Saban Films | Release Date: August 9, 2019
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 35 Ratings
Watch Now
CasandraComplexJan 1, 2020
It's been awhile since I've reviewed so I have a backlog to tend to. Light of my life is one of those well intentioned movies that hit all of the hallmarks that make artsy fartsy movie goers froth at the mouth and genuflect to the gods ofIt's been awhile since I've reviewed so I have a backlog to tend to. Light of my life is one of those well intentioned movies that hit all of the hallmarks that make artsy fartsy movie goers froth at the mouth and genuflect to the gods of their own self importance. Now don't get me wrong, I love a genuinely well made repertoire styled film. However, this film feels as though it's trying so very hard to be one and yet without any real substance. Some things that bugged me about the film are such; Casey Aflecks voice when speaking with his child, usually at night or in close quarters for the majority of the film really begins to grate on ones nerves. The other thing is the subtext. Men are bad and the world would descend into chaos without women in our society. After a while. I began challenging this premise in my mind as I was watching it.I think about logging towns, mining towns and ships out to sea for extended periods of time and how the rule of law isn't destroyed because of the lack of the opposite sex. The other factor is how everyone appears to be on government food handouts and jobless which really doesn't make any sense at all. As if the whole economy, workforce and rule of law suddenly all breaks down (even after 7 years??) because of the sudden loss of the majority of the female population. That's about as thought provoking as this film gets to me. The rest is a slow as molasses exercise in repetition and futility. I gained zero insights and found that the story really had nothing else to say. I'm creating a score of my own for level of propaganda in each show.. Light of My Life gets a 2 out of 10 for perpetuating the current dogma that men are bad. 10 being the most egregious levels of propaganda. Expand
Mauro_LanariNov 26, 2019
(Mauro Lanari)
(Mauro Lanari)
It will remember "28 Days Later" (Boyle, 2002) and "Children of Men" (Cuarón, 2006), "The Road" (Hillcoat, 2009) and "The Book of Eli" (The Hughes Brothers, 2010), but when there's Casey, the Affleck who doesn't act better than his brother Ben and who however takes care of his cadaveric bodily and expressive emaciation so well that Van Sant has made him an icon of indie and authorial cinema since the "Death Trilogy" already just with the poster of "Gerry" (2002), we know perfectly well what we're going to face: festival juries and critics in ecstasy, audience on the run. I join the latter.
Jennifer626Jan 9, 2020
When an individual holds too much sway over the creation of a film, the end product almost always suffers. Tom Cruise, well-known for his tight control over the Mission Impossible franchise, micromanaged the 2017 remake of "The Mummy" toWhen an individual holds too much sway over the creation of a film, the end product almost always suffers. Tom Cruise, well-known for his tight control over the Mission Impossible franchise, micromanaged the 2017 remake of "The Mummy" to death. "Light of my Life" does not pretend to be a big-budget blockbuster, but its quality is undermined for a similar reason.

Casey Affleck is the director, writer, and lead actor in this film. When he wrote the many monologues for the father to sermonize, no one took him aside and advised him to cut their number and length. When he delivered the monologues as the father, no one told him that he needed to make his stuttering monotone more lilting and engaging. And clearly no one informed Casey as director that beginning the movie with a 12-minute (truth!) recitation of a derivative Noah's Ark story would kill audience interest at the outset.

And that is the frustration I had throughout this movie. There were enough variations on the road trip theme that this could have been an enthralling movie. The father and daughter aren't merely trying to survive a post-apocalyptic environment. He needs to protect her from the real-life horrors that young women risk today, but on an astronomically larger scale.

The movie shines when it illustrates these risks and progresses the plot by driving them in their quest for the ultimate safe house. When the pair was forced to gauge the trustworthiness of new companions or they were fleeing from undesired ones, I was engaged and cheering them on. But active moments make up far too little of the film. If you watch the trailer, you've seen clips from most of them. Independent advisors would undoubtedly have counseled Affleck accordingly.

The movie also brushes past the details of both the epidemic and life after the epidemic. When the couple visited a government dispensary or the father mentioned how critical it was to have proper ID, I wanted to learn more about the world had morphed in response to the loss of half of its population. But no, the film doggedly returned to more rambling from the father as the two cowered in a foxhole.

I watched the whole movie because I was interested enough in the ending, but I strung it out over 3 days to minimize the tedium. If you decide to see it, fast forward through the first 12 minutes. You'll thank me, I promise.
gt1967Apr 10, 2020
This movie is a seriously tedious watch. The 2 lead characters are bland and unconvincing as a father, daughter combo. The dialogue is far too preachy, the opening scene sets the tone and is excrutiating to watch. If you make it through thisThis movie is a seriously tedious watch. The 2 lead characters are bland and unconvincing as a father, daughter combo. The dialogue is far too preachy, the opening scene sets the tone and is excrutiating to watch. If you make it through this and decide to stick with it in the hope that something interesting will eventually happen, I'm afraid like me you'll be bitterley disappointed. Expand
SWEEPtheLEG175Aug 10, 2019
Both actors do a great job, but the story is just too slow. I am a sucker for these types of films and this is by no means a bad film, it just wasn't good. If you like Casey Affleck and films like "The Road"(I do) then you might enjoy thisBoth actors do a great job, but the story is just too slow. I am a sucker for these types of films and this is by no means a bad film, it just wasn't good. If you like Casey Affleck and films like "The Road"(I do) then you might enjoy this movie. ***The next line is about a specific part in the movie, I do not think it is a spoiler(you see some action in the trailer), but if you are worried then stop reading. I really struggled with Casey's character at the end when he drops a weapon knowing there are a few more bad guys to deal with, that is poor writing and takes me out the movie. Nobody would ever do that in a real situation. Expand
JLuis_001Sep 2, 2019
When I read the synopsis part of me thought of The Road. The beginning reaffirmed it to me but soon the movie gets its own voice, which was something good.

Light of My Life tells the story of a father and his young daughter who is pretending to be his son. The reason for this is a global plague that attacks only women and because of it pretty much all of the women have died.

Up to that point everything looks good but Casey Affleck makes several mistakes and the film falls several times and his decision to impose an indie horror style that has been seen too much in recent years makes it a bit repetitive in narrative and visual terms. The fastest comparison that comes to mind is ''It Comes At Night'' and that's where perhaps the key problem of this film lies: Affleck confuses things and in his apparent attempt to make a more artistic film loses the rhythm too many times and the narrative slowness doesn't make it any favors. More than once the pace will test your patience.

In general terms it never ceases to be a good film, nothing exceptional but nothing disappointing either.
I liked it although I wasn't amazed as I expected however as a filmmaking debut it was good enough.
truerockNov 30, 2019
Ten minutes into "Light of My Life" a lot of individuals will draw comparison to "The Road" in several different ways. Not the least of which is that they are both low budget films with limited distribution.

Regardless, stripping human

Regardless, stripping human civilization down to it's essential components as a plot device can always be an excellent way to step back and think about how and why we are.

The technicals of this film are very good.

Working with child actors is always a challenge. But, nowadays it seems the quality of and availability of child talent is definitely much better than it used to be. Anna Pniowsky provides a very good portrayal of her character.

When "The Road" received its limited release in 2009, I had to track down the single art film theater in the Greater Houston Texas Metroplex to watch it. In 2019 you will have multiple ways to gain access to "Light of My Life" - and, I would recommend that you do.
apnickApr 11, 2020
Contrary to the negative reviewers, I liked Casey Affleck’s performance and the slowness of the film. I thought it was better than other films in the genre, including The Road.
amheretojudgeAug 25, 2019
I am sorry I couldn't see anything past Affleck's jarring performance, actually I don't regret it.

Light Of My Life Affleck's sincerity is a dangerous animal. I fear it. He shakes you and rattles your most delicate source of emotional

Light Of My Life

Affleck's sincerity is a dangerous animal. I fear it. He shakes you and rattles your most delicate source of emotional history. Or maybe it is the emotional history that I carry and hence easily find myself in his shoes. Ergo I find this story inspirationally and creatively beautiful. In fact, there have been such films in recent years like The Road, Captain Fantastic and Leave No Trace. But none of them worked for me like this eccentrically standard film did. It is shot with familiar steady camera work. Cassey Affleck, the writer, director and actor, was aware of how and where things should go.

And it is not just a reminder of how good his execution is, it is also that as an artist, he isn't leaning towards any particular aspect, his generality seems like a generosity towards his work. And if his monologues or manifesto or speech or call it whatever cuts through all the fear then it is his final voice breaking spell, is what tears me down. So strong and so proud he marches on, in the entire film and so humbling his fall is in front of his daughter.

These metaphors of being a parent, political correctness and the madness of wildlife carries heavy themes. Compared to the previous films mentions, the reason why this one last a longer impact on us, is for it goes all in when it comes to reveal its true nature. The film isn't afraid on wandering in a cringe worthy zone, it is meticulously on mark to what it has to say. Just watch Affleck have the "birds and bees" talk with an unapologetic honest tone. Elizabeth Miss flashes in front of her eyes repeatedly whipping him whenever he trails off, when his vision goes blur from the Light Of My Life.
SiomeSep 21, 2020
never saw a so much boring movie. Acting i not conviecing. Story goes nowhere. Background is not used at all. No satisfying ending. Unfinishable conversations. BORED at the 3rd minute till the end.