Warner Bros. | Release Date: December 25, 2019
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 33 Ratings
Watch Now
JLuis_001Jan 8, 2020
It's Oscar bait, plain and simple and the handling and direction are very usual and known. There's no surprises or something to make it stand aside from films of this kind, nevertheless it's a fine film.

The emotional manipulation is there

The emotional manipulation is there and I was expecting it but the reason why the movie ends up working better is because the story is good no matter what.
The theme is completely relevant and devastatingly painful and real.

The performances will undoubtedly also remove it from the immediate oblivion and to be honest is a good option.
It's a safe bet for sure but that isn't really an issue.

This is my last film for the year. It was another great year.
Let's see what the new decade has in store for us.
movieloverandiJan 11, 2020
Michael B Jordan is great and believable in the leading role and I found the overall film moving and captivating despite some flaws here and there.
GreatMartinJan 14, 2020
Before I say anything else, even though I am rooting for Antonio Banderas or Adam Driver for the Best Actor Oscar, Jamie Foxx deserved a nomination!!

Of the previous 4 pictures I have seen, "1917", "Uncut Gems", "Cats" and "A Hidden Life", equaling over 10 hours of film putting them all together didn't move me as much as "Just Mercy" including a 10 minute combined scene of a courtroom and a prison cell that had tears running down my face and I didn't care who saw it if anyone could through their tears.

A cliche is defined as "something that has become overly familiar or common place" and, sadly, this is a movie full of cliches because so much that is wrong in race relations has not changed in centuries. When a black man is pulled over by the police he will raise his hands above the wheel so they can see he has no weapons in his hands. Have you ever seen, even in a movie, a white man do this? When a white girl is raped and killed in Alabama can you guess what will be the color of the man arrested? The court scenes have been seen in many movies and in most of them you get what you expect in a deep south State in the U.S.A. but there area few differences there as in the rest of the movie mainly because of Foxx.

"Just Mercy" is based on the true story of Bryan Stevenson, a black man, who, after graduating from Harvard, headed to Alabama to work for/with the Equal Justice Initiative which helps with the defense of those wrongly condemned and can't afford or get legal help . Part of the film takes place in Monroeville, Alabama, the home of Harper Lee who wrote "To Kill A Mockingbird". The book was published in 1960 taking place in the 1930s while the case of Walter "Johnny D." McMillan takes place in the 1980s and 1990s and shows that not much has changed over the 60 years including a threat to a white woman who works with Stevenson.

Bryan Stevenson is played by Michael B. Jordan, who, unfortunately, has to say a lot of the cliches written by Destin Daniel Cretton and Andrew Lanham and plays the lawyer/advocator adequately but is out-shined by Foxx and Rob Morgan, as a Vietnam veteran living with PTSD, on death row in the cell next to Foxx. Brie Larson, as Stevenson's paralegal and colleague, really hasn't much to do while many other cast members, black and white, have cliched--there's that word again--roles you see in every movie about the South.

"Just Mercy" should be seen and yet in today's showing there were 8 people! Maybe if people would understand that what happened in 1930, 1960, 1980 is still happening today as the following headline in today's news was:

Detroit man exonerated after nearly 30 years in jail "always had faith this day would come"
Brent_MarchantJan 11, 2020
Despite some occasional pacing issues and a storytelling approach that's fairly conventional for films of this type, "Just Mercy" nevertheless reaches out and grabs viewers with an intensity that earns the genuinely heartfelt emotions itDespite some occasional pacing issues and a storytelling approach that's fairly conventional for films of this type, "Just Mercy" nevertheless reaches out and grabs viewers with an intensity that earns the genuinely heartfelt emotions it evokes from audiences. With fine performances by Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx, the picture touches in ways that movies of this stripe typically don't despite similarity in subject matter and narrative. One would think in this day and age that we shouldn't have to be shown films that embody stories such as this, but, given the prevailing conditions found in our ever-increasing polarized society, it's obvious the need is still there, and thankfully, we have pictures like this to step up and fill that void. Expand
FilmreactiviewJan 8, 2020
"Emotional Depth and Sense of Purpose"
AilunchiuJan 11, 2020
This movie needs to be in the Oscar. I’m shocked by the review score is so low. If you don’t watch it, you can’t to understand how powerful this movie means. It is base on true story and I love how bold and beautiful that the film tells theThis movie needs to be in the Oscar. I’m shocked by the review score is so low. If you don’t watch it, you can’t to understand how powerful this movie means. It is base on true story and I love how bold and beautiful that the film tells the story as it is. Acting and music are amazing, I couldn’t take my eyes off the scene for a second. This is a meaningful film that it will exceed your expectation, worth every penny and your time to watch it in the theater. This film is the best gift for a true story lover.

God Blessed.
MikeA747Jan 14, 2020
Awesome movie. Best I have seen in the past year. Michael B. Jordan is amazing as always and so were Jamie Foxx and Brie Larson. A powerful statement against racism, corruption and the death penalty at a time when our country sure needsAwesome movie. Best I have seen in the past year. Michael B. Jordan is amazing as always and so were Jamie Foxx and Brie Larson. A powerful statement against racism, corruption and the death penalty at a time when our country sure needs every positive statement it can get. A 10+ plus for me. Expand
AjmoviesJan 15, 2020
A super good movie and probably the best of 2020 so far. Or if you want to count this as a 2019 film your choice just a good film.
Rating- 93%
zmgalen2000Jan 3, 2020
A heartbreaking cultural phenomenon, Just Mercy concludes 2019 and kickstarts 2020 in an astute depiction of racism. By virtue of its proper pacing, raw emotion, and stellar performances among Jordan, Foxx, and Larson, the film is aA heartbreaking cultural phenomenon, Just Mercy concludes 2019 and kickstarts 2020 in an astute depiction of racism. By virtue of its proper pacing, raw emotion, and stellar performances among Jordan, Foxx, and Larson, the film is a hard-hitting homerun whose pure ingeniousness makes its digestion difficult yet necessary. The well-written script further aggrandizes the film's overall sentiment, which will leave audiences spellbound when leaving the cinemas. Expand
SergeantSozJan 17, 2020
Just Mercy is the best film of the year, all 10 days of it. I haven’t had a film punch me in the gut like that in forever. All the actors were amazing and I expect some oscar nominations. It was a very POWERFUL movie with a great message. ItJust Mercy is the best film of the year, all 10 days of it. I haven’t had a film punch me in the gut like that in forever. All the actors were amazing and I expect some oscar nominations. It was a very POWERFUL movie with a great message. It actually changed my stance on death row. Long after it’s over, you’ll be thinking about it. I could barely talk on the car ride home because I was so lost for words. This is what a good movie does. It feels real because it is real. This is a serious problem in our country. Its a great look in the mirror at the American justice system and I think everyone including politicians and law enforcement should see it. We see a mugshot on TV and no one sees the human side to them. We just see the picture and the media convinces us they’re guilty. Innocent until proven guilty is a lie and men have spent their lives locked away just because the justice department puts the importance of closing cases and getting convictions rather than punishing the person who actually did it. They don’t care, as long as someone takes the fall. And I don’t see how victims families sit with that when the real killer is still at large. If this movie doesn’t make your eyes water, then you’re not even human. On final note. the film was perfect - the writing, directing, and acting were all perfect. Expand
moviemitch96Jan 9, 2020
This is based on a true story about a young lawyer named Bryan Stevenson (Michael B. Jordan), who comes to the defense of a convicted death row inmate (Jamie Foxx) he strongly believes is innocent and has been wrongfully accused of a murderThis is based on a true story about a young lawyer named Bryan Stevenson (Michael B. Jordan), who comes to the defense of a convicted death row inmate (Jamie Foxx) he strongly believes is innocent and has been wrongfully accused of a murder with the help of a young and resilient mother (Brie Larson). It's a standard courtroom drama, but it does contain a lot of heart and committed performances from all involved, even if it does follow a lot of familiar courtroom/biopic tropes. Furthermore, the film encourages thought and empathy above all else in a rather graceful yet effective manner, while there's also a fair share of tense moments and conflict. Overall, it's definitely a well-meaning true story, even if it does feel a little 'been there, done that' when it comes to courtroom and justice biopics. Expand
DCA123Dec 30, 2019
Extremely moving film about a great man and an important issue. Could not be more timely or inspiring.
Chicano99Jan 19, 2020
Well written book material, with excellent acting. A timely movie about hope in the setting of injustice and corruption.
Traceyr6Jan 20, 2020
This movie was excellent! It's unfortunate that so many out of touch, non-African American "film critics" chose to dismiss the current and real life experiences of Blacks through powerful performances and a well developed script. The reasonThis movie was excellent! It's unfortunate that so many out of touch, non-African American "film critics" chose to dismiss the current and real life experiences of Blacks through powerful performances and a well developed script. The reason that the film was predictable is because is a true store. This is how the absence of justice consistantly plays out in the American court room. So if you've seen it before , It's because that's how it is. Expand