Lionsgate | Release Date: December 9, 2016
Universal acclaim based on 2188 Ratings
1,861
Watch Now
FlorentineJan 17, 2017
I do like musicals, but I didn't like this one. It's been a long time since I walked out of a movie, but I really wanted to today. I stayed to the bitter bitter end. I've never cared for Ryan Gosling or John Legend, and I still have no useI do like musicals, but I didn't like this one. It's been a long time since I walked out of a movie, but I really wanted to today. I stayed to the bitter bitter end. I've never cared for Ryan Gosling or John Legend, and I still have no use for either. The whole movie fell flat. The opening scene was not entertaining. Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly and Donald O'Conner must be rolling in their graves and rolling their eyes at this one. Best movie of the year? You cannot be serious! Expand
robinson1Jan 22, 2017
Since we're over 60, my husband and I have seen a few movies. This is 2nd one we have ever left and the only one where he has ever fallen asleep. We thought it was like a tired, old, truly corny Hallmark Hall of Fame set to music. I was a bitSince we're over 60, my husband and I have seen a few movies. This is 2nd one we have ever left and the only one where he has ever fallen asleep. We thought it was like a tired, old, truly corny Hallmark Hall of Fame set to music. I was a bit more patient and got all the way to the hunt for the Prius...really? Gee, I think I know the ending. ; By the way, Hallmark has become a bit more edgey Expand
perryrantsJan 7, 2017
my wife and i went to see this on my birthday. the best and most affecting emotional part of this movie was when it said THE END! i almost cried with overjoyeous relief of being rescued.
DaddyO3Feb 14, 2018
Neither I, my wife, or our kids got into this. We turned it off about half way through.
MovieloveorhateJan 21, 2017
Boring. Cheesy. I don't understand some of the reviews at all. In fact I almost walked out. I just didn't get it. Normally I love musicals but felt the singing and dancing spoilt the story. My husband disliked it so much he said it would be aBoring. Cheesy. I don't understand some of the reviews at all. In fact I almost walked out. I just didn't get it. Normally I love musicals but felt the singing and dancing spoilt the story. My husband disliked it so much he said it would be a long time before he went to the cinema again. Expand
TheFilmDogApr 16, 2017
My wife and I purchased this film on one of the streaming services and settled in for a pleasant evening of light entertainment on a big screen tv with sound coming from a couple of thousand dollars worth of audio equipment, but it turns outMy wife and I purchased this film on one of the streaming services and settled in for a pleasant evening of light entertainment on a big screen tv with sound coming from a couple of thousand dollars worth of audio equipment, but it turns out we were all dressed up with no place to go. That is, this multi-Oscar winner turned out to be a loser that let us down on every front.

For those who haven't seen it I won't spoil the story by saying that it appears to be an updated tribute to the old musical romantic comedies. Instead of placing the young boy-girl couple back in time, we see them cavorting on the crowded interstates of modern Los Angeles which feature countless Prius Hybrids rather than elegant RR Silver Clouds. The effect is mildly humorous but not romantic. The lack of musical talent in the two leads is neither funny nor romantic. We were reminded of the fact that long ago most entertainers could sing and dance decently if not wonderfully but today's stars are not that versatile. And it's pretty depressing watching the talent lumber across a screen that the old movie-makers would have killed to use for their productions. We live in a time of technical marvels. This movie made poor use of them.

Take the matter of color, for example. The look of the old Hollywood musicals was determined in part by the lack of subtlety of the color film available at the time. Knowing the limitations of the medium the old filmmakers used sets that made a kind of fantastic beauty. Everything looked perfect, though unreal. The control that filmmakers have over color today allows for just about any imaginable look. My question is who would choose to dress the characters as if they were in an old Hollywood fantasy and then photograph them against completely realistic backgrounds featuring brown palm trees, wilted flowers, and roads and buildings that remind us that our country's infrastructure is crumbling (one of the few points that people of all political stripes can agree on).

Finally, I'm forced to ask WHY the audience is supposed to care about our lead couple. There's lots of talent out there working its heart out to get some good, steady work. Why should we want this particular duo to make it. They don't seem especially brilliant. When the young lady isn't selected for a part by a rather rude producer, I found myself thinking "well, I guess he had something else in mind". I mean, her performance didn't immediately grab me. She didn't jump out at me. And that has happened on occasion hen a great actor does a bit part in a film and you find yourself saying, my god! Who WAS that?!

So all in all another mega hit about Hollywood that got great reviews from people who live in that world--I've noticed that film critics seem to give extra points to movies about making movies. I call it the Barton Fink effect.

Maybe I'm getting old and have seen too many movies. But frankly I don' think that's the problem with a La La production that just seems flat and ugly.
sonderFeb 20, 2017
I feel like I'm taking CRAZY PILLS! La La Land wins the award for most overrated movie of year, perhaps decade. Does anyone remember Crash? The patronizing L.A. movie that trots out endless, unoriginal "gee it makes you think" race tropes.I feel like I'm taking CRAZY PILLS! La La Land wins the award for most overrated movie of year, perhaps decade. Does anyone remember Crash? The patronizing L.A. movie that trots out endless, unoriginal "gee it makes you think" race tropes. Crash, the Movie that beat Crouching Tiger in the Oscars, and then no one ever watched it or thought about it again? That's how overrated La La Land is. La La Land is a little bit different from the stereotypical musical, and wants the viewer to celebrate these tiny progressions as something artistic and revolutionary. There's no art here. There's no deeper truth. This is a sugar-coated musical that mechanically a little bit of conflict, a little bit of drama, a smattering of bittersweet notes in an attempt to seem real and genuine. But La La Land fails, the script is a **** formula out of a community college drama writing course. It's as fake and self-congratulatory as the Hollywood film industry, pretending to be brave, when it's really a cookie cutter drama. The sad thing is that, like Crash, the critics fell for it. The academy will probably fall for La La Land too. This movie will probably take attention and awards away from movies that deserve attention. Expand
DemoraseMar 9, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The poor dude carried the absolute crap out of her for the entire movie (gave her the motivation and confidence, made her write her own play, made her go to the audition) without ever complaining, only to be left heartbroken while she seemingly has it all in the end. But hey it's just the guy so who cares, feel good movie of the year right there 10/10. Expand
Abhishek16May 26, 2017
One of the most pathetic attempts at a musical.tell me damien, how do you go from an epic like Whiplash to a piece of garbage like this **** How almost everyone praises this movie is absolutely beyond me.Here's to hoping another Whiplash isOne of the most pathetic attempts at a musical.tell me damien, how do you go from an epic like Whiplash to a piece of garbage like this **** How almost everyone praises this movie is absolutely beyond me.Here's to hoping another Whiplash is in our way. Expand
qJun 30, 2017
I finally gave in and rented La La Land from Redbox for $1.59 this evening. As I began to watch it, I kept waiting for it to get started and to develop some semblance of an engaging plot. As I forced myself to continue to watch it in theI finally gave in and rented La La Land from Redbox for $1.59 this evening. As I began to watch it, I kept waiting for it to get started and to develop some semblance of an engaging plot. As I forced myself to continue to watch it in the hope that I eventually would discover the qualities that caused it almost to win the Oscar for best movie, I began to wonder if it would ever end. Honestly, it was just plain weird in the artsy-fartsy sort of way that critics find appealing but many normal moviegoers find off-putting. Compared to the classic musicals of Broadway's heyday, it could not even begin to hold a candle. The one saving grace was the jazz music in the soundtrack, which was of a high quality musically. Expand
JahosafatsSep 17, 2017
I don't understand how this won awards. I was basically hoping is would end from the beginning. The singing and dancing were not that good nor was the story.
ihatelalalandOct 22, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. my friend nicky likes it and i dont, f lFn lanfoanfoailfafafafafafafafafafafa Expand
BladeLover2049Aug 18, 2018
A film that provokes falsehood that results in an alienation that in the average viewer will cause happiness, but in some experienced people will achieve a mediatic nervous pulse of which only the symptoms of a presumptuous homage to theA film that provokes falsehood that results in an alienation that in the average viewer will cause happiness, but in some experienced people will achieve a mediatic nervous pulse of which only the symptoms of a presumptuous homage to the cinema will be seen; but that in reality is a Hollywood conquest towards the indie. A masked dictatorship in a homage. Expand
harvdog03Nov 7, 2018
Seriously probably the most over hyped, overrated movies I have ever seen. This movie completely fails as a musical. I don't remember any songs or was even compelled to download them. Also Emma Stone's character blah and the ending wasSeriously probably the most over hyped, overrated movies I have ever seen. This movie completely fails as a musical. I don't remember any songs or was even compelled to download them. Also Emma Stone's character blah and the ending was dumb dumb dumb. Expand
amboyJan 30, 2017
There is a lethal sentimental softness about this movie. The theme song is repeated to death. The two stars have not enough chemistry to fill a test tube. It's hard to believe the same director did Whiplash. This is not a musical film; itThere is a lethal sentimental softness about this movie. The theme song is repeated to death. The two stars have not enough chemistry to fill a test tube. It's hard to believe the same director did Whiplash. This is not a musical film; it doesn't revive an old genre--it kills it forever. Expand
AlexanderLuthorJan 30, 2017
Perhaps their are two musicals named La La Land from 2016 starring Ryan Gosling and Emma stone, because the one I just saw was terrible. The only award I would have nominated it for would be a Razzie. And I do love a good musical from timePerhaps their are two musicals named La La Land from 2016 starring Ryan Gosling and Emma stone, because the one I just saw was terrible. The only award I would have nominated it for would be a Razzie. And I do love a good musical from time to time. This was nothing but poorly drawn film, with two dimensional wooden characters jumping from cliche to cliche. Expand
mbh_93Feb 8, 2017
The 30 million dollar budget were spent on the actors' salaries and buying all these awards. Besides, whats with people loving it without even watching?
supercocomanApr 3, 2017
is the most big **** i ever seen ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
phildogApr 26, 2017
A terrible musical with horrific singing. I mean really, this musical makes GLEE sound good. I mean, dear god. Just Ugh. The main sins of this film include:

1. The obnoxious and distracting camera work. They try and look clever with all

1. The obnoxious and distracting camera work. They try and look clever with all these contentious shots. The issue is that ruins the pacing of each scene since it leaves no room for properly edited cuts.

2. The music, the singing and sound mixing are all atrocious. "Another Day of Sun" is possibly one of the single worst opening numbers I've witnessed. And I say witnessed, not heard, because you can't hear a damn thing. The music sounds like what you'd hear in an elevator. Competent but boring. The singing is the same, but none of the few decent singers this movie has can harmonise properly. It's hard to notice that problem though, when you can't hear them over the damn music. 3. Yeah... The "white guy trying to save Jazz" is problematic as hell. It's like how in RENT all the white people are being gentrified out of their neighbourhood by a black guy... Like, are you freaking kidding me? It doesn't bother me that much, but it's an issue.

Look, if you like this. Hey, that's great and.. No, I can't do this. Like, if you enjoyed this, I genuinely feel sorry you haven't been exposed to better musicals. I mean go look up Hairspray's opening on youtube. That's a song about Baltimore, yet it sounds more inviting than LA. Or go watch "Singing in the Rain". Sit down and listen to some of the musical numbers from Wicked or Hamilton or The Book of Mormon. Hell, if you're rich enough go see them while you still can.

There is a world of far, far, faaaaaaaar superior musicals out there for you to enjoy. La La Land is an insult to them all.
Em_musicianFeb 27, 2017
I didn't know it was a musical going in, but that shouldn't have mattered. I love musicals. They just need to have great singers, dancers, and music. This one didn't. To be fair, I didn't watch the entire film. I couldn't sit through theI didn't know it was a musical going in, but that shouldn't have mattered. I love musicals. They just need to have great singers, dancers, and music. This one didn't. To be fair, I didn't watch the entire film. I couldn't sit through the whole thing. I didn't care about the characters, and I couldn't tolerate the musical performances. Did anyone leave the theater whistling one of the tunes? No, not memorable enough. Expand
GreatMartinDec 30, 2016
I LOVE jazz, love stores and Hollywood musical movies so why is my reaction to "La La Land", which right now seems to be the one to beat for the Best Movie Oscar and Golden Globe, so blah? Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone have chemistry as theI LOVE jazz, love stores and Hollywood musical movies so why is my reaction to "La La Land", which right now seems to be the one to beat for the Best Movie Oscar and Golden Globe, so blah? Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone have chemistry as the lovers from the boy meets girl, boy loves girl, boy loses girl in the acting department but are sorely lacking in the singing and dancing department though Gosling acquits himself in piano playing.

Everything you read, including comments by the director and screenwriter Damien Chazelle, has remarks about it being a salute to old Hollywood movies and to Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse, Judy Garland but,with no disrespect, unless this was a take-off of all mentioned, and even if Charisse's voice was dubbed, "La La Land" fails miserably. I have seen some talk about it saluting Jacques Demy and Michel Legrand's movies "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "The young Girls of Rochefort" which it does in some departments such as the production design by David Wasco and the costume designs by Mary Zophres. Regarding the choreography by Mandy Moore the opening is really a winner but in other scenes she is let down by Stone and Gosling who just don't have it when it comes to doing the steps she has for them. There is one scene where they are dancing in the stars, at the Griffith Observatory planetarium after watching the James Dean movie "Rebel Without a Cause", that is more special effects than dancing.

The music by Justin Hurwitz with lyrics by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul sort of get lost except for the jazz music which comes across strong, melodic. The love theme lyrics are still somewhat a mystery to me though it is sung and played a few times.

The climax lasting about twenty minutes, a recap of what has taken place for the first 100 minutes, jell everything together but, for me, it was too late.I think I would have been much happier and appreciated the movie, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone just seeing that section.

J.K. Simmons, who was in Chazells's "Whiplash" and won an Oscar for his role does a brief cameo here while John Legend does an extended one, neither adding or taking away from the movie.

The bottom line is that "La La Land", for me, was not worth the time though I am sure I am in a very small minority. It might have helped if I hadn't seen the Broadway version of "An American In Paris" in Miami this past Tuesday where the leads were amazing dancers and strong singers.

P.S. When will the fad of young actors wearing that 5 o'clock shadow stubble on their faces end? ARGH!!
LisqJan 26, 2017
I DONT UNDERSTAND THAT! This movie is BORING. It is just a crap. It is a bad movie. The plot doesn't have any sense, the graphic/effects are POOR. Stone's smiles and eyes are ugly, but she's a decent actress. Gosling is a BAD actor, he hasI DONT UNDERSTAND THAT! This movie is BORING. It is just a crap. It is a bad movie. The plot doesn't have any sense, the graphic/effects are POOR. Stone's smiles and eyes are ugly, but she's a decent actress. Gosling is a BAD actor, he has one smile on his face during the entire movie, a smile of a poor dog. They sing only few songs and they don't even "sing". Stone moans, Gosling mumbles. The plot is cut into few pieces, the dialogues are **** the plot is boring and bad. There's been 10000 of similar plots - they met and hate each other, then they fall in love, then they break up just to come back again. Boring. I can't believe it receives golden globes, I can't believe Gosling and Stone won for "best actors". It's pathetic.If you want to see it - please DON'T. Expand
subseqJan 14, 2017
My wife and I went to see this on a date night last Saturday, and was wowed by the opening scene, the wild and fun dance number on the overpass. Wonderful! Then the movie went right into the crapper. The instant the Emma Stone characterMy wife and I went to see this on a date night last Saturday, and was wowed by the opening scene, the wild and fun dance number on the overpass. Wonderful! Then the movie went right into the crapper. The instant the Emma Stone character flipped off the Ryan Gosling character from her car it was done. The rest of the movie was just as awful. And the next day this film went on to set a record for most Golden Globe awards. Who are these people who think this dreck is anything? It is another in a long line of pathetically pointless postmodern films, it has no direction, no depth, no dramatic tension, nothing to draw you into the story or the characters. Ryan Gosling's an okay actor (I liked him in Lars and the Real Girl and The Big Short) and Emma Stone's a poor one - she's just trying too hard and it was difficult to watch. What was this movie trying to be? A musical? A fantasy? A love story, comedy, drama??? Today's reigning postmodernism allows filmmakers to feel they can string a bunch of vacuous scenes together that appear to have some artistic novelty and think it's quality work. What is most scary is that Millennials eat this up. "Oh that part is so unique and special and it personally speaks to me because I myself have no direction or meaning in my life!" I see it in young adults' eyes everywhere. "There is no truth, I can make my own world, nobody can tell me what to do. And we can dance and sing to it!" Neither Gosling or Stone did those things very well, and the music was dreadful. It was agony to sit through this narcissistic adulation of nothingness. It got two Metacritic rating points here simply because of the first number. Expand
chrisvbFeb 27, 2017
Wow, I knew this movie would be pretentious, but i thought it would at least be interesting. I was wrong. I actually fell asleep in the theater, the first time I've ever done that.
ZybaneFeb 25, 2017
This movie was absolutely terrible. I took a date to see it as she wanted to see it (of course), I was bored out of my mind. The movie had absolutely no substance.
GadlajkAug 24, 2017
This movie is so overrated that I had to run on my PC just to give it a rating it deserves. People are full of **** movie is pretty bland with terrible ending.
Spike21Apr 24, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. La La Land, not quite my tempo.

In general, I do not enjoy musicals, so I kept my expectations as low as possible before viewing this one.

I do not think I have ever been more bored in my life, and I have literally watched paint dry. I cared a little about Sebastian, because he was devoted in jazz, even in some weird way, but not at all about Mia, who wanted to become an actress but had not even watched "Rebel Without a Cause" and did not convince in any other way during the movie about her devotion in acting (e.g., saying something about her favorite scene or actress and how that made her feel, we just see her going through terrible auditions).

Someway along the movie we get our scheduled love-fight, meant to temporarily separate the couple, so that the plot can move on. The way the fight escalates is laughable. At this point I realized that the script might have been written by an AI and not a human being. But, anyway, Sebastian makes it up for her, and the couple is about to reunite, but they put their relationship in a pause in order for them to pursue their dreams. That is logical. It turns out that Mia meets someone else, marries him, and has a child. That is also logical and can happen in real life. What is not logical is the fact that they have not kept in touch during all those years and act all surprised when they meet by chance again after 5 years. Doesn't technology exist in this movie? Phone calls? E-mails? Airplanes? I would have fought nail and tooth to reunite with my loved one, and if failed, put some closure, within months, at most. This is so stupid!
lexymonApr 28, 2017
Omg, I just could not continue to watch it. I think it has been a looooong time since I've seen something that boring, uninteresting and just bad. Can't believe that movie was critically acclaimed almost everywhere. What's wrong with those people?
perlmaneDec 26, 2016
How can you make a musical where the stars can't sing or dance? This movie is made for people who want to be "stars". Other than the Jazz, the rest of the music is uninspired. Other movies are much better to see than this one. Horrible.
lilkillpappyApr 18, 2017
Most overrated film in history. A musical with actors that can't sing or dance? A story that is flat and shallow. Music that is cringe worthy. This film has zero value, and I really like musicals, so don't even think I'm some hater.
JMalikFeb 8, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the most OVERRATED FILM in the recorded history. GODAMNITT!! It is just pure BORINGG minutes of slowly death by absurd story and fantasy characters that sing and dance just because. My god this film could be done in 30 minutes top!!. Theres no sad or joyfull story its just a guy and a girl that get together and split, nothing else, the guy is mad bout jazz music and the girl wants to be a pro actress, apart from that nothing else. Its a film ment for adults to see but eventually its very childish and so boring. Ahh ryan gosling can not act , thats a fact. Also I was exhausted after hearing the same f***ing song on the piano that went like this...."city of starssssszzzzzzzzzzzz " go to sleep. no way this film can get an oscar.PERIOD Expand
AnikyMar 21, 2017
Only music and dancing. Script missing. I don't like jazz, but i will talk to a random guy that was playing jazz on piano. Not predictable ending, just random scenes.
BulgarianCriticNov 21, 2018
Holy Molly this was one of the most boring movies i have watched and the worse musical that i have seen in my entire life.Were the people who gave this movie an award blind and deaf?DO NOT WASTE YOUR PRECIOUS TIME ON THIS SNOOZEFEST
moviegoer1944Feb 26, 2017
La La Land is a poor attempt to copy 1950s era musicals; i.e., it's a musical wannabe, but that genre died out sixty years ago. Neither Gosling nor Stone can sing, but they're in a musical? The plot is impossible and very weak, and afterLa La Land is a poor attempt to copy 1950s era musicals; i.e., it's a musical wannabe, but that genre died out sixty years ago. Neither Gosling nor Stone can sing, but they're in a musical? The plot is impossible and very weak, and after suffering the insult to our intelligence and senses for about 30 minutes, we walked out on this movie, disgusted that we just spent a half hour of our lives we'll never get back - and spent it on a horrible movie that was not the least bit entertaining, memorable or worth twenty bucks. It wouldn't even be worth the time to download a freebie copy from the internet. Our recommendation on La La Land is to SAVE YOUR MONEY!! Expand
thedaarkbattyJan 19, 2017
Absolute dog crap film. I have seen better stuff while watching youtube. If you want to plat a good musical plat the effing mariomovie. its more catchy then this!
Eastie_BeastieJan 21, 2017
This is the most overrated pile of crap i have ever seen in my life. It is so amatourish. Not to sure about the storyline as i gave up on it as it was just stupid. I cant think of anything more boring than this "movie(?????)" Uwe Boll moviesThis is the most overrated pile of crap i have ever seen in my life. It is so amatourish. Not to sure about the storyline as i gave up on it as it was just stupid. I cant think of anything more boring than this "movie(?????)" Uwe Boll movies seems to be much more entertaining than this. How come its 9.3 on metacritic. Backhanders maybe? This movie is bad. Expand
ArgentSouLFeb 19, 2017
Is a stupid 2hs musical, I went to see it only cause of score.. but many people left while I stay there watching without a cause, and the male protagonist is a **** ... you can appreciate it in the first second you see him
cyndieJan 17, 2017
JoeCoolMay 22, 2019
I didn't like the story much. It has some good moments but not a lot. What the hell was I watching? Very overrated movie. I put off seeing it as I'm not really into musicals. I had to force myself to watch it all the way through and now II didn't like the story much. It has some good moments but not a lot. What the hell was I watching? Very overrated movie. I put off seeing it as I'm not really into musicals. I had to force myself to watch it all the way through and now I feel worse for having seen it. Universal acclaim, man, your opinion may differ. Expand
Zezo94Jul 7, 2020
Boooooooooooooooooring So bad I can’t complete the movie Don’t watch it
ovcmApr 20, 2020
Que falta de gracia en esta película,ni música ni baile ni nada.Que vergüenza comparada con los grandes musicales de Hollywood del pasado
Toasty87Jul 11, 2020
Absolute stupid story and script turned it off after a few minutes only the style makes it not 0/10.
GazMoviesSep 19, 2020
Horrible film I would go so far as to say this is the worst film I have ever seen! I am not really a fan of Musicals but this was just terrible I think me and the critics must have been watching a different film, I watched it with someone whoHorrible film I would go so far as to say this is the worst film I have ever seen! I am not really a fan of Musicals but this was just terrible I think me and the critics must have been watching a different film, I watched it with someone who is a fan of Musicals and even they hated it. Hopefully I will remember never to watch this again. So glad I could give it a zero,I usually am slightly generous with my ratings and I feel giving this movie a 0 contines that trend. Expand