Focus Features | Release Date: June 5, 2015
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 234 Ratings
Watch Now
dadoctormavJun 21, 2015
The Further? Again? Yes its a prequel but can't they introduce a new environment where these demons came from, perhaps another portal? Fresh ideas please.
imthenoobMar 8, 2018
I don't get the point of this movie. For a prequel, It established nothing that couldn't have been explained in the previous 2 films and offered nothing new in terms of information for the franchise. Also, It wasn't scary in the slightest.
nima1990Sep 27, 2015
If you want another movie with cheap scares and a massive load of idiotic jump scares with no satisfying plot, go for Insidious: Chapter 3. Throw one jump scare and that's fine but no actual creepiness and relying only one jump scares is aIf you want another movie with cheap scares and a massive load of idiotic jump scares with no satisfying plot, go for Insidious: Chapter 3. Throw one jump scare and that's fine but no actual creepiness and relying only one jump scares is a terrible idea. Expand
MPBebJun 20, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diminishing returns on a franchise abandoned to whatever soundtrack scares go bump in the night and a premise wearing thin through each successive iteration. After the transgender hate crime of chapter 2, Insidious returns with a prequel that shifts our attention to another imperiled family. Though the entire film focuses on a convoluted teenage girl prone to occult spirituality as she mourns the passing of her mother and attempts to contact her spirit. Instead of slowly developing the web of relationships and anxieties between this new family we focus on the barely present stereotypical outlines of her perpetually distracted and stressed out working father and the pest younger sibling. Quinn becomes a quasi-maternal center in a family that resents or ignores her coercing her to seek the ideal dead mother who is defined by an interest in vinyl records and the adulation of her daughter (but nothing else). When Quinn calls out to one dead person, one with a more Insidious purpose responds. Sadly the presence of this "parasite" or "demon" or geriatric ghost in a hospital gown and oxygen mask is far from frightening unless the grim specter of aging is the greatest fear our generation possesses. Watching all three movies makes me question what laws govern "the further" (time is not linear as we saw in Chapter 2) there are malevolent spirits, demons and haunted places defined by trauma or violence (but was the red-faced demon in the first movie in the attic of the old house because of the murder that continued to haunt the house in the other realm or was the demon responsible for instigating that uncanny act, just like was the house of the Black Bride near Josh's childhood bedroom because of a connection made when he witnessed the death of the castrated old man?) I realize a supernatural horror film using astral projection as a plot point does not need to conform to logic, but the films are content with telling us a story we already know (like how Chapter 2 combines every gender confused serial killer from Silence of the Lambs to Psycho except with a domineering ghost mother that dresses like a Victorian Vampire and has a vicious right hook). This movie uniquely offers insight into the antagonistic relationship between the murderous Black Bride and psychic Elise and also fabricates a tragic background story about a spouses suicide, it also explains how she teamed up with the technologically savvy ghost hunters who added comic relief to the first Insidious though were less interesting in the second and were ultimately con artists relying on blogs and computer editing to establish a cult reputation as ghost chasers in Chapter 3. So if you are prone to jumping at loud sounds, are afraid of the elderly, find mysterious black footprints that climb the walls unnerving and have spared yourself from seeing the trailer in order to be genuinely startled by the limited soundtrack manipulation of this movie it is well within your rights to see it in the theaters. For those who are more reluctant to part with hard earned money, it will probably be on Netflix in a matter of months. Expand
EpicLadySpongeDec 30, 2015
I'm not a fan of horror movies and horror movies are not my type of movies. In this prequel, we learn that scaring people has became cheesy and clich├ęd during 97 minutes of movie time.
JLuis_001Sep 7, 2017
I'm a fan of Insidious 1 and 2 but Chapter 3 does not live up to my expectation and it is inevitable to compare them, by saying this I do not mean that the film is not so entertaining, but it is not as agile as the first two.
Does it scare
Does it scare you? Yes and no, there are moments that will inevitably take you off, especially a moment involving a car, but usually it is only the dark atmosphere.
FilipeNetoNov 25, 2018
The first film was excellent and the second was equally good, although it has some weaknesses. This movie, however, was disappointing... as the second film took any chance of making a continuation, they tried to make a prequel but, sinceThe first film was excellent and the second was equally good, although it has some weaknesses. This movie, however, was disappointing... as the second film took any chance of making a continuation, they tried to make a prequel but, since there was no story for it, they had to create a new one. It revolves around a girl who tried to contact her own mother's spirit but ended up, somehow, catching the eye of an evil entity. This is where our old acquaintance Elise comes in, and we learn that she's also being pursued by a spirit. That is, the film tries to make a clear connection with the previous films, and even manages to do it... but the ending spoiled everything. It's clear from the very beginning that this film doesn't have the same quality as the others and the script uses a lot of predictable features and does not give us anything new but, despite that, the film would have been average if the ending was not so bad and so cliche.

Lyn Shaye returns to give life to the main character but she doesn't have much to give us. She is a good actress and, in fact, it's she who carries the film, but it lacks a good story for her to shine; Stefanie Scott was well too, she did an average work. The remaining cast ends up in the shadow of these two actresses and, in contrary to the two previous films, Elise's helpers was unnecessary. Technically there is nothing to mention, besides some good scares, a pleasant feel of tense and an excellent use of sound and visual effects.

To summarize and conclude, this movie is not totally bad, but it's far from my expectations.