Columbia Pictures | Release Date: December 25, 2019
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 176 Ratings
Watch Now
Brent_MarchantJan 4, 2020
A picture that prides itself on its fine performances and excellent period piece production design alone is not enough to elevate said release to cinematic greatness. So it is with director Greta Gerwig's new film adaptation of the classicA picture that prides itself on its fine performances and excellent period piece production design alone is not enough to elevate said release to cinematic greatness. So it is with director Greta Gerwig's new film adaptation of the classic novel "Little Women," a self-congratulatory offering that might look nice but rings inauthentic and tedious in many regards. This is particularly true for its almost-laughable screenplay, whose contemporary dialogue doesn't even begin to adequately suit the film's 19th Century setting. The nonlinear storytelling approach often doesn't work, either, given that there are few recognizable distinctions to separate different time frames from one another. And, while many of the portrayals are solid -- Florence Pugh, Laura Dern, Timothee Chalamet and Meryl Streep -- one can't help but cringe at the overwrought, award-baiting performance of Saoirse Ronan, whose mugging for the camera becomes tiresome quickly. For all its hype, "Little Women," unfortunately, leaves viewers with little to like. Expand
BHBarryDec 28, 2019
“Little Women” was written and directed by Greta Gerwig and stars Saoirse Ronan, Laura Dern, Emma Watson and a very forgettable total of 5 minutes of Meryl Streep.
Based on Louisa Mae Alcott’s novel the film does an injustice to the audience
Based on Louisa Mae Alcott’s novel the film does an injustice to the audience to which it is being exhibited. The large sums the producers spent on promoting the film would have been better utilized in the hiring of a strong editor and an additional writer for the movie is in dire need of a better script and better editing. The scenes depicting the characters and the years in which the events in their lives take place go back and forth so many times that the viewer has to rely upon the hairdos of the sisters in order to try to determine the proper chronology. Casting here is also subject to criticism since Bob Odenkirk (“Better Call Saul”) does not fit the image of the father of the girls nor does Chris Cooper (with enough makeup on to make a teenager look like Methusaleh) make a credible elderly neighbor. Both roles would have been better played by lesser known actors with no prominent identification problems.
I give the film a 5.0 rating with a special reward to the Public Relations person since he or she did a better job of hyping the film than did its writer-director in making it.
TerminalyStokeDec 26, 2019
Light and pleasant overall. The movie chooses to jump back and forth in time which isn't too difficult to keep track of, but makes the story feel disjointed. Performances were fine but the characters were uninspiring chaotic and over the topLight and pleasant overall. The movie chooses to jump back and forth in time which isn't too difficult to keep track of, but makes the story feel disjointed. Performances were fine but the characters were uninspiring chaotic and over the top at time. Marmie and Amy in my opinion we're the best played, whilst Emma Watson as Meg was forgettable and awkward. Expand
JLuis_001Dec 28, 2019
Opinions are opinions. Subjective or objective, but I find quite interesting the positive response the second feature film by Greta Gerwig has received, considering the so self-complacent film she created.
I personally believe that.
Do not
I personally believe that.

Do not confuse that feeling with me saying this is a misdone film. There's talent in her direction but Gerwig instead of looking for a challenge having the doors as open as she has them at the moment, she sat in the conformism and made a film that feels totally built as a ''For Your Consideration '' And be afraid if she's not considered.

I don't deny that Gerwig loves the novel, she shows it and certainly this version is her personal vision but despite the nice attempt, there's nothing new or fresh in her take.
I have to admit and emphasize that at this point it's completely stupid and naive to ask for a radical change in a story which has already been told a lot of times in film, however, it also cannot help feeling like a cheap mean of exploiting the story considering our current times, where feminism is now a driving force in the industry.
Like I said, she went for the safe bet.

And yet despite Gerwig's attempt to increase that specific plot weight, she also avoids going to issues that wouldn't work for the story she was trying to tell, because although they're not girls with money, they have the privilege of being protected from the civil war.

Jo is a young woman aware of herself and her mind, which in those times wasn't something positive but obviously the external world is not a concern for her, only her personal interests. And that's ok, we get to be that way, especially when we're young, but how do you try to make woke characters, if it's only in the things that suits them?
That's where the pertinent questions should be asked about what it was decided to take in order to make this new version work according to the director's perspective.

In the end, despite the production quality, Little Women is just a conventional and ordinary repetition of a literary classic that I personally think has already been too used.
But the proposal works both to be loved and to be hated and that depends a lot on the mentality you carry with you when you go to see it.
As always the rest depends on what you get from the film.
KeithDowDec 27, 2019
‘Little Women’ is simply a story of its time … and a bit of a boring one at that. If Greta Gerwig can’t make it captivating, nobody can.
mjnagelJan 10, 2020
This movie was an okay time waster. It’s incredibly mediocre and not worthy of the praise it seems to be receiving. I went because of the high critic reviews. The only reason it has such good critic reviews is because of the politicalThis movie was an okay time waster. It’s incredibly mediocre and not worthy of the praise it seems to be receiving. I went because of the high critic reviews. The only reason it has such good critic reviews is because of the political messaging. The plot was boring. I should’ve known I not to trust critic reviews. Expand
GLADIADORJan 13, 2020
É um filme ok, nada de mais, acho que se eu fosse mulher eu iria gostar mais, ele é um pouco arrastado so uma vez que eu ri na maior parte não
Bill_NyeJan 7, 2020
This movie expects you to have background knowledge the book’s story. No date for the period of time the film took place was shown and no “6 month’s later” either.