Universal Pictures | Release Date: December 22, 1999
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 83 Ratings
Watch Now
ErickCOct 5, 2005
Hats off to jim carrey he really is andy in this movie amazing, breathtaking! a must see!
MithrasFeb 16, 2008
A hilarious movie, regardless of its capture of Kaufman's life. I have never even heard of Kaufman before this film, and while accuracy to historical events / people in any film does add a lot to someone who knows the history, or A hilarious movie, regardless of its capture of Kaufman's life. I have never even heard of Kaufman before this film, and while accuracy to historical events / people in any film does add a lot to someone who knows the history, or someone seeking a resource from which to learn about the history, I personally do not believe accuracy should factor in one's opinion of a movie; this is of course to the extent that it does not disgust through blaspheming the character to the point that it could be seen as bad taste. So from a completely separate from previous experience viewpoint, this movie was hilarious and enjoyable through and through. Expand
MaximI.Aug 8, 2008
I'me not a touchy guy, we Russians have lived thru so much thru our history that crying is the last thing we do. But after this movie, i cried. I remember when i first saw it, i was 14. Jim is a genious. He's an amazing comedy I'me not a touchy guy, we Russians have lived thru so much thru our history that crying is the last thing we do. But after this movie, i cried. I remember when i first saw it, i was 14. Jim is a genious. He's an amazing comedy player, the greatest the American continent ever new. And as we have seen, he's an amazing drama player. When he combines it, it's cruel. People cant take it. Nothing makes you want to cry more then laugh thru tears, and shurely in the true way he does it. If you want robots with iron heads (empty inside, like those who watch it), dont visit this. Really. The sad end, the amaizing person he played, how cruel a world can be to a man. Great movie. Expand
TokyochuchuJun 3, 2012
I had no interest or connection with Andy Kaufman besides liking R.E.M and pro wrestling, but Man on the Moon proved an entertaining and enlightening biopic. The movie is well made and has a truly excellent central performance by Jim Carrey.I had no interest or connection with Andy Kaufman besides liking R.E.M and pro wrestling, but Man on the Moon proved an entertaining and enlightening biopic. The movie is well made and has a truly excellent central performance by Jim Carrey. It doesn't really inspire me to check out Kaufman's body of work but it was definitely worth watching. Expand
jp992751Jan 18, 2011
watching it you deeply desire to know more about the person the movie is about. Man on the Moon did this for me. It gave me a deep desire to learn more about Andy Kaufman and a want to have witnessed the man before his demise (or is he stillwatching it you deeply desire to know more about the person the movie is about. Man on the Moon did this for me. It gave me a deep desire to learn more about Andy Kaufman and a want to have witnessed the man before his demise (or is he still around somewhere still pulling pranks? ;) Whatever the reality is Carrey gave a performance of the life time, I can't say he portrayed Kaufman perfectly as I never really witnessed anything Andy had ever done, but if he was as Jim Carrey portrayed him than I am sure he was brilliant. Bravo to Jim and bravo Man on the Moon a movie for anyone who appreciates good drama, comedy, and a person who was so revolutionary in both that he was never was appreciated for what he did but now we can appreciate it. Expand
lasttimeisawJan 26, 2015
I enter the film while being literally oblivious of who is Andy Kaufman, as far as I know, the film is mostly famed because it hitherto has been Jim Carrey’s most Oscar-worthy performance, yet being blatantly snubbed again after his dramaI enter the film while being literally oblivious of who is Andy Kaufman, as far as I know, the film is mostly famed because it hitherto has been Jim Carrey’s most Oscar-worthy performance, yet being blatantly snubbed again after his drama venture in Peter Weir’s THE TRUMAN SHOW (1998, 8/10).

So in my case, the film is a dedicative portrait of an eccentric entertainer whose ideology of performance is all about entertaining himself and treat his audience as a receptacle of his sensational idiosyncrasy and excruciatingly manipulative fabrications disguised as parody or mockery. Yet, during his short life-span (Andy passed away in 1984 at the age of 35), this methodology makes him a unique figure in the canvas of American comedians (although he would never condescend himself as a “comedian”).

keep reading my review on my blog, google: cinema omnivore, thanks
SpangleDec 16, 2013
Ok movie right here. Jim Carrey kills it, however, the rest of movie feels as though it's missing something, like something feels a little off (which I guess is appropriate).
LEOvsMAOApr 21, 2020
Beautiful film, but as I see not for everyone. Kaufman would smile that fact. Rest In Peace - genius.
FranzHcriticMay 27, 2014
While as a whole, Miloš Forman created an almost mawkish depiction of the enigmatic Andy Kaufman, with all the cliché's of a biographical film. Jim Carreys almost uncannily identical portrayal of Kaufman, is not even an adaptation of theWhile as a whole, Miloš Forman created an almost mawkish depiction of the enigmatic Andy Kaufman, with all the cliché's of a biographical film. Jim Carreys almost uncannily identical portrayal of Kaufman, is not even an adaptation of the person, but a translation, something that' s seldom seen from palatable or even capable biographicals. It is his magnum opus, and the Academy Awards I think failed to recognize his comedic talent. Though the Golden Globes didn't, as they are more fair. Expand
Meth-dudeOct 19, 2017
It was a pretty interesting biopic. Jim Carrey portrayed Andy Kaufman very well and the movie had a couple of good moments, unfortunately, it was also a little bit boring and we didn't learn anything new. You should watch it if you likeIt was a pretty interesting biopic. Jim Carrey portrayed Andy Kaufman very well and the movie had a couple of good moments, unfortunately, it was also a little bit boring and we didn't learn anything new. You should watch it if you like Kaufman or Carrey, but if not, you can find better biopics out there. Expand
beeanadouAug 1, 2019
Not entertaining at all. Don't think most of jokes are interesting at all, perhaps the whole story is mocking the Hollywood Comedy industry, but something's missing to make all of this work, anyway the whole thing is too fake to even judge.
AndreDaMeaJan 26, 2019
This is a movie that shows Jim Carey range as an actor as well as presents to us, people that did not have been born yet when kaufman came along. He is or was a genius.
BenWomackJun 29, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Andy Kaufmann was an entertainer, who died at 35 from a rare form of lung cancer.

This is a telling of his life. Starts with him as a child, playing on his own, and his father coming up to his room, saying Andy, you need an audience. As a viewer, you see Andy develop his act. He played Tony Clifton, an irate club singer. Also Latka, a diminutive refugee, (which performance got Andy a job on Taxi, a sitcom.)

Andy’s time at Taxi is dealt with via montage. He becomes more interested in wrestling.
Andy is shown, suffering from hubris, ironically. He wrestles women. ( Nice constant scenes between Andy and his mentor played by Danny DeVito- sensitively handled. ) A friend is shown, “helping Andy out”, showing him to the brothel. During his wrestling phase, Andy takes up with a more permanent partner, Lynne. He dies.

Through-out, there are scenes of him discussing a prank with a stooge. When Andy goes to the Philippines for (unidentified healing practice), when it's clear he is ill, he sees that the shaman only pretends to take a cancer out of someone- and Andy laughs on the operating table (before dying) – the joke is on him now; he is not the only, practical joker around.

So what to make of it overall. We are being very sentimental here, but I put it to you how humour is quite an un-sentimental beast. There is often an enemy- and it makes enemies. Show you my world, make you laugh, I have your sympathy. You see what I am up against.

Mr Carrey seems to have interpreted Mr Kauffman as a loveable simpleton (albeit with a bit of stare).

Innocence, then, here, is, in some way, behaving like a child. And that is cynical?, because it says?, there is no way of being innocent and an adult.

I found myself feeling sad... but I wish the m.p. had a bit more breadth and gravity- counterbalance.
Toasty87Jul 16, 2020
A very respectful tribute but feels rushed and rushed from start to finish.