless of where we come from.
MattBrady99Dec 20, 2019
'I Lost My Body' is a poetic animated movie that's so simple, and yet a surreal road trip tipped in melancholic acid.

This flew under my radar for awhile until the award buzz surrounding this movie has been...well, buzzing. I like unique

I like unique movies like this, with complex ideas with nightmarish under tones. The animation is absolutely beautiful, but I couldn't believe the budge was actually pretty small considering what we got, which surprised me the most. Also the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic and it was something I immediately listened to after the movie was over.

Check this one out if you can. I'm being brief about this, because I want you to experience this blind like I did, since it added to my experience.
JokohamaJan 19, 2020
Imaginative with smooth animation, this movie is a pleasure to watch. The ending is a bit off for all characters though.
sebastianaliJul 22, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Si bien la idea era innovadora, personalmente creo que la ejecución no fue del todo correcta. Es una película bastante tranquila, que intenta transmitir mas que nada emociones y escenarios bellos, acompañándose todo esto con una muy buena banda sonora que encaja PERFECTAMENTE con lo que sucede, sin embargo, la historia en si deja bastantes dudas, tanto en el final, si Naofel se fue o arreglo los asuntos con la mujer y que era lo que quería hacer la mano de Naofel al final, ya que hace todo el recorrido para encontrarlo y luego inexplicablemente se marcha? Y porque cobra vida? Ademas si bien me encanta que una película intente ser tranquila y relajante, el hecho de que se pase mas de la mitad de manera muda (sin tan siquiera estar clasificada como cine mudo), se termina volviendo un poco aburrida, al menos desde mi punto de vista. A ver, que películas como "El Planeta Del Tesoro" hacen algo como esto, tienen una trama super simple pero yo las considero como una de mis favoritas... porque? Porque tienen personajes con muchísimo carisma y escenarios bellos! Y no tienen huecos argumentales como pasa con I lost My Body! También comparte el mismo destino que "Jack y el reloj cucu", "grandes intentos de crear buenas tramas" y super bellas pero con un tremendo potencial desperdiciado (aunque por lo menos creo yo que la supera porque la de Jack abusa con las canciones muy malas que por cierto ya le hice una reseña). No es una película para todo el mundo, pero considerando que a mi me gusta las cosas que abarcan esta clase de películas, tengo todo el derecho a opinar sobre ella. Algo que si me gusta bastante por cierto, es que sea una película animada solo con personas y no con animales "humanizados", cosa que es raro de ver. La recomiendo. Al menos reconozco que es completamente normal que a uno le guste... o no. Expand
DanilaBDec 8, 2019
Потрясающая история. Каждый должен посмотреть этот фильм. Не помню, когда в последний раз попадалась настолько качественная взрослая анимация.Потрясающая история. Каждый должен посмотреть этот фильм. Не помню, когда в последний раз попадалась настолько качественная взрослая анимация.
sirrongJan 18, 2020
The movie was too unsettling at times to love. Definitely worth seeing though.
ajzeg01Jan 10, 2020
Why did beautiful, original animated films like this all get released straight-to-Netflix last year while crap like Playmobil and Arctic Dogs got to play in theatres? Well, whatever the reason, I’m glad that movies like these are moreWhy did beautiful, original animated films like this all get released straight-to-Netflix last year while crap like Playmobil and Arctic Dogs got to play in theatres? Well, whatever the reason, I’m glad that movies like these are more accessible than ever nowadays, even if they don’t get a wide theatrical release. This is a very interesting and artistic animated film from France about a severed hand trying to find the rest of his body, as well as the story of a young man growing up and falling in love. This film is very slow, moody and atmospheric. It sucks you into the world of being a sentient severed hand. The human storyline is well-done too! Lots of heart and tragedy. The animation is hand-drawn, but it’s somewhat limited. It runs as a low frame rate, similar to anime. It almost looks like a less flashy and less stylized Into the Spider-verse. It doesn’t push the limits of the medium or do new things with it like Klaus or Spider-verse, but it’s still a very visually appealing film. The ending is a little weird and some may find the film slow, but I say this is definitely worth a watch. It’s another one of the year’s best animated films. Don’t watch it with the kids though, this ain’t a kids movie! Show them Spider-verse again instead. Expand
JordanLaytonApr 27, 2020
A wild concept and an initially unlikable protagonist combine to create a beautifully animated statement about determinism. This is a film about a disembodied hand finding its way back to its owner. Simultaneously, said owner is shown inA wild concept and an initially unlikable protagonist combine to create a beautifully animated statement about determinism. This is a film about a disembodied hand finding its way back to its owner. Simultaneously, said owner is shown in flashback pursuing a woman. And that second part is where my issue lies. At the risk of simplifying, this young man delivers the woman a pizza, has a nice conversation with her, calls 50 places trying to find her place of work, follows her from he replace of work to her grandfather's business, and gets a job there to try to get close to her. SO, not a protagonist you can really get behind for much of the film, but it does come together eventually in my opinion through his own comeuppance and the fleshing out of his past.l followed by the affirmation of his non-deterministic view of the future. Expand
TomDeBombOct 24, 2020
I Lost My Body left me stirred with emotion, something I never thought a movie where the main character is a severed hand could do. A masterpiece to be sure.

I Lost My Body follows Naofel a man who is simply going through the motions trying to find meaning after the death of his parents as a severed hand tries to make its way through the bustling city in truly delightfully, creative sequences. It's difficult to say much more about the plot without spoiling anything but it's a simple almost mundane storyline serving as little more than a device to explore powerful themes such as, longing, fate, love and purpose. It can be positively odd at times which I love and it truly has some incredible displays of sound design, editing and animation.

And oh, the animation! Vibrant and full of movement it cleverly conveys the scenario as clear as a mirror. The fps is very low allowing for a certain grit and character in the movement. As previously mentioned the hand sequences are incredible giving the everyday world a new perspective as we follow a severed hand below trains, across rooftops and throughout apartments. It has an amazing soundtrack as well, something which often cannot be said for most films unfortunately. Overall, I Lost My Body is a bizarre, delightful tale that is sure to make audiences a little more curious about the world around them once the credits role. It very much feels like the type of movie I'll rewatch every year or two to try and decipher it's symbolic meaning. It has become one of my favourite animated movie for sure. Highly recommend! I hope you found this review helpful.