Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: September 2, 2016
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 76 Ratings
Watch Now
eagleeyevikingMay 25, 2017
Straying from the insightful, thought-provoking, and interesting examination of human hybrids in the first half of the movie, into a B-movie action thriller, robs ‘Morgan’ of its rich potential. While the thriller and action aspect is good,Straying from the insightful, thought-provoking, and interesting examination of human hybrids in the first half of the movie, into a B-movie action thriller, robs ‘Morgan’ of its rich potential. While the thriller and action aspect is good, it's tendency to grapple with complex ideas without developing it, is annoying. Expand
ThegodfathersonSep 3, 2016
A visually arresting, well acted film. Sadly, Morgan falls flat when it steers to deliver a weak and cheesy experience, instead of the science-fiction horror film we were promised. It does not give you the jeepers-creepers you saw in theA visually arresting, well acted film. Sadly, Morgan falls flat when it steers to deliver a weak and cheesy experience, instead of the science-fiction horror film we were promised. It does not give you the jeepers-creepers you saw in the trailers, and the A.I Morgan itself was a much poorly excecuted character than the rest of the cast. Luke Scott helms the throne of direction and does a decent job, Kate Mara is excellent as an accountant who is chased and psychologically manipulated by Morgan. It does deserve a re-watch to completely understand some components of the film, and is one I can get back to. Morgan is perfect for sci-fi junkies, but normal moviegoers will get confused if this is a horror film or an action movie. Still, Luke Scott brings us a well acted and visually compelling thriller, give it a watch. Expand
EpicLadySpongeSep 2, 2016
Don't let its genres fool you. This movie does not use any sign of horror whatsoever and Morgan is not designed to be one. Instead, Morgan is supposed to be some sort of sci-fi thriller which I'm pretty okay with that. Sadly, what Morgan doesDon't let its genres fool you. This movie does not use any sign of horror whatsoever and Morgan is not designed to be one. Instead, Morgan is supposed to be some sort of sci-fi thriller which I'm pretty okay with that. Sadly, what Morgan does is what Morgan fails to deliver. Believe me, if it was actually horror, it would've scored a 2, but it's actually not. It's far more than that and it's still not horror regardless what you say. Now onward to the problem; Morgan supposedly doesn't have a purpose for its plot. Sad news, but it's true. It does seem that they rushed the plot or something like that. Don't definitely let out your tickets to see Morgan. Keep it personal and don't expect much whenever it comes to seeing Morgan and do not say it's a horror because it's far more than that. Expand
KadeemluvmusicSep 4, 2016
I know it's not directed by Ridley Scott, but Morgan is a decent but sometimes entertaining thriller. I saw the trailer for the movie and it's kinda like an awesome mashup between Ex-Machina meets Aliens, but in a time where Ridley justI know it's not directed by Ridley Scott, but Morgan is a decent but sometimes entertaining thriller. I saw the trailer for the movie and it's kinda like an awesome mashup between Ex-Machina meets Aliens, but in a time where Ridley just completely lost his rhythm thanks to a slew of his disappointments (Exodus: Gods & Kings and Robin Hood), Morgan still has enough elements to an underrated gem (because it's directed by first-time director Luke Scott, son of Ridley and late brother, Tony). I love the casting in this movie: Kate Mara, Paul Giamatti, Michelle Yeoh, Jennifer Jason Leigh, etc. I thought the performances were great. And so does newcomer Anya Taylor-Joy, who delivered a stunning performance in the acclaimed indie horror classic, The Witch. But my biggest problem is Morgan (the character and her ability to control her inner Carrie with some weird supernatural powers). Luke thought it would be a great idea, it's just that the execution for her character development in Morgan just wasn't quite there. Morgan's backstory feels dumbfounded and the filmmakers just rushed the timing of the character too quickly so that if it does sounded like the next great horror movie I've been waiting for but executed in a different pasture. I was also disappointed at the marketing of this movie seeing that Fox (which is not having a great 2016 so far) wanted to invest what should've been a big opportunity to hope for a comeback after a slew of misfires this summer. But still it wasn't. Seriously, this is a perfect thriller I should definitely watch too. I'm sure hope it should be a future cult movie soon that could now join "Cube," "Gattaca," and "Event Horizon" as underdogs of underrated sci-fi movies none of us ever saw in theaters. Morgan deserved that honor, give it a rental first. Expand
LeZeeDec 14, 2016
Knowing it's a research, the mistake is emotionally attached to the subject!

Knowing it's a research, the mistake is emotionally attached to the subject!

A nicely made sci-fi-thriller, but the entire storyline was built on a very familiar plot. You can find it similarities with 'Splice', 'Uncanny' and 'Ex Machina', but I think overall not a bad attempt. I did not get impressed, so do most of the people who saw those films, especially the end scene. Though it is entertaining, particularly when it turns into an action mode.

The corporate that invested in a research sends an investigator named Lee after the project was met with a small accident. During an interview, the chaos unleashes and the lab started to fall apart. The survivours does not know who to trust, but decides to save their subject. What really follows after that will be totally unexpected and another twist before the final credits.

Knowing it's a research, the mistake is emotionally attached to the subject. That's what all the similar topic films reveal. Then what's the point of doing such test, being doctor, studied psychology. For a film plot, they wanted to use the human sentiments and errors. Otherwise, science does not really deal like what was shown in this film.

From a new director, with the decent actors, particularly Kate Mara's best in an action avatar. I liked the Anya in the film 'The Witch' and this is another good performance by her in the title role. Felt like it is a short film, because the pace was so good, even though the story was a one-liner. Minimal cast film and takes place in a remote place secret research lab. A film not for everyone, but not bad for once viewing.

mijxeroSep 8, 2018
Morgan was pretty good. It had pretty good pacing that didn't linger too long on any one part. It does have a lot of stupid people doing stupid things, but I guess it advances the plot. All in all, it was above average.
RalfbergsApr 11, 2017
Okay movie, the plot became too linear at one point and you really just expected movie to end as you knew two outcomes what will happen. Okay there were some twists, but still, it became quite generic and I think it could have been lotOkay movie, the plot became too linear at one point and you really just expected movie to end as you knew two outcomes what will happen. Okay there were some twists, but still, it became quite generic and I think it could have been lot better. Not bad though, good acting and has some other good moments too. Expand
badgerryan19May 19, 2017
Kind of a mixed bag. I thought everyone gave great performances. Especially Kate Mara and Anya-Taylor Joy who is now a star in the making. The movie's first half is interesting and a little slow but I didn't mind but I felt the second halfKind of a mixed bag. I thought everyone gave great performances. Especially Kate Mara and Anya-Taylor Joy who is now a star in the making. The movie's first half is interesting and a little slow but I didn't mind but I felt the second half betrayed the first half to an extend by going full on Hollywood style action. But there is lot to like here. Expand
Muskrat147Sep 5, 2016
Though it takes a while to start moving, Morgan features an immersive visual style and an incredible ensemble cast, as well as a well intended effort from Director Luke Scott to make up for its somewhat recycled story-line.
AGeekNamedBobSep 12, 2016
MORGAN is latest take on the age-old concept of “scientists create life. Life doesn’t act they way the scientists desired. That is, life keeps trying to kill them.” One of last year’s best films (perhaps the best depending on when you ask me)MORGAN is latest take on the age-old concept of “scientists create life. Life doesn’t act they way the scientists desired. That is, life keeps trying to kill them.” One of last year’s best films (perhaps the best depending on when you ask me) EX_MACHINA used that base in an original, thought provoking and absolutely engrossing manner. MORGAN is not EX_MACHINA, the first film as a director from writer Alex Garland. I bring this up for MORGAN is also a first feature film, this time for Luke Scott, son of famed director Ridley. This is writer Seth W. Owen’s second produced feature. So new to the job is not an excuse when EX_MACHINA is compared. For genre films from famous director's sons, you should also check out ANTIVIRAL from David Cronenberg's son Brandon.

Scott gathered a stable of great character actors to try to give life to Owen’s underwritten script. Most notable is the continually underappreciated Rose Leslie, best known as Ygritte in GAME OF THRONES (“Yew knoew nuthin’ Jon Snew”) and the underseen HONEYMOON. The exception is Kate Mara, who continues to bland her ways through roles. I suspect people keep thinking they’re getting her more talented sister, just as I can only guess the actors in MORGAN thought they were getting Luke’s more talented father (or owed him a favor). Stalwarts like Brian Cox, Toby Jones and Michelle Yeoh each have a few scenes to sell along with people you might not have seen in many things before – including Chris Sullivan, making his second painful encounter this year with a genetically enhanced strange little girl after his turn as the diner owner in STRANGER THINGS. Jennifer Jason Leigh is in this film, although I kept forgetting she was. Paul Giamatti is the most known, presenting a house-hold face to the picture in one overly long sequence that is seemingly meant to move sympathy further to the titular character. As Morgan herself, Anya Taylor-Joy is admirable, continuing her hopefully rise to fame from this spring’s period horror masterpiece, THE WITCH.

That sympathy for Morgan is one of the issues of the piece. It’s not that we, the audience, feel for her. It’s that the film, from sequence to sequence, doesn’t seem to be sure if it wants us to. The scientists are all likeable, so when thing to go pot as we all know they will, we feel bad for them; but if we also feel for Morgan there is a conflict there. Conflicting sympathies can work in a stronger film. If there were more exploration into what Morgan is, how she actually feels and the implications of her creation – that sympathy can go both ways. But it all remains simply at surface level. Films of this sort, even the other bad ones like SPECIES and SPLICE still try to bring up something new into the set up, but MORGAN has nothing to say. It doesn’t even try. It could be the focus is elsewhere but it doesn’t come through. Instead the lack of discussion into “what makes a person” is a gaping hole in the script. “But, Bob, isn’t Kate Mara the protagonist in the ads?” you ask. Why sure, reader, she is. But she’s cold and lifeless, distant and hard to indentify with. But I wonder if we are meant to. It maybe spoilers but not really with how telegraphed it is, but there is a twist with her character that would indicate we’re not meant to follow her despite her being the surrogate into this situation. This “twist” is so blatantly set up that I’m not worried about spoiling it.

Not just the character twist, but the entire film is telegraphed and empty. One can see every beat well before it happens, but the Scott has set it up in a way that it feels like he’s being clever and surprising. Its only in the programming where Scott attempts to make the film visually interesting or move in anyway. For fifteen minutes, the film becomes a slasher film, but creates no tension. Then comes the lowest energy car chase I’ve ever seen in film. Despite this lifelessness, it doesn’t drag – so that’s something. It just feels like it’s going through the motion.

MORGAN isn’t worth anyone’s time. Any film it reminds you of is better: even the SPECIES films. It brings nothing new to the subgenre. Instead, watch EX_MACHINA. Seen EX_MACHINA? Watch it again. Or JURASSIC PARK. That’s a create life that goes wrong for everyone else movie that can’t be beat.
skeptic303Oct 4, 2016
Morgan is an unfortunate September release that probably deserved more attention than it received. It was a short movie with an interesting plotline that had me invested. It was surrounded by great people and great performances. So why did itMorgan is an unfortunate September release that probably deserved more attention than it received. It was a short movie with an interesting plotline that had me invested. It was surrounded by great people and great performances. So why did it fail?
This movie contained a lot of structural issues that should be addressed. First, the characters were nearly dimension-less in a movie with a very interesting plotline or series of events. In Room (2015), the movie appeared to be split into two parts, but the character arcs were there and the characters themselves were very interesting, allowing the audience to find interest in both parts of the movie. This movie tried that approach without making the characters interesting, making the first half merely filler and the second half almost pointless. Even if Morgan was the best character in the movie, her character had no good motivation until the second part and she was an antagonist at best.
I would also like to comment on how in the second half of the movie, some of the plot points are rather absurd and there appears to be no reason for them. Overall: even with great performances and the plotline in the second half being at least interesting, the characters are shoddy and the whole movie fell apart pretty much because of that. Therefore, I can only grant Morgan a seal of expendability.
MoviesR_OKOct 22, 2017
Very boring and confusing movie. Lots of gore and violence that was not necessarily needed and confusing motivation as to why Morgan intended to be with Amy only. Sure, it has enough violence to keep us entertained and watching, but there isVery boring and confusing movie. Lots of gore and violence that was not necessarily needed and confusing motivation as to why Morgan intended to be with Amy only. Sure, it has enough violence to keep us entertained and watching, but there is not much content worthy of viewing once you actually want to understand everything going on in the movie. Expand
FibrofilmsSep 19, 2019
Super average and super boring. Decent cast though weirdly enough. If you want a similar vibe that’s worlds better try: Ex Machina