Roadside Attractions | Release Date: September 27, 2019
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 42 Ratings
Watch Now
Brent_MarchantSep 29, 2019
Doing justice to an iconic performer can be a tricky proposition, but "Judy" does just that where legendary singer/dancer/actress Judy Garland is concerned. Renee Zellweger absolutely knocks it out of the park in a touching,Doing justice to an iconic performer can be a tricky proposition, but "Judy" does just that where legendary singer/dancer/actress Judy Garland is concerned. Renee Zellweger absolutely knocks it out of the park in a touching, brings-tears-to-your-eyes portrayal of the talented but tragic performer. While some elements might have been handled a little better (such as the pacing in the first 30 minutes), the film more than makes up for any minor shortcomings with Zellweger's phenomenal singing and acting, capturing Judy's sensitive but sad essence with heartfelt emotion and a superb rendition of her subject's character. Not a perfect movie, but one that absolutely gets it right where it counts. Expand
moviemitch96Sep 28, 2019
While I've never been the biggest Judy Garland fan, nor Renee Zellweger fan, I've always acknowledged just how talented Garland was, especially as a singer, and so I was interested to see just how well Zellweger would be able to not onlyWhile I've never been the biggest Judy Garland fan, nor Renee Zellweger fan, I've always acknowledged just how talented Garland was, especially as a singer, and so I was interested to see just how well Zellweger would be able to not only embody her, but also how well she could sing, and I'm happy to report that she knocks it out of the park in this film! She was nearly unrecognizable to me, and I truly felt as though I was watching Judy Garland come back to life. Furthermore, this film helped me gain a whole new respect for Garland and the immense struggles and pressure she went through in Hollywood and her fame. Overall, despite it predictably following the standard biopic formula a number of times, Zellweger more than makes up for this and carries the film with her amazing performance! She will be nominated at the Oscars for this film, mark my words! And I can almost guarantee the final 5 minutes are bound to choke quite a few people up. I know I can vouch for that. Expand
Thatkat09Sep 27, 2019
A respectful and heartfelt portrait on Judy's last tour. We see her go through terrible things but it never devolves into making her a victim. She was as strong fabulous lady with terrible circumstances who tried to make the most of them, andA respectful and heartfelt portrait on Judy's last tour. We see her go through terrible things but it never devolves into making her a victim. She was as strong fabulous lady with terrible circumstances who tried to make the most of them, and i'm glad this film went along those lines. Renee is also fantastic. Her singing doesn't sound like Judy, but its not bad at all. Expand
katezoeSep 30, 2019
Renee Zellweger embodies Judy Garland...Oscar nomination! This is performance of a lifetime. As mentioned by others in User Reviews the ending brought tears too many in the audience. Costumes, hair and make-up pitch perfect.
WorldtravelerSep 29, 2019
Renee Zellweger shines in Judy, at times she spookily captures the Garland I remember from the 1960s. Her terrific performance captures the pathos and melancholy of her tragic life shortly before her death in 1969.

The movie from BBC Films

The movie from BBC Films centers on her last concert performances at Top of the Town in London. While the last year of her life was not a happy time, the film does have it happy moments when she shares a late night dinner with two aging gay fans.
skobbOct 3, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My wife and I really enjoyed this movie, although much of it is depressing. The story gives you a sense of why she fell apart.

Also: the fictional account of her meeting with two gay guys was a wonderful way to account for her connection to that community.
FilmreactiviewSep 29, 2019
At Canadian Premiere
Billybob43Oct 1, 2019
Renee is fabulous. The first hour was chopped and all characters made me angry The last 30 minutes: Bazinga!
GreatMartinSep 27, 2019
Renee Zellweger does an excellent job as Judy Garland but, using her own voice, shows that there was only one Judy Garland! Judy Davis, in 2001, did a 4 hour TV story called "Life With Judy Garland: Me & My Shadow", winning an Emmy, butRenee Zellweger does an excellent job as Judy Garland but, using her own voice, shows that there was only one Judy Garland! Judy Davis, in 2001, did a 4 hour TV story called "Life With Judy Garland: Me & My Shadow", winning an Emmy, but lip-synced Judy's voice and was more effective.

In "I Could Go On Singing", Garland's last movie, the screenplay did a much better job about a world famous singer showing the love for her children then this screenplay by Tom Edge based on a play by Peter Quilter. The flashbacks to Judy's start and her treatment by the studio, especially during "The Wizard of Oz", along with 'appearances' by actors such as Mickey Rooney, doesn't add anything new.

More time spent with Judy's ex husband, Sid Luft (Rufus Sewell) and Jessie Buckley, as Judy's last assistant, Rosalie, would have added more to the story about her last days. Finn Wittrock, as Micky Deans, her last husband, for less than a year and rumored to be gay is given less attention but then another husband Vincent Minnelli, father of Liza and also gay, isn't even mentioned. Darci Shawn, as young Judy, would make perfect casting as a young Liz Taylor.

"Judy" delivers one fine performance and a tearful last 5 minutes but instead of recommending seeing this I would recommend you seeing Judy Garland in "I Could Go On Singing" and Judy Davis in "Life With Judy Garland: Me & My Shadow".
LamontRaymondSep 28, 2019
The story is just ok, of course, but the performances of Renee Zellweger and the always amazing Jessie Buckly push this one over the top. I mean, Renee is pretty spectacular. Who would have thought that Bridget Jones could have eventually done this?
The3AcademySinsOct 6, 2019
Judy is a film that makes Joker look like an uplifting comedy. Wow. This movie is oppressively depressing from the moment the screen lights up. The film really brings home the fact that there is no hope for Judy Garland at this point in herJudy is a film that makes Joker look like an uplifting comedy. Wow. This movie is oppressively depressing from the moment the screen lights up. The film really brings home the fact that there is no hope for Judy Garland at this point in her life. This movie is a tender reflection of a woman who has lost pretty much everything. Judy Garland is played brilliantly by Renee Zellweger. She is definitely going to be getting some buzz this awards season. Her portrayal is haunting and incredibly real to life. I wanted to reach into the screen and give her a hug and tell her everything is going to be okay.

While Renee Zellweger is easily at a 10, the rest of the movie is a very by-the-books biopic in terms of the screenplay. The cinematography and lighting in particular is really beautiful to behold. There are some really cool shots, and I wish the rest of the story could keep up with the star and the technical production.

All in all, I wish metacritic would allow it's users to give half scores. This movie is a strong 7.5 as a complete product. If you like Judy Garland, or biopics, you will love this movie. Bring someone to hold onto, because this is a depressing swan song you won't soon forget.
Eaj6Oct 8, 2019
Renee Zellweger emobodies the role of Judy Garland perfectly. This movie really shows how talented Judy Garland was. It also showed how much she went through and how much pressure she was under. It may not have been the happiest movie, but itRenee Zellweger emobodies the role of Judy Garland perfectly. This movie really shows how talented Judy Garland was. It also showed how much she went through and how much pressure she was under. It may not have been the happiest movie, but it was an influential and inspiring one. Expand
TVJerryOct 3, 2019
First, the obvious: Renée Zellweger is brilliant and amazing, portraying Judy Garland as a talented train wreck. The movie primarily takes place in 1968, when her rep has ruined her chances for most career opportunities. She takes a 5-weekFirst, the obvious: Renée Zellweger is brilliant and amazing, portraying Judy Garland as a talented train wreck. The movie primarily takes place in 1968, when her rep has ruined her chances for most career opportunities. She takes a 5-week concert run in London. The narrative also flashes back to her "Oz" days, when the pressure to perform and the ruinous routine of drugs started. Almost every scene keeps Zellweger close to the camera, while her performance effectively captures Garland's mannered style and tentative delivery (her singing is plenty adequate but doesn't ring quite as powerful as the original). Most of this story is wretchedly tragic (and repetitive to the point of tedium), but she manages to show moments of wit and charm. This is surely Oscar bait for the star, but it also manages to shed sad light on Garland's complex existence. Expand
MarkHReviewsOct 16, 2019
It’s ironic that a movie about Judy Garland, notorious for her recklessness and on-the-edge behavior, plays it so safe. The script’s major downfall is its by-the-numbers approach. We have the obligatory flashbacks to establish childhoodIt’s ironic that a movie about Judy Garland, notorious for her recklessness and on-the-edge behavior, plays it so safe. The script’s major downfall is its by-the-numbers approach. We have the obligatory flashbacks to establish childhood trauma. We see the ongoing ravages of drug and alcohol abuse. We conclude with a big, moving finale.

This lack of structural creativity, though, certainly doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go along for the ride. As Garland, Renee Zellweger is fantastic. After reportedly working with a vocal coach for over a year, Zellweger sings all of her own songs – no lip-synching, no “amalgamation” of voices (we’re looking at you, “Bohemian Rhapsody”) – just honest, unadulterated excellence. As an actress, Zellweger is equally adept, persuasively capturing Garland’s unique mixture of bravado, insecurity and performance genius.

“Judy” covers the period early in 1969 when Garland had a six-week run of shows at the Talk of the Town Theater in London (it’s now the Hippodrome Casino in Leicester Square). From press reports at the time, Garland was consistently late to go on stage and her performances were erratic. Those close to her said she was terrified to face these live audiences, but ironically would often arrive so late that all the goodwill in the room had already dissipated. Just another chapter in her epic of self-destruction.

Toward the end of the film, Director Robert Goold (“True Story”) and Screenwriter Tom Edge (“The Crown,” “CB Strike”) redeem themselves by suggesting compellingly that Garland’s greatest love-hate relationship, and perhaps her greatest addiction, was with fame itself. There’s also the ironic suggestion that, while her close relationships were generally disasters (she was married five times), her relationships with audiences were much more fully requited.

Like Garland herself, this film is far from perfect. But also like Garland herself, the redemptive moments – particularly with Zellweger belting onstage – make it easy to forgive and forget what came before and what follows.
PetsitterGlobalOct 16, 2019
Transcendent! Rene Zellweger's performance was as iconic as the icon she portrayed. Rene was so immersed in the role that by the end of the movie she didn't even look like herself any more. This is a must-see mesmerizing performance of aTranscendent! Rene Zellweger's performance was as iconic as the icon she portrayed. Rene was so immersed in the role that by the end of the movie she didn't even look like herself any more. This is a must-see mesmerizing performance of a lifetime. It's a tragic story, but it inspired me to remember to choose courage and compassion over criticism and condemnation. Expand