Magnolia Pictures | Release Date: November 1, 2013
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 277 Ratings
Watch Now
bob13bobJul 27, 2014
some very good cinematography paired with lazy writing with very little coherence, wrapping itself with arthouse editing and psuedo science philosophy; an extremely pretentious film. its a shame that that such good visuals are paired withsome very good cinematography paired with lazy writing with very little coherence, wrapping itself with arthouse editing and psuedo science philosophy; an extremely pretentious film. its a shame that that such good visuals are paired with bad writing.

Casting Leto a poor choice with such disjointed plots. He doesn’t have the charisma to pull you through this kind of story. If we compare this to films in a similar vein, The Fountain, Run Lola Run, or butterfly effect; its apparent how inferior it is. As Leto progresses the movie, his stoicis and aloofness just turns you off to giving a **** about what’s happening to him. Have you seen a less convincing father? Compared to the frenetic, emotional performance of Lola, her desperation sucks you through the movie. Its important to for the protagonist to draw the audience in to maintain tension and drama.

While this movie tries to pass itself off as something it’s not; interjecting itself with bill nye presentations throughout; it ironically is less logical and thought provoking than the “B” movie butterfly effect. Just one expample is the characters name Nemo Nobody, which the movie continuously hits your over the head with. They could’ve explained one time that Nemo means nobody. There’s reason why in 20,000 leagues, the name Nemo is used instead of “Nobody”. Nobody as a name is hokey and totally unconvincing.
ba1anseJan 5, 2017
If you are looking for a pretentious movie that tries to dazzle you with all the fancy montage, visual effects, abstruse physics theory that is the latest sci-fi trend, then this is the movie to go to, so as you don't mind one thing -If you are looking for a pretentious movie that tries to dazzle you with all the fancy montage, visual effects, abstruse physics theory that is the latest sci-fi trend, then this is the movie to go to, so as you don't mind one thing - telling a good story, which is the least thing on the director's mind apparently. If you have seen any of those Wearable Art costumes, which are meant for anything but functioning as normal clothes, you get what this movie is about. At least Wearable Arts don't pretend to be clothes. Expand
nebneb5813Mar 16, 2016
This movie is bad. It's just bad. Terrible. Awful. With an ending that preceded with a confusing storyline and a disastrous script to complement it. In this movie everything is plot line connected to another plot line. So much so that I feltThis movie is bad. It's just bad. Terrible. Awful. With an ending that preceded with a confusing storyline and a disastrous script to complement it. In this movie everything is plot line connected to another plot line. So much so that I felt very frustrated throughout the entire movie trying to keep it all straight, and trying to empathize with the characters in the movie while doing so. Expand
allenkaczSep 22, 2015
My God what an awful confusing mess this movie is. The positive reviewers had to be on very strong drugs to like this thing. Two hours and eighteen minutes I can not get back, avoid at all costs!
BigPunJul 31, 2017
Some people loved this movie and some didn't. I didn't. This feels like one of those ridiculous finger-paintings that some people go "ooh, ahh," and spent countless hours trying to determine what the mixture of color means to them whileSome people loved this movie and some didn't. I didn't. This feels like one of those ridiculous finger-paintings that some people go "ooh, ahh," and spent countless hours trying to determine what the mixture of color means to them while others will simply say "what in the fk is that?"

I'm quite a philosophical person and I have an incredibly open mind about a lot of things. I can appreciate deep-thinking and typically I love thought-provoking movies. Unfortunately, this really isn't one of them unless you want it to be - seriously. I could sit here for hours and talk about the many ideas that might stem from this film, but I don't want to because the film's chronology was purposefully muddled in a lazy attempt at sending a message. It wants you to sit there for 2 hours trying to make sense of what might be going on. Had it spent more time at the end lending its own cohesive meaning, it might have been brilliant . . . it didn't do that. It purposefully leaves you with a glimpse of its purpose and then - literally - laughs at you at the end of the movie. He was laughing at you, ladies and gentleman, like it or not. It was a horrible attempt at provoking thought and finishes up by laughing at you for having sat through it for two hours. If you want to continue justifying the 2 hours you just lost by contemplating its "deep meaning," then maybe you'll like it. But I'm not one to justify bad decisions I've made in my life. I just go with them. They're done. And maybe that's the whole point of this film. It's laughing at you because it knows you'll sit there thinking "what the fk did I just watch?" Good luck.
FabrizioMaffeiSep 12, 2018
A film that wants to play high touching difficult topics such as: the difficulty to make a choice; the connection between living beings; real unreal and dimensional; why we are born and we die ...
... And deals with all these issues very
... And deals with all these issues very badly.
It's not a movie, it's just a series of scenes joined together.
It looks like the product of a youtuber: the leaves that fall followed up to the road, the very slow focus, chain aphorisms, car lights that approach the lens slowly, etc.
It is truly an aberrant film, and heartbreaking for those who watch it.
It seemed not to end anymore.
It's hard to find words for old Jared Leto.
The soundtrack with songs that vary from classic to punk is beautiful ... but they bought the copyrights so...
So It seemed to me "Requiem for a dream", and I have nothing against Jared leto, even though he has acted in both of them, but these two are not films, they are MTV!
Finally if some you’re friend recommend you to watch “Mr Nobody”... read my comment and think about it twice!