Cinelou Releasing | Release Date: September 16, 2016
Generally favorable reviews based on 47 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
JacksjusNov 12, 2016
I'm sorry but the critics and most of these user reviews has gotten this movie all wrong. Maybe they were expecting a comedy being that Eddie Murphy is the star in this, but to me this was a great movie. What's even more surprising is that itI'm sorry but the critics and most of these user reviews has gotten this movie all wrong. Maybe they were expecting a comedy being that Eddie Murphy is the star in this, but to me this was a great movie. What's even more surprising is that it displayed the beauty of interracial relationships without even bringing it up. Expand
DivinityItselfOct 20, 2016
A fairy tale with its feel good delivery scoring on most points. Realists should go look elsewhere as only a few earthly negatives are kept to keep the story told. Money, time, sex & lust are all motives that are disregarded and I can seeA fairy tale with its feel good delivery scoring on most points. Realists should go look elsewhere as only a few earthly negatives are kept to keep the story told. Money, time, sex & lust are all motives that are disregarded and I can see that for some this makes the story too unearthed. On the flipside much effort is put in the meme of enjoying life as a empathic human. Where Robertson acts as well as she always does, Murphy's performance is good, but perhaps deliberately kept low key to add mysterie and tension. After a good watch I'm left with a decent experience, but as real life was order of the day again, I felt that there's more that could have been done about the dept of the characters. The vibe of the movie lingered so in that regard it succeeded. Will watch again. Expand
StoryFanJan 15, 2017
This movie may be predictable, but it carries me along with such good acting that I don't care. This is well worth watching. What amazes me is the enormous disparity between the user reviews and critics. The only way to account for ratingsThis movie may be predictable, but it carries me along with such good acting that I don't care. This is well worth watching. What amazes me is the enormous disparity between the user reviews and critics. The only way to account for ratings of critics 37 (or 3.7 for comparison) and ratings by users of 7.1 is to say the critics have lost their bearings. There may be reasons for the low ratings by critics from an artistic standpoint, but when a movie resonates so well with average viewers, but not with critics, it simply reminds me that I am thankful for average viewers who give me a better sense of a movie's intrinsic value than the professionals. Thank you viewers; you are why I watched this in the first place. And you were right. Expand
tropicAcesSep 17, 2016
It was nice to see Eddie Murphy back in a movie on the big screen, however I wish it was something better than this. MR. CHURCH is emotionally manipulative and full of awkward and awful dialogue, with lines such as "don't you know? MiraclesIt was nice to see Eddie Murphy back in a movie on the big screen, however I wish it was something better than this. MR. CHURCH is emotionally manipulative and full of awkward and awful dialogue, with lines such as "don't you know? Miracles run in the Brody family!" making me cringe.

The whole film also screams "magical negro" with Murphy being the saving grace time and time again. Murphy is never given a chance to show his charisma and is instead trapped in a boring film.
Qgal5kapOct 16, 2016
Cute in theory. Murphy is good. The rest is **** terrible. Script and direction is quite **** The narration is cringe-MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bfoore90Feb 1, 2017
Great feel good movie that I happened to catch for free on Amazon Prime. Eddie Murphy was fantastic here, I just can't say enough about him in this movie.
RichardGonciOct 22, 2016
God, I so wanted to love this movie! Eddie Murphy for Chrissake! Looking luminously beautiful. But, the script is overwought, overwritten and, in the end, leaden. Without creating a "spoiler," any actual writer would have known where to makeGod, I so wanted to love this movie! Eddie Murphy for Chrissake! Looking luminously beautiful. But, the script is overwought, overwritten and, in the end, leaden. Without creating a "spoiler," any actual writer would have known where to make the major story-break. Too many secondary characters with too thin back-stories. Ironically, since so much of the narrative revolves around cooking, their seems not to have been a recipe for this screenplay. Watch it anyway just to revel in Eddy. Expand
skeptic303Sep 26, 2016
Mr. Church is about an African-American cook-slash-servant (Mr. Church) who develops a relationship with a family member who initially condemns his presence bitterly...for fifteen minutes.
Mr. Church is actually about an African American
Mr. Church is actually about an African American cook-slash servant who becomes acquainted with a family member who appreciated his comfort in her kind-of difficult scenarios...for the rest of the movie.
That would be fine if the people behind the camera developed a trying, but complex relationship like the one displayed in Inside Out or Room, but they only scratch the surface and bore the average moviegoer for 105 minutes, time that is better spent watching Don't Think Twice (2016).
The characters are not only based off of stereotypes, but they are considerably boring because they don't learn anything. Any conflict that, when focused on, could have paved the way for a deep film that had something to say about something was nuked after just around fifteen minutes. I have barely seen a film, like this, that tries every idea in the book to make you sad and in the end, it can't focus on that idea and adds to the sappiness of it all. It is a waste of time; wait for or find better movies.
LeZeeDec 4, 2016
People come together for a reason, but stay together for no reason.

People come together for a reason, but stay together for no reason.

According to me this film was silently made. I mean we only anticipate big production films and current famous director, actors' films, particularly the science fiction and superhero films as they are the trend now. The promotion begins from the day it was announced. So I did not realise when this one started to come to exist. But when I did come to know, all I know was it is an Eddie Murphy's film and I should give it a try. Because I felt like I haven't seen him for a decade.

After watching it, I totally stunned and asked myself is this the same Eddie we used to enjoy his comedies? Yep, but no. I mean the guy was the same, but I saw completely a new of him as an actor. He definitely chose a best script and this is the break he was looking for all these years. Initially Samuel L. Jackson was considered for the lead role, later replaced by him. I won't be surprised if he gets the Oscar nomination for the role he played. I don't care whether it is for a lead or supporting role, but I'll be very happy for the nod. And I also won't care if he wins or not, but this film and his role will remain special to me forever.

So what this film is about? It was the story of Charlie Brooks, a woman who recalls her memories of the life she spent together with a man called Church since she was a ten year old. It all begins when one day after waking up in the morning to find a stranger in her kitchen, Then she learns that he's their new cook assigned by her mother's ex-boyfriend. She initially hates him, but it does not remain the same way when time passes by. That's what this tale is going to reveal how far he remain in her family to help her ill mother. All the following events very beautifully told.

What I'm surprised the most was, it is not based on any book. Thanks for that, because usually the book fans attack such move. Like they usually say the adaptation to the screen is ruined the original material. Anyway, I'm film guy, I like books turned into the films, because I'm lazy to read them. But it was inspired by the real friendship, that's what the opening statement says. Which was actually from the writer's real life, though I believe many parts were altered and the new stuffs included. I'm sure I won't find another film like this any time soon, so maybe I would re-watch it.

"It's an awful feeling to love someone so much that you absolutely hate them for leaving you."

It has been a very long time since I have given a maximum score for a film. When I started to watch it, I did not think it would be the one, but it deserved that honour. The main reason was to I love it, it has no clich├ęs, I mean almost 90 per cent free from them. The first thing was, I though it is a food film and then it turned that down with only required amount of those contents keeping in its narration. Followed by I thought it could turn into a romance, but once again that theme as well sidelined to focus on the different event, I mean the series of events.

So now you might be confused what I am blabbering. Actually, this is the story of a ten year old girl till she reach her middle age and during that period of time, about a man who entered her life and stayed very close despite each other never revealed their personal life. Her school graduate and college days, followed by many events of her personal life as similar to the Mr. Church's life events at the same time, the film only concentrated the unusual relationship between them. So there's nothing wrong to call it another version of 'Driving Miss Daisy'. In fact, it was made by the same director.

Like I said, Eddie Murphy nailed his part. I hope he does more serious films like this and according to his age. I think this is what Adam Sandler should follow as well. The entire story was told from the Charlie's perspective that payed by the young sensation Britt Robertson. She was good as the Eddie, but her character was not designed to highlight the film, instead her character highlights Eddie's Mr. Church. She only reveals what she saw with her own eyes about the person she respects, despite it all began with a simple dislike. Beside she never had a father, never knew who her father was, so the Mr. Church takes that place conveniently without their's knowledge.

A heartwarming drama for the whole family. I did not find any obscene parts. It is now in my all time favourites list. The length was perfect and the pace was excellent. There's no major twist, like that stuns you at the final stage, but there were many small twists and turns all along. The film critics got all wrong, like usual, they proved they got no brain. This is a inspiring film. You will learn how to respect people around us, who respect us. Like cooking, books, caring for each other, privacy, many fine topics were covered. So watching it with the youngsters and kids might boost their moral attitude. So I feel it is a perfect weekend family film. Highly, strongly recommended.

smarttcareerApr 15, 2017
SJWs really, really hate this movie. Meaning it is really worth watching. Too many movies and TV shows that are really bad get favorable reviews around here if they portray a liberal type view. It's really ridiculous and they should all beSJWs really, really hate this movie. Meaning it is really worth watching. Too many movies and TV shows that are really bad get favorable reviews around here if they portray a liberal type view. It's really ridiculous and they should all be judged based mostly on their entertainment value not just because you agree with them politically. Eddie Murphy is a great actor and this movie has been judged not on its quality but on how someone thinks they SHOULD feel about it. You can't change history but you can and should learn from it. Expand
qMay 31, 2017
I watched "Mr. Church" and enjoyed it immensely. I wrote a Facebook post in which I highly recommended it to my friends and wondered why it had not received much wider distribution in theaters and much more critical acclaim. Then I read anI watched "Mr. Church" and enjoyed it immensely. I wrote a Facebook post in which I highly recommended it to my friends and wondered why it had not received much wider distribution in theaters and much more critical acclaim. Then I read an absolutely scathing review of it in which I was informed that Eddie Murphy was playing the role of a "servile Negro" who was a closeted gay man and that such a blatantly politically incorrect film is unsuitable for contemporary audiences. (The story was set in the 70s and 80s and was supposedly based on real events. Perhaps the reviewer believes certain stories simply should remain untold.) I don't believe I'm lacking in intellect or perceptiveness, but I must confess that I found the movie heartwarming and inspirational rather than offensive. Eddie Murphy's character would have been noble regardless of his race because Mr. Church demonstrated self-sacrifice and love. As is often demonstrated, there is an immense gulf separating the viewpoints of average Americans from those of journalists who dwell in cocoons that insulate them from--to put it bluntly--normalcy. Expand
moviefriendJan 25, 2017
A movie for movie lovers not afraid to sit down and enjoy a story. It leaves you feeling good about seeing a movie, it leaves you feeling happy and sad while not leaving anything out of this positive movie.
mlhuffstetlerOct 21, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The role was well played by Mr. Murphy.There was no color.Only love for one another.Unconditionally.As it should be. Hats of to Mr. Murphy.................... Expand
hardcorekiddMar 9, 2019
While this movie does has problems of plenty, it's mostly good because of Eddie Murphy's heart-stopping performance. I will give Mr. Church a B-. (7.2/10)
stef7930Dec 24, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mr. Church is a simplistic and effortless movie that doesn't do enough to create that special bond between us and its characters. The movie starts with young Charlie who (unreasonably) detests Mr. Church, the cook that has been appointed to take care of the girl and her dying mother. However, it only takes a few nice meals to change Charlie's mind who then start to like Mr. Church in a kind of obsessive way, invading his private life. Everything in the movie happens in such an effortless and a rather quick way, from the mother's death to Mr. Church's at the end of the movie. It makes it hard to care for the characters as the movie doesn't give us enough reasons to develop empathy. The only good thing is Eddie Murphy who is back in great shape. Expand