Samuel Goldwyn Company, The | Release Date: March 8, 1991
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 38 Ratings
Watch Now
RoeylMay 13, 2011
A great movie. You may or may not like it, but I did.
talisencrwJan 18, 2016
Upon cinematic release, being fascinated with Bridget Fonda, I watched 'Point of No Return', which I enjoyed but had no idea it was based on Besson's film. Badham's work was okay in my books, but nothing spectacular. Over the years I hadUpon cinematic release, being fascinated with Bridget Fonda, I watched 'Point of No Return', which I enjoyed but had no idea it was based on Besson's film. Badham's work was okay in my books, but nothing spectacular. Over the years I had loved those films of his I had seen ('Leon: The Professional', 'The Fifth Element', 'The Family' and 'Lucy'), and decided I wanted to see his earlier classic. I like the fact that Besson always has some hand in the writing, and the exquisite and graceful small part he wrote for acting legend Jeanne Moreau, virtually a microcosm of everything splendid she had ever brought to the screen. Besson has a very good feel for the genres his films represent--he plays to his strengths, and is not afraid to stick to his guns (for example, I'm glad he chose the ending that he did). The two significant extras on my DVD, remarking on the making of the film, and the sound selections by scorer Eric Serra, were both informative and entertaining, and added significant value. I highly recommend the experience to those who only think of 'The Fifth Element' when they think of Luc's work--you're in for a real treat... Collapse
Debaser7Oct 8, 2016
Beautifully shot and acted, great score by Eric Serra, Nikita is a film that defines cool. I've watched Leon, the Fifth Element, and Nikita in just a week, and all are on my favorite movie list.
Paul_YoonSep 19, 2010
It's massive flaws that Nikita character seems like an "A Clockwork Orange" character through this movie. However, I would praise Nikita for pychologically dilema between her responsibility for kill and her love.
oDjentoMay 13, 2015
A short review:
A short review:
The story of Nikita is fairly simplistic to follow. The only thing is it doesn't delve fully into what it could've been. Instead it tinkers with the emotional strings due to her relationship she forms contrasting with her "work". Performances by lead actress are alright overall, she's absolutely dislikable at the start but at the end you (kind of) grow to sympathise with her but due to her childish actions and mannerisms at times she can more be an annoyance. Her boss plays his part pretty well but Jean Reno steals the screen for the few minutes he occupies it for. However, direction wise of this film was average overall, some shots being quite nicely directed but other shots being totally unnecessary. An interesting idea that doesn't fully deliver. 6/10
tethysdustMar 12, 2017
This one was not exactly what I expected--it is not really a James Bond-style story. Nikita was really something else. It also feels very firmly set in its time of history, in terms of style and music. It was entertaining, though.
CameMay 27, 2019
La Femme Nikita has good action scenes but most of the film is a drama thriller which works totally fine since the director Luc Besson does a great job at displaying that.