Altitude Film Entertainment | Release Date: November 3, 2017
Generally favorable reviews based on 31 Ratings
Watch Now
MattBrady99Nov 10, 2017
LIFF31 2017 #3

"I think we should form a Dahmer fan club." "My Friend Dahmer" takes a comedic turn on Jeffrey Dahmer's story. Focusing on the back story without the kills. Ross Lynch, best known for the Disney channel, which isn't a joke or
LIFF31 2017 #3

"I think we should form a Dahmer fan club."

"My Friend Dahmer" takes a comedic turn on Jeffrey Dahmer's story. Focusing on the back story without the kills. Ross Lynch, best known for the Disney channel, which isn't a joke or an insult. Anywhere, through out the film Lynch pulls a pouty face and trying to look insane. Not saying he was bad, just needed to dial it back a bit. Other than that, decent effort.

Putting aside some terrible acting and awkward humor; we assume a film like this would fall completely flat on it's face, which didn't happen here. While not great, but it at least deserves some praise of making this come together. Marc Meyers focus on what Dahmer could've been if the darkness didn't take over him.
TVJerryDec 14, 2017
Former Disney Channel star Ross Lynch goes deep with this departure from his previous TV fare. He play the titular character, who later became notorious when he confessed to raping, killing, dismembering and cannibalizing 17 men. This filmFormer Disney Channel star Ross Lynch goes deep with this departure from his previous TV fare. He play the titular character, who later became notorious when he confessed to raping, killing, dismembering and cannibalizing 17 men. This film doesn't detail any of that, but pre-shows his awkward teen years. It exposes the family influences and twisted inclinations that would later develop into his depravity. Lynch plays the role with a pronounced slump and a deadpan demeanor, but manages to bring sensitivity to the intimate and sometimes uncomfortable portrayal. Anne Heche turns in an awkward, quirky performance as his mother. This intriguing curiosity doesn't have much dramatic impact and is a film that would be rendered uninteresting if we didn't know what the future held for Dahmer and his victims. Expand
psychomuseJun 30, 2018
It tells the macabre story of Jeffrey Dahmer, which is certainly engrossing material (like any tragedy that ends with grisly deaths). Unfortunately, the whole thing feels like an afterschool special with overwrought acting and patronizingIt tells the macabre story of Jeffrey Dahmer, which is certainly engrossing material (like any tragedy that ends with grisly deaths). Unfortunately, the whole thing feels like an afterschool special with overwrought acting and patronizing dialogue. The story is true and it is what it is, but this movie could have been made so much better. Expand
3ebfan511Jul 14, 2018
Unique film that shows a serial killer as a person, and not a "bad guy" that just terrorizes people like in most films. As a kid Dahmer was seen as at times funny, possibly even slightly popular, while also troubled, odd, a loner, and aUnique film that shows a serial killer as a person, and not a "bad guy" that just terrorizes people like in most films. As a kid Dahmer was seen as at times funny, possibly even slightly popular, while also troubled, odd, a loner, and a bunch of other things. I found it really interesting, and well done, although it is slow paced at least early on so..watch it late at night. Very mesmerizing for a late-night watch, and a unique take on a serial killer that actually made me feel kindof sorry for the guy. Unique take on the genre, and a well done film. Expand
GinaKNov 20, 2017
Want to see a real horror movie? Then see “My Friend Dahmer” and watch a serial killer of the worst kind in the making. It’s not really Dahmer’s fault – his mother is madly manic (a superb performance by Anne Heche) and his father is unableWant to see a real horror movie? Then see “My Friend Dahmer” and watch a serial killer of the worst kind in the making. It’s not really Dahmer’s fault – his mother is madly manic (a superb performance by Anne Heche) and his father is unable to cope. His “friends” at school treat him like a freak and urge him to act like a “spaz,” which they find hysterically funny, of course. No one notices that Dahmer has serious problems and is slowly going out of control. This is a sad and scary film, and I hope the film as a whole, its director, Anne Heche, and its star (Ross Lynch) receive recognition from “independent spirit” awards if not from the establishment. Expand
tiparSep 29, 2018
A 6 because I can not vote with a 5'5 and I always round up. NO HORROR, more a Black Comedy than Horror. Slow but well done and acted.
JLuis_001Feb 8, 2018
When I see a movie that deals with this kind of stories, most of the time I wonder how necessary it is to tell the beginnings of a true serial killer, regardless of whether his life was tragic, the result does not change his nature at all,When I see a movie that deals with this kind of stories, most of the time I wonder how necessary it is to tell the beginnings of a true serial killer, regardless of whether his life was tragic, the result does not change his nature at all, after all the crimes have already been committed and although sometimes it can be fascinating because of the darkness in which these people lived, sometimes it's not completely functional.

My Friend Dahmer balances between the quality of an interesting portrait about a serial killer and at the same time falls into several of the clichés already seen in this kind of stories, after all we are seeing the calm before the madness and the glimpses of its subject's damaged psyche is just that, glimpses to make clear that what this person was doing to dead animals later he would be doing it with human beings.

My Friend Dahmer is the adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name, created by John Backderf, who based it on his own experiences with Dahmer when they studied together in high school and that's the whole focus of the film, it's the dramatization of the personal life that killer had before exploding.

The film is certainly humanizing and it also hints that Dahmer could have followed a different life from having been able to express his genuine sexual feelings or sexual orientation I'm not sure of how to say it, but this is where the film stagnates because obviously Dahmer is a real murderer, but speaking in film terms, it seems that we are watching another Norman Bates, a man who ended up trapped and everything else repels him and although the line that follows the film never fades, it doesn't achieve a true crucial or definitive moment to cross the threshold of the basics.

It's worth it because the subject is interesting and the film has good quality. It's not memorable and there are better films on the same subject but the film is far from a waste of time, so I can recommend it.
OwenMansellMay 25, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story presents Jeff Dahmer as a shy quiet high school student, his hobbies seem a little odd but as the film progresses these hobbies become almost sinister with him nearly killing a dog from his interests in seeing what their insides looked like. If this film wasn't based off a true story the ending would have been a massive twist and shock. Expand
Bertaut1Dec 30, 2018
Tonally flawless, but narratively weak

Tonally flawless, but narratively weak

Taking place over the course of Jeffrey Dahmer's last year in high school, and culminating with the fateful meeting between Dahmer (Ross Lynch) and Steven Hicks (Dave Sorboro), writer/director Marc Meyers's My Friend Dahmer is based on the 2012 graphic novel by Derf Backderf (played in the film by Alex Wolff), who attended the same school as Dahmer, and formed a pseudo-friendship with him. The film is tonally brilliant, coming across like The Breakfast Club directed by David Fincher, perfectly capturing 80s tackiness. Narratively, however, it's extremely plodding, and could easily have been trimmed by 20 minutes.

It's also difficult to see what Meyers was trying to achieve; other than a couple of brief moments, we're never given any real access to Dahmer's interiority, so he remains an enigma, always at arm's length (which could have been the point). But is Meyers asking us to feel sympathy for Dahmer because he had a difficult adolescence, came from a broken home, couldn't make friends in school? Or is this simply a character study (if we didn't know it was about Dahmer, it could be any number of examinations of high school awkwardness)?

The lack of clarity regarding the film's theme is compounded by the scenes where it looks as if Dahmer is about to murder someone, only to stop at the last second. This is an especially strange way to generate tension, insofar as we already know his first murder was Hicks. Also, if the film is actually trying to say something of societal worth regarding serial killers, directionless youth, nature vs. nurture etc, trying to draw an audience into the narrative with the prospect of murder probably isn't the way to go about it. The film also fails to really get into the issues of Dahmer's sexuality, and his confusion and frustration about being gay. It's worth a look, and Lynch's performance is quite something, but if you're already familiar with Dahmer's story, you won't find much insight here.
40mangunshotMar 13, 2020
One of the best biographical films I've ever seen. An amazing, deep look into the childhood of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer. Great performance by Ross Lynch.