A24 | Release Date: March 18, 2016
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 55 Ratings
Watch Now
netflicApr 3, 2016
This is the first full-feature film of a young director Trey Shults. The protagonist of the story, Krisha. comes to her sister's big house for a family reunion Thanksgiving after 10 years of not being around. She desperately attempts toThis is the first full-feature film of a young director Trey Shults. The protagonist of the story, Krisha. comes to her sister's big house for a family reunion Thanksgiving after 10 years of not being around. She desperately attempts to repair her relationship with her family, but demons tormenting her are too strong. In the first part of the movie the soundtrack was excessively intrusive, but later on remarkable performance of the main character played by little known actress Krisha Fairchild made me forget about it. There are many aspects of Krisha's past which remain uncertain and unknown, but that is irrelevant. The movie is strong, emotional and nuanced. Great debut of the young director Trey Shults. Expand
SpangleNov 14, 2016
It is not a surprise to me at all that Trey Edward Shults will follow up his directorial debut, Krisha, with a horror mystery film. Though a drama, I always felt that Krisha looked like a horror film in the trailer and the film itselfIt is not a surprise to me at all that Trey Edward Shults will follow up his directorial debut, Krisha, with a horror mystery film. Though a drama, I always felt that Krisha looked like a horror film in the trailer and the film itself certainly dances along those lines. For those with anxiety, Krisha is horror personified. With a sonically arresting score, Krisha is a haunting experience of a woman coming back into a family after 10 years away, only for everything to fall apart. Watching this right before the holidays (since the film occurs during a family Thanksgiving) may be a mistake, given the horror it shows.

Krisha (Krisha Fairchild) is a "recovering" alcoholic, who attempts to return to her family during Thanksgiving. Most importantly, she wants to reunite with her son Trey (Trey Edward Shults) and mend the bonds with the rest of her family. Unfortunately for her, things begin going awry when her drinking rears its ugly head once more and her attempt to re-enter the family fails horribly. Using an anxious score, the film places us in the head of our protagonist, which only ups the anxiety induced by the film. This is not easy watching and Shults manages to craft a drama film that really resonates with anybody from a large family environment, especially in cases when certain family members may be disconnected - for whatever reason - from everybody else.

This drama really resonates with the viewer, but is amplified by the truly terrific acting in the film. For a cast of largely non-actors and family members of Shults, Krisha is filled with terrific performances, particularly by Krisha Fairchild. Neurotic and often hard to watch in her performance and self-destruction, Fairchild manages to somehow conjure sympathy for her lost character, while also inducing rage for her. This balance is important because it is true. As a family member, it is clear her family loves her, but her actions make them often abhor her. Fairchild plays to this dichotomy by being able to turn on a dime in her performance between sympathy and self-destruction.

Yet, the score is the thing that I keep coming back to in my mind. This score is more fitting for a horror film than a drama, which is what makes it so deeply effective. In many ways, reality can be more terrifying than the mystery of the unknown. Here, Shults certainly proves this true with his score that manages to capture the nervous intensity of Krisha and the family that is worried about her re-entry. This certainly causes fear for everyone involved and the score reflects this energy with inconsistent tones and abrasive notes that course through the veins of the viewer and instills them with the same anxiety as the characters.

Often hard to watch, Krisha is a monster of a drama film with killer performances and an even better score that really drive home the family drama on-screen. Not much happens, admittedly, which limits its appeal outside more indie circles, which is unfortunate given the talent on display in this film. Shults has certainly established himself as a man to keep an eye on, especially given the talent circling his next feature, It Comes at Night.
EpicLadySpongeApr 28, 2016
This is a movie you must never skip even when you're forced to. Krisha is lovely a knockout and it'll make sure you enter the ring watching how beautiful it is.
jbatthemoviesApr 11, 2016
Wow... This movie was crazy powerful and it kind of broke my heart... More people need to see this. Funny, terrifying and ultimately tragic. Thanksgiving family horror. I think it is only in a couple of theaters, sadly, but if you can see it, go now!
vrushApr 18, 2016
Slyly, this film provided no evidence that Krisha was an "abandoneer" other than the character's assertions. Krisha's inability to challenge this definition of herself, internally or otherwise, is evidence only that she accepted herSlyly, this film provided no evidence that Krisha was an "abandoneer" other than the character's assertions. Krisha's inability to challenge this definition of herself, internally or otherwise, is evidence only that she accepted her assigned identity as the family scapegoat. The film made clear that the character Trey was not considering a career in film. When we ask ourselves how in real life Trey became a filmmaker, perhaps we see that the bad actor in this film is truly Robyn, who gains a sense of superiority by cutting Trey off from his creative flow in order to prove which is the superior parent. There was no need to throw the whole turkey out. Unconditional regard and love for Krisha was out of the question in order to prove Robyn correct in every way. The Trey in the film was destined for business, and not destined to create this beautiful film about the sadness of a woman's tendency to be a control freak at the expense of the child she claims to be raising with full love. Like Solomon, I think we can see which is the real mother through the eyes of this filmmaker. The mother in possession has no interest in the welfare of the child, whereas Krisha seeks only that he be in touch with his creative destiny. Expand
johnpope583Jan 24, 2017
A movie that defies standard film experiences. It is WAY ahead of its time and will go on to prove itself as an important film in history--both as an American piece of art as well as its existence in the world. I have been so inspired by thisA movie that defies standard film experiences. It is WAY ahead of its time and will go on to prove itself as an important film in history--both as an American piece of art as well as its existence in the world. I have been so inspired by this film both as an artist and as a human being who appreciates Trey Edward Schultz's process as a filmmaker. Well done. I look forward to your next masterpiece. Expand
aletundelaFeb 26, 2017
Very powerfull movie... a real punch in the face of all the social conventions... The form how themmovie was filmed in only nine years with so much intensity made of Krisha a masterpiece in my opinion.
wollam11Oct 6, 2018
There was a really nice love story between Chase and Logan building in the background. So sad Krisha's meltdown prevented me from seeing the rest of the story. I think that's the point.
davd123Jan 26, 2018
The beginning was a little too long and annoying at some point. But later it made me realize how it is easy to make things even worse than they are right now. I can not imagine feeling when you are not waiting to come back to your family, howThe beginning was a little too long and annoying at some point. But later it made me realize how it is easy to make things even worse than they are right now. I can not imagine feeling when you are not waiting to come back to your family, how to feel when everyone wants you our and when everyone thinks that you are ruining something. This movie is different, I liked the soundtrack and storyline. Just the music at the beginning at some moments was too irritating. It made me sad but most important thing is that this movie touched my heart in a way that no one has ever touched it before. Expand