Filmcoopi Zürich | Release Date: April 6, 2018
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 49 Ratings
Watch Now
TVJerryMay 4, 2018
What appears to be the story of a boy and a horse turns into more, as it follows him on a search for connection. Charlie Plummer (who was the kidnapped Getty in All the Money in the World) is in virtually every frame of this film. HisWhat appears to be the story of a boy and a horse turns into more, as it follows him on a search for connection. Charlie Plummer (who was the kidnapped Getty in All the Money in the World) is in virtually every frame of this film. His innocent vulnerability and subtlety of emotion bodes well for his future in Hollywood. He's touchingly compelling. Even though the narrative might strain credibility a bit, every part is well-acted and the quietly-paced quest is directed with sensitivity without ever being sentimental. Expand
GreatMartinMay 3, 2018
What could be more ‘Hollywood’ than a film about a boy and his horse? Well “Lean On Pete” is not Hollywood but a film directed and written by British Andrew Haigh and just about an hour into the film you will jump out of your seat or gasp asWhat could be more ‘Hollywood’ than a film about a boy and his horse? Well “Lean On Pete” is not Hollywood but a film directed and written by British Andrew Haigh and just about an hour into the film you will jump out of your seat or gasp as loud as you ever have in a theatre.

The film starts off with Charley (Charlie Plummer) running in the morning in Portland, Oregon, where he and his father Ray (Travis Fimmel) have recently moved from Spokane, Washington.

Charley is a 15-year-old boy waiting for school to start so he can play football though it is hard to picture him as a player being thin and almost gangly. He only remembers his mother from a picture and his father is more of an acting high school kid than his son is. Charley remembers his aunt, a maternal figure, who, because of his father, they have become estranged.

The first hour of the movie shows Charley running and seeing a billboard about a racetrack and he goes there one day and meets horse owner Del (Steve Buscemi) who owns some racing horses and gives Charley a job helping out. The racetrack that Del runs a few of his horses are third rate just as his horses are but they are no better or worse than the ones they are running against. It is here where he meets veteran jockey Bonnie (Chloe Sevigny) who advises him that these horses are not pets. He also meets the horse, Lean On Pete, who Del is ready to give up on and sell.

In Lean On Pete Charley finds a friend that he can talk to, tell all he wants from life and what he has had and hasn’t had and when a series of incidences take place both for the boy and the horse the boy decides to save him. He, also, decides to look for his aunt.

Though the first hour of the film is easy going it is also realistic showing people living a real life, being poor, trying to survive and lives ruined by poor choices or not having opportunities to better themselves and accepting their lot in life.

The second hour of the film takes a completely different turn starting from the event that is referred to in the first paragraph. At times it is difficult to watch but never less than realistic just as the interchange between Charley and an abused granddaughter, though brief, is memorable or the one where a waitress becomes his heroine and many other intimate but fleeting moments between him and people will make you smile, feel sad and all emotions that a boy lost in a world he doesn’t know feels.

The remarkable performance by Charlie Plummer gathers a tremendous amount of empathy from the audience as it feels true and you want this boy to be a winner.

There isn’t a false note from anyone in the cast and this picture is probably not the one you expected to see walking in but, by the end, you will be glad you saw it.
moviemitch96Apr 28, 2018
This film genuinely touched and moved me in a way no other film has in quite a while! At first glance, it may appear to be a relatively straightforward "boy and his horse" type story, but really it's so much more. It's also a subtle, yetThis film genuinely touched and moved me in a way no other film has in quite a while! At first glance, it may appear to be a relatively straightforward "boy and his horse" type story, but really it's so much more. It's also a subtle, yet brutally honest statement and look at poverty and trying to get by every day little by little in America. Charlie Plummer graces us with such a raw and unflinching performance as well and proves himself to be a true up and coming talent! Overall, it's one heavy film, but it also has a lot to say and manages to be both poignant and highly moving all at the same time! Expand
nosajholtApr 30, 2018
Charlie Plummer reminded me of a vulnerable River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho. The depth of despair and scary moments living on the streets in America was profound, and deeply moving. Beautifully filmed, it was an epic journey, withCharlie Plummer reminded me of a vulnerable River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho. The depth of despair and scary moments living on the streets in America was profound, and deeply moving. Beautifully filmed, it was an epic journey, with sweeping views of Eastern Washington's desert, and the streets of Portland and other Northwest towns. It showed how easy it can be for children to be left behind, left on the streets, slip from the system into homelessness. Charlie Plummer deserves an Oscar nod with this stellar and moving performance. Expand
justwibiOct 7, 2018
unpredictable, sensitive, heartbreaking and beautiful! Charlie Plummer is the right person for the lead. and Andrew Haigh is definitely do the great job... again!
The3AcademySinsApr 17, 2018
Lean on Pete is a powerful epic of a film. Lean on Pete is more of a commentary of being poor/homeless in rural America than a "boy and his horse" story. The harrowing depictions of the poor, the beautiful desolation of the land, and theLean on Pete is a powerful epic of a film. Lean on Pete is more of a commentary of being poor/homeless in rural America than a "boy and his horse" story. The harrowing depictions of the poor, the beautiful desolation of the land, and the amazing performance by Charlie Plummer are all captured by masterful cinematography and truly breathtaking direction. I believe A24 makes some of the best films in Hollywood these days, and Lean on Pete is another impressive notch on their belt. The film is a little more than two hours long, but it'll leave you on the edge of your seat. Expand
Jordy1128May 31, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this to be a horribly disappointing experience. I thought this was about a boy and a horse saving each other but halfway through the movie the horse was killed. I regret the time I spent watching it. As soon as Pete was killed, I stopped watching the movie. Maybe I'm just not a people person, but after the horse's brutal death, I could care less what happened to the boy. This movie was misleading. I had nothing to do with the two saving each other. The horse is brutally killed despite the young boy's efforts to save him. Why didn't he just leave him on the ranch he stopped at and let the rest of the movie focus on Charlie? I just found it too painful too watch. Expand
MattBrady99Aug 23, 2018
"I just miss him a lot. I miss him so much."

"I just miss him a lot. I miss him so much."

I've heard little things about this hidden gem and the great praise it got at festivals, but nothing else after that. So upon seeing this on the list of movies on a plane journey home, I gave it a try, and was instinctively blown away

You know there’s something special when your jaw drops in disbelief during an exhausting flight home.

‘Lean on Pete’ begins with a narrative that you most likely have seen before, so immediately you start noticing plot points from other movies. However, the film takes a shift into a completely new direction, nowhere near the climax, just the middle segment.

Becoming a bitter look at loneliness.

Charlie Plummer was absolutely superb. Definitely a breakout performance, as this is the first movie I've seen him and I want to see more him. His character doesn't make the smartest decisions, yet that never distracts you from the movie and you understand where he's coming from.

Steve Buscemi, Travis Fimmel, Chloë Sevigny, and Steve Zahn were all great and you bought into their characters. With the amount of screen they got, they still left a strong impression on me.

I haven’t seen any of Andrew Haigh other movies, such as ‘Weekend’ & ‘47 Years’. This is my first introduction to his movies and I want to check out more of Haigh work. Just the way he directs actors and bringing such a natural touch to the story or characters made the experience real to me. Also the cinematography was beautiful and captured the sense of being in Pacific Northwest of America. While not being visually masterful, and yet didn't need to be.

Overall rating: Check it out
JLuis_001Sep 22, 2018
At first instance its story might seem repetitive and maybe even bad but it's always good when you get your mouth shut with quality and what the proposal of this film is much better than I expected in the first place, therefore Lean On PeteAt first instance its story might seem repetitive and maybe even bad but it's always good when you get your mouth shut with quality and what the proposal of this film is much better than I expected in the first place, therefore Lean On Pete becomes a true revelation.

Even in spite of the sentimentality and certain melodrama the film manages to feel genuine because the characters make it feel genuine and what could quickly fall into terrible cliches, manages to get ahead pretty well.

A small and hidden surprise, but those are the best.
Bizzylorenzo70Jul 19, 2018
Just a wonderful movie! As many reviewers have noted, a bravura performance by Charlie Plummer, and really the whole cast is superb. Steve Buscemi is always great, Chloe Sevigny is completely believable as a shady jockey, and it's great toJust a wonderful movie! As many reviewers have noted, a bravura performance by Charlie Plummer, and really the whole cast is superb. Steve Buscemi is always great, Chloe Sevigny is completely believable as a shady jockey, and it's great to see Alison Elliott again in a most moving role. I can't believe it's been 20 years since I saw her wonderful performance in "Spitfire Grill". I surely am getting old. Expand
ahmedaiman9999Jul 18, 2018
I liked Charlie Plummer's performance in All the Money in the World as John Paul Getty III, and since then I became interested in his upcoming roles. In Lean On Pete, Charlie Plummer proved to me that he is not just a good young actor, but heI liked Charlie Plummer's performance in All the Money in the World as John Paul Getty III, and since then I became interested in his upcoming roles. In Lean On Pete, Charlie Plummer proved to me that he is not just a good young actor, but he is a very talented, and promising, actor. His character is fully-developed, and there are some very powerful lines that helped to flesh out this character, therefore, it became a very interesting one. But Charlie's performance made his character, Charley, even more relatable. His face expressions and reactions are enough to express the character's mind, and even to state what his character is thinking about at this particular moment. Travis Fimmel, as Charley's dad, gave an interesting performance. Also, Steve Buscemi and Steve Zahn were fantastic, and stole every scene they are in. There's only one character that hasn't much screen time, yet has a central role, that was really poorly written, and the actor who played it also wasn't good. So I was a bit disappointed to see that a character that seemed to have an important role in the story to end up to be nothing but stereotypical and thinly-written character.

The Cinematography is mesmerizing in this movie, and really fits the movie's haunting atmosphere. Definitely one of the best-looking movies in 2018, so far. Just behind Paddington 2.

The soundtrack also as functional as the cinematography, and the songs themselves are very touching and emotional.

Although it's one of the movie's virtues that it avoids melodrama clichés, I think the movie neither as harrowing enough as Good Time, nor as realistic enough as Manchester By the Sea to be as poignant, or moving, as it wanted to be. Overall, Lean On Pete is a moving picaresque tale that avoids being very sentimental to evoke your feelings, instead, it relies on its three-dimensional protagonist that is anchored by Charlie Plummer's wonderful performance. Also, the plot unfolds in a way that you can never expect, you will really be shocked many times. Charley has no one to turn to. He's truly alone, hence, you will really care about him very much.

(8.5/10)
monicadebrest1Jun 28, 2018
This Movie was pretty good. The connection between Charlie and Pete was very moving. Charlie's unique relationship with dad was realty for most teens. But the breath of fresh air was the connection he was able to rekindle with his estrangedThis Movie was pretty good. The connection between Charlie and Pete was very moving. Charlie's unique relationship with dad was realty for most teens. But the breath of fresh air was the connection he was able to rekindle with his estranged Aunt. Overall I thought the movie was heartwarming and believable.
Dan Cole
starflyerboyJul 30, 2018
The story deteriorates a bit in the third act but there is no doubt that Haigh has the utmost compassion for his characters.
Bertaut1Aug 3, 2018
Decent enough, but not a patch on Haigh's previous work

Decent enough, but not a patch on Haigh's previous work

15-year-old Charley Thompson (Charlie Plummer) lives with his father, Ray (Travis Fimmel), who is drinking himself into an early grave. Finding work caring for an ageing race horse named Lean on Pete, Charley is devastated when he learns that Pete's owner, Del Montgomery (Steve Buscemi), is planning to slaughter the animal. Determined to save his friend, Charley steals Pete, and the two set out on an odyssey across the modern American frontier.

Fans of writer/director Andrew Haigh will know his unassailable talent for what one might label unsentimental emotionalism; his films deal with intensely emotional situations without lapsing into Speilbergian fawnishness. And, although compared to the excellent Weekend (2011), and the masterful 45 Years (2015), Lean on Pete is a touch melodramatic, Haigh's talent for allowing character and theme to rise organically to the surface through quiet moments of introspection is still very much to the fore. So why not a higher score? Adapted from Willy Vlautin's 2010 novel of the same name, the biggest problem with the film is that things are laid on too thick; Charley is very much a Job figure, and suffers such a litany of misfortunes that one fully expects him to be diagnosed with terminal cancer. Similarly, the pseudo-allegorical nature of the characters he encounters is too on-the-nose for the realistic milieu Haigh has crafted. Part state-of-the-nation address, part bildungsroman, it's worth a look, but is ultimately lacking a satisfying thematic through-line.
CosiMOLOGOSep 10, 2018
A24, a dado gratas sorpresas en la sección de producciones independientes. Este año trae Hereditary, una joya del horror moderno de la que escribiré en un futuro. Y el año pasado Lady Bird, la historia de una chica rebelde y terca y suA24, a dado gratas sorpresas en la sección de producciones independientes. Este año trae Hereditary, una joya del horror moderno de la que escribiré en un futuro. Y el año pasado Lady Bird, la historia de una chica rebelde y terca y su proceso de maduración. Pero ahora es distinto, un adolescente consigue un trabajo de verano trabajando para un entrenador de caballos y se hace amigo del caballo de carreras, Lean on Pete.

La historia se va construyendo poco a poco y de los que parece ser un simple drama, el director termina sacando una historia mucho más desarrollada. La actuación de Charlie Plummer de 18 años, como Charley de 16 está genial. Las emociones que transmiten Charlie, junto con el montaje y la fotografía son genuinas. La película llega a conmover y emocionar. Es un retrato hermoso de la vida de un joven y como afronta diversos infortunios. No llega a caer en efectismos y se mantiene sobria. Una de las mejores propuestas independientes del año. Muestra a una sociedad triste y el sueño americano. Como Charley se va formando experimentando lo peor que le puede suceder a un chico de su edad, las decisiones que tiene que tomar y a que le conducen.
bataguilaNov 14, 2018
Aburrida, contemplativa, lo mejor es cuanod matan al papa, y cuando matan al caballo