6.4

1. May 3, 2013
    This is what i love about america... so many people hate our country but love our movies, music, and video games. Well this movie is gold, i loved it from start to finish. it is true that the mandarin isn't like the comic book one but in the dark knight rises bane isnt either so yeah shut up! please see this amazing movie this weekend so it proves that iron man is the hero and king of the american box office Expand
  2. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So first of all, I want to say that I loved this movie, but I do get the hate on it, for it's controversial plottwist.
    But there are some reasons why some fanboys shoud NOT be so angry about it;
    - first of all, the fake mandarin was set up, to not set up a racist stereotype and more of like a fun character.
    - aldrich killian revealed that he was the real mandarin, he even had some dragontattoos across his chest.
    - a big part of the fanbase was angry at Tony throwing his arc reactor away at the end, but Tony states that he is still Iron Man and he picks up one of the extremis holders, which will likely mean that he will build an extremis suit, powered by repulsor technology (which has also been confirmed as the new energysource for the suits.) and this will set up a suit that will allow Tony to go into space with it, and this will probably set up the bridge between guardians of the galaxy and avengers 2.

so for me this was a very good movie, and I think they've done a great job with expanding the MCU even further
  3. May 3, 2013
    The movie for one was anticipated. I waited and waited for its release and yes it was worth the wait. Robert Downy Jr. has once again claimed his crown or rather his mask of being Iron Man, The story was simple and short and for those of you who haven't watched the movie yet, I promise you there will be a part where you will be confused. All I am saying is that the poster you see is a deception. The movie Definitively has a lot of laughs, the action too is spectacular with his solo performance without the Avengers. This movie shows what a Superhero can do when going through a worst case scenario.
    Brilliant Performance and I look forward to future films by Marvel Studio.
  4. May 5, 2013
    LOVED IT! Possibly my favorite of the trilogy. The director shows us Tony Stark in ways we've not yet seen him before, and Robert Downey Jr is absolutely brilliant in the role. This is the fourth movie to feature Iron Man, and each time Marvel makes the suits more bad ass than before. Yes, the hardcore comic book fans will have a few gripes, but for the rest of us, this movie sets the bar very high for summer 2013 releases. Expand
  5. May 9, 2013
    Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) almost loses it all, but the plot doesn't really matter. There are certain things we've come to expect from this franchise and this installment delivers (possibly the best yet). Cool gadgets and flashy effects. Big action sequences. Enjoyable characters. Genuinely funny interactions. It snaps along with great skill and lots of fun! Everything a comic book flick should be. NOTE: Of course, stay thru the credits for a funny cameo. Expand
  6. May 6, 2013
    My favorite of the trilogy so far, with a twist that no one will see coming, second only to the avengers itself. All comic book fans owe it to themselves to see this beautiful movie.
  7. May 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man 3 is the epic continuation of story about famous superhero. It's good, not ideal. Iron Man 3 has an unexpected outcome with a main villian, augmented story of previous films and funny jokes of protagonist (not always). And yet, the movie lived up to my expectations. Expand
  8. May 8, 2013
    If you loved Iron Man, then this is a move for you. Not as good as Iron Man, but better than Iron Man 2. If you like action movies, this is worth seeing. There are some flaws, but this is not movie that claims to based on a true story or real event. It is a action movie based on a comic book hero. There are going to be things you are a stretch. Classic "Rambo" type moments where you know someone should have died or been hurt, but somehow escapes harm and impossible shots made time and time again.

The acting is a mix of okay to good. The pace of the movie is generally good. The special effects are generally solid. It is worth seeing at a theater.
  9. May 7, 2013
    An amazing action movie! Arguably the best in the series! The action was amazing and the acting was impeccable. The only mishaps were in the story itself. Some of it felt a bit rushed but overall, one of the best movies I have seen in a while
  10. May 3, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is the movie that makes the fans believe in the legend and power of Tony Stark. Iron Man 3 is totally a new original story that has come into life by director Shane Black who brought us the unusual Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's epic and awesome at times. So this powerful sequel is about Tony Stark who's life falls apart by a terrorist named Mandarin, with the help of James Rhodes he seeks revenge. In this plot Pepper Potts digs deeper into the superhero we all know. Basically this movie is something you have never seen before, new suit and new story. IronMan 3 is the movie of the year. The comic scenes were funny and the action was good. Worth watching in 3D. You will not waste your money. But in the end my long wait has finally ended. With satisfaction. Expand
  11. May 18, 2013
    Ok, you nerd fanboys need to just SHUT UP, I don't care if the direction they take annoys the hell out of you, its just summer fun with a darker tone and people need to release that
  12. May 4, 2013
    Why is everybody hating on this movie?It has a great story,a interesting twist once you have thought about it for a while,amazing effects and an amazing final battle.
  13. May 13, 2013
    People mad at the "twist" need to get over themselves as I have a feeling that it isn't what it appears to be. Call it a hunch. The movie was entertaining and well-made which is the reason you should be spending the money to see a movie anyway. As usual people focus on what they don't like instead of what they do. Don't listen to the haters and see this movie if only for the Malibu scene alone which is one of the most amazing things I have seen in movies in a long while. Expand
  14. May 13, 2013
    Well how exactly were Marvel going to better the raging success and massive hit that was The Avengers? With Shane Black thats how.
    Robert Downey Jr. returns to Tony Stark land after saving the world from Loki’s alien army in New York, but that is exactly why he is having such a hard time. He simply cannot get round the fact that there are aliens and gods in the world he lives in. As he
    attempts to better his suit using several motions only with his arm, there is another very real threat in the form of The Mandarin, played by the fantastic Ben Kingsley.
    This guy is out simply to prove the point that he cannot be found, but that he can do very real damage to America. Tony struggles to separate himself from his suits to the point of having anxiety attacks when he thinks about the events of New York. Another shady character thrown into the mix is Aldrich Killian, played by Guy Pearce, he is attempting to put out is Extremis endeavour with the help of Stark. But as several events start to unfold, it is clear to Tony that not everyone is who they say they are, and Tony must pick himself up after an explosive incident at his home, and he must find a way to stop The Mandarin.
    Shane Black has simply revitalised the Iron Man genre after the disappointing second outing, in the directors chair and as a co-writer. He has brought to us a very humorous and clever film that simply goes in at full steam, never trying to better The Avengers, but showing that a brilliant story can be told along with sublime action sequences and character development that will never cease to amaze, with only one of the Avengers there.
    With quite a major but also hysterical twist, it will truly show the writing power of Black, who has made this superhero film his own, along with very interesting characters.
    Downey Jr. is on fine form yet again as our suited up hero, he begins to show true balance between his life as Iron Man but also his commitment to his girlfriend Pepper Potts, played again by Gwyneth Paltrow who has an expanded and very significant role in the third outing. Ben Kingsley has to be one of the highest points of the film, combining his unique take on a comic book legend and with a wonderfully bizarre tone of speaking that makes it all the better.
    James Badge Dale, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and also former director Jon Favreau are on excellent form, combining these extraordinary characters with a commanding story and spectacular effects, this really is a superb follow up in a post-Avengers universe, and the best solo Marvel film to grace the screen.
    You would be a fool not to treat yourself to this remarkable film, with enough one-liners to make it an excellent comedy, mixed with the spectacular action, and of course a post-credit scene that for what it symbolises is just fantastic to watch, don’t miss out on the third, but hopefully not the last solo outing for Iron Man.
  15. May 5, 2013
    Iron Man 3 pits brash-but-brilliant industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man against an enemy whose reach knows no bounds. When Stark finds his personal world destroyed at his enemy’s hands, he embarks on a harrowing quest to find those responsible. This journey, at every turn, will test his mettlele. With his back against the wall, Stark is left to survive by his own devices, relying on his ingenuity and instincts to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him: does the man make the suit or does the suit make the man? [Marvel Studios Expand
  16. May 3, 2013
    @J-P-M we don't hate your country, What we really hate is united statiants. by the way, good movie. ...the best of the Marvel films with its complex story, exciting action, great cast and special effects.
  17. May 13, 2013
    Was surprised the amount of negative heat this film was taking, but as someone who has seen all the Marvel movies, I would say this one was easily the best. RDJ stepped up the acting (check), refreshing villians (check), more Don Cheadle given more to do (check).....people just need to get over themselves and quit hating an excellent popcorn flick. Here is hoping RDJ isnt done playing Tony Stark Expand
  18. May 3, 2013
    Saw this last night at the 9pm showing (which wasn't very packed, but everything apparently decided to come to midnight, lol) Anyway, the movie was awesome. Not quite a good at the first, but definately better than the second. I enjoyed quite a few things of the movie some of them containing spoilers that I won't mention, so do yourself a favor and go see the movie
  19. May 4, 2013
    Iron man 3 is a better than Iron man 1, which makes it definitely better than 2 Well wrapped up story, lots of good action, thrilling plot points, and weirdly funny! A great watch (if you are not a hardcore comic book fan, in which case brace yourself for some hartbreaking revelations)
  20. May 5, 2013
    I loved it. Saw it opening night. Besides being a good Iron Man movie, it's also political/social commentary in a blockbusting suit neat stuff totally awesome sign of the times.
  21. May 3, 2013
    It was just WOW!!!!!! I wasn't expecting to have so much fun. Great action, amazing soundtrack, special effects, extraordinary performances and great plot.
    In my opinion Iron Man 3 is a must see movie and one of the best movies ever.
  22. May 5, 2013
    This movie was awesome! It had a different feel from all of the other iron mans but was by far the best in terms of suits. There are alot of references to avengers and other movies so make sure that you watch them all before seeing Iron man 3. I would say go see it in a heart beat.
  23. May 9, 2013
    what struck me about iron man 3 was the way he had been working on like 50 different suits and overall the movie i really enjoy there is a weird twist in the movie but that did not bother me so much and the way shane black use the humour is great the only thing the would have made this movie great if the had shown more of don cheadle not as good as number 1 or avengers but still a great entry into the iron man series Expand
  24. May 19, 2013
    Iron Man 3 I managed to watch the movie still on May 5, and was pleasantly surprised. To a premiere I had approximate ideas of images of villains, scenarios, and behavior of the main character. But viewing changed my opinions on these aspects finally. Having seen it, I was frankly struck with unpredictability and originality of the movie and the game of actors. As I liked dynamism of actions, there were no boring monologues and the memoirs of the past which have bothered with everything of reasonings on life and threats from enemies of the main character. Each shot of work opened to me something new. As an example new scenes of relationship between the main and minor characters. Remember, at least, Harley's fascinating company and "mechanic". Where you still similar saw? Interaction of two of these children was simple a masterpiece. Thaw I was as if Tony's reflection in the childhood, it appeared its copy. Same mentality, actions, sharpness of mind and other. Perhaps it I was one high points of the movie.

I can't but note Gwyneth Paltrow's smart game, her emotions, experience. As always I added jokes in the movie her irascibility. Guy Pearce's game, something like "silent insanity" was interesting. The situation with Tangerine and the Iron Patriot, in time of "a kishlak capture" was an occasion to laugh. All movie in a tone of the audience was supported cheerful and, all by Tony's fallen in love jokes and a mockery over Roudsom.

Pleased special effects and reasonableness of the scenario. It is necessary to tell that in the movie there were no excess moments. Movie foreshortening, good casting of actors, scenery

The movie, I will repeat, I became for me opening at industry cinema. He didn't repeat errors of 2 parts of the trilogy and surpassed achievements 1.It would be desirable that the history would proceed but even if it is the end, very good end of very good series of movies.

10 of 10
  25. May 25, 2013
    IRON MAN 3 Iron Man 3 stars Robert Downey Jr., Guy Pearce, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle and Ben Kingsley. Shane Black has taken over as the director instead of Jon Favreau in this installment of the series. This film starts out at a fairly slower pace than the previous two, but builds as it goes and keeps getting better. In this one, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is called upon by the public to deal with a sinister terrorist who calls himself Mandarin (Kingsley). At the same time, Stark struggles with extreme anxiety attacks as he tries to deal with the recent events of saving mankind from the other worldly villains in The Avengers.
    The acting was top notch. Robert Downey Jr. was great as always, and spends more time out of his Iron Man suit in this one than the previous two Iron Man films. Guy Pearce was a good addition to the series. He was a perfect villain and was fun to hate. Ben Kingsley, easily one of the greatest actors of our time, was amazing in this film. He will most definitely take you by surprise and his performance alone makes this movie worth seeing.

The action and special effects were great. The story, although slow at times, was interesting, had great comic relief and a big payoff at the end.

Go see this movie if you liked any of the other Marvel Comics movies such as Thor, The Avengers or the other two Iron Man movies. Whether or not you see it in 3D, you'll enjoy this one.

My grade for this film: A

Also, be sure to stay all the way through the credits.

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  26. Jun 4, 2013
    "Iron Man 3 is bold, daring, brilliant and easily the best adventure yet. Darker in tone and more prone to high-tech, this sequel is by far the most impressive Marvel film i have ever seen and possibly one of the best superhero films ever to be released." A-
  27. May 26, 2013
    It' not a 10, but i give this vote because some gave 1 or 0. It's a good movie, RDJ is amazing. Probably nerd people will not like it because it's not so damn nerd like the comic version of Extremis Saga, but IMHO it's better. It's a movie, not a comic. People forgot that this film talks about Tony's trip, not about a beard man with 10 super ring and a sword (thanks Wikipedia).
  28. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I have to say as an avid comic reader that the movies will not (and alot of the time SHOULD not) completely follow the source. Some is too fantastical, and some just does not fit into the cinematic universe created so far. That being said, IM3 is an awesome film with some great action, humor, and story that does deviate from the source with no apologies. Now honestly, the first gripe I have heard needs to be addressed. I did not expect the way Mandarin to be played up front in the way he was. BUT he was handled well within the confines of the film. Black handled extremis pretty well, and he integrated a lot of Mandarin into Pearces character. The elitest comic readers will be mad, not to say they dont have reason behind it, its a jarring departure from the source, but again it works.
    The characters are rounded out really well. Rhodes is a more prominent character, Potts is great as always, and Hogan is comedic relief when he shows up. Downey does great, especially injecting some of the fallout from Avengers into his portrayal (and the movies writing as well).
    The action is great, really stepped up from 2. A lot more chaotic and stylized There are some really cool scenes and alot of new armor uses (and armor variances themselves)
    Overall a great movie, and a huge step up from 2. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it
  29. May 3, 2013
    This is a great movie as good as or better than the original. Great humor, huge action, twists and turns. Rated too low by critics here. RottenTomatoe's score is more accurate. Excellent entry in the Marvel Universe. And who can resist the sight of all the suits at the climax? Not me. Just the way a summer movie season should start.
  30. May 10, 2013
    Iron Man 3 was a great movie. It was full of action-packed scene that left you hanging on to the edge of your seats, dramatic scenes that may have fell a little short, but were still okay, and most of all, comedy. Iron Man 3 is by far the funniest movie of the series, with hilarious one-liners from many of the characters that left the whole theater cracking up. Robert Downey Jr did a fantastic job as Iron Man and explained why the man makes the suits very well. There are a few twists that no one will be expecting at all, and may not like at all. For average movie-goers and not hardcore fans, these plot twists may be funny and exciting to them, while for the hardcore fans, these twists will most probably ruin part of the film for them.

The movie does a fine job following The Avengers, although I don't understand why Tony is having these anxiety issues now, when he asked for schwarma right after he survived the alien attack in Manhattan. This film is nowhere close to as serious as it was shown in the trailers, which could be a plus or a minus. Either way, the movie does not fail to excite. However, people who are looking forward to a serious and dramatic movie should look elsewhere from Marvel. Marvel's movies are more about fun and excitement than it is about serious plots and drama-full moments.

All in all, Iron Man 3 is a great movie, but not a perfect one. It leaves you thinking for a while after watching the movie. The cast is great overall, especially RDJ and Ben Kingsley. Gwenyth Paltrow did a pretty good job as well. And even if you don't like the movie, hearing the song "Da Ba Dee" play full blast in IMAX is worth the money in itself.
  31. May 5, 2013
    If you're a major comic book fan, you are NOT going to like this movie. But, thankfully, i'm not, and I love Iron Man, so this movie was amazing to me, although the plot twist sort of changed a lot in my opinion, not only that, but after looking at the trailers you would think "Woah, this movie is going to be EPIC!" But, it isn't, it's action packed and comedy filled, but that's also a good thing. So, this movie is super awesome, but you might not like it so much, but take the risk, on the 50% chance you will enjoy the movie, it's worth a shot! Expand
  32. May 4, 2013
    is a spectacular film technically, and what is the best interpretation of Downey Jr, c does not have a giant hole in the script, it would be the best film of the series Iron Man
  33. May 4, 2013
    This was a great movie it was really good The was tons of action, it had some funny moments and Robert Downey Jr did a great job acting wise as well as Gwyneth Paltrow Don Cheadle, Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce.
  34. May 4, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is an amazing, funny, and action-packed film that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Now, I never read any of the comics, so I don't know if they portrayed any of the characters wrong, so please forgive me. Iron Man 3 amazes and keeps you laughing your entire showtime, although it is over 2 hours, it never leaves you bored. Every thing is great from start to finish. Now the reason I don't give Iron Man 3 a full 10 is because a few scenes kind of felt like they were put in there just for laughs, although they were great and I laughed till I cried, it sort of drifted just a little away from the story and left you wondering why they put that in there. Iron Man 3 is a terrific movie and I want you to go see it today, if you've already seen it, see it again. Expand
  35. May 3, 2013
    Warning SPOILERS. A film directed by Shane Black instead of Jon Favreau and you can tell from the very beginning. As such it carries almost a darker tone when compared to the previous two films. It shows the impact of what happened in New York in a way i did not expect. Instead of Tony Stark carrying on like he is invincible the events of The Avengers has shown that Iron Man is not as invulnerable as he would seem. As the film progresses it is clear Tony is suffering from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and is plagued with nightmares and having panic attacks which is something you wouldnt have seen in Iron Man 1-2.

Inspiration for the film was taken from the Extremis storyline from a few years ago a story that also helped shape the look of the original suit in the first film and its evolution in the second. The action as ever is fantastic, bombastic and adrenaline fuelled. From the scene where the house in Malibu is attacked to the final fight between the films antagonist but more on that later. It felt as if there was less action than the previous but that may be because this film is much more of a Tony Stark story than an Iron Man. For much of the film Tony is stranded and is forced to build his own means of protecting himself without relying on the suit. However when the suit is in the frame it does not disappoint. Very early on were shown one of the suits featured in the film and from those early scenes the suit seems to take on a character of its own and could almost be considered a form of comic relief similar to the mechanical arms in the the other films. I say one of the suits because unless you have somehow managed to evade any of the promo material for the film you will be very aware that there is much more than just one new suit. I cannot go into detail but fans of the comics will enjoy suits that appear to be based on some of the famous comic book incarnations such as the silver centurion and one that could be based on the infamous hulk buster armour.

Moving onto the villain of the film as we have been lead to believe it was to be portrayed by one Sir Ben Kingsley. In a move in which i believe to be both bold and brilliant we learn that the Mandarin is not who we believe it to be. What will no doubt enrage the hardcore it seems that real villain is actually Guy Pierce's Aldric Killian and that the Mandarin is nothing but a creation of his designed to insight fear. When Black could of gone the somewhat obvious way of making the Mandarin some sort of middle eastern power he has taken the film in a direction that i feel is more adult than the previous films as it seems more intelligent then the comic book films that we are gifted every summer and is something i would like to see continue in the rest of Marvels phase 2 and 3 films. I think in making the films more than what some may assume just action films they will garner more widespread appeal. Aldric's evolution as a villain start right at the very beginning of the story and continues to grow throughout the film. Guy Pierce seems to enjoy himself in this role and will no doubt receive some a great many female fans from his performance. However i hope he told Ridley Scott that he was gonna borrow some of the tech from Prometheus im sure the Weyland corporation would have something to say about that.

What Shane Black and his team has done is to instead to trying to make a film bigger than the Avengers and in making it a more personal story have created a film that stands on its own two feet. Unlike Iron Man 2 which struggled being in the middle of Phase 1 and needed to sort of seed both Thor and Captain America this film is allowed to evolve Tony Starks character more and give you an ending which i definitely did not expect and am genuinely excited to where it can go next. Downey Jr IS Tony Stark and even though his contract appears to be up Marvel would be mad not to throw money at him to get him to return as now no one could see anyone else filling Starks suits.

I do have a few minor problem though i do think that the character of Maya Hansen who was an important character in the comics was almost criminally under used. With few appearances in the film and not alot of character development there was definitely something more that could have been done for her. The same could have been said for Col James Rhodes who featured prominently in the promo material wearing the Iron Patriot armour. We never really got to see him get going till just over mid way through the film which was dissapointing as i wanted to see more of the Iron Patriot and see what it was capable of but maybe just maybe thats being saved for Avengers 2.

Besides those few minor problems this is a fantastic and highly enjoyable film that established fans should enjoy and is a ideal jumping on point for people who have managed to evade all the other films. Whilst it doesnt reach the heights of the Avengers its still the best Iron Man film and deserved a solid 9.
  36. May 3, 2013
    Iron man 3 was a breath of fresh air when compared to recent comic book movies. As a personal fan od both the marvel cinematic universe and Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy; I enjoy action packed movies. While Iron Man 3 had some outstanding action and stunning CGI the main focus of the story was Tony Starks personal Journey. Without giving to much way I can also tell you that there are some EXTREMIS-ly (if u have seen the movie you will get that) surprising twists that add great depth to the plot. The standout however was the movies dramatic intensity and surprisingly humurous fun. Overall a fantastic film and a worthy end to the Iron Man Trilogy. 10 out of 10. Expand
  37. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ironman 3 was very fun and a great film to watch. I plan on seeing it in theaters more then once. It has humor and action. I loved every second of the movie Expand
  38. May 4, 2013
    Tenia muchas expectativas respecto a este film y todas se cumplieron a la perfección, Encuentro muy equilibrada la muestra entre el humor y la acción. Me encanto el enfoque que le dieron debido a que la película giro entorno al cambio hacia lo positivo de Tony Star y creo que fue un toque perfecto El poder compartir con otras personas y que enfrentara aquello que lo atormentaba desde el incidente en Nueva York Expand
  39. May 4, 2013
    Iron man 3 is a fun well filmed superhero move although at times the humor seems a bit much it almost never fails to make you laugh. The tone seems to be much darker than any previous marvel movie but it fits the place that Tony has to go. The one problem with the movie is the twist it had, comic book fans will not enjoy this twist I being one of them was able to get by it but really wish they didn't go that direction. Overall iron man 3 is great movie that may have one disapointing moment and too much humor it is still a fun great superhero movie to kick off the summer Expand
  40. May 5, 2013
    Plot Tony Stark has hit a bit of a lull in his life since saving the world in “Avengers Assemble”. As well as that a series of panic attacks, the threat of terrorism and a demon from Starks past threatens to push him to the very edge.

When the lights in the cinema went down and the screen sparked into life, it was official. Blockbuster season has begun...and with a great big bang and a
    few wisecracks so has Marvel’s Phase 2! So if anyone is unfamiliar with the phrasing; Phase 1 were the films leading to “Avengers Assemble” so Phase 2 is the next lot of films leading to “Avengers 2”.

So now that has been dealt with we can get going to the review. Eyebrows were raised when it was announced that Jon Favreau has stepped down from the Iron Man franchise. So filling his boots was “Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang” helmer, Shane Black who has cemented his legacy into the hearts of Marvel geeks everywhere. We are given a brilliant, funny, explosion filled tale of revenge, redemption and rebuilding.

A major theme of the film is Tony Starks newfound vulnerability and Black and co-writer Drew Pearce play with this throughout the film. There are large parts of the film where Stark is out of his supersuits (of which there are now 42!) and deprived of his flash lifestyle. It is a side of him that is completely different to the “genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist” of which we are so used to. It is a smart move, you have a multi million pound star in Robert Downey Jr and you go and cover him with a mask. It really gives Downey Jr a chance to showcase his acting talent and he impresses as well. There is a wonderful moment when Stark expresses his fears of losing Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow).

The plot may sound a bit like last years big threequel “The Dark Knight Rises” but there is a strong focus on fun throughout the film. The wisecracks are as frequent as ever (there are at least 3 Downton Abbey jokes) and there are even bits of slapstick here and there. Downey Jr is brilliant at keeping the comedy up but good at toning it down when it needs it.

As you may have noticed from the trailers, another major theme of “Iron Man 3” is revenge. Stark has his moments but the real epitome of revenge is baddie Aldrich Killian, played by Guy Pearce in his best performance for years. In the comics, Killian is one of the scientists behind the Extremis virus, a serum aimed at recreating the Super Soldier serum which created Captain America. This provides “Iron Man 3” with some exciting action sequences and special effects accompanied by“Terminator 2” like regrowing of limbs.

The other main cast members have a good film as well, Col. James Rhodes (Don Cheadle) is used as a major part of the plot this time around after being an afterthought for the first 2 films. However Rebecca Hall, who plays Dr. Maya Hansen, doesn’t get nearly enough screen time. This is also surprisingly the case for Ben Kingsley’s Mandarin. This is merely nitpicking though

There are many twists and turns but no spoilers will be divulged here! However if you haven’t seen “Avengers Assemble” you might not understand the finer points of the plot. It is by far the best film the Tony Stark/Iron Man character has appeared in and a lot of the credit goes to the Black/Pearce combination as well as Downey Jr himself with another great performance.
    Oh and there is an ingenious post credits scene.
  41. May 5, 2013
    I

I loved this Movie, I cannot begin to imagine why some people are giving it such bad reviews, I loved the what they did with the mandarin and the flash back sort of thing at the beginning, and from what I hear from friends there is something interesting after the credits and because I was foolish enough to leave before they had finished I sadly missed it, so if you haven't been to see
    it yet, I recommend you do and that you stay until after the credits. Expand
  42. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think iron man 3 is an amazing movie if super hero movies this will be an amazing movie for u and this was not a disappointment it's was surprise go see it its not a waste of money Expand
  43. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie defied every expectation I had for the film. Nothing that happened in this film even came close to what I thought was going to happen. It took me sleeping on it to come to the conclusion that this is the smartest Marvel film so far. Was I disappointed that there was no showdown with Iron Man and the Mandarin? At first, I was. Also, I was thrown off by the Extremis plot. But, after letting it simmer and thinking about the Marvel film universe, I think they did an amazing job with it. I see a lot of people hating on the fact that the Mandarin was not done properly. If you just view the film as it is, not as you were expecting, you may find that it was an enjoyable ride.

Also, the kid in the film reminded my of Sean Astin in The Goonies.
  44. May 6, 2013
    The action scenes are good, story is interesting and the effects are amazing. But you can guess who is the real bad guy just from the start of the movie, and sometimes the tension is more in front pages. But, it is a great movie besides these.
  45. May 10, 2013
    excellent in acting...action....comedy parts...story level little bit confusing but over all a complete entertainer.....first two iron man films does not have this level of action parts n comedy parts..........robert downey junior steals the show.... i love it
  46. May 17, 2013
    This probably must be the best Marvel movie yet I liked every aspect of it and I think you should go watch it .
    The only thing I didn't like was the music and that's why I'm giving it a 9 instead of a full 10.
  47. May 15, 2013
    Iron Man 3: Epic, Fun & Thrilling. A movie that every Marvel fan will keep in high esteem among themselves. A great first step on the verge of Phase 2.
  48. May 19, 2013
    Exciting, reverent and lively adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald classic indictment of nouveau rich extravagance and old money hubris in pre-depression New York is easily the best cinematic adaptation of the source material. Director Baz Lurman's signature kinetic style is on full display here, but less headache-inducing than in Romeo Juliet and Moulin Rougue. Elaborate party sequences, hair-raising driving scenes and an effectively anachronistic score keep the pace alive as the familair story works towards its tragic climax. Expand
  49. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Iron Man 3 so I was a little concerned going into the theater. However, in my opinion the movie was outstanding. The cast and characters were fantastic just like the first two and the plot developed well and, unlike the first two, didn't have so many plot holes. The villain was thankfully not a robot and had some depth as well, which was one of the biggest things Iron Man 2 lacked. There was also plenty of humor, actually, there was more humor than the first two combined and almost all of it felt well timed and fit into the flow of the film. There were a few jokes or quips that felt forced but for the most part there were a lot of laughs to go around. The only real area of weakness for the movie were the overpowered villains. *SPOILER* The villains were so OP it made watching certain battle sequences a little ridiculous. It shouldn't take several Mark suits to take out one of the villains henchmen. And like in the second film, their powers have a limited range (whip in part 2, the need to touch you in this one) so them being capable of going toe-to-toe, let alone overtake a Mark suit was kind of a joke. Nonetheless, the movie was fantastic and these weaker elements, while they sound like a big deal here, are really easy to look past. Expand
  50. Jun 5, 2013
    Really Really Really Really LOVE this movie. I wasn't getting the whole Iron Man hype, and when I went to see the midnight screening of this, I wasn't sure to expect. THEY WENT MASSIVE WITH IT. Honestly, Its such a great movie that left me thinking about it for days. The action and explosions were insane and the story was actually pretty great. LOVE it a lot. watch it, even if you dont like Iron Man! Collapse
  51. May 5, 2013
    Personally, this was my favorite installment of the Iron Man franchise. Does it feel like an Iron Man movie? Not really.Is it darker than the first two? Yes.

Iron Man 3 is definitely "A Shane Black Movie" rather than "A Marvel Movie" as his trademarks are "All over* this, but I enjoyed it a lot. I've seen other reviews that disliked the fact that it was so heavy and serious, but I have
    to disagree with that crowd, even though I can understand where they're coming from. The words "Dark and serious" mixed with "Superhero" don't exactly make sense. These types of movies are supposed to be relatively light and filled with nifty action sequences.

But if there's one character in the Marvel Universe that deserves to have the darker side of his story told; it's Tony Stark. They attempted to do so in Iron Man 2 with the hints of alcoholism and impending death, but failed---miserably in my opinion. With Iron Man 3, we get more into the modern day comics (Namely Matt Fraction's first few volumes of The Invincible Iron Man and Warren Ellis' beautifully written Extremis arc).

Again, I've seen reviews that didn't like the tone of the film, but I loved it! I liked the fact that we get to see Tony broken and vulnerable. It proves that, even though he's a superhero with awesome tech, he still still struggles with anxiety, guilt and other things like a "normal" person does. It humanizes him and given what he went through in "The Avengers", I found it to be a welcome change. I'm really happy that they chose to deal with his issues directly rather than sweeping them under the rug and forgetting about them altogether. We see Tony dealing with these issues and feelings all the time in the comics, so why not try it out on the screen?

As for it not following the comics: This is one *Major* gripe I've seen people have with the movie. I'll admit, I thought the plot would focus more heavily on the Extremis virus and how Tony integrates it into himself than it did, but it didn't really bother me too much. The thing I think people are most disappointed in (But nobody is brave enough to say) is both "The Twist" with the Mandarin (which has plenty of critics, but I think the real reason for the disappointment is with Extremis) and the fact that when the word "Extremis" was uttered, everyone thought they'd be getting something closer to Warren Ellis' storyline and they didn't.

About the only thing that bothered me was the use of flashbacks because it messed with the whole cinematic timeline of Iron Man as we know him, so there are a number of plotholes and inconsistencies throughout and if you're a die hard Iron Man comic person, that'll drive you crazy.

However, I still found it to be really enjoyable, plotholes and all. It's a fun and entertaining movie and in my view a great way to get the summer started! So if you can live with the fact there are plotholes and just have fun with it, it's a great movie. I recommend it!
  52. May 24, 2013
    I don't understand why people don't grasp the concept that this is a movie, and not everything has to be identical to the comics. The movie does a great job of taking characters created 60 years ago and turning them into believable in our time. If your complaint is misdirection, get over it. That was the point, to provide an experience, not cater to every comic fans need to be exactly like the comic. Expand
  53. May 25, 2013
    This is now one of my most favorite movies of all time! Iron Man is my favorite Marvel hero, besides Wolverine, and this was the best of them all! Going to see it again, this time in 3D!
  54. Aug 26, 2013
    I didn't like Iron Man 2, but 3 I love it.
    I hate sequels, I hate watching same characters, story. I thought it is another Iron Man same movie.
    but this movie is completely different movie what I was expecting, completely new different movie, ideas.
    That's what I love about it. Everything was great. Great villains, battle scenes.
    Robert Downey Jr. is great, just too perfect to be Iron
    Man.
    It really surprise me.
  55. Oct 14, 2013
    Another excellent movie from Marvel. Captures the essence of the comic book and character and is just a heck of a lot of fun to watch. It's got action, emotion, and humor. It manages to show the effects being a super hero is having on Tony, like the events of the Avengers and previous movies, and does it without all of the melodrama and whining that plagued Iron Man 2. It's very enjoyable and the references to the Avengers movie and the other Marvel films out like Thor is very appreciated. All in all it's just a great Marvel film and if you have any love of the character or universe then you'll love this movie. Expand
  56. Nov 11, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is a excellent movie. Its darker than previous movie. Robert Downey Jr. is as charismatic as ever. Special effects are higher than previous film.
  57. Sep 10, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is definately one of the strongest superhero sequels released on the Marvel universe. Not only it crosses the boundaries in general but it also remains it's freshness, which is rare for a sequel. It's so good, I don't even want to say that it's a big improvement over it's predecessor. It is indeed, but it's almost as if Iron Man 2 never existed, which is a great thing. As a huge fan of the original, I loved this one just as much as I loved the first one. The plot twist has divided some people, but overall I'm glad this movie was still praised by critics and audiences alike, which is something rare and spectacular due to the lukewarm reception of it's predecessor. It is the most serious of the franchise but also the funniest. As a personal story and as for comedic timing it strikes high on both of those aspects. Shane Black was able to step up this franchise for a more groudbreaking territory with its complex narrative and impressive action scenes that will remain in everyone's minds forever. Its cast still remains professional and seem to know their roles pretty well, even newcomers to this series Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce portray their roles with the required versitality. Expand
  58. Jun 26, 2013
    A sarcastically humorous action movie that starts out a bit slow, but does eventually pick up. They did not follow the books, but it was still a good family movie and the graphics I have to say, were not bad either.
  59. May 31, 2013
    I would say that this is my favorite Iron Man movie. Yes, the twist pissed me off, but I'm still trying to get over it. I'm not a big fan of the mark 42 suit, but I feel like it fits very well into this movie. Please don't hate this movie because of the plot twist.
  60. Jun 8, 2013
    This movie was awesome the best out of the series. It had a great story line and great action. The humor was also great I found myself laughing at everything. The best part though from my perspective) was the best. I love this movie I can't wait till it comes out on DVD so I can watch it when ever I want. U have to see it.
  61. Jun 11, 2013
    May is the starting month for summer blockbusters. "Iron Man 3" is the first one for this season and it does not let down. Rather than being a tie in to the other "Iron Man" films and "The Avengers," this Iron Man stands out completely on its own in merit. To summarize the overall plot of the new Iron Man, it is basically about the champ down on his luck who needs a comeback. Tony Stark's new nemesis is a mysterious terrorist known as the Mandarin, played in an out-of-character role by Ben Kingsley. After obliterating Stark's home and crippling his iron suits, Stark is forced on his own to survive and try to figure out a way to thwart the enemy's plans. We expect Stark to win and we know he will…he's Iron Man after all. Nevertheless, we want to see how he will triumph over his foes. A frequently overused plot device, it still somehow works and makes an intriguing movie.

Things are often predictable (as in most superhero flicks), but there are also some nice surprises. I thank Shane Black for his contribution as both writer and director for the movie. Jon Favreau is still in the picture as producer and Stark's trusting bodyguard Happy Hogan. Don Cheadle and Gwyneth Paltrow reprise their roles as Colonel Rhodes and Pepper Potts. Paltrow particularly breaks the norm from the typical damsel in distress and makes a stand with a fiery intensity. Guy Pearce and Rebecca Hall step in as new characters, and both seem to be just having fun with their roles (perhaps too much in some scenes).

The film moves at a steady pace. The action and humor is abundant. The VFX is meticulously impressive. The characters are solid. There is nothing more I can ask for in the big budget Super hero flick. "Iron Man 3" kicks off the summer season so far with a smashing success. I hope that "Star Trek Into Darkness" does as well later this month.
  62. Jun 11, 2013
    Everything I want from a summer blockbuster: Drama, romance, comedy, craaaazy plot-twists, great performances...and action. Action galore. Probably my favorite Marvel film to date...even above The Avengers.
  63. Jun 15, 2013
    Pretty split audiences' reaction towards this movie, which is a shame really considering the amount of work and care they took to maintain the Marvel's movie standard. A big task to follow up on one of the biggest movie franchise to date but the team behind Iron Man 3 took it as a challenge instead of an obstacle and simply went the other way and focus on the smaller stuff instead of trying to match the big spectacle before it. There are some big set-pieces that holds true to the capabilities of Marvel universe in putting you in awe but the remainders of the movie leans much more closer to a spy-thriller than the usual superhero cliches. It is not a bad thing at all to take a new direction but excluding myself, audiences might feel differently towards the risks taken in this movie, especially with that one big twist.
    Truth be told, the original canon is not suitable to be adapted in this day and age, with their aim in extending the Avengers movie franchise that's treading carefully between the 'real world' and the 'supernatural elements'. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie in 3D and loving every minute of it, including the end-credit scene which is bumming me out that it's just a playful scene but not doing much to extend this universe. Not perfect, but certainly one of the best to date!
  64. Jun 15, 2013
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes RDJ you never fail me. This movie was incredible....action packed.....funny and watchable oh yeh and a marvel movie. This movie got slack for its very unexpected twist which made me cry from laughter it's just sooo good to have an action movie that doesn't take everything so goddamn serious....DC
  65. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie rocks, and I am writing this after watching Man of Steel (a mega disappointment). This one is so much better than that at every level. The special effects rock see the way the suit clings to him and sometimes throws him offguard, also the climax is awesome. The acting rocks RDJ is clearly the master of his game here and others chip in with superb performances too. The story, screenplay and dialogues rock it sounds like how normal people speak and is laced with subtle humor at all places. Most importantly, the film has soul and connects with people, rather than being crash-boom-bang without any purpose. If you haven't seen it, you're clearly missing one of the best films of 2013. Expand
  66. Jun 17, 2013
    Fantastic. I loved this movie. Now that I have seen them both I can honestly say I like this movie better than man of steel. This movie had comedy. A good directed that knew what he was doing. And it had a lot of great action that wasn't to over the top. So basically the opposite of Man of steel. I thought this was a great movie that is good for the whole family. Don't listen to all those bandwagon mandarin fans. Go see this movie. Enjoy, laugh, eat some popcorn. I will say though. Their are some big twists in the movie. Some that I thought were way funny that they did. Some that I was kinda sad about. Still, go see it. I think you will enjoy Expand
  67. Jun 21, 2013
    I think out of all of the Iron Man movies, this was the best. This was a movie I would watch again tomorrow. Everything was good. The acting was good and the scenes were all good.
    The action was right up there to where you kept in your seat.
    I was never bored in the movie and I enjoyed the ending as you should.

We went and saw World War Z and that movie was not good at all. Iron man
    killed Brad Pitt. Expand
  68. Jul 14, 2013
    Great movie. In my Digital Fine Arts class a discussion about why Tony Stark and Iron Man weren't separate characters. I disagreed with a Theater Major Stating that The story isn't really about Iron Man It was about Starks hobbies and job interfering with his Relationship with Pepper. Tony Stark isn't Iron man until he puts the suit on. It was embarrassing that a college theater major wouldn't understand what a mask was!
    Director did a good job contrasting each relationship. Who is Superman P
  69. Aug 15, 2013
    Here’s another, critic wise, underappreciated movie. I won't link a trailer because I don't condone advertising pizza with pictures of ice cream. Seriously, don't expect the movie to take after the tone of the preview stuff.

THE PLAYERS

Happy Hogan He's the Jar-Jar of the Marvel Universe, with an uncontrollable badge fetish. He also survives a 3000 degree heat blast by ducking in
    front of a desk in a mall.
    Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow) is in there somewhere also, but she gets surprisingly little to do for the amount of screen time she gets. Her banter with Tony -who's again excellently played by RDJ- are good and that's kind of it. Oh, and he's basically half naked in the 2nd half of the movie.
    Iron Man's other partner and best friend, James "Rhodey" Rhodes, finally gets to show us that there's a badass under and without that grey iron suit. Don Cheadle should legally change his name to Still Not Terrence Howard ".
    Aldrich Killian. If spelling Cillian with a K doesn't give away that he's evil, the combed back hair and being played by Guy Pearce will. He's also the man behind the Extremis soldiers (super-powered men at day, ticking timebombs come night time).
    Ben Kingsley Dude can A-R-T-I-C-U-L-A-T-E and act ).
    And Robert Downey has a scene or two in here. He's snarky, talks fast and acts cool. After that he even tries to act. So he's great.

Play-by-Play

Where's Iron Man ?

No time for a house party. After Happy's long awaited coma time, Tony Stark takes matters into his own hands and informs the good people of his home address. So when enemy choppers trash his place why is did he act surprised and why wasn't he prepared with more than a prototype which can barely fly? If only he had a contingency plan Never mind, he took out a helicopter with a piano.Talk about a well orchestrated move. This is the only scene with Iron Man action in the first hour.

Side story with discount Macaulay Culkin. The child actor playing the kid is actually good and their moments together -for the most part- feel sincere ,but there’sa noticeable lack of Iron Man presence. At least we get to see Tony defeats an Extremis soldier with raw brain power (and a microwave).

PTSD BS. Tony is shown having panic attacks in the first half of the movie and freaks out when talking to children or driving. But when the time comes to blow everything up, he's cool. Because being MacGyver cures mental disorders.(The movie says so.)
    Spoiler! The "Mandarin" pulls a reverse Keyser Soze. I sincerely feel torn about this one. It's hilarious, because of the clever setup and execution, yet the decision itself to do this can be questionable. Also, every time this scene gets mentioned, a die hard comic nerd gets a stroke.Personally I learned to really like and appreciate the ingenuity as well as the delivery of it.

Fights, camera, action !

Some Hulk-proof barn doors can be found in America. Stopping indestructible propulsor-accelerated metal is what small town people are prepared for. At the same time, one of the most creative movie shootouts in recent memory is its result.
    Fool Pepper once, shame on her, fool me twice you brilliant motherf*cker. That prototype armor is good for something after all.
    The Iron Patriot. All I could hear when it was on screen was the Team America theme.But the movie also makes fun of it, so kudos to Shane Black, again. Then in the climax of the movie, a character is put into it. The suit clearly wasn't functioning at the time.After Rhodey having reclaimed it, he could fly away instantly. Also, he didn't quite bother to hurry back to help his friend fight against a compact army of Extremis soldiers.
    The end fight. Besides the dialogue being too joky for a life and death battle, this is on par with the best Marvel could offer. The lead-up wasn't perfectly logical with Tony and Rhodey sneaking into the villains hideout on foot, risking getting captured or killed, so that Shane Black gets to do 3 minutes of Lethal Weapon )

Clean slate.SPOILER for the ending It was a very grand and symbolic character moment and all, but the whole plot of the movie was an indicator for why the world needs Iron Man -and why Tony needs replacement suits-.

All in all, Shane Black ironed out most of the kinks that lead led to the fall of Iron Man 2, delivered on a very entertaining piece of cinema and made continuity fanboys throw out their Arc Reactor themed shirts. It's certainly up there with the first Iron Man while being unique compared to every other Marvel movie in terms of structure and execution. The. dialogue is witty, the action is entertaining and clever twists happen.

Note to Marvel After credits scenes are tedious at best. Not unlike this post review remark..

Just let it go.
  70. Sep 1, 2013
    Quite a few words: AWESOME, and one of the best iron man movies out of the three movies and if you count the avengers that would four. I would have posted this already but metacritic said i have to at least has to be 150 characters long
  71. Oct 27, 2013
    the best iron man movie and also one of the best movies of the year...... every inches of the movie is enjoyable, breathtaking and thrilling. the twists in the story are awesome. i don't know why a few people don't like the movie!!!!!!!!!
  72. Dec 21, 2013
    Almost perfect.Although I didn't like the ending, because it looks like there won't be Iron Man 4 :(
    Otherwise it's a nice movie, with great cast and super, astonishing visual and sound effects.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Iron Man 3 builds on the first film's political cynicism by suggesting that politicians and arms dealers dream up foreign policy crises to consolidate power and make money, but it doesn't develop this notion in detail, because if it did, the audience would tune out.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 3, 2013
    The action, directed by Shane Black, ranges from passable to interminable. The plot goes from clang to bang. Downey Jr. is still the best thing about this series.
    At least this time "Goopy" Paltrow gets to perform a few superheroics herself, along with enduring some heavy-duty torture that’s bound to please her haters — for whom the sight of the top of her face being peeled off in "Contagion" was like Christmas in July.