Arrow Films | Release Date: February 8, 2019
Mixed or average reviews based on 27 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
imthenoobFeb 25, 2019
The story behind the rise of Norwegian Black Metal is truly captivating. The movie, however, is not. The cast is truly unlikable, The attempts at shock value fell flat and this movie felt almost oddly comedic to me at times too.
mma_SAIFOct 23, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. amazing jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj Expand
WeAllPodFeb 17, 2022
Where do I even begin with this. I have so many complaints, but I'll try to make this brief.

The fact that the main characters are all American bothered me to no end. Much of the main supporting cast was also American or or English, with the exception of Valter Skarsgård who plays Faust and Arion Csihar who is actually the son of Attila Csihar. The actors themselves are good actors, nothing against them, but I would have loved this to have actually been played by Scandinavian actors. Heck if there were some actors that were from elsewhere, but could pull off a Scandinavian accent, then fine.

Jonas Åkerlund was in Bathory for their first album which many will argue was the first black metal album. To say he doesn't have clout would just be a lie. Though he went into filmmaking when, according to him, black metal became too serious. That said, it doesn't absolve him of making a movie about underground black metal, but for a very mainstream audience. That's not something that's easy to do and honestly just shouldn't have been attempted at all.

The character of Ann-Marit is unnecessary. Plain and simple. Being a female metalhead myself, it's always annoying to see because Euronymous did have girlfriends, but it was nothing like Ann-Marit from everything I've read.

While the average person probably doesn't care about the inaccuracies, for a lot of the metal world this story is very important. I mean, they missed a giant opportunity about Glen Benton meeting Euronymous (and yes, I know there's a lot of dispute around that meeting, but it's such a famous thing that it's shocking they didn't even touch on it).

There's not enough black metal. I know this was supposed to be for mainstream audiences, but it still bothers me.

Pretty much the only positives are the actors and that it really upset Varg cause let's face it, Varg is an ****

If you actually are interested at all in what really happened during that time, I highly recommend you watch Until The Light Takes Us.