Neon | Release Date: September 13, 2019
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 16 Ratings
Watch Now
TVJerryOct 9, 2019
Don’t try to figure this film out. Just go for a unique cinematic encounter. It's set in the mountains and jungles of an unnamed country, where a group of young "soldiers" is charged with securing a kidnapped woman. Many of the details, likeDon’t try to figure this film out. Just go for a unique cinematic encounter. It's set in the mountains and jungles of an unnamed country, where a group of young "soldiers" is charged with securing a kidnapped woman. Many of the details, like the politics and their purpose aren't clear, but it doesn't matter. This film is all about distinctive visuals and inventive direction by Alejandro Landes. The cast is enthralling and their plight becomes more fraught as things begin to deteriorate. You can try to parse out the references to classic books and movies, but don't waste too much time on that. Just let it wash over you and enjoy one of the most unusual and compelling films this year. In Spanish with subtitles. Expand
netflicSep 23, 2019
It is a Colombian movie about a group of teenage guerrilla soldiers keeping a woman hostage who they call “Doctora”. They are boys and girls, children by age, but their toys are real guns and they use them every day. These young soldiersIt is a Colombian movie about a group of teenage guerrilla soldiers keeping a woman hostage who they call “Doctora”. They are boys and girls, children by age, but their toys are real guns and they use them every day. These young soldiers belong to a group very vaguely named “Organization”. It is so vague it could be in Colombia or any other country. They do speak Spanish though.

Nothing is known about their Organization’s plight or how these young soldiers were recruited.
The whole plot is quite punctured with many things left to imagine.

This is not a movie that I would recommend for everyone but I enjoyed it.
Especially outstanding were cinematography and casting. All performances were quite remarkable as well.
GreatMartinOct 4, 2019
For the past 19 years I have been going to a movie matinee on Friday, missing only 2, because in the back of my mind, for some stupid, unexplained reason that I know is not true, I think the world will come to an end. I wish I had taken thatFor the past 19 years I have been going to a movie matinee on Friday, missing only 2, because in the back of my mind, for some stupid, unexplained reason that I know is not true, I think the world will come to an end. I wish I had taken that chance today.

I had a choice between "Joker" and "Monos". I am a huge fan of Joaquin Phoenix and don't think I have ever missed a movie he has been in but I had heard about all the violence in "Joker" and I do not like seeing violence in movies no matter how phony I know it is but then I have never heard of "Monos". I looked up the synopsis of the latter and it seemed 'different' so I decided to go see that movie.

When I got to The Classic Gateway Theatre I sort of smiled and, at the same time felt good about, to see that there were 2 fully dressed and armed policemen stationed at/in the auditorium that "Joker" was playing! "Monos" here I come.

After 102 minutes watching a group of teenagers running amok, supposedly guarding an American hostage, I couldn't see how "Joker" could have been more violent, and "Monos" is one of those pictures that is so indecipherable I really want to ask you to go and see it and then tell me what it was/is about and what it is all suppose to mean? I came home and read a few critics reviews and I still ahve that question!

I won't even ask how and/or what that American is doing in the jungles of Columbia---I guess that is where they are because the movie was made there---but who are the kids and what are they doing there?

"Monos" is certainly a movie I don't recommend but wouldn't mind if you went to see it and emailed me what it was about!!
Brent_MarchantSep 28, 2019
Despite excellent cinematography and fine film editing, this would-be epic saga of a group of adolescent rebel commandos harboring an American hostage in the mountains and jungles of Latin America aspires to heights of profundity that itDespite excellent cinematography and fine film editing, this would-be epic saga of a group of adolescent rebel commandos harboring an American hostage in the mountains and jungles of Latin America aspires to heights of profundity that it never quite reaches. With an almost complete lack of back story, an episodic meandering narrative and unresolved plot lines at movie's end, this film seems to strive at making a statement it can never quite articulate. Yet another case of hype trying to outmuscle quality and failing miserably. Expand
pablo_delReySep 14, 2019
This is a masterpiece this is real Colombian movie. I'm so happy 4 this. This deserves an Oscar nomination
GinaKOct 9, 2019
A harrowing yet fascinating film about very young rural guerrillas in Colombia. It is easy to hate the adult who recruits them and to pity the woman whom they take captive and treat pitilessly, but understanding the young guerrillasA harrowing yet fascinating film about very young rural guerrillas in Colombia. It is easy to hate the adult who recruits them and to pity the woman whom they take captive and treat pitilessly, but understanding the young guerrillas themselves is another matter since we know nothing about their backgrounds and the film soon becomes a contemporary and even more brutal and naturalistic version of “Lord of the Flies.” The film has its merits but provides much less insight than the earlier film. Expand
moviemitch96Oct 14, 2019
A very half-baked film if you ask me. On the surface, it's seemingly 'Lord of the Flies' meets 'Apocalypse Now', but regardless, this film felt like it was wandering around aimlessly all over the place. The editing, especially towards the endA very half-baked film if you ask me. On the surface, it's seemingly 'Lord of the Flies' meets 'Apocalypse Now', but regardless, this film felt like it was wandering around aimlessly all over the place. The editing, especially towards the end became very confusing and disjointed to me to the point where I had no idea what was going on. Films can be weird and random if it aims to serve the story (David Lynch seems to be the only one to have truly mastered this concept). Everyone else that tries it always seems to be setting themselves up for defeat. Case in point here with this film. Overall, it really was an intriguing first half, but the second half is really where the film lost sight of what it was aiming for or trying to communicate. Expand
amheretojudgeSep 17, 2019
It is a film that is not advised to see at night or day or alone, just stand on your toes.

Monos Alejandro Landes, the writer and the director of this adventure has a way too explosive nature to be coherent in his speech. And yet,

Monos

Alejandro Landes, the writer and the director of this adventure has a way too explosive nature to be coherent in his speech. And yet, everything is sound and clear by the end of the day. The images shown in the film might be the only balanced thing in his world. If it brags about the beauty, the spectacle that these humans are tested around, then there is also this pompous animosity on jolting down your eyes to the last meticulous dilemma one faces in nature. And it is harrowing frankly. The thriller isn't thrilling. It is scary. The sadistic approach barrs not just rationality and loyalty but morality and ethical reasons.

Reasons that helps not only us but the writer itself to structure its set pieces. For if there is no law or rules or any finite boundary, there will be no ecstasy at the end of the line. Yet, the group of characters that we are told about, does so. And not going against each other. It is not you standard slaughter house. But the lease that they keep breaking, from someone who is above them and above them and below them. And it is not just them doing this but someone robs them too.

And now you are thinking that it is fair in this situation. This phenomenon just broke its first law. And in order to whip you or more accurately corner you, the writer takes a detour just to checkmate you. And now you are back to your position. And this is something that happens in the latter stage of the film. After which you realize that Monos is a hostage film. Not captured by some mercenaries but an idea that has apparently taken hold of everyone like a disease, a parasite that is killing us.
Turibe78Sep 13, 2019
WOW!!! I have never been so shaken by a movie... in an amazing way! The story has a way of pulling you in and taking you a wild ride... with an amazing score by Mica Levi and surreal cinematography. The movie is still in my head since it doesWOW!!! I have never been so shaken by a movie... in an amazing way! The story has a way of pulling you in and taking you a wild ride... with an amazing score by Mica Levi and surreal cinematography. The movie is still in my head since it does not give you a happy ever after ending tied up in a little bow but leaves you questioning what will happen. And in real life that is the situation. Highly recommend it!! And if you can please watch it in the theater.... you need the big screen for the sound and image. Expand
Peter19Sep 16, 2019
excellent movie, is a reflection of the violence, adolescence and the drives of life itself in Colombia between war
delcymasaSep 19, 2019
W O W !!! Simply WOW!!! Because of the photography, music, scenarios, wild sound and wonderful actors, I found myself in a pleasant sensory overload!!!... Simply W O W