Orchard, The | Release Date: December 16, 2016
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 23 Ratings
Watch Now
Brent_MarchantJan 2, 2017
An inventive, semi-surrealistic chronicle of the manhunt for Chilean poet and Communist politician Pablo Neruda after the government issued an order for his arrest as a subversive. The sometimes-campy, somewhat noir-esque tale, told from theAn inventive, semi-surrealistic chronicle of the manhunt for Chilean poet and Communist politician Pablo Neruda after the government issued an order for his arrest as a subversive. The sometimes-campy, somewhat noir-esque tale, told from the perspective of the self-absorbed police inspector who fancied his search for his prey as his own work of art, presents its material with ample laughs, great style and beautiful cinematography. The film certainly pushes the limits of the biopic genre, but it does so in such a refreshing and well-written way that it's hard not to like this innovative offering. Far from normal, but immensely entertaining to watch. Expand
lvmnzApr 3, 2017
This film was quite spell-binding. Watched this a few months ago, so am light on specifics. Suitably dabbles metaphysically with the notion of autobiography.
GreatMartinFeb 8, 2017
When will I learn to walk out of a movie that is boring me?! I went to see “Neruda” only knowing that Pablo Neruda (Luis Gnecco) was a Nobel Prize winning poet and I left knowing even less. How much was true? How much was the imagination ofWhen will I learn to walk out of a movie that is boring me?! I went to see “Neruda” only knowing that Pablo Neruda (Luis Gnecco) was a Nobel Prize winning poet and I left knowing even less. How much was true? How much was the imagination of the screenwriter Guilermo Calderon and director Pablo Larrain? The last movie I saw by Larrain was “Jackie” and a lot of that was made up dialogue supposedly spoken by the first lady.

Is Detective Oscar Peluchonneau (Gael Garcia Bernal) a real person, a figment of Calderon and Larrain’s imagination and/or a nod to Inspector Jacques Clouseau of the Pink Panther series? Is it Bernal doing all the narration or a mix of him and Gnecco or Emilo Gutierrez (as Pablo Picasso)? Was his wife Delia (Mercedes Moran) as abused, mentally and emotionally, as pictured and being a very smart woman would she have put up with it for so long?

More important, did the meaning of the movie just go above my head? To be honest I really didn’t care whether all the questions were answered or not as I was just waiting for something, anything to keep me watching it for a few minutes, waiting for the film to redeem all the time I was wasting watching it!

For whatever reason, I can no more stop reading a book before ‘the end’ as bad as it may be, and I don’t walk out of a movie until the last scene as boring as it may be.

Save your time and money and don’t see “Neruda”!
LeZeeNov 29, 2017
Chile's own catch me if you can!

Chile's own catch me if you can!

It was Chile's Oscars pick. It made into Golden Globe, but not the Oscars. After I disliked his previous film, looks Larrain back in action. Though, not entirely. This was a biopic, more or less a Chilean version of 'Catch Me If You Can' with a less intensity in its contents. If you are a fan of this director's narration then you might enjoy it. But I thought it was a little boring, due to slow moving story. Especially, half of the film was a background narration than the direct dialogues between the characters. The issue was, it was like someone in the bed, ill and they are narrating a tale. Too low voice like whispering which is equal to lullaby.

On the other hand, now and then there were some fine scenes. It was a cat-mouse game. But nothing thrilling enough like you would expect from a cop chasing a bad guy films. The story was not deep or detail. Only those limited life events of Neruda were present on the screen. Most of them were silly ones, or maybe made it to look like that way. That's why it felt like a dark comedy. From the cop's perspective, don't expect like Sherlock Holmes level. The cast was good. The locations too, but not those projectors clips for backgrounds during vehicles scenes. So just an above average film. Though should have been better.