Provident Films | Release Date: May 9, 2014
5.3
Mixed or average reviews based on 33 Ratings
Watch Now
Trev29Sep 3, 2014
I like the idea of a family friendly comedy, but the only way to describe this movie is "yikes". It has a story foundation and then it abandons of all that for some really stupid wild goose chase that takes up the majority of the film.
TheQuietGamerSep 5, 2014
I was surprised to learn that this movie has ties to Affirm Films, whose work consists of movies like 2011's "Courageous." That's right it's a christian-based movie aimed at families. While I've enjoyed previous works from them it was becauseI was surprised to learn that this movie has ties to Affirm Films, whose work consists of movies like 2011's "Courageous." That's right it's a christian-based movie aimed at families. While I've enjoyed previous works from them it was because they held true to their beliefs and strongly held them as the basis for their movies. That might have rubbed many the wrong way, but I've always respected them for it.

With Moms' Night Out I feel they kind of sold out. The films christian values are pushed down and the style is reminiscent of the Hangover movies, which means a string of moments that just get bigger and crazier as it goes on, although expectedly toned down. All of it just so they can attract a larger audience. The problem is outside of some rare moments, it isn't all that funny. You can clearly see where the inspiration comes from, and that unoriginality sinks into the humor. You've seen it all before in the r-rated comedies it's trying so hard to be the PG version of.

It also doesn't help that the majority of the characters are annoying stereotypes that are blown wildly out of proportion. Lead Sarah Drew's character is the worst offender. They try hard to capture how difficult motherhood is, but they do it by overly exaggerating the characters "mom" personality to the extreme. IT's annoying.

So the movie tries hard to be something it's not, and quite honestly given it's ties it shouldn't have been anyway. Still it doesn't hurt that it is a wholesome, family film. It's just a shame there are plenty of better options out there. It tries to grab both stressed out mothers and the Hangover movie crowd, and instead ends up pushing them both away. In the process it also alienates the crowd who typically like their movies. It's a sell out that failed to sell out.
LeZeeDec 14, 2016
The mothers' adventure on the night of Mother's Day.

The mothers' adventure on the night of Mother's Day.

I was not interested in this till I saw 'Bad Moms'. A very similar film, but it came first. The Erwin brothers directed it, the ones who made 'October Baby' which I loved it. This film was a slow starter, but once took off, it became non-stop. The entire first act has been just a build up, like how moms are suffering. After that, everything seems so adventurous. It's a one night tale and the plot was developed with a series of confusions. Silly and so random events, but mindlessly enjoyable.

It all begins when three moms were introduced like how they're struggling to maintain the family, particularly the children. During the Mother's day, they decide to take off the night and have a relaxed dinner. But nothing goes according to their plan, and so their adventure begins when their car got stolen, followed by roaming around the city at all night. After all, every story has to end and how this one does was revealed in the remaining parts.

The cast was the best thing I liked. The story was average, because most of the film was improvised than scripted. So some of the parts were funny, though you won't laugh loudly. The end should have been better, except that part the overall film was better than I thought, only entertainment wise. So I had a decent time with it and I can't say you would do the same, but definitely not bad to try once.