| Release Date: April 27, 2018
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 28 Ratings
Watch Now
fredericwoodJun 3, 2018
It's a brutally honest film, including a few uncomfortable scenes. Watching this film actually made me reflect on personal experience and see how stupid some past actions can be. Searching for love is not all rose and honey. We stumble alongIt's a brutally honest film, including a few uncomfortable scenes. Watching this film actually made me reflect on personal experience and see how stupid some past actions can be. Searching for love is not all rose and honey. We stumble along the way. Not a polished film but feels real and close to life. Expand
sachineldhoJan 11, 2019
This Claire Denis movie is surely a work of art, but it fails to entertain. The cinematography is so good. But the film, though it is only around 90 minutes, drags terribly.
epikvideoApr 29, 2018
Slow moving, dull, lingering nonsense at times. Not even Juliette could save this.
NVjeanetteJun 23, 2018
sexually incontinent men interact with emotionally & sexually incontinent woman peppered with oblique strings of words that attempt to pass for conversation. watching expressions flit across juliette binoche's face is actually mesmerizingsexually incontinent men interact with emotionally & sexually incontinent woman peppered with oblique strings of words that attempt to pass for conversation. watching expressions flit across juliette binoche's face is actually mesmerizing for up to maybe 30 minutes, so i didn't tank my score. Expand
TVJerryMay 28, 2018
Warning! This is a very French film, meaning lots of talk and a dash of sex. Juliette Binoche plays an artist (although it doesn't really matter) who runs thru several men trying to find a connection. As is typical, she's lovely and sexy,Warning! This is a very French film, meaning lots of talk and a dash of sex. Juliette Binoche plays an artist (although it doesn't really matter) who runs thru several men trying to find a connection. As is typical, she's lovely and sexy, while most of the men are neither. There's lots of dialogue about life and love, but it's just a painful exercise in human observation. The only interesting thing is that the closing credits run over the last scene, which at least makes the whole affair a bit shorter. In French with subtitles. Expand
GreatMartinMay 15, 2018
If a movie is a love story, whether it be about lost love, a new love, falling in love, falling out of love, not knowing love, I am there. Add Juliette Binoche and it is a movie I must see. Not all movies about love are good and Binoche hasIf a movie is a love story, whether it be about lost love, a new love, falling in love, falling out of love, not knowing love, I am there. Add Juliette Binoche and it is a movie I must see. Not all movies about love are good and Binoche has made a couple of bad movies but she is always worth watching and this goes for the French film "Un beau soleeil interieur" known in the USA as "Let The Sunshine In" which is a bad film but she looks great! In her search for love whether it be with her ex, a married man, an actor or a pickup it doesn't take long to realize that the men she goes after are just the same as she is--not willing to commit!

The film opens with a typical, take for granted, scene of two people having sex and discussing if they did or will climax. The man is married and will not leave his wife because she is 'extraordinary'. Next is the actor who she seduces and this beautiful and smart woman continues on the merry-go-round of bed-hopping leading to nowhere. She does not get what she wants or needs from the men and they get neither from her.

I know I didn't fall asleep--I don't--but all of a sudden Binoche is sitting across from Gerard Depardieu who is either psychic, a psychologist, a soothsayer or something else as in the last 10 minutes they talk and the credits scroll across their faces.

Can you remember the last good film you saw about love? The only one that comes to mind for me is "Love, Simon"!

The acting from Binoche, Xavier Beauvois as the married man, Nicolas Duvachelle as the actor and Laurent Grevill as her ex and Bruno Podalydes as an artist are fine but the movie isn't.
DrBlahBlahJan 26, 2019
Easily the best foreign film of the year (and one of the best of all time), this film gives a suggestive, elegant script and a perfect performance from Juliette Binoche room to breathe - and it's a refreshing breath of air.
JLuis_001Aug 15, 2018
Although this film is a romantic drama with comedy overtones its quality separates it from many other films that fall into that category, especially so many dumb American romantic comedies.

Let the Sunshine In is a film with a simple and

Let the Sunshine In is a film with a simple and practical history, but it's the good work of its director and also of its protagonist; Juliette Binoche who since Clouds of Sils Maria has had a good run with the exception of the forgettable ''The 33'', which puts it on a higher scale.
juliewuMay 26, 2018
If you dislike French culture this movie will confirm your taste. 1/2 way through my friend said "Every person in this movie is an a-hole" and I had to agree. Binoche plays a 50 yr old who is emotionally 15-- & her idiocy makes the entireIf you dislike French culture this movie will confirm your taste. 1/2 way through my friend said "Every person in this movie is an a-hole" and I had to agree. Binoche plays a 50 yr old who is emotionally 15-- & her idiocy makes the entire movie feel fake (how can an artist and older woman be this stupid about men?!?) Expand
imdoingmypartJun 1, 2018
Have we seen enough romantic comedies? While many of us are burnt out on the genre, there still seems to be a market for such films as trailers do not seem to stop appearing in the theaters. It would be childish to write off an entire genreHave we seen enough romantic comedies? While many of us are burnt out on the genre, there still seems to be a market for such films as trailers do not seem to stop appearing in the theaters. It would be childish to write off an entire genre of film, especially one that has indeed produced some quality and thought-provoking works, but it tends to be a “needle in a haystack” situation. Believe it or not, conflicts do not always lead to resolution.

Let the Sunshine In is a film more committed to its characters than to its story, for better and for worse. The film rides on the wonderful lead performance by Juliette Binoche as a middle-aged woman named Isabelle who just wants to find true love. Isabelle is introduced at the end of a sexual encounter with a wealthy banker for whom she has little to no personal connection. Without any expository dialogue, within the first minute the cards are laid out on the table. Isabelle is unsatisfied. She sleeps with the banker in order to curb loneliness and a lack of security, but she is not happy. What follows is a journey of self-discovery, though, at times, it seems that Isabelle is caught in cyclical despair (as are many female leads in rom-coms).

Though it is a bit slow at times, Let the Sunshine In is an entirely personal film. While most films feature characters who fit certain roles and functions in the story, this film is simply about people interacting with one another. I was reminded of The Florida Project, another film that does not care about story as much as it cares about letting the audience truly get to know people, people who are often not very likable, charming, or fun to watch. But these films are not interested in entertainment, they are interested in personal connection, and, even if some people cannot fully understand all of Isabelle’s problems and decisions, most of us can, in some part, understand the frustration of the search for love.
starflyerboyJul 29, 2018
Top level work from Binoche and Denis. Unobtrusive direction and a completely mezmerizing lead performance.