Warner Bros. | Release Date: October 3, 2019
Universal acclaim based on 4299 Ratings
4,017
Watch Now
JuneMinatsukiOct 19, 2019
The Joker: A Postmodernist Elegy of the Our Age of Spiritual Deficiency The Joker hype has been sweeping through various media for a while. The reviews are highly polarised. Before I heard people saying that you will either really love theThe Joker: A Postmodernist Elegy of the Our Age of Spiritual Deficiency The Joker hype has been sweeping through various media for a while. The reviews are highly polarised. Before I heard people saying that you will either really love the Joker, or really hate it. As someone who has been looking forward to the film ever since seeing the first trailer, finally yesterday I made my journey to the cinema and had a taste of the actual film. Well, in the end, I neither really love it nor hate it. If I have to describe my feeling, I would probably say…disappointed. So what is the Joker about? To sum up, it is a story about the absurdism of life, the death of hope, the absence of meaning, moral nihilism, political anarchy, and a celebration of chaos expressed and executed in an ultimate aesthetic ways via cinematic languages along with some of the most oppressive music I’ve heard in recent films. Much of these themes, if not all, reflect the fatal problematics of our post-modernist societies and cultures who envision the contemporary world as “an age of spiritual deficiency.” I don’t have any problems with films with a realist stand trying to explore the downfalls of our culture, society, and complexity of humanities. Actually I think that this is what good cinema should do. My problem with the Joker is exactly that it didn’t do any of these. Don’t get me wrong. I still think the Joker is a great art. Joaquin Phoenix’s acting is absolutely fantastic, the music and cinematography breathtaking. But it’s still poor character-writing in which the complexity of humanity is reduced to its pitiful negativities, as in the Joker, everyone is sick, mean and evil. The ones who see or believe in something good in life are either insane (Arthur’s mother and Arthur himself) or hypocritical (the upper-class men). The former was ridiculed and labeled funny, the latter only harvested social grudge. It is a sad movie. What is even sadder is the media sensation around the movie. Before the movie was marketed as an antithesis of the mainstream commercial films in the superhero genre. It is meant to be a “sub-culture,” a non-commercial thing. But ironically, look at it now! It is very much MAINSTREAM. Chatting with a friend who lamented over “the degradation of contemporary culture,” I also can’t stop thinking—what kind of society are we living in? What kind of mentality do our mass viewers have in order to “enjoy” and even “empathize” with such a depressing film? To give a final remark, I think the Joker is, although probably against its own will, a successful commercial popcorn movie, because there is no much there beyond the overwhelming sensual experience it evokes. Nevertheless, if one does think it is in any way different and more special than other commercial popcorn films, it is special only because it makes you feel so uneasy that you could hardly swallow any popcorns while watching it. Expand
LarslarsmainOct 16, 2019
I thought it was a little TOO dark. And honestly got a little bored. It could be seeing a third joker character in less than 5 years has made this less interesting.
nyran125tkOct 15, 2019
It was ok. For the type of controversy its getting, i was expecting something really realistic and dramatic on a much harder level than this. But to be honest, that train acene was just self defense, if it was a ounch or a knife or a gun,It was ok. For the type of controversy its getting, i was expecting something really realistic and dramatic on a much harder level than this. But to be honest, that train acene was just self defense, if it was a ounch or a knife or a gun, those guys deserved it and the carnage scenes where he shoots Robert Di Niro, that would be something The Joker would do to get attention anyway. I think The Dark Knight was way more interesting, fun to watch and had more deadly violence like blowing up.a hospital in a terrorost attack, was much more provoking than this. This Joker was a
Sad individual that eventually blamed his mom for everything. Fine. But the controversy surrounding this, is completrly ridicous. sick, twisteed, sad ind
RodukaOct 14, 2019
It's a movie about a guy that is really bad at something, but he thinks he's good. He fails in succeed, and then he blames everyone but him for his failure. And he decides to kill everyone who is honest with him, 'cause he can't be upset.It's a movie about a guy that is really bad at something, but he thinks he's good. He fails in succeed, and then he blames everyone but him for his failure. And he decides to kill everyone who is honest with him, 'cause he can't be upset. Original? No. Deep? Hell No! A masterpiece? Are you on crack? But I bet you've met a lot of young folks just like that, Don't you? Full of self pity, and no self-criticism. That's Joker. Now the technical aspects of the movie are good. The acting is over but pretty good, the cinematography is great and the music is the best part of it. And compared to other Marvel movies ... it's Apocalypse Now. But it's not the best Joker, not even the second best. It's not Phoenix's best work, not even his second best work. And it's not the best, not the second best, not even the third best movie I've seen this year. But if The Black Panther made it to the best movies list last year, why not this movie? Expand
JamesCollierOct 15, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting film to think about and worth watching for the cultural factor alone. We know that Arthur Fleck (Joaquin Phoenix) is the Joker and this is his origin film so I won't talk about the outline of the plot in chronological order. The club scenes where he is laughing at the wrong times and he cannot tell his own jokes later on for his uncontrollable laughter are some of the most compelling scenes in the film. The production values were all good as you would expect from a big studio picture. I liked the approach of making the film darker and grittier than your standard comic book movie, you really felt as if Gotham was this volcanic cesspit ready to erupt. The buildup of the revolution with the talk of garbage everywhere and the government closing Arthur's program down and cutting his medication, his 'crazy' mother Penny Fleck (Frances Conroy), this makes the altercation on the train where he kills the guys all the more understandable and real. Thomas Wayne (Brett Cullen) calling the lower class clowns, I can see an outcry but this definitely felt overblown for me with how they then viewed the subway killings and this clown figure which is Arthur as some messiah for them to follow and rebel against the upper class. I did like how Thomas Wayne appeared less like this benevolent god as he is always seemingly portrayed though.

However, the film felt very predictable and soulless for me. I didn't believe that Arthur and Thomas Wayne were related because his mother was obviously mentally disturbed and Frances Conroy is the stereotypical unstable or strange woman (Six Feet Under' and 'American Horror Story'). There was every chance they were related however with the inscription on the back of the photo of Penny by "T.W", either way the question becomes irrelavant because we know Arthur is an unreliable narrator and his path has been set because it is a film about the Joker's origins so it had to be this way. The worst parts of the movie were with Sophie Dumond (Zazie Beetz) but not because of her perfromance, she performed as well as anyone in the film, it was a solid ensemble performance but she was let down with a poor screenplay as were the rest of the cast. They showed Arthur was delusional before his encounters with Sophie and you are expected to believe they embrace in her doorway and after his laughing fit at the comedy club, she is seen a short while after laughing with him? It was far too obvious. but it is meant to be a big revelation that he imagined it, of course he did, he is a creep.

The biggest thing for me is I felt as if I was watching some 'Taxi Driver'-'The King of Comedy' mish mash to the point where it was not its own film for me. I thought the whole time that I would rather be watching those films and whilst I largely liked the final act, it was again so obvious that Arthur was going to kill Murray Franklin (Robert De Niro) to the point where I lost interest almost completely and I was not overwhelmed by some euphoric cinematic cruscendo of a moment when it happened, because it was typical. Arthur gets his chaos anyway and it is a decent character arc, they should have ended the film with the scene before Arthur is running around the corridors because where Arthur says something along the lines of "You wouldn't get it" in the room with the woman and then the song comes on, that was the perfect time to end it, that was very good. I had mixed feelings on showing Bruce Wayne's (Dante Pereira-Olson) parents being killed, simply because I have seen it so many times but I guess it was an alright idea to connect it to Arthur's character arc. I don't think Joker needed an origin film and this should be a mystery aka 'The Dark Knight', this is not to say I went into the film with an automatic disliking for the film because the film did have its merits and I love to keep an open mind to every film obviously, I just did not see the point of this film before going in and I largely feel the same after seeing the film. 'Logan' did for me what this film could not, a dark comic book film that felt like it was its own thing. I do not think I could give it more than a six being truthful, it does not resonate with me but its foundations are solid. I would forget the hype it has got but I would also especially forget the people criticising the violence. There are more violent films that have been made and that will be made, it is 2019 and we do not need the incessant attempts by people in the media industry who are saying that forms of media, e.g. Video Games, Films, TV shows, Podcasts and so on are directly responsible for every violent or illegal act committed. The evidence proves it is quite the contrary and it is a minority of already disturbed individuals in most cases.
ExemplisOct 10, 2019
Cinematography is superb, but this is not the Joker. Instead of a Nietzschean Superhuman, the destroyer of morality, the angel of chaos we get a pathetic sick loser getting wrecked by ordinary surcumstances. Wasted acting potential.
Endo21Oct 8, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although Joker leaves you wanting more at the end of the film, it also fails to keep you on the edge of your seat during the majority of it. Like a boxer who ends his rounds swinging hard during the last 30 seconds to gain favor in the judge's eyes. Joaquin does a great job interpreting the Joker when he finally gets to. However during most of the film rather than disturbed I only felt sorry for a man who, do to childhood trauma, let everyone walk all over him. The slightest rejection from anyone would trigger his hysteria. Surprisingly, they didn't add a scene where he buys an ice cream cone and as he gets his first taste the scoop completely falls and he has a panic attack. Hanging by a thread, thanks to his medication. When fundings for it are cut off and after finding out the truth about his mother. The Joker is born 90 mins into the movie. I sat thru it. At the theater I attended, I witness about 6-10 people leaving during the fist hour. When it was over an individual clapped, four about 8 seconds, when no one follow he stopped. Wasn't the worst movie I ever saw but definitely not a masterpiece. Expand
Agnew77Oct 5, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie has me battling with myself. I went in expecting to see the Joker from Batman, instead i saw a man suffering a mental breakdown. If the movie I had paid to see was titled as so I would be standing up shouting from the rooftops about the movie that portrayed the descendence of a mind into a place of despair. The acting would be top level and the feel and pace of the movie would have been perfect. Phoenix's portrayal is fantastic and is at times purposely cringe worthy watching. That being said I had went to watch a portrayal of Batmans arch nemesis The Joker. This was not even close to the character, he wasnt smart, in fact he appeared to have a learning difficulty, he was in no way close to the Joker of the comic franchise. As for the Batman timeline, the movie made no sense at all. It portrayed Bruce Wayne as 10 yrs old and Joker as approx 40yrs old. Joker shud be retiring when Batman gets going. As for the Wayne family name this movie doesnt treat it like the shining beacon in society, with suggestions of affairs and Thomas Wayne's public suggestion of Society being clowns.

This movie was as far as it could be from being a Batman movie

If u want to watch a movie about a man having a mental breakdown. Its well acted and directed, its pace slow enough to watch the breakdown happen in great detail.
As a movie its depicting that its 8 possibly 9/10

BUT it was supposed to be about the Joker, and if you want to watch the Joker from Batman then this isnt the movie for you, you should go and re watch Heath Ledger give a masterclass in the Dark Knight.
crnppsclsOct 19, 2019
It was ok. Some of the highlights were that Phoenix carried the whole film, and comfortably. The cinematography was so elegant to show the descent of Fleck into the abyss, as if to instil empathy in the viewer, bravo.
The score was
The score was atmospheric and i also enjoyed the stylising although it could've been set in the 60's and not the 80's.

Didn't love the screenplay. There were a few plot holes and the story simply wasn't engaging enough. It's like they try make you empathic to the protagonist by showing you his run of bad luck and fortune but he actually rides it pretty well.
The bouts of ultra violence are sporadic yet seem forced. Ultimately, the portrayal of how his psychosis manifests is not believable. If the movie was just called "Fleck" i wouldn't have bothered. It's been shelved in the 'ok but don't need to see it again' part of my brain along with Taxi driver, Requiem for a dream , Leaving las vegas etc.
Disappointing.
dredstimpsonOct 12, 2019
DON'T believe the hype. (by the way, nice job on marketing "people are walking out on this movie" - I KNOW why and if your're thinking it's because it's BORING, you would be right)
I honestly don't understand how some people can rate this
I honestly don't understand how some people can rate this movie a 10. (Even Goodfellas is not a 10, and I LOVE!!!! Goodfellas) Are they robo-reviews or from people who have never seen a movie before in their life and are just awestruck at the marvels of the cinema? I would have given this a 1 just to try to add balance, but 5 seems adequate. Here's why: Would I ever watch this movie movie again? short answer, NO; long answer NO.
Was it terrible, no, was it watchable, as a family drama, barely (not a big fan of family dramas)
Anyway, not a 10. Jacqueline Phoenix, Az. does a nice job at playing a tormented/delusional person. Cinematography was great, but that does not in itself make for a great movie. ( I can't really recall a set piece that stands out except for the ling stairs in the promo photo)
JerryTyOct 15, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Inconsistent with the movie itself and other Batman movies. Pathetic reasons to build the character that would make the joker the formidable enemy he is supposed to be. Bad sense ofexcusing his killing spring. Expand
Johnnybravo8125Oct 3, 2019
Very few parts felt like he was the Joker. The build up is slow and drawn out. Easily could have been thirty minutes shorter. The acting is great but the character is poorly written.
EqFistOct 3, 2019
Is it a Joker ?!

No, and again no ... Only the name is left of the character. Absolutely boring and dull film. Probably at Batman vs. Superman level. The atmosphere is extremely repulsive, depressing, which contributes to the unremarkable
Is it a Joker ?!

No, and again no ... Only the name is left of the character.

Absolutely boring and dull film. Probably at Batman vs. Superman level.
The atmosphere is extremely repulsive, depressing, which contributes to the unremarkable and the same type of soundtrack and painful florist from which gives death.

The film is a hodgepodge from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, which is extremely unsuccessful, it can be seen that Phillips is impotent in terms of ideas, this is evidenced by the weak script of the film, which works only because it shows the realities of the world. I personally was not interested in looking at it, because it’s already been wiped into holes.

The game is partially saved from despondency by the game of the Phoenix, it is not in vain that they consider him a good actor, but it could not do without replay, he does not pull on Oscar. The Ledger version is extremely far away.

As a result, we have a noticeably overestimated film, which in fact is one-time. There is no desire to review.
dan_murphy_93Oct 7, 2019
The acting from Joaquin Phoenix is absolutely incredible. It’s the perfect origin story for the perfect villain. Not a film for people who only want to watch happy clappy films.
denis-maxOct 13, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What good is the movie Joker?

Joaquin Phoenix. His powerful game, charisma, talent. In fact, the film is Joaquin's one-man show. All the rest are extras. Without charisma, thoughts, goals, and without coherent mono- or dialogues. The screenwriter and director honored everyone with just a couple of phrases and a couple of minutes of screen time. In the center He is Joaquin the Beautiful Joker. And it's interesting to watch.

Well, enough of the good.

There’s nothing more to look at. Even the scenery. Yes, the city was beautifully and naturalistic drawn. Naturalistic to the degree of everyday life. The city is like any suburb on which you walk on Saturday with a cigarette. No gothic, escalation, fear, noir. Gotham should be black, not gray!

So you wanted to achieve "immersion"? To take the hero as a neighbor in the chair? And the neighbor is boring. With all his problems. Which, perhaps, more than the Joker.

Ok, the scenery. The plot is boring and primitive and is made on the knee. Do you want me to tell him in one sentence? Kindly - "An underdeveloped psychopath commits several murders."

To paraphrase Mikhail Gorshenev - “This script is impeccably gray.”

Which is amazing. Or not surprising. Because there is no screenwriter as such. The script was written by 5 people. 5 people, Karl!

We redeem them in applause - Todd Phillips, Scott Silver, Bob Kane, Bill Finger, Jerry Robinson.

Let's go through the moronic moments of the script in large strokes.

Arthur Fleck - lives alone with a sick mother. At least twice sick. The disease that kills her and the one that makes her behavior deeply deviant. Like many lunatics of her age, she lives on obsessions and is bombarded with letters from Thomas Wayne, who is supposed to help her. Because She worked for him 30 years ago, and "the corporation does not abandon its own."

As it turns out, she was a servant and had an affair with Thomas Wayne, and Arthur was his illegitimate child. And she asks Wayne for help in order to get out of poverty and slightly extend her life on better medicines.

Poor psycho Arthur with eternal depression visits a crappy but free social psychiatrist. And he asks for more prescription drugs, as The 7 species that he is taking now do not help. In the eyes of the psychiatrist, contempt and a reflection of the same depression. Because her life was no better. But they don’t give pills for this. And think it over! To a beggar, as many as seven psychotropics and antidepressants are prescribed for free? Here they are "the horrors of Gotem." In Moscow, they give you a medical pat on the shoulder. And they will give aspirin. Will you be violent? Yes, then haldoperidol and shibari - at the expense of the establishment.

And here social psychiatry is closed and our hero loses pills. So I think - it will begin now. So began the cult "Donnie Darko", which means here "the plot will trample." **** you. It turns out the pills were a placebo, because the behavior of the protagonist changes approximately - no way. The effect of the tablets is not clear. If only they showed how an attack of laughter, after taking the mega-pill it stops and the person continues to communicate normally, and then in contrast they would show what would happen if the attack were not stopped - it would be understandable. Or they would show how a person breaks down with a failure syndrome and how this changes the hero. Or if the refusal of the pills gave rise to a gloomy intellect - but no, the underdeveloped psycho with confused thoughts and dyslexia remains so. If only this generated mega-power and deviant behavior - it would be noticeable and understandable. But no, by and large, nothing is changing.

The trouble came to Gotham. Arthur works on the street as a clown with ads. Hooligan teenagers take away a poster with an advertisement from clown Arthur and smash it. Arthur’s boss does not believe in juvenile delinquency and accuses Arthur of stealing a poster. A thing is rare and valuable. Everyone strives to steal her. And subtracts the cost of the sign from his RFP. Cruelty without limits.)) Just amazing.

The plot has a lot of opportunities - absolutely not realized.

A working social elevator.
The joker seems to be successfully performing at the stand-up, despite the initial bout of laughter. Moreover, he performs so well that he is invited to the show to his beloved comedian. The situation - a fracture, the destruction of the causes of depression, incomplete cycles - ended. Here is the watershed. Not. So the scriptwriter's brain does not work. Crazy does not change. The same depression and cigarettes. Murder and the desire to kill yourself on stage under the splendor of spotlights.

..to be continued.
Jlg1303Oct 12, 2019
Excelente actuación pero trama muy plana y predecible. No deja ese sentimiento de fascinación que tanto se espera al ir al cine.
Tucker53Oct 13, 2019
This movie was nothing like described. Very slow, no action for about half the movie. The ending was horrible. This movie was nothing like u would you would think a "Joker" movie would be.
Godslayer79Oct 3, 2019
Joaquin Phoenix's performance was outstanding. The movie itself was average at best. There was a point in the film were the dark tone was too much, predictable and exhausting. The social commentary and study in the film was also exaggerated.
abdallah9luluOct 5, 2019
i think it is overrated its a good movie nevertheless with great scenes but not good enough to deserve all that praise
AashiqOct 5, 2019
Every aspect of the movie seems to be working well only when looked at individually.
MuhammadElOrabiOct 13, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good acting but with an empty story , expected events and overdrawn direction
Totally I didn't enjoy although the high quality in the movie
katezoeOct 12, 2019
Worth seeing because of the performance by Joaquin Phoenix who will get an Oscar nomination. Movie about a what makes a psychopath....been done before and nothing new is revealed.
TejasNairOct 9, 2019
Despite the hardcore and jumpscare violence, the so-so portrayal of mental illness and its consequences when it goes untreated, the eerie score played on repeat, great dialogues 90% of which are polished as punchlines, the brilliant backstoryDespite the hardcore and jumpscare violence, the so-so portrayal of mental illness and its consequences when it goes untreated, the eerie score played on repeat, great dialogues 90% of which are polished as punchlines, the brilliant backstory of the DC universe, and a charming performance (of a life time) by Joaquin Phoenix, Joker was an underwhelming crime drama for me. TN. Expand
EumermoOct 9, 2019
Atuação excepcional, imagem excepcional, roteiro muito bem feito, história foge do clichê, é extremamente bom
xanderdeenOct 3, 2019
The film is ambitious and this is the best Joaquin has been since Inherant Vice, but the film itself is too self important and trying too hard to be edgy.
DaUnknownCriticOct 4, 2019
Joker has problems. Pun intended. And I’m not referring to Arthur Fleck, -Todd Phillips’ latest incarnation of the Clown Prince of Crime – but the picture itself.

As if the weight of 80 years in print or 5 decades on the screen weren’t

As if the weight of 80 years in print or 5 decades on the screen weren’t oceanically crushing enough, we now are served another incarnation of an antagonist as ubiquitously immortal as Moriarty or Hannibal Lecter. What more can be said? Is there any meat left on the bones of the mythology?

If one were to believe the marketing, we’re going to see a Taxi Driver meets The King of Comedy meets The French Connection. Sounds great, right? It would be, but it was marketing.

What Joker does deliver is a thin screed on mental illness in an even sicker society. This society in decline has sensibilities contemporary to our own, despite the trappings of the 1970’s which seem like an aesthetic afterthought. Those versed in Batlore are presented Warner Brothers intellectual property anchors to orient themselves in the expanding cinematic graphic novel universe, but they are halfhearted name dropping at best. Trappings.

At the heart of Joker is Arthur Fleck – ironically named. Joaquin Phoenix is masterful, more charming and sad than haunting. Despite his valiant energies, he’s not given much with which to work. Often times, he’s left to his own devices to soft shoe it to bridge scenes. No joke – Phoenix does quite a bit of improvisational dancing in Joker. Phillips and Scott Silver’s script give Phoenix very little to do other than riff on a psychological tick for two hours.

Arthur Fleck is a mental illness cliche. Abused, medicated and neurotic. There is no arc for Fleck. Fleck lurches from one unfortunate circumstance to another. There’s no growth, no descent into madness – just an already poor, disturbed, delusional Arthur. We are never given any reason to empathize with Fleck. An excellent counterpoint to this character is another Phoenix played, Theodore Twombly in Spike Jonze’s superior Her (2013). Twombly is equally marginalized like Fleck, but Jonze and Phoenix give us little glimpses of the character’s humanity in the midst of his existential horror. We never get those in Joker. We, like Arthur, receive unsatisfactory reveals with epic portent and paltry emotional punch.

Joker also lacks unifying tonal elements. Phillips can’t seem to decide if Joker is a moody, introspective independent character study or if it wants to wax epic. A solo cello pervades throughout the score, but at key moments Hildur Guðnadóttir seems to dial it up to full Zimmer. The production design is as anachronistic and as disjointed as the score. Everything feels dressed up, the elements are there but the mise-en-scène is missing. This world is too much our own. Joker is one of those rare pictures where the sum of its parts don’t equal the whole. I couldn’t help but think, why wasn’t it shot on film stock using vintage lenses? Though there is not much CGI, Joker is very crisp, very digital and that works against it.

One thing that does work is the vintage music. One can imagine the creative possibilities of what wanted to be a lyrical, musical picture edited around classic songs. That was a glaringly missed opportunity.

Zazie Beetz is all but an afterthought in this picture, a wasted talent and a virtual plot device.

Phillips’ Coup de Gras in this disjointed ramble through mental illness mythology is an equally disjointed monologue at the end. I’ll not spoil it, but it’s a cheap, self conscious, point blank expository shot at society. There’s no teeth to it, it’s not menacing at all. It’s banal and abrupt. For those that wish or worry that this film will be the Anarchist, Alt-Right or Incel manifesto … don’t. This film just isn’t that smart or that creative. There’s a denouement, but there’s not much to it other than cinematic padding.

If you pay close attention, you’ll see little homages to The King of Comedy, The Dark Knight, Psycho and Network. They’re not egregiously plagiaristic, just flair for the sake of flair. The Era of Easter Eggs needs to end.

On the up side, the 20 minutes of trailers prior to Joker was exciting. A breath of fresh, serious cinematic air after a long hot Summer of Spandex.

On a scale of 5, I give Joker a 2.75 and charitably round it up to 3.

I’d wait for a $2.99 Amazon Prime rental for this one, folks. Hell, maybe just wait for Netflix.

As old blue eyed Sinatra said, That’s Life.
ofnir22Oct 10, 2019
Not great. Not terrible, Just another movie. As a villan lacks of his hero counterpart. as an antihero its just ok. the main problem for me is the bad character evolution during the movie. phoenix perfomance is pretty good, the are some goodNot great. Not terrible, Just another movie. As a villan lacks of his hero counterpart. as an antihero its just ok. the main problem for me is the bad character evolution during the movie. phoenix perfomance is pretty good, the are some good dialogues and i think the controversy of violence in the movie is just **** Expand
RaytheOct 4, 2019
It is nothing but a bore and is hiding behind the fame of ledgers joker the influence of taxi driver and the Phau intellectualism of a first year philosophy major at college the cinematography and acting is good though.
Megajohn85Oct 3, 2019
A Martin Scorsese film with a Joker DLC skin slapped on. Hardly original. I know Phillips said King of Comedy and Taxi Driver were influences for the film but damn He really must be a lazy screenwriter/director because this film leans tooA Martin Scorsese film with a Joker DLC skin slapped on. Hardly original. I know Phillips said King of Comedy and Taxi Driver were influences for the film but damn He really must be a lazy screenwriter/director because this film leans too hard on trying to be a Scorsese film. Expand
Farwell3dOct 6, 2019
Very good lead performance + very mediocre script + a good cast + boring direction + good cinematography = the most over hyped 6/10 movie ever.
AlexCuencaOct 8, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ha sido una de las películas más esperadas y mejores comentarios ha recibido en esta temporada, muchos llegan a decir que es un obra maestra y pues si está película es muy cruda y pues muchas personas debieron identificarse con con la forma que (Arthur), se convirtió en el Joker, de una payaso no malo, pero que le iba mal y que poco a poco fue perdiendo la razón , una persona que consumía las medicamentos para el comportamiento, y cuando dejó de ser amable de desató toda una mente criminal, los asesinatos son crudos y fuertes algo que los espectadores, el detalles más jugoso fue cuando aparece Batman de niño y como un delincuente con máscara de payaso les dispara, la interpretación lograda del Guason es diferente a todo antes visto es un personaje rehumano, con el que una persona se puede identificar. 5 puntos bien merecidos Expand
ManormanOct 9, 2019
The movie felt like it had a lot of plot covinient moments and characters and by that I mean that stuff just happens to the main character for no reason at all except to artificially continue the plot in a cheap way not to mention a lot ofThe movie felt like it had a lot of plot covinient moments and characters and by that I mean that stuff just happens to the main character for no reason at all except to artificially continue the plot in a cheap way not to mention a lot of the characters are just there for again plot convinient.None of the characters except for ,Arthur, have any real significance or interesting stuff to them,They are litetarally just there to continue the plot in a cheap way that makes it very unsatisfying not to mention all Arthur does for most of the movie is nothing,most of the scenes in the movie is just there to purely show how oscar baity this movie truly is .This movie would lead you believe we'll see Arthur as a character but all we see are this style over substance scenes not to mention the dialoge is very weak in the beginning and only gets decent at the end and is not just the dialoge but the whole movie gets a little bit better towards the end and his so call transition through insanity isn't as good,for the simple fact that Arthur does absolutly nothing to tell us that he was even "normal" to beggin with.Theres absolutly nothing that makes this so call transition good because this movie does nothing with Arthur.The only real scenes where style and substance are somewhat balance are the scenes were Arthur is with his therapist.This movie is purely style over substance. Expand
Andromeda4482Oct 10, 2019
This movie lacks substance - Everything that was done right in the previous interpretations of the Joker wasn't present here. I found myself only enjoying the end of the film. This movie however does have some of the best cinematography I'veThis movie lacks substance - Everything that was done right in the previous interpretations of the Joker wasn't present here. I found myself only enjoying the end of the film. This movie however does have some of the best cinematography I've seen in a film this year. Expand
LordIllQuillOct 8, 2019
From the second Joaquin Phoenix appears onscreen, you see how hard he's "acting" and can predict everything that's going to happen in the film going forward. If all you wanted in a Joker film was a crazy guy in face-paint doing bad things inFrom the second Joaquin Phoenix appears onscreen, you see how hard he's "acting" and can predict everything that's going to happen in the film going forward. If all you wanted in a Joker film was a crazy guy in face-paint doing bad things in the name of a half-baked philosophy that boils down to "everyone is mean, and all mean people should die," then this is the movie for you. But if you wanted a Joker that's complex and menacing (a la Heath Ledger) this is a waste of time. Would this Joker walk into a room full of criminals and "make a pencil disappear"? No. This Joker has no skills, no intelligence, nothing that makes him likable or even intimidating. In fact, if you take away his gun, this Joker is just a punching bag. What kind of arch-enemy for Batman is he supposed to be? There were so many opportunities to make Joker more than just the one-dimensional psychopath everyone sees him as. Why not make him a master chemist who was underestimated and disregarded because of his "mental condition"? That could have explained the Laughing Gas, the acid, and the other deadly devices the Joker uses. Instead, we got this lazy homage to people who want to burn the world down because others don't fall over themselves to be their friend. It was marginally entertaining, hence the 4, but I couldn't even sit through to the end because it's so predictable and uninspired. Expand
oIHLoOct 4, 2019
A bold, fascinating while problematic and, worst of all, manipulative portrait of a d deranged man. A certain subplot and subsequent it-is-not-my-fault mentality really bothered me.
RyconOct 3, 2019
Authentic Joker portrayal that seemed more like Hitchcock than a DC universe. Dark tones pulled me into Joker’s free fall into madness. Phoenix deserves an Oscar...as well as other actors in the movie..DeNiro! This movie is just lights outAuthentic Joker portrayal that seemed more like Hitchcock than a DC universe. Dark tones pulled me into Joker’s free fall into madness. Phoenix deserves an Oscar...as well as other actors in the movie..DeNiro! This movie is just lights out dark; Phoenix is emaciated and haunted by psychotic delusions; his reality is not reliable...not funny...theater was quiet...wow..it’s a dark uncharacteristic Hitchcock movie in a DC universe Expand
NearOct 8, 2019
Underwhelming. It is a really competent movie, the acting and musics are very solid. It's not about how it is done, it is about what it is done. It's a +2 hour movie that could have really been one hour and a half. I got bored halfwayUnderwhelming. It is a really competent movie, the acting and musics are very solid. It's not about how it is done, it is about what it is done. It's a +2 hour movie that could have really been one hour and a half. I got bored halfway through, which is a really bad sign. I get that this is an origin story, but I would have liked to see a little bit more of the Joker and less of Arthur. Expand
TVJerryOct 8, 2019
Joaquin Phoenix is the latest prominent actor to put their twisted spin on the Batman villain.This version takes a look into the genesis of the notorious psychopath. He works as a clown by day, while aspiring to be a stand-up comic. ManyJoaquin Phoenix is the latest prominent actor to put their twisted spin on the Batman villain.This version takes a look into the genesis of the notorious psychopath. He works as a clown by day, while aspiring to be a stand-up comic. Many blows (both physical and mental) conspire to create the twisted soul that evolves. Phoenix goes all out, creating a creepy character without much empathy. More important, this film is a profile of a disturbed mind, not the typical DC Comic adventure. There's no "action" and a few flashes of violence, but MANY more moments of the actor working hard for his Oscar. Unfortunately, the movie's script and overall vibe downgrade it from being brilliant or even mildly compelling to mostly insufferable. Expand
tim27577Oct 5, 2019
Joker is a movie that thinks it has a lot to say and fancies itself The Social Commentary Of Our Time, but in reality it’s a mishmash of Hot Button Social Issues without anything interesting to say at all. So, in that respect, it’s theJoker is a movie that thinks it has a lot to say and fancies itself The Social Commentary Of Our Time, but in reality it’s a mishmash of Hot Button Social Issues without anything interesting to say at all. So, in that respect, it’s the perfect movie for 2019. Joker is our comeuppance. WAKE UP AMERICA! Expand
AAguil00Oct 5, 2019
A great work of art and cinema. Emotional, great performances, a journey into madness that challenges the viewer.
netflicOct 21, 2019
I am not a big fan of comic book movies or superhero vs. super-villain ones.
I am not a big fan of comic book movies or superhero vs. super-villain ones.
Even though the action happens in the imaginary City of Gotham, this film does not fit properly into that category. There is no hero in the movie, and the Joker is hardly THE villain.

Without spoiling the movie I would like to mention that I do not agree with all the hype about it. Especially with its moral and political message.

The movie is done extremely well technically. Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor (what a surprise!). Is it his best role? I don't think so. For an actor of his caliber it is not that difficult to play a mentally disturbed person. No doubt, he carries the whole film.

I did not like the script except the very end of it that puts the whole content into a question. Did it ALL happen? Or was it just a hallucination of a sick mind?

As a serious movie it is not working. But you cannot expect if from Marvel series.
As piece of entertainment, it definitely found huge audience. Me excluded.

I do not regret that I saw it. But I will not want to see it the second time.
Your mileage might vary.
judahjsnOct 7, 2019
Phoenix's performance is incredible but it's wasted on this fake deep and immature movie. It's seems irresponsible to handle such weighty topics as mental illness, class warfare and domestic terrorism with an approach this fake deep. ThisPhoenix's performance is incredible but it's wasted on this fake deep and immature movie. It's seems irresponsible to handle such weighty topics as mental illness, class warfare and domestic terrorism with an approach this fake deep. This feels like a treatise on anarchism written by a high schooler. Many people are calling it one note and it's true that it is one long minor chord. But it's also tonally inconsistent with itself. Violence is handled with ultra-realism. Everything else is distorted into a melancholy comic book-like sepia to the point that life has no grace notes and everything is dirty and cloudy. You could make the case that that's a representation of the Joker's mental state – he repeatedly says in the film that he's never experienced a good moment in his life. But does that even make sense? If all of his feelings are sour, then that's his baseline. How does he qualify experience as negative if he has nothing better to compare it to? Expand
fbnaulinOct 4, 2019
Great background for the character to develope, sadly, director and writers didn't know what to do when the story needed to keep going. Every scene and dialog in the second half makes you feel idiot or ashamed, due to its simplicity, idiocy,Great background for the character to develope, sadly, director and writers didn't know what to do when the story needed to keep going. Every scene and dialog in the second half makes you feel idiot or ashamed, due to its simplicity, idiocy, and unbelief. Flashback sequences are the worst offender. Expand
moviemitch96Oct 4, 2019
Given my constant disappointment with most of DC's films recently, I was skeptical from the get go about this film. I'm definitely burnt out on origin stories lately, and furthermore, I've always liked Joaquin Phoenix as an actor, but IGiven my constant disappointment with most of DC's films recently, I was skeptical from the get go about this film. I'm definitely burnt out on origin stories lately, and furthermore, I've always liked Joaquin Phoenix as an actor, but I wasn't too sure if he'd have what it takes to get this iconic role just right, something only 'The Dark Knight's' Heath Ledger has managed to do so far in my opinion. After seeing this... I can confidently say that I really could've done without this film. I found myself thoroughly unimpressed with just about every scene, moment, etc. The entire film felt sleazy to a fault, seeming content to wallow in its own filth and misery. In addition, the film definitely seemed like it was short on ideas, which would explain why half the film seemingly consisted of scenes of Phoenix doing nothing but dancing, laughing manically, and acting like a fool. It really felt like nothing more than an excuse for him to act like his usual weird self for two long hours. For those hoping that he'd live up to the hype that he supposedly surpasses Ledger's performance as the Joker, in my eyes, it's no contest. Ledger is still far and out the superior performance. I could tell Phoenix was having fun with his take on the character, but that's about it. Overall, not only did this film feel quite unnecessary, to me, it was also self-pitying and forgettable. Expand
Brent_MarchantOct 4, 2019
Despite a mostly solid (though occasionally hammy) performance by Joaquin Phoenix and an excellent production design, this much-awaited origin story about Batman's vile nemesis falls short on a number of other levels. Problems with unevenDespite a mostly solid (though occasionally hammy) performance by Joaquin Phoenix and an excellent production design, this much-awaited origin story about Batman's vile nemesis falls short on a number of other levels. Problems with uneven pacing, mishandled back story revelations, heavy-handed sociopolitical allegories, excessive narrative elements, violence bordering on gratuitous and plot holes aplenty all conspire to weaken an otherwise-ambitious story aimed at taking the comic book genre in a new direction. What's more, the film features an ending that's out of place compared to the apparent climax that preceded it. And then there are derivative elements taken almost verbatim from a variety of other pictures, including "Falling Down," "Network" and "The King of Comedy," among others. But what's perhaps most distressing is the message the film sends, one that's dangerous, even if accurate in its depiction of the state of affairs in the US today. What this film gets right is impressive, but, unfortunately, there's not enough of that compared the package overall. Expand
ohnomrbillOct 15, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. loved this powerful movie only until it was not clear what was really happening and what was only in his mind. they sabotage most of the action by suggesting much of it was possibly in his overactive imagination, WTF? sorry, for me, that killed the movie. Expand
AmirhosseinghOct 6, 2019
My Biggest Problem with this is that this is not faithful to its source.its just uising a popular comicbook character name to guarantee its sell.you joker is not a crazy man who is the nemesis if batman in this movie.its just victim that youMy Biggest Problem with this is that this is not faithful to its source.its just uising a popular comicbook character name to guarantee its sell.you joker is not a crazy man who is the nemesis if batman in this movie.its just victim that you can be sympathic to him.however,plot twist in this movie is unacceptable for Comic fans.I dont why joker fanboys are like that.its fan score is more than The Dark Kight now!!!! Expand
Taser123Oct 14, 2019
Not a bad film but surely an overrated one. I really don't understand why it's considered a masterpiece. The only actor in this film that does an excellent job is Phoenix, giving an awesome, gripping, Oscar worthy performance. Aside fromNot a bad film but surely an overrated one. I really don't understand why it's considered a masterpiece. The only actor in this film that does an excellent job is Phoenix, giving an awesome, gripping, Oscar worthy performance. Aside from that, the film is missing another 30 minutes of character development for Arthur Fleck at least. His transition is too quick. That said, this isn't the Joker. It's a 21st century rendition of Taxi Driver, designed to make loads of cash by having Joker's image plastered all over. The rioting makes no sense, and cannot be excused by having someone say "It's Gotham so it makes sense." The idea that the media would put a murder of three businessmen on the front pages and give it such a wide coverage in an already murder-infested town of Gotham barely makes any sense. Also, easily one of the worst things about this film is, they spoiled ALL of the "epic" lines in the trailers. The script isn't really anything to make you amazed or perk your eyebrows. It kind of seems that the director had a good vision, but got lazy halfway into the making of this film. There isn't a single scene in this film that would make me go back to it, not a single scene that made my hairs stand up or anything like that. Not gonna watch it again. Expand
dsafaniOct 4, 2019
I went to see joker expecting fun family fun.

Was there fun? Was there family? I'll just say this: For a family fun movie... this movie had minimal families, and un-fun. "Joker" is anything but. Most of his jokes involve mean bad things
I went to see joker expecting fun family fun.

Was there fun?

Was there family?

I'll just say this:

For a family fun movie... this movie had minimal families, and un-fun. "Joker" is anything but. Most of his jokes involve mean bad things that I personally. don't. want. my kids. to know. about.

Example of how a scene COULD have gone

Joker: "Knock knock, it's me, the joking joker"
Man: "Who?? Get away, I don't know any joker"

This scene would have illustrated the nature of jokes.

The movie completely falls apart in the 78th act. "Joker" begins as a mild mannered man, but he ends as a medium tangy spicy mannered man. This was my favorite part of the movie -- the spice is just what I needed to spice up my life. That's when I made a realization -- am *I* the jokers? Let me explain...

On the surface, "Joker" seems like it's just a movie about the difficulties of clown. However, when you delve a little deeper, you'll realize that the movie theater seats are not comfortable and the arm rests do not raise. Most of the seats cannot even hold a large drink, so why even sell them in that theater?

Okay so now lets get to the negative part of the review. At exactly 1 hour and 38 minutes into the film, you can clearly see a baby smoking in the bottom right part of the screen. That's when I draw the line. A baby smoking? I then look over at my 38 year old baby and I see he picked up this trait from the movie. I don't want to spoil anything but I don't like the fact that he died at the end. Not even in a cool way. Dude just trips. Now if he tripped on a banana, then I would understand the joke. But now I sit here in my **** dimmly lit 400 sq ft apartment with my two kids and I am still trying to figure out what the joke was of this movie. Overall I think this movie is 10/10. I guess you could say that "joker" was a movie that really CLOWNED me?
JLuis_001Oct 4, 2019
The message Joker appears to give it's simple: If you're laughing of me instead of with me then you will suffer and despair because of me. A harsh and obscure statement but it's not away from reality.

For comic book readers this film can be

For comic book readers this film can be considered as a story of the disappeared Elseworlds label or the new DC Black Label. However, there's something that bothers me a lot about it and that is that Joker itself has nothing of the Joker.

Although the film seems to take certain inspirations from the character's stories, especially The Killing Joke, in a way, an essential way, Todd Phillips created the story of a mentally ill person and disguised him as the Joker and that's a problem because although it addresses a different perspective of the character's beginnings, in reality the Joker, the image itself is just a simple collateral element of the film's character's job.

The clown means nothing, not even in the political and social context that the director tried to give to his story.
The clown is only the chosen costume. It could have been something else but that ultimately wouldn't have been the Joker and believe me when I tell you that a film about a mentally ill person with murderous tendencies is much more commercial when you sell it as a famous character, than if you had only made a film about a mentally ill person with murderous tendencies.

Unfortunately Joker is an interesting story of misery and rot but unable to be more provocative and frankly the story is barely enough to compensate for the entire film. It's the performance of Joaquin Phoenix that sustains it.
Todd Phillips makes clear how limited he is as a filmmaker because he never achieves a memorable or spectacular scene, he just drives the story while letting Phoenix do his job. No one else in the cast is relevant, not even De Niro, they're just people around Arthur Fleck and his mental descent which reaches its breaking point in that violent final stretch but unfortunately never feels like the Joker, or at least the Joker who has always been known.

Joker isn't a bad film at all but I don't see nothing great either.
It's a different perspective and a different approach to comic book adaptations and shows that contrasting takes can be made with such stories and characters and for me that's a good thing.

And personally despite the good work of Phoenix and although the comparison might be unfair, Heath Ledger's performance remains unrivaled.
chem11Oct 5, 2019
This film is nice reference to Scorsese’s film. Starting from screen play up to some visual decisions and composition. Some storylines are seems a bit spare to all story. They’re just for ( maybe) future connections to cinematic universe.This film is nice reference to Scorsese’s film. Starting from screen play up to some visual decisions and composition. Some storylines are seems a bit spare to all story. They’re just for ( maybe) future connections to cinematic universe. This is film of our time, contemporary. Scorsese never wouldn’t film something like this, but is it good? Expand
elyoalejoOct 20, 2019
Trama compleja e interesante. Sobrevalorada por los medios. Le hace falta mucho.
SgtviperOct 13, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was interesting to see the Joker get a standalone film. I feel as if people over hyped the film not to say it was bad. There were some scenes in the film that felt unnecessary but what made it worth it was exposure of Arthur's mentality. The idea of having a monster come from a society that is supposed to be normal was exceptional. The constant laughing was somewhat annoying though I'd let that slide. Another thing worth mentioning was Arthur killing his adoptive mother, it wasn't dramatic enough. I will give the writers praise for how Thomas Wayne and Arthur met, simply gold. I understand that most of the way how the character was used wasn't based from the comics but it's fun to see things from a different perspective. If there is a sequel to be intact in the future, moving the storyline from the comics wouldn't be bad as long as it's not too far from the source. Expand
LaMacheOct 7, 2019
Esse filme é um desastre, passando uma mensagem completamente errada, fazendo-nos apoiar sua ideologia sem que percebermos, acabando com personagens como Thomas Wayne e Alfred Pennyworth, transformando essas duas pessoas exemplares em grandesEsse filme é um desastre, passando uma mensagem completamente errada, fazendo-nos apoiar sua ideologia sem que percebermos, acabando com personagens como Thomas Wayne e Alfred Pennyworth, transformando essas duas pessoas exemplares em grandes babacas.

Em contra-partida, a direção de arte é boa, a atuação de todos os atores é excelente, principalmente Joaquin Phoenix, e a trilha sonora é boa.
Space84rmOct 5, 2019
Il film nel complesso e un bellissimo film ma perde nel momento in cui capisci che il titolo joker è stato dato semplicemente per riempire la sala, se togliervi le ultime due scene finali che lo ricollegano al mondo DC l'avrebbero potutoIl film nel complesso e un bellissimo film ma perde nel momento in cui capisci che il titolo joker è stato dato semplicemente per riempire la sala, se togliervi le ultime due scene finali che lo ricollegano al mondo DC l'avrebbero potuto chiamare in qualsiasi altro modo e avrebbe avuto lo stesso identico risultato. Ottima recitazione e fotografia. Expand
PaulxavierfosteOct 14, 2019
Kritik an Gesellschaft gut, Joaquin Phoenix geil, der Rest nicht... Leider, ich bin sehr enttäuscht
KanjahliOct 4, 2019
This movie is the greatest thing I’ve ever witnessed in my entire life. I’m just thrilled with Joaquins performance
RedizOct 4, 2019
It was an awesome drama with some elements of the comics. Great movie overall.
User6IOct 4, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wanted for this movie to be great, it could have been good, instead it was almost too boring ,being saved by it's confusing plot. I understood what it wanted to portray. Unfortunately all the numerous great things about this movie didn't helped. The movie didn't need more action, it could have been even more chaotic and confusing, but even as it is, it needed something "violent" or something special at the beginning that would have kept me invested.The IP has so much potential, the movie could have been going in so many directions...
Arthur is not or it is a tragic and very unLUCKY man and that's ok but not very interesting... One important note here is my problem with the conclusion of this story: how is this weak and sick man supposed to be the antagonist of batman or even of a policeman. Such a disappointment.
Decimator94Oct 5, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was an OK movie, it was definitely not bad, but it felt shallow and empty. It was definitely saved by Joaquin Phoenix's performance. The backstory of the Joker feels kinda repetitive and takes too much time to get to the point everyone expects. Last act felt like it was no Joker at all but someone straight from Rupaul's Drag Race. Mannerisms were off the charts.

This movie just really had no point to exist, it showed us nothing new or nothing we didn't expect already. It's just a movie about already highly violent man, who blames the society (which is also depicted way over the top) for his actions. Cannot really recommend unless you like strong performances.
RctOct 6, 2019
An amazing adaptation and much needed thorough, engrossing look into the backstory of one of today's most iconic villains. Such a relevant piece that connects characters to the real world better than most.
Chrisjohnson01Oct 7, 2019
While the performances, music and the overall shot composition are pretty great, The script really holds the film back. There are so many moments where the film makes massive leaps in logic that made me feel more confused and frustrated thenWhile the performances, music and the overall shot composition are pretty great, The script really holds the film back. There are so many moments where the film makes massive leaps in logic that made me feel more confused and frustrated then enthralled in the narrative. Arthur's motives are defined in the loosest possible terms and do not match what the end of the film is trying to say about this version of Gotham. I would recommend that you go and see it for yourself, but if all you have is a slight interest in the film, you may be able to just wait until it releases on blu ray Expand
GeziOct 7, 2019
Good stand alone film but as an origin story for one of the most diabolical villain minds ever, it lacks.

It is well done but repetitive. There is a minor arch in the character but mostly it is the story of a suicidal smoker
elbkkOct 9, 2019
One of the best versions of Joker I’ve ever seen! The acting, soundtrack, writing, and cinematography are amazing
sekharsingh88Oct 9, 2019
Bwst movie of joker, that depression thing has portrayed very nicely. Phoenix rhe character he played, no one could done it better.
kotlohOct 20, 2019
Только что пришёл с сеанса, фильм просто хреновый. Он пытается сделать социальный комментарий, но обдристывает штаны и получается херня. Я бы сравнил данный фильм с так мной нелюбимым "Бойцовским клубом". Оба фильма про восстанияТолько что пришёл с сеанса, фильм просто хреновый. Он пытается сделать социальный комментарий, но обдристывает штаны и получается херня. Я бы сравнил данный фильм с так мной нелюбимым "Бойцовским клубом". Оба фильма про восстания недо-анархистов с косвенным лидером-психом, только "Клуб" делает упор на восстании, социуме и философии, а Джокер ставит во главу угла самого психа, а восстание ставит на второй план.
Фильм ничего не пытается сказать, он просто показывает Артура, как человека, у которого были психические отклонения (идущие от детства, где его били), а когда отдел соц-помощи психованным сократили и Артуру перестали давать таблетки - он сдурел, т.е. фильм рассказывает о психе, которому перестали помогать мед.помощью и он начал убивать людей, так как он псих, офигенная концепция (нет).
Актёрская игра Хоакина Феникса божественна, надеюсь ему за этот фильм дадут оскар; Операторская работа в фильме тоже на высшем уровне... А сам фильм крайне посредственный:
Моя, никому не нужная оценка - 4/10 (1 балл за музыкальное сопровождение, 2 балла за актёрскую игру главного персонажа и 1 балл за операторскую работу, итого - 4). Фильм - глупая, агрессивно-депрессивная жвачка для мозга, не советую
goikyOct 20, 2019
People praising this movie as the movie of the year or will be talked about for decades could not be sucking Todd Phillip's dick more. The story and pacing drags, gets boring at times, and although the final act is great the build up isn'tPeople praising this movie as the movie of the year or will be talked about for decades could not be sucking Todd Phillip's dick more. The story and pacing drags, gets boring at times, and although the final act is great the build up isn't worth it. There are some scenes and little choices that make you appreciate the thought that went into this movie, but those moments are scarce and like looking for a needle in a haystack. Phoenix's performance may save this film from getting any lower than it got, but as a Joker fan it's just straight up disappointing to watch. I would not watch it again! It genuinely makes me sad because this movie has a lot of potential but it just fails so spectacularly that it's hard to watch or think about. I like Joker (the character) a lot. Possibly my favorite villain of all time. This movie? Sucks. Expand
andresyeikhaOct 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the great joaquin phoenix and todd philips. don’t care about metacriticn audience decide Expand